How to install Puppy in my eePC?

Booting, installing, newbie
McBryde

How to install Puppy in my eePC?

#1 Post by McBryde »

Hi everyone [anyone...?!]

I have Ubuntu on my eePC 701 and, as the memory is too small for Ubuntu updates, I found out the Puppy might be better to use.

I've spent an hour or so on the internet trying to find out how to do it - but I got completely baffled...... I'm not programming-literate at all. I just want to find out:
• if any version will work on it
• I need it to be able to run an up-to-date version of Adobe Flash
• can I just load it to the HD [via an external disc drive or something]?
• if so, how would I do that so that Puppy would replace Ubuntu.

Thanks for your patience.

John

Ogien

I'd like to know the answer too

#2 Post by Ogien »

Just like the OP I too would like to install Puppy on the HDD of my eee PC.

It's 900 Mhz Celeron with a 160 gig HDD. Not sure how much memory but I know that I can run the latest Slacko Puppy distros from a flash drive. I'd just maybe like to make thing more permanent and more updateable as new version become available.

I should mention that I'm fairly new to Linux. I've played around with Ubuntu and Xbuntu in the past but it was never something I ever used as my daily OS.

Having seen the speed that my eee PC has gained by running Puppy along with the very familiar Windows like look of the GUI I'm thinking I'd like to have it permanently, or maybe even dual boot.

Right now the computer has Windows XP running on it. It's "OK" with XP but it's absolutely amazing with Puppy.

Can anyone guid OP and myself in this matter please?

Or am I completely in the wrong in wanting to have it installed on the HDD.

Even if I am wrong, how do I install it via USB since the eee PC doesn't have any drives aside from the internal HDD.

ally

#3 Post by ally »

hey both

from personal experience the easiest way is to buy a usb cdrom and boot a puppy cd from that

however

you can also boot from a usb stick using something like isobooter or unetbootin - google these

you don't say which eeepc model you have, if it's the 701 then I would suggest puppeee1.0 as it deals with the screen resolution best

my 701 & 901 models only boot using right hand usb's too so be aware

:)

McBryde

Thanks for coming to the rescue, Ally... :)

#4 Post by McBryde »

• "...the easiest way is to buy a usb cdrom and boot a puppy cd from that"
Do you mean download Puppy to a cd and load it onto the eepc via a cd reader [which I have]? In which case, will I assume it will replace the Ubuntu I have running on it now.
Do I hold down a key when I boot up?
The destination would be the HD, I assume [there is talk somewhere about being able to load the OS onto a memory chip or something... My HD is pretty low memory. I got stuck with Ubuntu's updates = no room!]

• Yes, I have a 701. [But I need the Puppy version to be able to take the latest Flash version if possible]

Atle

#5 Post by Atle »

Hi both...

From Ubuntu you should be able to make a bootable USB flash drive or use a digital camera, a mp3 player etc, as long as its boots. I use the memory in my android to boot my "portable Puppy" and it works great.

Stick to Grub4 dos as a bootloader.
Make two partitions for Puppy and then you might discover something fantastic, and than it as long as there is puppy running on one of the partitions, your good to go for playing around testing various ISO's at no cost.

I suggest you try the latets Upup, as that has support for GMA chipsets.

On the other partition I would have tried Slacko 5.5.

The point of having two puppy linux running is that you can play with one and experiment.

I suggest using different puppies, as you will have no issues with the savefiles and confusion there.

Many great puppies out there now... Check out Alpha OS... fast, clean and great.

Might be fine with GMA as well:-)

Atle

#6 Post by Atle »

Adding this info about some new GMA friendly stuff:
Also intel gma graphics support for intel atom based netbooks should be there. Thanks 01micko.
From [ur=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85244l]UPUP Raring thread[/url]

ally

#7 Post by ally »

hello again

the whole os with puppy would be around 150Mb plus a savefile say 512Mb and that's it

they run FAST with puppy too

F1 (from memory) gives you boot options, and yes I meant boot a puppy cdrom using a usb cd reader

yes you can boot from an sd card but with puppy being so small you won't need to, I use an 8Gb sd card for music and video files, obviously you can go much larger if you need to

if you have access to another machine then can create a bootable usb

as Atle said other puppies are available that work well, I just find the puppeee1.0 best suited to the 701 (personal preference), try them out and see

you can update flash no problem, when you have it up and running with the puppy of your choice then shout again for more help

you don't say where you are from, if in the uk happy to burn/create cd/usb

:)

firak

#8 Post by firak »

I suggest Fluppy 13.
I installed Fluppy 13 - 1yar ago. Is full optimized for ee701.
it has also ibernate mode, useful for cooling down .

I did use for long time puppy 4.1 on ee701. whit some drivers added, and also a special oveclock and fan control, offered for this 4.1 distro by puppy team.
In the time of puppy4 there was a full support of this 701 device from puppy team, and special versions of puppy for it.

I install in SD card.
Set the byos to boot priority -sd card
or use the 'esc' tab on booting time to choose the device.

