How to slow fan on Packard Bell laptop - Lucid...[solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
Al1000

How to slow fan on Packard Bell laptop - Lucid...[solved]

#1 Post by Al1000 »

Using XP on this Packard Bell EasyNote E6307 laptop, the fan runs at varying speeds, and even stops completely sometimes if the computer isn't doing much.

However with Lucid, although the fan starts off slowly if the laptop is cold, it doesn't take long to build up to full speed and doesn't slow down until I switch the laptop off, or boot back into XP.

While I appreciate that it's keeping the hardware as cool as possible, it doesn't seem necessary since the fan runs much slower with XP, and this will surely shorten the life of the fan as well. Most of all though, the noise is annoying, which is the main reason I'm trying to find a way of slowing it down.

I found this on the internet which looks like the sort of thing I need:

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/system/thinkfan/

...but as it's ''slackware'' I take it that wouldn't work with Lucid. Does anyone know of anything similar that would?

I searched the filesystem for files with ''fan'' in the name, and attach a screenshot of the search results, but none of the files seem to be configurable as far as I can tell.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
image-4.png
(64.5 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Last edited by Al1000 on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

It appears to be solely for Think pads.

Barring a BIOS adjustment, search "easynote fan control linux" and you'll find it's the lm-sensors pkg you want.

You might also try one of the 528's with a different kernel.

Barkin

#3 Post by Barkin »

The fan comes on if the CPU is too hot.

If you employ "CPU frequency scaling" , which slows the CPU frequency when on undemanding tasks, the CPU wont get so hot and the fan will be required less. Without "CPU frequency scaling" the CPU is running at maximum speed even when doing very little, the faster the frequency the hotter it gets, ( like the rpm of an engine ).
Attachments
cpu scaling on Lucid Puppy.png
(39.28 KiB) Downloaded 392 times

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Yep, always forget about this one.

Al1000

#5 Post by Al1000 »

Thanks for the responses. I've been paying more attention to the fan speed and CPU temperature over the past few days, and it was inaccurate for me to say the fan runs at ''full speed,'' as there does seem to be some slight variation in speed depending on CPU temperature.

I am now using the standard version of Lucid 5.2.8.6, and briefly tried lupusuper 2-5.8.6 but didn't notice much difference. The only difference I did notice is that there is a list of drivers in the CPU Scaling facility in the standard but not in the Super version. Neither versions have lm-sensors in Package Manager, although Precise 5.7.1 does, so I installed that but am not sure what to do next.

I found this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21928

.. and as far as I am aware, I completed the first step by installing lm-sensors from Package Manager (I assume Package Manager is the same as 'Petget'). But when I open a terminal and type ''makedev'' it says ''command not found.'' Skipping to the next step, typing ''sensors-detect'' and answering yes to all the questions, it doesn't detect any sensors except the one that is already installed.

Typing ''sensors'' it says:

#sensors
k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp: +64.0 C

Lucid also provides this information, and the temperature is also available in the menu under sensors in Hardinfo hardware information. I have seen the temperature vary between 59 - 67 C once the computer has warmed up, and guess that maybe I don't want to turn the fan down with the CPU running at these temperatures, assuming they are accurate.

CPU Frequency Scaling sounds ideal, but unfortunately the facility in Puppy doesn't work I tried it in 5.2.8.6, 2-5.2.8.6, and in 5.7.1. It says it probably won't work because the BIOS is pre-2007 (it's 2004), and it won't select any of the drivers in the list.

But using XP, there is a big difference in the range of speeds the fan tends to operate in, between using the computer after booting up, and using it after it's been in standby mode; with the speeds being noticeably slower during the latter, which is when it often stops completely. So I guess that the computer must already be using CPU frequency scaling or something similar when it runs XP and has come out of standby mode, and would hope that there is some way to do the same in Puppy.

The CPU is a 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3000+, which as far as I know, does (or should (or can)) support frequency scaling.

