For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
David Andrew

#616 Post by David Andrew »

Another wallpaper:

Full image downloadable from here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=938 ... 2284077529

rcrsn51

#617 Post by rcrsn51 »

I quite like LxPupTahr. Unlike some other recent Puplets, it does not auto-start things like Samba servers or WiFi managers. So you still have control over your own system.

It would be my recommendation for a non-ROX Puppy.

BTW, there have been some significant upgrades to PeasyScale and PeasyPort.

rcrsn51

#618 Post by rcrsn51 »

I wonder how many people try LxPup, cannot get their WiFi to work because of the Broadcom wl conflict, and abandon it. Here is a suggestion.

1. Do NOT include wl.ko in /lib/modules OOTB.

2. Make an installer for wl and put it in an on-board location like /opt/Broadcom.

3. Make a desktop shortcut that installs wl just for the users who want it.

peebee

#619 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:1. Do NOT include wl.ko in /lib/modules OOTB.
Hi rcrsn51 - thanks for your comments - that probably is a good idea - I'll think about the best way to implement it - I'd like a prompt to appear at 1st boot to give people guidance on how to load the wl driver if they have Broadcom wifi.
David Andrew wrote:I've created a wallpaper for this pup. A couple of others will follow soon
Hi David - thanks for your various wallpapers and your openbox themes - wallpapers are very personal taste items so I try to include in the iso a few simple ones that are not too big and are maybe not too exciting but also not too 'marmite' (translation: you either love it or hate it - marmite).

When I get around to it I'll add an LxPup Backgrounds page to http://lx-pup.weebly.com/eye-candy.html and include your backgrounds so that people can download them if they want to.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

johnywhy

#620 Post by johnywhy »

rcrsn51 wrote:I quite like LxPupTahr. Unlike some other recent Puplets, it does not auto-start things like Samba servers or WiFi managers.
But they're easily disabled in the Puppy Startup Manager, right?
rcrsn51 wrote:It would be my recommendation for a non-ROX Puppy
it was mine, until you told me about Vanguard-R2. xfce is clearly the most elegant, user-friendly, powerful wm, IMHO :)
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

David Andrew

#621 Post by David Andrew »

peebee wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:1. Do NOT include wl.ko in /lib/modules OOTB.
Hi rcrsn51 - thanks for your comments - that probably is a good idea - I'll think about the best way to implement it - I'd like a prompt to appear at 1st boot to give people guidance on how to load the wl driver if they have Broadcom wifi.
David Andrew wrote:I've created a wallpaper for this pup. A couple of others will follow soon
Hi David - thanks for your various wallpapers and your openbox themes - wallpapers are very personal taste items so I try to include in the iso a few simple ones that are not too big and are maybe not too exciting but also not too 'marmite' (translation: you either love it or hate it - marmite).

When I get around to it I'll add an LxPup Backgrounds page to http://lx-pup.weebly.com/eye-candy.html and include your backgrounds so that people can download them if they want to.

Cheers
peebee
I'm an artist, but wallpaper creation and design is admittedly not my forte. These are amongst my first attempts, so I agree. These are probably a bit too amateurish and cartoony for the average linux user.

In any case, glad the W8 themes are good enough to be included, (luckily not based on my own design.) :wink:

peebee

Broadcom wifi test pet

#622 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:I wonder how many people try LxPup, cannot get their WiFi to work because of the Broadcom wl conflict, and abandon it. Here is a suggestion.

1. Do NOT include wl.ko in /lib/modules OOTB.

2. Make an installer for wl and put it in an on-board location like /opt/Broadcom.

3. Make a desktop shortcut that installs wl just for the users who want it.
Here is a pet to implement rcrsn51's suggestion.

It is for LxPupTahr pae version only - i.e. with kernel 3.14.20-pae

http://www.filepup.net/files/Tq0Ov1430060498.html

The pet deletes the wl.ko that currently comes in the iso and then tries to detect whether there is a Broadcom device on the system and if one is detected it puts an icon on the desktop which will activate the wl driver.

Recommendation for any testing is to do it on a pristine frugal install so as to not mess up your personal save space.

I would be interested to hear from people with Broadcom wifi as to whether it is detected and whether the desktop icon appears.

Conversely I'd be interested to hear from people without Broadcom wifi as to whether an icon appears when it shouldn't.

The detection test is to look for the word "broadcom" in the dmesg output so false detections may occur if you have broadcom devices that are not wifi.

If anybody knows of a better detection test please let me know.

A reboot is needed after activation, so this change would mean that any devices that need wl will not work from live cd - if anybody thinks this is a problem, let me know.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 26 Apr 2015, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#623 Post by rcrsn51 »

The pinstall.sh script needs to run "depmod -a" after deleting wl.ko. Otherwise, there continues to be a conflict for non-Broadcom machines.

peebee

#624 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:The pinstall.sh script needs to run "depmod -a" after deleting wl.ko. Otherwise, there continues to be a conflict for non-Broadcom machines.
Ok - added, reuploaded, link above updated - of course the pinstall is only there for this test pet - if this approach is built into the iso then wl.ko won't be in /lib/modules... in the first place.

rcrsn51

#625 Post by rcrsn51 »

The detection test is to look for the word "broadcom" in the dmesg output so false detections may occur if you have broadcom devices that are not wifi.
How about:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep "Network controller" | grep Broadcom

peebee

#626 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:
How about:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep "Network controller" | grep Broadcom
usb wifi dongles??

rcrsn51

#627 Post by rcrsn51 »

USB is not a problem. The wl module only applies to internal PCI devices.

