howto build a grand unified puppy

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
amish

howto build a grand unified puppy

#1 Post by amish »

lots of efforts have gone into making the ultimate puppy lately. a lot of things have changed- methods have changed, software has changed, kernels have changed, wizards, window managers, rox, support groups, irc channels, critcism, speed, size, and hardware support.

how is it possible to offer something to "everyone" at this point, and does such an idea even matter?

a number of people have complained about splintering lately, even a lack of unity. could a puplet help bring people together? obviously, a distro never brings EVERYONE together. splintering happens... diversity is even a good thing. but there is a point of balance. too much coalescence kills- the windows monopoly is such a victim, moreso its users. likewise, and on the opposite hand, too much splintering kills.

puppy continues to strive for quality, but the splintering continues. is puppy really meeting everyone's needs? can it be made to meet more needs without losing what originally made it exceptional?

it's my feeling that a puppy can be built to bring more people together, to fit not just a larger group but larger variety of needs, without abandoning its original strengths and specialties. but first we would have to examine those:

* puppy is small, and fast.
it needs very little ram for everything it does.
it works great on older machines!

these are things we could lose as fast as windows has lost them.

* puppy is easy to use... it's not designed foremost for source hackers.

source hackers are great. we have some. they are of great help.
if you want to hack source, puppy will let you.
it's easier to get gcc working in puppy than it is in ubuntu... unless you don't mind its package management.
puppy has/had one of the most straightforward package management systems ever.

through a lot of tinkering, we've managed to add features to it, but it's been a while since it was as reliable.
people frequently have to download .pup and .pet files the old fashioned way to get them to download
and install properly. soon i suppose we will be back on track.

puppy has wizards that continue to improve in quality and ease of use. should this go without saying?
absolutely not. this is part of what makes puppy puppy.

* puppy is flexible. it's tiny, but you can bloat it up with ooo and kde. sfs is a wonderful way to fit loads of stuff into tinier iso's and packages. it isn't aimed JUST at n00bs or JUST at peopel that want full control (root, FFS!) but it can cater to both in a way that might be unprecidented.

can it go further than that? yes, i think so. for one thing, we can stop making puppy bigger. we can stop breaking things without fixing them. we can get a LITTLE more organized that we used to be and have it make a LOT of difference. we can stop puppy from becoming 90mb, 100mb, 200mb, 600mb. dvd like EVERYONE ELSE does. the new graphpup alpha is 100mb :( this is terrible considering that grafpup mastered sfs, that it found a line to draw in the sand: 400mb and tried to stay under it, BUT ALSO with a core that was under 100mb.

Three Digits is Too Many!

to be fair, 100mb alpha doesn't mean 100mb beta. grafpup 2 (otherwise, a shining project worth watching closely,) might not break the 2-digit barrier. you can have a useful puppy-like 80mb core os, and then optional SFS for things like ooo and kde. in fact. as anti-bloat as i am, i think the kde sfs is hope for puppy. puppy can go on and off the tiny track... big fat puppy, little puppy, big fat puppy, little puppy. sfs is a real-live-working body-builder suit for a chihuahua. and the 80mb grafpup 104 is much like puppy 1.07... with better wizards and easier (more established) methods to get into kde and ooo. just add abiword (it has ted) and mp. maybe nvu (not to the core!)

**** where to begin?

first, you have two kernels. you have the 2.4 series and the 2.6 series. the 2.4 series is timetested, fast, less likely to crash, has a gaping security hole in it that is patched in 2.6, and works more reliably with pcmcia cards in laptops and with cdrecord than 2.6 does.

wow! lots of differences. add to this that the 2.6 series belongs to "puppy 2," and that it is based on the neat t2 project, and that puppy 2 has a lot of things that puppy 1 didn't. does it all rely on the kernel? NO. a lot of it relies on development.

one thing that would be very cool to see (so far no one has made a case for it) is a puppy that you can MORE OR LESS swap out between one kernel and the other. SO MUCH of puppy works from puppy 1 to puppy 2... not all of it! but so much.

this could be a GOAL of puppy, and the advantage is that people aren't arguing about puppy 1 and puppy 2. is it worth the trouble? that depends on how far you take it vs. how much trouble it is to take it that far. i think MOST of puppy could be interchangable, if it was slightly more organized without becoming too complicated.

