Best Puppy for my laptop?

Using applications, configuring, problems
stevesr0

Best Puppy for my laptop?

#1 Post by stevesr0 »

I have puppy 4.2.1 installed on a laptop, and I am interested in adding a newer one if it will offer some advantages.

The laptop has a dual core processor (Intel T7250 @ 2 GHz), 2 gigs of RAM and a 500 gig HD.

I am looking for something that is reasonably minimalistic in the interest of ease of use and speed, but also want to be able to put full sized apps like libreoffice (I have problems with abiword, but that belongs on another thread).

I know that this forum is full of discussions about different puppies and puplets, and i have tried several, but I would love input from others.

Thanks.

Steve

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It depends somewhat on how you use your laptop, what you use it for.

bones01

#3 Post by bones01 »

Hi Steve,

Flash is right, but I'll give you some of my experience. I'm using Lucid 528 at the moment and most everything works really well. It happily runs OpenOffice, Firefox, SongBird, Gimp, Skype, as well as some Bible programs that use Wine. So I'm really happy with it. I can also play around, as with other puppy versions, to make it look and feel just right.

I also use MacPup 525, although there is 528 as well. This gives a vastly different look and feel, but runs everything just the same. I don't use Gimp with MacPup because of the way the mouse works, but it's a great setup nonetheless.

I used BiblePup for a while, and the setup on that was interesting, but had more things than I needed.

I generally try to keep up with the newer puppies, but have stuck with 528 as I know it works and I can connect with Buntu downloads - even though I haven't had a great need for that yet.

For some other guides, look up SneekyLinux or icyos on Youtube. There is a wealth of information from these two giants.

Happy searching.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Just use the latest mainstream Puppy release - Slacko 5.3.1
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER