Can Windows 2K use hd like Linux?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
xxsolusxx

Can Windows 2K use hd like Linux?

#1 Post by xxsolusxx »

can you make windows 2k handle file installation/moves like linux (look for the best place and not just go straight through the HD and drop pieces where it can)??

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

Just for the record, I'm biting down real hard on my tongue right now ...
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

No, xxsolusxx, that's the best Windows can do.

Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

I know what you're referring to XXsol because we've read the same article together about defragmentation and Linux. Hmm... it actually may have been better continuing the line of thought and questioning there but I do seem to recall that the entire idea of how Linux handled filing files as opposed to Windows doing it... well... "blew your mind" like it did mine---and everyone else's who comes over from that OS! :)

I guess perhaps I was a little luckier though because I was exposed to BeOS several years ago so that sort of "cushioned the blow" for me when moving part and parcel over to Linux. (See, I came over and burnt all bridges behind me. Wiped the drive and here I am! LOL!)

Anyway, I've taken a lot of words here to say basically, in answer to your question in a nutshell, "No... there's no way that I know of that they could do it as that's the nature of their OS, from the way it's built/programmed, from the filesystem (VFAT, less so with NTFS) on up."

The differences between Windows and Linux are truly "apples and oranges". Hmm... As a matter of fact, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, and some others, would be "apples" and Linux would be "oranges" because at least we're both "fruit" (had familiar parentage being quasi-based off "Unix") while others like Windows, OS/2, DOS, FreeDOS, etc., would be "potatoes" (vegetables = non-fruit). That's how out of each other's league we are.

I hope this in some way helped XXsol?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*