**** lgpl coming soon?

another exciting development in puppy is becoming more officially gpl. i used to make a stink about this, proportional to my concern. i have NEVER once accused puppy of VIOLATING the gpl. i know better... there was a guy that used to say that about puppy, but barry has always gone to the trouble of making sure puppy doesn't violate anything.

still, it's hard to make a gpl puppy. there are scripts that are copyrighted. THIS HAS BEEN FURTHER CLARIFIED. in fact, there is an faq that says in essence, the only thing that is still protected (i.e. the only part of puppy you still need barry's blessing to make use of) is the Trademark- "puppy" this may seem quite odd to many of us merkins. in the u.s. a trademark's hold changes when you change half of it. puppylinux and puppytelco are not an issue in the usa. in au or the uk, however, it may not fly. it makes some sense to honor international and aussie restrictions, as puppy is an international and aussie product. but this leaves you with an entire os to play with in the spirit of foss.

BUT A LOT of people are still going to want it to be officially released as gpl or lgpl, which barry has talked about doing in the near future. note that what really makes puppy puppy are the scripts that puppy uses to do things like package management and boot, and loop around and (this is really unique, find another live cd distro that does this) let you remove the live cd after booting. (i've seen a floppy distro that does, but not a live cd.)

*****barry is likely to release those scripts as lgpl in puppy 2.14 or later.***** what's the advantage of this? well, it's less confusing than trying to find the faq (keep in mind how many puppy websites and starting points there are... i looked for months for this information) for license info. most people look in the distro itself, where older, more confusing information is listed.

the point? when those scripts become lgpl, it will be a huge advantage for puppy. it will be a reason to use the latest version, or at least the startup scripts from it, so that real L/GPL derivatives can be created. this is a point for puppy 2. it's also a point for making puppy 1 and puppy 2 more interchangable. gpl means something can be built to last, and this is an important feature to keep in mind for all puppy derivatives. watch for the lgpl scripts, and grab them and use them.

**** other gpl efforts

of course, few people in the puppy community are concerned about this. it's a larger concern outside the puppy community, in the much larger linux community. if you want a bigger audience, which many people seem to strive for, gpl can help. ubuntu has perhaps taken it farther than is sane, trying to cut out anything that is patented. patents don't have an equal hold in all countries, and some countries are going so far as to try to ignore or nullify software patents outright.

considering that honoring *all* software patents means that you can't make a window with TABS in it, i'd say it can only be taken so seriously. gpl is another matter, relevent not to trademarks, not to patents (just yet) but ALMOST exclusively to copyright. it is a driving force behind linux development, and what keeps linux libre while allowing businesses to embrace it.

for those that have a desire to demonstrate gpl further, it's been suggested for another distro that any of puppy's non-gpl tools (puppy has a few, not a problem nor a violation there!) be put in a "nongpl.sfs" this can be included in the os core, the main iso, this is not a problem. it's a way of making it EASY to switch puppy between all gpl and mostly gpl. worth a thought: nongpl.sfs.

**** reliable releases, sane schedules

puppy started as a hobby and an obsession, and it should remain a hobby and an obsession. on the other hand, it's much more difficult to manage a group of people creating puppy linux, and that's exactly the task that creating puppy has become. and the idea of one wreckless genius pulling all the strings has ceased to be puppy's model. barry has talked about moving past puppy, leaving it in the hands of others. this is the fate of all free open source software projects, that or oblivion. barry is wise to look for people to leave in charge of the official, original project.

is it possible to have the level coordination now, that once was possible in the days when puppy was a 1 or two man project? the simple answer is no, that will never be possible again, except when "puppy" is a "puplet," a relatively small side project. even then, few men on earth have barry's knack for tapping out an entire new version in weeks, testing it in a few hours, and having something useful come out of the blitz.

that's okay!

