Stopping puppy from writing to pupsave.2fs all the time?

Booting, installing, newbie
slick69

Stopping puppy from writing to pupsave.2fs all the time?

#1 Post by slick69 »

I'm using Puppy 4.3.1 off of a fairly slow USB flash drive (nothing faster available and hard drive is a no go).

I've dedicated a 512MB pupsave.2fs file to it, but the issue is that it keeps saving to that file every few minutes. I would rather Puppy ran completely off of RAM (I have 3GB) and only wrote to the flash drive at the end of the session, when I power down. I have a laptop with battery so I'm not worried about a power cut.

Is there a solution for this?

glassparrot

#2 Post by glassparrot »

I have seen that option somewhere. It seems to me that it was a command line option on one of the older puppy versions. Does anyone else remember seeing something about this?

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

buried in the desktop icon options ...I think setting time to 0 disables it...

mike

otropogo

#4 Post by otropogo »

mikeb wrote:buried in the desktop icon options ...I think setting time to 0 disables it...

mike
What's the "desktop icon" mike?

I just looked in the Menu/Desktop listings, but couldn't find anything that seemed a propos.

I did notice a"Ptray utility" bar, and clicked on it hoping to bring back the one that appeared in Puppy 4.2.1 when the cursor was moved to the top of the screen. But nothing happened..
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

abushcrafter

#5 Post by abushcrafter »

GO to your desktop its called "save"

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

otropogo wrote:
mikeb wrote:buried in the desktop icon options ...I think setting time to 0 disables it...

mike
What's the "desktop icon" mike?

I just looked in the Menu/Desktop listings, but couldn't find anything that seemed a propos.

I did notice a"Ptray utility" bar, and clicked on it hoping to bring back the one that appeared in Puppy 4.2.1 when the cursor was moved to the top of the screen. But nothing happened..
Menu>system>puppy event manager>save sessions.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

abushcrafter

#7 Post by abushcrafter »

arr :o

otropogo

#8 Post by otropogo »

rjbrewer wrote:
Thanks.

So what is the purpose of the tab at Menu/Desktop/Ptray-utility bar ?

rjbrewer

#9 Post by rjbrewer »

otropogo wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:
Thanks.

So what is the purpose of the tab at Menu/Desktop/Ptray-utility bar ?
Ptray utility bar doesn't exist in the menus of 4.1.2 or 4.3.1 that I use.

Not really the subject of this thread.

I think "Ptray" originated in the "Macpup" puplets series; a pet
from there may help your search.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

otropogo

#10 Post by otropogo »

rjbrewer wrote:...
Ptray utility bar doesn't exist in the menus of 4.1.2 or 4.3.1 that I use.
I realized that only after making my previous post. It does exist in Puppy 4.2.1, which is the version from which I upgraded to 4.3.1. It seems that some sort of corruption occured during the upgrade, and vestiges of v. 4.2.1 remain.

However, to get back on topic - what exactly happens when you set the save interval to "0"?

Does it still do an automatic save on reboot or power down, or does Puppy shut down without saving:?

If not, is there any way to stop Puppy from modifying the 2fs file it's using until you ask it to?

`f00

#11 Post by `f00 »

hmm, as usual..

Default save2flash is 30 min intervals as preset - more depth by following link.. here and finding what works for you - the basic is setting eventmanager, sessiontab save interval to '0' so it doesn't periodically do the <insert techie stuff here about save2flash and snapmerging yaddayadda.. I'm so glad it's been sussed previously by vast cool intellects channeling Orson..>

ahh, here's a fairly simple text (not code, just to distinguish from inane blither).

Code: Select all

___oemline-as-follows___

#the above are in unionfs at /.
  echo "Saving session to $SAVEFILE (${SAVEPART})..." >/dev/console
  /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw
  ;;

___this works for a save/nosave option on shutdown for flash media (thumbdrive,etc)___
___(mod per pizzagood's instruction)___
___/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown	~lines732-740 (Macpup-Op, lines671..)___

13) #PDEV1 and PUPSFS and PUPSAVE
  #/initrd/pup_rw has tmpfs, pup_ro1 has ${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}save.2fs file (PUPSAVE), pup_ro2 has PUPSFS file.
  #the above are in unionfs at /. # modified per pizzagood's shutdown save/nosave option for flash...
  dialog --yesno "save2flash? (thumbdrive)" 0 0 >/dev/console
  if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
  echo "Saving session to $SAVEFILE (${SAVEPART})..." >/dev/console
  /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw
  fi
  ;;
.. it's nice to have the option to not save from time to time, just like liveCD (multisession) allows as standard ;)

otropogo

#12 Post by otropogo »

`f00 wrote:...
ahh, here's a fairly simple text ...
.. it's nice to have the option to not save from time to time, just like liveCD (multisession) allows as standard ;)
I guess I need something even more simple.

Have followed your link, and read the postings, though possibly not carefully enough, and certainly without adequate comprehension. I came away uncertain which was the correct code there, and whether in fact, it was working for everyone.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me, based on recent experience, is the 30 minute save interval.

Last night, I changed my mouse settings, lost all mouse use, and couldn't find a way to substitute keystrokes. I had checked the save interval setting and it was at "30", hoping to avoid writing the change to my save file, I reset the computer.

And although only a few minutes had passed since I changed the mouse setting, certainly not 30, the changes were saved to disk, and when I rebooted, I was still mouseless.

So, was I just unlucky in that the save interval was reached and the changes written to 2fs after I made the mouse change and before I hit the reset button, and would this not have happened, if the save interval had been set to "0"?

If that's the case, why would one need to change any code? Presumably, one would just need to set the save interval to "0" to stop periodic saves, and then hit reset to exit without saving.

Or, if the "0" interval also prevents automatic saves at shutdown, simply shut down normally to avoid saving, or change the interval to some positive number before shutting down to save to 2fs.

jemimah

#13 Post by jemimah »