Puppy Stardust 003

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
trio

#16 Post by trio »

and you should just remove gtrayicon for the next release...it's confusing for new users

prehistoric

tested good on three machines

#17 Post by prehistoric »

I've run Stardust 003 on three machines without problems. This is looking good.

I've already told Jemimah that the tray icon for Pwireless2 is too much like blinky. My suggestion is a radio icon like the one on the configure menu.

I'm of two minds about running firewall configuration automatically. First, this is the way I use it, just take the default settings, and set up a firewall from the beginning.

Second, when I get a device like a router or printer server which can't tolerate a firewall, because it needs an interactive web interface for configuration, I have been booting with "pfix=ram" just to configure that device. Automatically setting up a firewall would make such operations harder.

It might also defeat attempts to test an interface without a firewall when setting up an initial connection. (This is one of my standard fall-backs when I'm having trouble.) I don't want to make debugging harder in order to give lucky users a trivial advantage. (This is one of my complaints about Windoze.)

My suggestion is to reduce it to the simplest possible manual operation: yes/no, do you want to set up a default firewall now? At least that way everyone will know they are running a firewall. It would also be handy to tell users how they can disable the firewall, if ever needed, in the same dialog.

zigbert

#18 Post by zigbert »

prehistoric wrote:Second, when I get a device like a router or printer server which can't tolerate a firewall, because it needs an interactive web interface for configuration, I have been booting with "pfix=ram" just to configure that device. Automatically setting up a firewall would make such operations harder.
:D :D :D :D
Did you forget the new feature in Stardust?

tasmod

#19 Post by tasmod »

Still can't get virtual desktops to accept input.

Still shows corrupt config message.

I seem to have a problem with clock theme, it will not keep hands as dark, it changes back on apply.

Worldtime widget needs links changing in func file. It will not save settings else.

May I also suggest rox-right clicks for inclusion. I downloaded the pet and its great to have Geany back as right click.
Last edited by tasmod on Sat 02 Jan 2010, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Eyes-Only

#20 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Zigbert,

WOW! :shock: And I really mean an "all eye-popping" WOW here! Once 4.2.* came out I never thought I'd ever see another Puppy that I could fully enjoy straight out of the box.

You've not only proven me wrong - but completely raised the bar here to a new height, a totally new level!

I'm beyond words to describe the beauty you've created here. What an artist! When my youngest daughter was looking for a Linux distro awhile back I got her started with 4.2.1 - I just wished your "Stardust" had been out then.

Keep up the fantastic work here, alright Zigbert? This is simply breath-taking and I applaud you your creativity and design!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

trio

#21 Post by trio »

I made up a patch for grayicon - it shows green signal when active and red signal when inactive
Attachments
gtrayicon.jpg
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
gtrayiconpatch.pet
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 331 times

mawebb88

Download okay now

#22 Post by mawebb88 »

Just downloaded 003 ok today.

Rgds

Mike

zigbert

#23 Post by zigbert »

Rob
I have forgotten the virtual desktop issue. - Sorry.
Now fixed.

Worldtime is fixed. I should have updated Pwidgets.......

I installed rox-right-click a while ago, and found it a bit 'overkilling'. Many icons did the same as default action in rox. So I grabbed a couple of Hairywills rox-apps and included those into Pburn and Pmusic.
It would possibly be great to include some of rox-right-click icons, but the complete package felt (in my opinion) more like clutter in the menus. Which icons did you like the most?

Sigmund

zigbert

#24 Post by zigbert »

Eyes-Only
Thank you

zigbert

#25 Post by zigbert »

trio
I really want to use your icon-patch. The problem is that Stardust 004 will have the latest Pwireless2-2.6 included......and 2.6 has updated /root/Stardust. If you only touched the mini-icons-settings, I'll fix it.......but, if it's more???

Sigmund

trio

#26 Post by trio »

Ziggy,

The patch .pet includes 2 modified mini-icons and modified /root/Startup/networking...and that is all. Few bytes will be added though because of the mini icons. Well, it's up to you, I just want my Puppy Stardust the way I want it to be... :D

zigbert

#27 Post by zigbert »

trio
.....but /root/Startup/networking is not existing in Pwireless2-2.6 :D

I just wanna know what you changed......

Sigmund

trio

#28 Post by trio »

zigbert wrote:trio
.....but /root/Startup/networking is not existing in Pwireless2-2.6 :D

I just wanna know what you changed......