"lesser" developers (or at least, calmer ones) are forced to do old-fashioned things that aren't as much fun... like label things carefully. "every version is really a beta" doesn't work if you are carrying something forward that will truly be friendly to n00bs and not have people scrambling to patch and fix things (such as usb support in 2.13 that worked better in 2.12 for some people) with things like modprobe on flash sticks.

better testing means better bugreporting means better bugfixing means a better distro.

so how far do we go? well... it takes longer, but i'm going to say more than a week for alpha, more than a week for beta, and more than a week between beta and release.

also: "alpha" means that you're still planning things, but that you have a plan (not having a plan yet is pre alpha... okay, even this is relatively casual... lump that in with alpha)

"beta" means that you're trying VERY MUCH to not add new features, make big changes, just bug fixes and (where applicable) choosing which release.

"release" means... NOT BETA.

it's really very simple, it's a matter of taking the process seriously and having it as a real goal. it doesn't mean you have to run around with a clipboard or a pen behind the ear, or hire a cpa or even setup a CVS repository. puppy can keep its spirit and can be labeled better... and run at a pace that lets the users catch up.

another advantage is that the "release" would only come out ever 2 to 3 months or so. or who knows? 2 to 4 releases a year! imagine how well puppy could be Documented if it slowed down just a bit?

**** watch the fringes

what are critics saying? not people that never did like puppy, (although they're worth a glance and a half at least!) but what about people that used to love and swear by it? are they suddenly unhappy? can anything be done?

despite the spectre of pleasing everyone that complains, such complaints are priceless clues for development. some you can argue, some you can't, some you must, and some you shouldn't. when puppy starts to splinter in many directions at once, you cannot ignore the possibility that puppy is losing some, evne too much of what made it great. try to keep as much of it there... if you can advance it without losing how fast and small it is, great! and if you want to make your own bloated puppy... well, you're free to! but listen to the people on the fringes now and then. they may have the idea you will actually need later... if they don't say everything in the most tactful way, it doesn't mean they're wrong. you may find yourself agreeing later. generally both sides of an argument are both right and wrong... finding a middle ground that isn't too weak itself and aiming for the "best of both worlds" is what innovation is really all about. be afraid to lose your legacy, but don't be afraid to gain insight. or hold onto your legacy, make careful notes of what makes puppy great, and stick to that and fear nothing.

**** never have more than one or two calculators

it's just too time consuming and even confusing to people. it shouldn't be, but if people want to try five calculators they can download five calculators. or put them in a randomcrap.sfs

this goes for scripts that are vital, too. a restore script is important. never have more than two of them, or people will wonder which one is the good one, and it will be the source of lots of frustration. most people would rather use the right thing the first time.

with dialup this is another matter. ideally, it wouldn't be. it's just too hard to connect to an isp in linux, but it's pretty easy to add 2+2. pick a calculator, maybe throw in that unit converter, and leave it at that.

**** do something for those guys making barebones pups

one of the things that gave me great hope about puppy was pizza's script to remove things from puppy. having just tried ubuntu, i was extremely frustrated with how much CRAP i was saddled with that i didn't want. synaptic didn't let me add anything, everything refused to install without 5 other things, and i had to hunt them down and download them. WHEE, what a POS. couldn't STAND it.

but what else? it wouldn't let me REMOVE A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G either! everything depended on everything else! i couldn't remove gnome because gedit needed it! i couldn't remove gedit because gnome needed it! oh, man, just LET ME DELETE SOMETHING!

so puppy actually has this. i'm just saying, it's important. cater to this need.

furthermore, don't make people on the CLI use vi. when you are forced to use the cli, either it's because you're that good or you're that frustrated. let's not forget mp, eh? i mean it's not in grafpup, i will make a .pup for it. okay, but i can't imagine it's that large. it's that important. even tho we are talking about a mostly gui distro, let's try to keep in mind that some people want the cli, and they will probably hope that there are a few tools they can already use there. two things that would be GREAT for the ultimate puppy: a cli version of mut (so reliable) and a cli version of dotpet. honestly, it can be done!

**** package managers

.pet could work in puppy 1 and .pup could work in puppy 2. this among other things would help transcend the idea of a puppy 1 and a puppy 2. many of the wizards from puppy 2 could work in "puppy 1" if you could swap out the kernels.

.pet needs to be stable, designed properly, and then left alone, like .pup seemed to be (and pretty much was.)

**** window managers

i found the ultimate wm perhaps... as an alternative to, not replacement for, jwm.

i mean alternative to, jwm it's better looking than icewm and jwm, but it's smaller than the others. it comes with grafpup 2 alpha. it's GORGEOUS. and simple. no bs. is it fast enough? it feels faster than ice does.

the ultimate puppy would have jwm by default... and then that (i dont know the name) builtin (sfs maybe) as something you can switch to like yo ucan switch to and from flux in dsl.

jwm is notable above others in functionality as you can right click Kill process so much fun. ice doesnt have that?

xp and vista themes should never be installed by default. there will be dotpets for them both. ADD FUN... don't force windows looks on people.

**** browsers

there are so many new options for browsers. seamonkey or opera could go in an .sfs and something lighter could be part of the puppy core. browsers worth noting: hv3, iceweasel (like firefox), firefox, opera. there are still others. people that like bloat will LOVE sfs and people that like *lightweight* will love the new old/old new puppy!

**** gaim and seamonkey

worth consideration when you're cutting bloat out of puppy is cutting out seamonkey and gaim. xchat will let someone get on irc... anyone that wants aim, msn, yahoo have other options. make them .pup or .pet? well... it needs some libs from seamonkey. so maybe have them in a .pup together, or maybe have a standalone .pup for gaim with the needed libs. and ditto for seamonkey.

**** puppybasic

theres one thing i'm adamant about. when i got mu's 12mb puplet, i checked for something to see if it was there. it was, i was overjoyed- puppybasic. if it's there, people can make all kinds of tiny tight nice apps. if it isn't, none of them work.
it's a small thing, it makes many other small things work... you can build half a tiny os around it and cut out large bloaty apps. so would that be a dotpup like everything else? or... i mean if you want to make a puplet that is Not barebones preferably, still want to be small, but want to be unique.

a medium puppy gives them that. a bloated puppy isn't a good enough, but puppybasic is a great way to support tiny, simple, featured apps and wizards, keep puppy small, and friendly. puppybasic is about as important to puppy as bash is. even if you're not "using it," you need it.

**** summary and additional notes

the ultimate puppy would be small, fast, and easy to use. it would work on old computers. it would enable bloaty features for new computers via sfs, the way grafpup does.

it could use the puppy 1 kernel or the puppy 2 kernel. the one based on the lgpl scripts that may come soon might go so far as to put all non gpl stuff in a nongpl.sfs

the core will be more essential than the bloat. the bloat will be optional, the core will be the first focus, after quality itself. the core will stay under 100mb always, and attempt to stay under 80 (that means 75 is a GREAT job, and 70 is WONDERFUL)

it would be good to try to make .pet work in puppy 1 and .pup work in puppy 2. this among other things would help transcend the idea of a puppy 1 and a puppy 2. also, many of the wizards form puppy 2 are worth retrofitting to puppy 1, but this wouldn't be necessary if you could swap out the kernels.

jwm is worth sticking with... it's worth considering adding one more wm either to the core or to an .sfs (note that kde has a HUGE wm that you can run if you are running the kde sfs)

people really really want features. the ultimate puppy would entice people with many features but never at the cost to people that would otherwise just go barebones. look to grafpup 104 for the ultimate demonstration of balance.

few enticed > few users > few users > little support > little support > little debugging > little community > little quality.

100mb is too much. 200mb is way too much. 380 is not too much, as long as it is less than 400, and as long as the self-runnable (doesnt require other things) core is less than 100, and preferably 80-something or
less.

ideally, it's going to be easier to REMOVE apps than ever, and ideally, there will be more things for barebones puppy users... both in the gui and in the cli.

** even puppy 2.15 CE could use the basic idea that grafpup 104 has of an 80mb core and the rest in .sfs. **

worth noting: the derivative of puppy being described is the derivative of puppy that in the future is encountered by lobster, which he bases tmxxine on. unfortunately, it would take years for tmxxine to incorporate all that he found, and for copyright reasons he didn't include the lgpl scripts as they haven't been released yet. fortunately, lobster is patient, otherwise he would be more careless with paradoxes.

puppy is slower than it used to be. its size is runaway. its ease and features and eye candy are splintering in every direction. what's still important that was important before? let's document it before all it forgotten and demonstrated only by older versions.

