A good review for Puppy on a USB

Promote Puppy !
davids45

A good review for Puppy on a USB

#1 Post by davids45 »

From Gizmo Richards, a Windows guru's newsletter:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/flash-drive-linux.htm

There are earlier reviews in the link article of probable interest.

craftybytes

#2 Post by craftybytes »

An intriguing review - I had to read it all the way thru - after all the hassles he had with the other distro's trying to install to USB as he wanted, he FINALLY stumbled upon our Puppy and bingo IT worked for him - WELL WHAT DO YOU KNOW..HUH...!!

We Puppy users have known that we can use USB flash drives from, well WAY BACK..

It just really goes to show that ALL the work and heartache that Barry Kauler and many of the other Puppy guru's has been worth it in the long run..

Puppy is unique and DOES run like a greyhound when up and going - but - like greyhounds - can take a little time to get up and 'running' [ boot & load ]- especially if run on a low spec machine - BUT - that doesn't mean that Puppy is not a goer whether the machine is low end or even high end - Puppy still gets there as quick as the proverbial 'greyhound'..

It is nice to see a review as this one come out in favour of our Puppy..

The only thing that I can see that the reviewer missed was - which version of Puppy he used - not that it makes much difference to the final outcome..

Thanks for bringing this to our attention 'davids45'..

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

it's good read, especially the ending.

raffy

nice

#4 Post by raffy »

Nice review. Indeed, Xorg in Puppy handles wide screens out of the box.
He deserved a treat because he got the widescreen right away where bigger dogs had failed..
At the end, though, there is a how-to and he suggests formatting the USB stick first with FAT32. I wish he would have no trouble there.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Leachim

Re: nice

#5 Post by Leachim »

raffy wrote:
He deserved a treat because he got the widescreen right away where bigger dogs had failed..
Puppy also runs quite nice on really wide screens - but it needs the proprietary ATI or NVidia-drivers, which can be easily downloaded and installed with the 3D-Setup-Wizard included in Puppy 2.15CE.

But once installed Puppy automatically chose the correct resolution of 2560x1600 on my 30"-display! :-)

I'm now running Puppy for about 4 month as my main computing platform directly from a 16 GB (FAT32-formatted) USB-stick. The absolutely nice thing is that I can change host computers without any problems!!! :-)

I can prepare work at home and show it to others on any modern computer (= can boot from an USB-stick). No more problems with missing software, wrong versions or something like that!

Puppy is absolutely great! :D

(Last night I gave the new Puppy 2.17 a try. Really nice (strong encryption, lock screen button), but I missed the ATI and NVidia proprietary drivers - or at least some easy way to install them.)

WhoDo

Re: nice

#6 Post by WhoDo »

Leachim wrote:(Last night I gave the new Puppy 2.17 a try. Really nice (strong encryption, lock screen button), but I missed the ATI and NVidia proprietary drivers - or at least some easy way to install them.)
EZpup-2.1.7R2 is available as a dotpet and when added to Puppy 2.17 you will also get 3DCC so you can quickly access your drivers.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

The proprietary 3D graphics drivers, nVIDIA and ATi, will not be compatible with Puppy 2.17 because of 2.17's upgraded kernel.
nVIDIA and ATi users will need to wait until we get around to compiling compatible drivers and adding these to the 3DCC, or just go ahead and compile their own.

Leachim

#8 Post by Leachim »

tempestuous wrote:The proprietary 3D graphics drivers, nVIDIA and ATi, will not be compatible with Puppy 2.17 because of 2.17's upgraded kernel.
nVIDIA and ATi users will need to wait until we get around to compiling compatible drivers and adding these to the 3DCC, or just go ahead and compile their own.
I definitely do use the new kernel (2.6.21.5) with the current version of the ATI-proprietary-driver (8.38.6) and it works fine! :-)

I'm still using a system based on 2.15CE - but I have replaced so many tools, scripts and even the kernel - so it's some sort of a "hybrid" system.

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

That's good to hear, but for the sake of not misleading other ATi owners, it sounds like you compiled your own ATi driver.

MU's 3DCC installer does not currently include an ATi module compiled for the 2.6.22.5 kernel (unless he did it in the last day or two).

It's vaguely possible that an ATi module for the previous 2.6.18.1 kernel MIGHT load successfully against the new kernel, but I can say that an older nVIDIA module definitely won't work with a newer kernel.
Modules are generally kernel-specific, but the (proprietary) nVIDIA modules are HIGHLY kernel-specific.

MU

#10 Post by MU »

I currently still use Puppy 2.12, because I have set it up so that it does everything I need.
So I do not test drivers for newer kernels.

If someone can compile those, I could repackage 3DCC and Nvidia-installer for Puppy 2.17.
Please use the same ATI drivers as in 3DCC, as those support the old widespread chips 7000 to 9500. Newer drivers don't.

This page describes a trick to get it compiled with new kernels:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13114

I might have a a new appartment in September, so I could use my desktop-computer again.
Then I would start to compile drivers again, but thats more than a month to wait.
Mark