Sigmund
?? did not know that...., hmmm so where the gtrayicon is called in Pwireless2-2.6 ??

EDIT: Got it - it's /root/Startup/Pwireless2 .... try this patch
Attachments
gtrayicon.jpg
also with tooltip
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
gtrayiconpatch2.6.pet
(1.53 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

prehistoric

What, me forget?

#29 Post by prehistoric »

zigbert wrote:...
:D :D :D :D
Did you forget the new feature in Stardust?...
Not exactly. :lol:
I was trying to get at the problem for people who are totally new to this. If you automatically set up a firewall by default, you need to make sure people know it is running, and have some clue as to how to turn it off if they need to. I can't tell you how many times I've fought with computer systems where all the answers are obvious after you have some experience with it, but you never get the experience if you don't use it because of some feature you couldn't find when you needed it at the beginning.

One place where I've watched newbies fail to get Puppy going is the hurdle of initial networking. This is precisely where the mystery of a secret firewall savages them. Changing the settings on a router, modem or account is one of those situations that often shows up during initial setup. If they don't know the firewall is responsible, they report that Puppy's networking failed.

(You can argue that reasonable user interfaces, like the one your connection has, don't require disabling a firewall, but that doesn't eliminate all the unreasonable systems already out there. There is a flat spot on my forehead where I have repeatedly hit myself after discovering the cause of networking problems at a new site.

As I understand it, Norway has long had standard way of delivering reliable ISDN service for computer networking. In the U.S., there are technicians who start twitching if anyone mentions ISDN, which every "baby Bell" seems to have implemented uniquely. There are so many options I have actually seen two technicians call back to their own support desk for consultation with higher level techs before they could get a supposedly standard teleconferencing connection working. This was an initial connection where all equipment was supplied by the telephone company. When it was finally working -- a day later -- they admitted there had never been a fault on the line.

Pity the poor individual subscriber. I ran into one yesterday who had called customer support, told them they had a problem which required rebooting at their end, and got a tirade about how it was probably something stupid the customer was doing with their own equipment, and, if this turned out to be true, they were going to be billed for the unnecessary home visit by a technician. A later call to a different person in support got the connection rebooted, causing the problem to go away, as predicted. A field tech still showed up the next day, even though that call had been canceled.)

Several people I know have commented favorably that standard Puppy networking, crude as it is, "doesn't talk down to them". If it fails to connect, they can tell someone else, e.g., "it was okay right up to the point where I tried to use DHCP to get an IP address." Even people who never heard of DHCP or IP addresses can read the text in the window.

Most people, most of the time, won't need to worry about this. I'm just holding out for clues that will make it reasonably easy for newbies to find that button, and figure out that they need to find it, in those cases where it is necessary.

I hope you can forgive me for overkill in this answer. The obvious frustration spilling out was not your fault. :roll:

zigbert

#30 Post by zigbert »

prehistoric
Thank you for your overkill. As I have mentioned many times, my networking skills are zero, so without some mentors, I would have made the wrong decisions!!!!

Sigmund

prehistoric

not an expert

#31 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

Don't consider me a networking expert. I have more experience watching people fail to get things working. Much of my computer education took place before the Internet existed, as befits my name.

I'm so far out of touch with current technology I've been known to make statements like this one:
No computer network is ever completely debugged.

trio

Starudst 004

#32 Post by trio »

No posts from Ziggy for a while, I suspect Stardust 004 is coming very soon :lol:

tasmod

#33 Post by tasmod »

Hi Ziggy,

I'm not sure what you meant by icons. I haven't looked deep into it.

The reason I used right clicks is, it added the various options to the right click menu on dirs and files.
I wanted Geany in list and it is for right click on scripts in rox windows.

I normally use Geany to examine files but Mick has told me to beware of using on system files as it may cause corruption.
Rob
-

tasmod

#34 Post by tasmod »

Just came across an anomoly or small bug when I checked a pdf.

PDF Viewer uses same font name as Micks weather font for pwidgets, result is all small print consists of weather symbols. :D

I can't seem to find an option to change font in pdf viewer although it's probably embedded in document anyway.
Rob
-

zigbert

#35 Post by zigbert »

Well, 004 is some days in the future. It has fallen plenty of beautiful powder-snow, and I have bought new randonnee ski. :D

Don't worry.......I AM working (a bit) on Stardust. The goal for 004 is to have 'full' control over services and tray management.

Sigmund