**** what about you?

okay, so you have a puppy that is 80mb trying to be 70 or 60. you have 380mb total to work with, keeping it under 400mb with all the sfs. stuff.

what goes into 380mb? how would you sort it, if you could have puppy 1 or puppy 2 use up to 10 (maybe more) .sfs files? what would go in your core puppy? would you ever consider the space you'd have in the core to work with if you removed seamonkey once and for all, knowing it would be in one of the .sfs files? have you ever tried grafpup 104? what's so important that it should be on the main cd that MORE people use than now? your turn:

sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

amish

#2 Post by amish »

quoted with permission, regarding: "what's the best thing(s) about puppy, why do you use puppy... and what's the worst about puppy, whats the first thing you'd change?"

kermitfan22 says:

"I use it because I can add things to it, and remove the [crap] I don't use..."

"but the worst thing about puppy is finding the things I want and not having a million extra little libraries to add in to make them work"

"but a lot of things were easy for me... setting up my network was easy... but I don't have wireless"

"I want to be able to make menu's for the video DVD's that I need to burn for friends of mine serving in the military... but I can't find a package that I can use"

"even though I have 13 years unix experience, I don't really know where to start with all the dependancies and such"

regarding: "is there a distro that is better at doing this?"

"Mepis... things just.. work in Mepis"

"their apt-get rocks... when I install something from their libraries, it slaps it into the menu system"

"it's BIG and bulky, and that's why I like puppy... it's slim and trim"

"but I think there has to be middle ground some place along the way"

"I haven't played with 2.14 much I saw USB in the ALSA wizard, and that made me happy"

"for things like skype, I like to have a headset, for things like my MP3's, I like my regular card"

"I want support for my hyperthreaded cpu... but hey..."

"there aren't many other things.. besides a bigger .pup wish list"

"I want the new GAIM, because I'm sick of foreign guys thinking I'm available for chat on ICQ and messaging me OVER and OVER"

"[the new GAIM has] a "You can't see I'm online unless I authorize you" option in the new GAIM for ICQ"

"firefox crashing with java and flash pisses me off, but it's NOT a puppy problem... it's Firefox"

"I'm already getting cuddly with Opera... you know I'm frustrated when I threaten to install IE4Linux"

"speaking of... I donno if it's my copy of wine, or what... but it SUCKS in puppy... I have the 9.28 or what ever

Colonel Panic

#3 Post by Colonel Panic »

I largely agree with Amish here; keep Puppy small and allow a large choice of add-ons.

The only feature I believe Puppy (or any Linux distro) must have that it hasn't at present is a good two-pane file manager that runs from the console. Midnight Commander fits the bill admirably and there is a dotpup for it; I'd like to see it become part of the regular Puppy.

gary101

#4 Post by gary101 »

I am the first to admit that I know nothing so my opinion may be considered to be uninformed. (and frequently is) :)

I agree with Amish, my thinking goes this way:

A good operating system (for me) is a solid, dependable platform to run programs from.

The programs that run on the OS should be easy to install and uninstall

By keepng the two seperate the small, fast operating system can be more easily be developed and improved.

Of course a basic suite of tools should be included with the OS but users will install the programs they prefer anyway so why fill out with bloat?

Dotpups and dotpets are great, the only thing I have found is that they have no included description either in the download page or package manager or Puppy software installer. This means that if you do not know what it does you have to trawl through the forums to see if it is relevent to you. Some other distros I have used have a description of what the program/file/script does in the package management system, I reckon this would be a nice touch in puppy.

Sorry if this seems a simplistic point of view, but hey, I like simple things.

rarsa

Re: howto build a grand unified puppy

#5 Post by rarsa »

Disclaimer: Sorry if I missed something important, I didn't read the whole post. I just skimmed it.
amish wrote:a number of people have complained about splintering lately, even a lack of unity.
Either you have long memory or I have a very short attention spam. IMHO It has been ages since this issue was put to rest.
could a puplet help bring people together?
It may bring "some" people together while another pupplet will bring some other people together.

