Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 06 Dec 2019, 07:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
nicOS-Save2SFS - Saves system changes
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
nic007

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov 2019, 11:26    Post subject:  nicOS-Save2SFS - Saves system changes  

Many Puppyists use a savefile/folder with Puppy and this remains one of the popular methods to operate. However, I am of the opinion that a savefile should be kept small to limit the chances of corruption, quicker to copy/backup, save space, etc.) This script captures the changes to your system in the form of a new ydrv or adrv and replaces your old savefile. So you boot with the new ydrv and/or adrv and then you can select to create and make use of a smaller savefile at next reboot/shutdown. At any time (typically if the savefile gets too big again for your liking), you repeat the process.

This process can be used as an alternative way to remaster. Some benefits are that your original base sfs will always be untouched and stays the same, it's faster than the conventional remaster process, etc.

The attached zip file contains two scripts, ie. nicOS-Save2SFS and White-out. The White-out script should deal correctly with any white-out files in your ydrv and adrv. Put the white-out script in the /root/Startup folder.

How to use - At first run the nicOS-Save2SFS script during a session and choose to create a new ydrv which will replace your old savefile as well as any existing ydrv and adrv > delete ( better to just rename/backup first) the current savefile (and current ydrv and adrv if you have created one before) > boot with the newly created ydrv (make sure you don't boot with the old savefile/adrv/ydrv). At next reboot/shutdown you can create another smaller savefile (I recommend no bigger than 100MB). At any time afterwards you can run the script again to save to a new adrv (now you choose the adrv option). This will be a faster process as the bulk of your savings will already be in the previously created ydrv. The new adrv will replace any old adrv and the savefile at the time. Note that you can abandon the use of a savefile altogether if you so wish.

I don't use a savefile so I've done limited testing with the script... but I did run it through a few cycles with Tahr.

Also see here for a very safe and alternative method: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1041812#1041812
nicOS-Save2SFS.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  nicOS-Save2SFS.zip 
Filesize  2.29 KB 
Downloaded  17 Time(s) 

Last edited by nic007 on Mon 25 Nov 2019, 21:18; edited 8 times in total
nic007

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov 2019, 16:12    Post subject:  

Note that you should delete unnecessary stuff that may reside in your savefile (like contents of browser caches, normally in /root) before saving to ydrv/adrv because the ydrv/adrv is read-only and you can't just delete stuff from it. You will need to edit and repack it if you want to remove something from it later on.
Last edited by nic007 on Wed 06 Nov 2019, 20:39; edited 2 times in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov 2019, 16:14    Post subject:  

Thanks, nic.
nic007

PostPosted: Mon 04 Nov 2019, 10:55    Post subject:  

I've decided to also implement the ydrv in the process. See first post for details and attached zip file.
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2019, 07:10    Post subject:  

Cleaned up some code and made a few adjustments. This should be the final product and replaces the previous. Added to first post.
jplt3

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 02:14    Post subject:  

Hello,
i tested the script under bionicpup64.8.0 and it work like a charm , great thanks.

Maybe the script should rename the savefile after it create the adrv/zdrv ?
nic007

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 03:38    Post subject:  

The new ydrv/adrv replaces the savefile which should be deleted. The suggestion to rename the old savefile is merely a temporarily and safety measure. Renaming it wil ensure that it is not loaded with the new ydrv/adrv and you delete it after you are happy with the new ydrv/adrv. Same method is suggested with regards to replacing old ydrv/adrv's.
nic007

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 23:23    Post subject:  

Changed the selection process. You choose from a dropdown box to make either a ydrv or adrv, instead of making a selection with the Yes or No buttons as previously. This makes more sense and is less confusing. There's also a Cancel button now. Uploaded to opening post, replacing the previous.
jplt3

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 02:43    Post subject:  

Maybe i'am out of the topic here , but i'am little lost with how sfs works !
Now with your script it's awesome to be able to create my adrv on the fly with all my modifications .
Now i want to load multiple sfs files at boot ? i really don't know how to do ?
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 03:59    Post subject:  

jplt3 wrote:
Maybe i'am out of the topic here , but i'am little lost with how sfs works !
Now with your script it's awesome to be able to create my adrv on the fly with all my modifications .
Now i want to load multiple sfs files at boot ? i really don't know how to do ?

There are two "groups" of sfs files. The one group includes the adrv, ydrv, base sfs and zdrv which are all loaded automatically at bootup without user input (they must all be located in the same place as the base sfs).
Any other sfs files are called extra sfs files and they can be loaded as follows:
1. If you have a savefile you can specify which of them should be booted automatically at bootup: From Menu select > System > Boot Manager. They must all be located in the root directory or folder where your base sfs resides.
2. You can load them during a session using the SFS-load utility, just click on an extra sfs file for further options. In this case it does not matter where they are located.
jplt3

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 11:06    Post subject:  

There is an error at line 76 :
Code:
 line 76: w: command not found
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
jplt3

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 11:08    Post subject:  

Fortunatetly i make backups !

I was playing with the script and bouuum it wipe all the partittion where to save the adrv/zdrv ????!!!!!!!!!

It's quiet strange !

Not able to duplciate this strange behaviour !
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 11:47    Post subject:  

jplt3 wrote:
Fortunatetly i make backups !

I was playing with the script and bouuum it wipe all the partittion where to save the adrv/zdrv ????!!!!!!!!!

It's quiet strange !

Not able to duplciate this strange behaviour !

You probably selected a destination which does not have enough free space/your savefile did not have enough free space for the operation. Select a partition which does have enough space.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 13:54    Post subject:  

What affect on RAM usage does this setup have?
If everything is going to be in adrv, ydrv, zdrv, etc......
Those all get loaded into RAM.
A normal save file/folder just gets loaded into the working file system.
Becomes the location to read and write changes.

zagreb999

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 15:44    Post subject:  

regards to mr. nic

i used suite of mr. nic
with slacko, and it worked
perfectly....

one word: the best...

thanks!
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: