[SOLVED] Video problem - Xorg high

Using applications, configuring, problems
Luluc

[SOLVED] Video problem - Xorg high

#1 Post by Luluc »

I vaguely remember trying to run some programs, probably games, that would not run on Puppy. I got some error message about GLX or something, I don't remember. I didn't have much time to waste, so I dismissed it.

Later on, I installed a game called Pipewalker, which would not run. Error message in console:
Error in PipeWalker 0.7.2: Unable to set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Exit 1
Then I thought, what the heck. I used to run Neverball on Ubuntu, I know that my machine is capable. So I searched around a little and ended up installing Xorg high, from the Lucid repository.

It worked. Pipewalker ran just fine.

Days later, for some reason I can't remember, I or Puppy itself exited the window manager to pure console. I couldn't remember how to get X running again, so in a haste, I read the instructions very quickly and ran xorgwizard. I was given two options only, regarding resolutions. I chose one and hit Enter. As a result, now I see this message in the boot sequence on every boot:
Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack: version 0.5.3
Chipset: 945GME
BIOS: TYPE 1
Mode Table Offset: $C0000 + $269
Mode Table Entries: 36
Patch mode 38 to resolution 1024x600 complete
I don't know if that is relevant, I just know that Pipewalker won't run anymore. I tried removing and reinstalling Xorg high, to no avail. And I still get that message in my boot sequence. So, how do I fix this?
Last edited by Luluc on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Go to the xorgwizard again, and choose "intel" without any number..
To see if xorghigh is installed, it a terminal type
glxgears
which installs with xorghigh...
When you choose "intel" you should see a message saying i810 has been removed etc....
I also have the 945gme chip on my CQ-56 and xorghigh and GLX work fine for me... Also I have several Puplets built around that chipset, which have GLX/Mesa built in OOTB, including Lupen, which is Compiz based...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Luluc

#3 Post by Luluc »

OK, it worked. Thank you!