Here is my personal definition and how I understand "Pupplet":
A pupplet is a version derived from the official puppy customized for a particular purpose or preference

So the great thing about pupplets is the potential for diversity.

You may be referring to the quote from something Barry said "Every release is a Beta".

I think that quote was taken out of context. I'll risk giving my own interpretation: "Stop complaining that something does not work. Report it and it eventually will get in".

I am a believer and practitioner of Agile development where frequent releases and constant user feedback and addaptation to change are paramount. In my own experience the end result of Agile projects is a deliverable that is more stable and more aligned with the user's needs than big bang software.

If you check my contributions you'll see that once I start working on something it goes really fast from release to release, fixing bugs every release. I consider every release being "ready for inclusion". It is always "working software" even if it does not include 100% of the desired features or some users may still find bugs.

Talking about splintering. What you are suggesting is exactly what klhrev and gang are doing, you could join their effort.

klhrev has explained frequently that they think that the 1.x branch of puppy is quite stable and they want to build up on that until they feel that the 2.x branch is stable enough.

So it is not splintering, it is creating a subcommunity among the community. Same thing I read you suggest.

If you don't share klhrev and gang goals then it is OK to start a group and create a pupplet that has all those goals you mention.

As a final note: Software will never be perfect. I could elaborate if you want, but for now, trust me. It is illusory to think that by enlarging the release schedule you'll be able to get rid of more bugs, simply because you'll find less.

Having working software is preferable to having vapourware.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

alienjeff

how to build a grand unified puppy

#6 Post by alienjeff »

rarsa wrote:Disclaimer: Sorry if I missed something important, I didn't read the whole post. I just skimmed it.
I didn't just skim Amish's post - I read it in its entirety. Any post, regardless of its author, which involved that much thought, structure, time and passion is deserving of a full read, at least IMHO.
rarsa wrote:You may be referring to the quote from something Barry said "Every release is a Beta".

I think that quote was taken out of context. I'll risk giving my own interpretation: "Stop complaining that something does not work. Report it and it eventually will get in".
First, Barry's quote: of course it was taken out of context. Barry didn't just pop in, open a new post, simply proclaim "Every release is a Beta" and then go back to LALALALALALA coding-land.

Second, the interpretation: bugs are reported, yet frequently neglected either by being too low on the priority list, lack of interest or being conveniently ignored. When this neglect stretches over several versions, some people who took the time to test alpha or beta versions and faithfully reported the bug do complain.

So instead of relying on Rarsa's interpretation of a quote taken out of context, here is Barry's complete post from where the now-famous and oft-quoted "Every release of Puppy is really a beta" quip came from:
Barry Kauler wrote:Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 06:00 AM
Forget about backup2cd, it's history. It was neglected for ages, then zigbert came along and now we have a great new product, with rapid depvelopment.

One thing you must always remember, I'm bombarded with suggestions (including complaints) from all sides. It's not just forum posts, I get emails and p.m.s every day. I have to weave my way through it all, doing what I think is best for Puppy, and I know I'm not going to please everyone -- in fact, it would be bad for the project if I tried to.
Longer release cycles? That will probably happen sometime. Every release of Puppy is really a beta, but then so is every other distro I've ever tested. But, I anticipate we will reach a certain plateau sometime, where we can just work on fixing bugs ...maybe.
reference: http://www.puppyos.net/news/comments.ph ... 113-002857

I dare Barry, or anyone else for that matter, to proclaim "Every release of Debian is really a beta."