Al1000

#6 Post by Al1000 »

After installing a small program called SpeedFan to XP which displays CPU temperature, and testing the computer's performance at www.speed-battle.com, I am absolutely certain that for whatever reason, this laptop runs in some sort of ''power saving mode'' (which might involve CPU scaling?) after coming out of standby, which results in decreased performance (that I don't notice), a cooler CPU, and the fan running slower or not at all.

Running the computer without putting it in standby, CPU temperature hovers at around 60C if the computer isn't doing much, and the fan stays on.

Whereas putting it in standby and bringing it back out, the CPU starts to cool down and the fan switches off when CPU temperature reaches 43C, and stays off until it climbs back up to 53C, at which point it comes back on until it cools to 43C again, and so on...

As this all seems to be built into the hardware, I thought I would try the same with Puppy. So I installed acpitool, and typing ''acpitool -s'' into a terminal, puts the computer into standby/suspend without any problems, and bringing it back out by pressing the start button results in the fan running noticeably slower, as I had hoped. The only problem is that the screen stays black, forcing me to shut down the computer with reset, which results in a file-check when Puppy boots back up again!

Does anyone know how I might get the screen to turn back on again after bringing the computer out of standby/suspend?

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Install "vbetool" and set a hotkey combo. I use "xbindkeys" (control+shift + v) >> "vbetool dpms on" usually works.

Al1000

#8 Post by Al1000 »

That sounds exactly what I need.

I couldn't find it in Package Manager so downloaded vbetool-1.1.tar.gz from repoman and unzipped it to /etc (is that ok or should it be somewhere else?), so the files are now in /etc/vbetool-1.1.

I opened a terminal in that folder and typed ''./install-sh'' but it said ''no input file specified.'' So I searched the internet for how to install this and tried the commands that were suggested in a post on a forum. Typing ''./config'' seemed to go ok and a bunch of text appeared with no obvious error messages, but when I typed ''make'' it said:

''aclocal.m4:16: warning: this file was generated for autoconf 2.61.
You have another version of autoconf. It may work, but is not guaranteed to.
If you have problems, you may need to regenerate the build system entirely.
To do so, use the procedure documented by the package, typically `autoreconf'.
/bin/sh ./config.status --recheck''

...and it didn't work.

What's the best way to install this?

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Make sure all Ubuntu repos are ticked in PPM, then update and hit "enter" for each and every prompt.

Exit PPM, then reopen and search. All three >> vbetool, xbindkeys and xbindkeys-config are THERE!

Al1000

#10 Post by Al1000 »

Many thanks for all your help again. I am finally getting there now. I now have all three packages installed and created a new action in xbindkeys-config, used Get Key to 'capture' the key combo of Control + Shift + v, typed ''vbetool dpms on'' in the Action box, then pressed Save & Apply & Exit.

But I'm still not having any luck getting the screen to turn back on after typing ''acpitool -s'' to put the computer into standby/suspend, then pressing the start button to turn it back on. Pressing Control + Shift + v doesn't do anything, and I tried setting up another key combo using ''xinit'' to try to start the X server, but that didn't work either.

I have also tried creating a symbolic link in ~/Startup to ~usr/bin/xbindkeys, but that didn't make any difference either.

I'm sure I must be missing something, but have no clue as to what it is...

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

No shortcut. Go into Startup, rt-clk and hit "new" >> script >> name as you please, then open and add:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xbindkeys &
If restarting X doesn't cut it, reboot.

Easy way to tell it's running? Install htop.

Open a shell >> type: htop >> enter: / >> start typing >> xbi..

Al1000

#12 Post by Al1000 »

Thanks! xbindkeys now runs automatically no problem. I created hot-key combos for: vbetool dpms on, xinit, xwin, startx, reboot, and also for conky, just so I can easily tell if xbindkeys is running or not.

Unfortunately the only one that works after coming out of standby/suspend is ''reboot,'' but at least that saves me from having to press reset.

I tried all of this on Precise 5.7.1 as well, but got exactly the same results. I also created another hot-key combo for ''xorgwizard,'' which turned the screen white, but I was unable to reboot after that.

I am wondering if the graphics driver isn't turning back on, and if there is a way of telling it to do so. I'll maybe try upgrading the graphics if that's possible, to see if that makes any difference.