Broadcom USB adapters would be using a different driver, probably ndiswrapper.

peebee

LxPup15.05

#628 Post by peebee »

see later posts
Last edited by peebee on Sat 16 May 2015, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#629 Post by peebee »

johnywhy

Re: Experimental - LxPup15.05

#630 Post by johnywhy »

peebee wrote:EXPERIMENTAL LxPup15.05 is available .
Possible to upgrade? Or do you recommend a fresh install?

Thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

peebee

Re: Experimental - LxPup15.05

#631 Post by peebee »

johnywhy wrote:Possible to upgrade? Or do you recommend a fresh install?

Thx!
Haven't tried it but should upgrade ok from 15.03 or 15.04 - maybe backup your personal save area first?

peebee

LxPupVivid-15.05

#632 Post by peebee »

LxPupVivid-15.05 is available to test:

http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-vivid.html

VividPup is at Beta2 status, so this LxPup version is similar.

As it's based on VividPup which has many extra applications compared to a traditional Pup - e.g. LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Gimp to name just a few, this is a BIG iso (c. 520MB).

The Broadcom wl wifi driver in this version has to be "activated" before use as recommended by rcrsn51.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture27041.png
(113.07 KiB) Downloaded 1218 times

Shep

#633 Post by Shep »

I have been using LxPupTahr for a couple of weeks. There are a few observations I can make that might be of interest to anyone considering using it.

A number of times after booting it has, in the lower right corner, 2 identical network icons and 2 identical HDD green cylinders. This seems to have no negative consequences, though it's a bit disconcerting.

The browser it comes with is Pale Moon, and some sites complain that it is not up to date and offer a Firefox update link. I much prefer an up to date Firefox browser so installed it.

The file manager does not allow me to rename a file and include a slash / in the new name. I'm accustomed to using this as an easy way to relocate files to new directories, but am stymied here. The file manager does not have a Delete option, just Move to Trash. A lot of times it says it can't move the file to trash and instead offers the Delete option. Three mouse clicks for every file deletion is a bit wearing!

After one boot there was a window already opened with retrovol, so I clicked to minimize it. A few hours later I was investigating why the system was so sluggish and I discovered that retrovol was responsible for about 40% CPU resources! I killed it and the system returned to its normal responsive behaviour.

Today after boot there was no sound volume control in the lower right of the screen. I wasn't concerned because I found the media player still worked. But I saw that CPU usage was frozen on 100%. Investigating, I found that retrovol was indeed running and using 40% CPU usage and making Mplayer use high CPU usage too. I killed retrovol and the system returned to normal.

These anomalies mean that I would not recommend this version for newbies or non-PC people who just need a platform to run a particular software.

For my purposes it is doing fine. I'd like to thank those involved in its development. But I'm looking forward to trying another puppy.

peebee

#634 Post by peebee »

Shep wrote:I have been using LxPupTahr for a couple of weeks. There are a few observations I can make that might be of interest to anyone considering using it.

A number of times after booting it has, in the lower right corner, 2 identical network icons and 2 identical HDD green cylinders. This seems to have no negative consequences, though it's a bit disconcerting.

The browser it comes with is Pale Moon, and some sites complain that it is not up to date and offer a Firefox update link. I much prefer an up to date Firefox browser so installed it.

The file manager does not allow me to rename a file and include a slash / in the new name. I'm accustomed to using this as an easy way to relocate files to new directories, but am stymied here. The file manager does not have a Delete option, just Move to Trash. A lot of times it says it can't move the file to trash and instead offers the Delete option. Three mouse clicks for every file deletion is a bit wearing!

After one boot there was a window already opened with retrovol, so I clicked to minimize it. A few hours later I was investigating why the system was so sluggish and I discovered that retrovol was responsible for about 40% CPU resources! I killed it and the system returned to its normal responsive behaviour.

Today after boot there was no sound volume control in the lower right of the screen. I wasn't concerned because I found the media player still worked. But I saw that CPU usage was frozen on 100%. Investigating, I found that retrovol was indeed running and using 40% CPU usage and making Mplayer use high CPU usage too. I killed retrovol and the system returned to normal.

These anomalies mean that I would not recommend this version for newbies or non-PC people who just need a platform to run a particular software.

For my purposes it is doing fine. I'd like to thank those involved in its development. But I'm looking forward to trying another puppy.
Hi Shep

What are the specs of the computer you are running?

The system tray icon anomalies you describe may be connected to the speed of your cpu....also have you been logging out to the terminal in any way (like ctrl-alt-delete) rather than through the session manager?

If you want extended delete commands please install the optional right-clicks package.

There are many ways to copy files pretty easily using PCManFM - but Rox is still there as well if you prefer to use that for some operations.

Don't fall at the first hurdle - persevere and investigate the features available and I'm sure you'll find acceptable solutions to your work flows.

Cheers
peebee

Shep

#635 Post by Shep »

peebee wrote: What are the specs of the computer you are running?
P4, 2.2GHZ, 1.5GB
The system tray icon anomalies you describe may be connected to the speed of your cpu....also have you been logging out to the terminal in any way (like ctrl-alt-delete) rather than through the session manager?
No, I click on powerdown. (Though it doesn't power the PC off.)

Thanks for your reply, peebee. You didn't address the retrovol process. Tonight after booting I found retrovol running and using 82% CPU.