An alpha is an alpha. A beta is a beta. A release candidate is a release candidate. And a release is a release. Period.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

rarsa

Re: how to build a grand unified puppy

#7 Post by rarsa »

alienjeff wrote:Any post, ...is deserving of a full read, at least IMHO.
Agree and that's why I put the disclaimer. I'm at work.
rarsa wrote:Second, the interpretation: bugs are reported, yet frequently neglected either by being too low on the priority list, lack of interest or being conveniently ignored.
I attribute it to falling through the cracks, Barry's blog entry was very clear. I can faintly imagine the amoutn of correspondence and sugestions Barry receives. I can barelly keep up with the "advice", "suggestions" and "recommendations" eventhough I contribute in a very small way compared to Barry's work.
rarsa wrote:I dare Barry, or anyone else for that matter, to proclaim "Every release of Debian is really a beta."
In the context used by Barry, I dare to say it. If it was perfect the most recent release would be the last.

puppyfan12

#8 Post by puppyfan12 »

RE: splintering - I agree with some of your comments and as of this morning I've halted working on my own Puplet. Instead of reinventing the wheel there, I've agreed to help Lobster centralize the Community Feedback on the wiki for puppy CE since I've begun to notice most of what I want is being considered and implemented. Also centralizing everyones comments and ideas is a lot of work for 1 person to do it effectively. Reading input from so many people is time consuming as well. Bringing everyones ideas centralized, in point form might be helpful for developers who want to spend more time developing and working on puppy than they do reading lengthy debates.

If you're interested in contributing, the project is here. I'll try and mention your suggestions/ideas for puppy.

I'm not sure about the the technical differences between puppy 1.x and 2.x but disagreements in direction are common in FOSS development and I don't see a problem with Barry's current direction of puppy. It appears that the 2 puppy CE's and Barry's inclusion of community input as a result of them is unifying the community, not splintering it. If klhrev or part of the community prefers 1.x branch (as Rarsas post indicates) I don't see anything from stopping them from creating their own fork. Forks are common in OSS and diversity is a good thing. I'm just the new guy though so what do I know :?:.

Re: your ubuntu comments - This is a puppy forum, however With ubuntu you have the option do a base install without including X or any unnecessary apps and add only what you need similar to a Debian install (that's what Ubuntu is based on).

RE: window managers - Clarification required...were you suggesting a WM called "ultimate wm" that comes with grafpup 2 alpha as an alternative to jwm?

whodo mentioned the initial alpha of the community edition will have lots of extra themes etc to let the community see whats available. He also said this will be trimmed down in the final release and the initial bloated version is just so everyone can have a sample of what's out there and available.

RE: calculators I agree with that. 1 one calculator is enough unless another offers required features the other doesn't offer. Calculators don't require redundancy :)

clarification required...you were talking about scripts under your calculators heading and lost me there.

RE: Browsers - there's going to be 2 CE versions of puppy.

It sounds like Firefox is going to be the default browser in the office version and possibly Opera will be included as well because of it's popularity. Also using both browsers is required for testing websites since they utilize different rendering engines. Comments on that suggestion are also welcome because I could be wrong about that but whodo can clarify if that's accurate.

It sounds to me like you're more concerned about the standard CE version though since it's going to be the slimmed down version (I'm also guessing Barry will take ideas from that one). The slimmed down browsers for the standard edition are still being explored. Browser reviews and feature vs size comparisons are welcome in addition to listing browser titles to help select an appropriate one if it's important to you.
the ultimate puppy would be small, fast, and easy to use. it would work on old computers. it would enable bloaty features for new computers via sfs, the way grafpup does.
Disclaimer:I apologize if it's rude to use the quote feature since I noticed someone said they quoted "with permission". I only using the quote feature to point out what comment I'm responding to, not to be offensive.

I'm not convinced that bloat is the right term to use for the more powerful applications which offer superior functionality on systems that are able to handle them. I agree more lightweight applications should be used in a standard edition and the goal should be to get the most features in the smallest total size. That is it's goal. Those lightweight applications you suggest become the unnecessary "bloat" when users want to have more powerful applications and have all these unnecessary lightweight tools.

This is why it was suggested to make 2 community editions. Standard "lightweight" for old hardware and office "full featured" for modern hardware. The only way a single unified release could possibly work without having any 'bloat' as you put it, is if it was a barebones puppy with no applications that allowed the user to select each component to include for their own remastered build.

RE: your mention of file size, I agree the base puppy should be slim...I'd prefer it to stay under 50MB to fit on a wallet cd instead of 80mb however.

RE: the 10 .sfs files suggestion, I read somewhere on the forum that there's a kernel limitation on how many of them can be used as loop devices. I remember reading a few of the limited .sfs loops were reserved for puppy. I could be totally off though, I don't fully understand it yet so maybe someone else can explain?