You can try different distros of puppy, whit no commitment, using a multi boot trick http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76624
changing the syslinnux.cfg and menu.txt file of the first puppy inslallation.

Enjoy it!

rokytnji

#9 Post by rokytnji »

• "...the easiest way is to buy a usb cdrom and boot a puppy cd from that"
Do you mean download Puppy to a cd and load it onto the eepc via a cd reader [which I have]? In which case, will I assume it will replace the Ubuntu I have running on it now.
A generic video I recommend watching for installing any puppy linux (they all use the same gneric install process) to internal hard drive. This shows using the files from cd to install the puppy files. If using sd or usb live. During the install process. One will use the directory button instead of the cd button. Hence the recommendation of using a external cd/dvd drive instead to grab the puppy files from cd.

I run and test Macpup for runtt21 on my eeepc's. A 701SD and 900.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq-ki7qLoao

If ram space limitations are a concern, (My 701 has 1gig, My 900 has 2gig).
Just go with the full install button instead of the frugal install button during the install process. Still install grub like normal. Don't make a save file when asked after shutdown is started. Full install does not use a save file.

For a usb/sd card install. Some body else needs to find or post a video showing a generic Puppy install via usb.

McBryde

#10 Post by McBryde »

Thank you very much for your help, you three. I only just found your replies [I didn't get notifications, for some reason].
I'll see how I get on... :)

McBryde

#11 Post by McBryde »

Firac -

Thanks for your advice...

I tried to find and I got a page with this on it:

Parent Directory
devx_slacko_5.5.sfs
devx_slacko_5.5.sfs.md5.txt
puppylogo96.png
release-Slacko-5.5.htm
slacko-5.5-4G.iso
slacko-5.5-4G.iso.md5.txt
slacko-5.5-PAE.iso
slacko-5.5-PAE.iso.md5.txt
slacko96.png

Not sure if I use any or all of these! My main computer's a Mac, and downloading and installing's a fairly straightforwrd business.

do you have a link for Fluppy 13?
I tried to find Puppeee too, but the Puppeee site doesn't seem to work any more - just full of adds it seems. All roads appear to lead to that site, and I'm confused by it!

rjbrewer

#12 Post by rjbrewer »

McBryde wrote:Firac -

Thanks for your advice...

I tried to find and I got a page with this on it:

Parent Directory
devx_slacko_5.5.sfs
devx_slacko_5.5.sfs.md5.txt
puppylogo96.png
release-Slacko-5.5.htm
slacko-5.5-4G.iso
slacko-5.5-4G.iso.md5.txt
slacko-5.5-PAE.iso
slacko-5.5-PAE.iso.md5.txt
slacko96.png

Not sure if I use any or all of these! My main computer's a Mac, and downloading and installing's a fairly straightforwrd business.

do you have a link for Fluppy 13?
I tried to find Puppeee too, but the Puppeee site doesn't seem to work any more - just full of adds it seems. All roads appear to lead to that site, and I'm confused by it!
Just the .iso to download. Doesn't hurt to check md5 also.

A link to Fluppy. Don't know if it works.
Fluppy is for other netbooks; not eee.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Fluppy
Last edited by rjbrewer on Wed 15 May 2013, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

McBryde

#13 Post by McBryde »

I'm getting there....

Which of the 4 .iso ones would it be? And which of the 2 md5 ones?? You see - I really don't get all this!

Cheers
John [Skelmersdale, UK]

rjbrewer

#14 Post by rjbrewer »

McBryde wrote:I'm getting there....

Which of the 4 .iso ones would it be? And which of the 2 md5 ones?? You see - I really don't get all this!

Cheers
John [Skelmersdale, UK]
There's just 2 iso and 2 md5.txt
Pae is for comps that have 4gb or more of ram.
The other is fine for you.
Md5.txt is a short code line for verifying integrity;
I don't bother with it usually.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

8-bit

#15 Post by 8-bit »

I have an Asus 900A eepc and got tired quickly of the OS that it comes with and it's inability to keep that OS updated due to old broken update links.
I went a different route though.
I had a 8gig USB stick that I had previously installed Bluepup version 4 on and figured I would give it a try.
After setting the eepc bios up to dual boot, I booted Bluepup.
The browser is chrome. But with it, I got a tile main screen with most everything my daughter would use.
And it supported the hardware also out of the box.
Behind that tile selection screen is a standard puppy desktop and applications.
I have thought of upgrading the 4gig solid state drive size and installing Bluepup as the base OS.
Also, I now seldom have errors of scripts on internet sites that are not working like I did with the OEM OS.
And the tile selection screen to me gives the eepc an updated look and ease of use.

8Geee

#16 Post by 8Geee »

Updating the SSD on a 701 either can't be done because its soldered in place, or very hard to do because there are few if any PATA SSD drives around (SATA = No Good). My best idea is to put one distro on the SSD, and use a good USB Flash stick for the other. BIOS allows boot from USB, and most versions of puppy like it that way.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."