How to edit the keyboard layout?

Booting, installing, newbie
adXok

How to edit the keyboard layout?

#1 Post by adXok »

Hi, guys
after some weeks of intensive research on the Internet over the subject of Editing Keyboard Layouts in Linux (new "*buntu" Puppy as well) I ended up with the conclusion that either I am stupid or Linux is total pain in the aßs for non-programmers like me.

You see the problem is this:
  • the existing keyboard layouts in Puppy (and all other distros) do not work for my needs
    I want to either edit an existing one or what would be perfect: to create my own keyboard layout (with unicode symbols and so on)
    I want to properly install these Keyboard layouts
    I want the new created layout to appear in the Keyboard Layout list setting dialog
In version 4.3.1 of Puppy everything went just right (considering the editing existing KL process), though I still do not know how to create totaly new KL and the same to be installed and listed properly.
That has something to to with the new "Ubuntu"-engine if I may say it like that and the newly Puppies based on it!

I read that I had to edit so many files in order to make a new KL visible for the system and listed, switchable... in other words to exist for the OS.

How can I do it?

Thanks in advance! :)

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

what are you wishing to change about the keyboard layout?

there is some help here, but not sure if its what you need-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/KeyboardLayouts

:twisted:

adXok

#3 Post by adXok »

darkcity, thank you for your reply.

Just toi make it more clear: I want to create my own keyboard layout. I did it with success in Puppy 4.3.1 and older but now I cannot. Now I try to modify the files in xkbd... save them, but later they load as nothing have ever happened to them? Seems like linux reads them from another place where they are by default kept untouched.

So is it that hard to even name and load totally new keyboard layout? If it is so hard, why should be like that?