nicOS-Save2SFS - Saves system changes

Miscellaneous tools
nic007

#21 Post by nic007 »

belham2 wrote:Hi Nic,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. No, I completely gave up on Racy, as I had forgotten the troubles I had with it long ago. As you said, Precise is a much better base to work off of, and besides, JRB has made a nifty up-to-date version of Precise (5.7.2).

I have one question about Save2SFS:

Is there any way (YAD perhaps?) a popup box can happen between when you first click the 'save2sfs.script' and until the time it finally pops up the box showing the the progress of making the new ydrv,squashfs file?

On some of my old, uber-slow computers/laptops, it can take 60-120 secs between the time of clicking the save2fs.script and the ydrv.squashfs progress popup.

Is there a popup that could say "hey, save2fs is checking the system, hold your horses before doing anything else"? or something along those lines? :wink:
Well, it depends on the size of the files that needs to be copied over. How about just adding a note to the second dialog box. In fact, I've done so and replaced the script in the first post. Cheers.

Additional - Attached to this post is a modified script with additional rxvt popup boxes for the copy stage. I'm not releasing this one as official release because the size of some adrv's/ydrv's to be created may be so small that these additional boxes will be superfluous...but for you belham2 and others who may want it.

Edit: Final version attached to first post
Last edited by nic007 on Mon 25 Nov 2019, 02:44, edited 4 times in total.

mfb

#22 Post by mfb »

Here is a faster version (entirely based upon the good works from nic007), but you need to rejig the end of Line 7 to suit your chosen location of the particular sfs files - including the ydrv and its precise Pup name.

FURTHER to nic007's comment on the deletion limitation, similarly moving and/or renaming any directory or file also needs manual corrective action...
Attachments
mk.ydrv.jpg
(33.94 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
make_ydrv.gz
after any download delete fake .gz, amend Line 7 and make executable.
(330 Bytes) Downloaded 148 times
Last edited by mfb on Sat 02 May 2020, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#23 Post by nic007 »

Whilst making a small update to the script, I discovered a few errors in the original script. Please download the new one attached to the first post.

Also: See here for an unofficial version: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 02#1042502

nic007

#24 Post by nic007 »

I've decided to include the additional popup screen as progress indicator for the copying phase of the operation in the official final release of this application. Also made some final touches to streamline the process. Attached to first post, this replaces all previous.

jplt3

#25 Post by jplt3 »

Again thanks for your script @nic007

Tested on dpupbuster64 8.0 and Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

jplt3

#26 Post by jplt3 »

@nic007
Sorry if i'am off topic about your script !

Does your script change the pupmode of the puppy ?
It remain pupmode=5 ?!
It quiet disturbing for me to understand quiet well even after reading how puppy works

In fact i try to launch in cli mode some sfs files :

Code: Select all

sfs_load -n -c -q my_sfs.sfs
But i always have this window :
Attachments
capture.png
(23.43 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
JpLt

nic007

#27 Post by nic007 »

No, the script has nothing to do with pupmode. The pupmode depends on: whether you boot with a savefile or not AND the media you are booting from. If you boot without a savefile the pupmode should be 5 (no saves during session). If you boot from a builtin harddrive with a savefile the pupmode should be 12 (saves are made in real time). If you boot from a flashdrive with a savefile, pupmode should be 13 (saves in time intervals).
sfs_load: You shouldn't get any dialog popups when using the command with -c and -q options. You may encounter issues if the sfs you want to load is not located at the root directory of the drive or if it is located more than one level up from the parent directory. My sfs addons are all located in their respective puppy folders eg: /mnt/sda2/puppy605/My.sfs

jplt3

#28 Post by jplt3 »

Yes you are right , i must move my sfs to the root directory of my partition and it work well.

Thanks.
JpLt