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Maybe.. Open a shell >> quickpet >> "drivers" tab & test. See what she suggests. AcpiTool can be fickle..

Al1000

#14 Post by Al1000 »

Found a temporary workaround, and am one step closer to discovering what the problem is.

Plugged in an external monitor and discovered that booting up with Precise (but not with Lucid), both monitors turn on and display the same thing.

Putting the computer into standby/suspend with ''acpitool -s'' and bringing it back out again by pressing the start button, the external monitor starts up again without any problem, while the laptop monitor remains black.

After doing so, typing ''vbetool dpms off'' and then (blindly) typing ''vbetool dpms on,'' only results in the external monitor turning off then back on again.

Restarting X server from the Start Menu restarts the external monitor albeit in a lower resolution, and also turns the laptop monitor white.

So I take it that dpms and X server must be running ok, and the problem relates specifically to the laptop monitor.

I'll fiddle about with it some more when I have time over the weekend, and if anyone knows of anything I could try, please let me know.

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

jakfish

#16 Post by jakfish »

This is a very interesting thread as I worry about unnecessary fan use wearing down the battery.

Would this work on puppy:

http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-lin ... stallation

I use it with an Acer C720/Bodhi setup. While I use on-demand for my scaling governor (which I would suggest to you as well), I find tlp to reduce temps significantly, even beyond on-demand.

ALPM is a leader in reducing temps. If tlp won't install, then try:

echo SATA_ALPM_ENABLE=true | sudo tee /etc/pm/config.d/sata_alpm

I'm not familiar w/ your machine so I don't know if it's alpm-ready. alpm is also what it is: aggressive. So there's an outside chance of the machine not liking it:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerMan ... vingTweaks

If I remember correctly, lucid burned high on my older hardware and I stopped using it. Have you tested, say, 4.31, just to see if it plays nicer w/ temps?

Jake

Al1000

#17 Post by Al1000 »

Many thanks for all this help. It will take me some time to work through, so I'll post results when I've done so.

Other than the monitor I plugged in a couple of days ago when I was working on this issue, the only peripheral is the USB stick with pupsave etc on it.

I haven't tried any of the older versions, but I'll try some out to see if it makes any difference.

I ran the laptop for several hours yesterday with Precise 5.7.1 after bringing it out of standby/suspend, and apart from the monitor issue, I was pretty happy with the results. Whatever the laptop does in XP to slow the CPU and make it run cooler after coming out of standby, it did the same with 5.7.1. It was pretty slow though, but I guess it still ''thinks'' it's running two monitors even though I can only see one, but the fan either ran slowly or not at all, and CPU temperature remained mostly in the 40s.

jakfish

#18 Post by jakfish »

One simple test is to cat your governor before and after suspend to see suspend forces a "powersave" governor.

Jake

Al1000

#19 Post by Al1000 »

After all of that I managed to enable CPU frequency scaling after all. I booted up with 4.3.1 and started going through the scaling drivers, and was surprised to find one that worked, and the fan started to slow down as soon as I clicked ''activate.''

So I booted up with Lucid 5.2.8.6 again and chose the same driver I picked in 4.3.1, which I had obviously omitted to try when I tried CPU scaling before. :oops:

As the only reason I wanted to get standby/suspend to work is to slow down the fan, I may as well forget about that for the moment as I have no reason to continue.

I notice that CPU temperature runs a few degrees higher in 5.2.8.6 than in 4.3.1 using the same frequency scaling settings, although I only tried 4.3.1 briefly because my first attempt to connect to the internet failed, whereas all of the other versions I've tried connected automatically. But I'll have a play around with that and a few other Puppy distros, and see if I can make up my mind as to which one I want to stick with.

jakfish

#20 Post by jakfish »

My suggestion is to use the "on-demand" governor. It does sound as if the device was set to "Performance"

You could try Puppy Wary; I think that's what I went to after I found Lucid burning so hot. But I eventually ended up with 4.32.

But your hardware isn't as old as mine...

Jake