I haven't tried grafpup 104 but I will. I don't think seamonkey is imperative but the browser is the most important application and whichever one is used should be able to render most websites properly.

Feel free to contribute and provide input on the community edition and in the meantime I'll try to include your suggestions.
Joe D.

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

Quotes are fine.
Pizzasgood wrote:
Pizzasgood wrote:Quotes are fine.
And you can quote me on that.

Erm, back to Puppy. Have you browsed through Puppy's start menu? Count the calculators. Although only three are actual calculators. The other two are converters. I don't really like any of them. I usually just grab my TI-30XIIB from my backpack, or my TI-83+ from my desk (first thing I ever programmed, by the way). I use Gnumeric for complicated stuff with many numbers to keep track of.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rarsa

#10 Post by rarsa »

Pizzasgood wrote:Although only three are actual calculators. The other two are converters. I don't really like any of them.
I'm working on that. Stay tunned.

alienjeff

how to build a grand unified puppy

#11 Post by alienjeff »

Before an alpha is made available for testing, please consider these wise words from the creator of BarelyPup:
pakt (aka Paul) wrote: pakt
Friday, February 23, 2007, 04:31 AM
Is anyone working on a service pack for 2.14? There are a number of updates and bugfixes that didn't make it into 2.14.

Perhaps we should first concentrate on getting these 'cracks' in the foundation fixed before starting to build a new house on it?

Paul
reference http://www.puppyos.net/news/comments.ph ... 220-220549

The present mode of "Ready! Fire! Aim!" doesn't work. Remember: horse first, then cart ...
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

rarsa

Re: how to build a grand unified puppy

#12 Post by rarsa »

alienjeff wrote:Before an alpha is made available...
pakt (aka Paul) wrote:Perhaps we should first concentrate on getting these 'cracks' in the foundation fixed before starting to build a new house on it?
Sorry, am I missing something here?

If he has the technical expertise he can create a service pack for 2.14, if not, he can collecting the different patches that have been released and ask someone else to join him on creating the service pack.

Why should everyone else stop doing whatever it is they want to do?

Even in the professional comercial environment, projects continue with the next release while service packs are created by a different team.

I welcome the initiative to create the service pack as a parallel happening. Even having a "service pack team" that keeps an eye on fixes and releases regular (once a week? daily?) cummulative service packs so users can go to just one location instead of hunting for fixes.

Even more, that "service pack team" would be invaluable on providing feedback to Barry. He cannot possible keep track of all the fixes and patches that are released between versions and sometimes they fall through the cracks.

Does this make sense?

gray

Puppy 2.15 Requirements

#13 Post by gray »

Hi guys,

I am new to Linux, (but used Unix many many years ago) and have toyed with a few distributions. Out of all of them I like Slax and Puppy best. Several things have struck me on my voyage of discovery. The first is how good Linux has become, almost as good as windows XP. I say almost because there are still a lot of rough edges. The second is how BIG many of the distros are ! There is much ranting after the recent release of Windows Vista about hardware requirements needed to run it, but honestly most of the Linux distros are getting just as bad. What really annoys me in a distro is having multiple apps (like 5 calculators already mentioned) and apps I will never use.

That is why I like puppy. It is small and fast. Hopefully it will stay that way. However, there is considerable room for improvement even with Puppy. Look and feel is one of them. JWM is stable but dull (dull, dull, dull). Puppy needs more polish - XFCE looks promising in that regard. The file manager is also lacking. A good two pane manager is needed - I like the look of Xfe. As for web browsers / mail, SeaMonkey again falls short. Opera / Firefox are preferable with Sylpheed for mail. Gnumeric is a great spreadsheet, but Abiword is a mere toy of a WP. I need to be able to write technical reports and give presentations - that means OpenOffice (though I dont need a database - damn). I also need to be able to install Scilab, Blender and VTK easily - then I can walk around with an entire engineering workstation on my USB pendrive (cool !!). As for chat or Gimp - I never use them. In fact there are lots of little apps in puppy that just clutter up the menus as far as I am concerned.

SO I have come to the conclusion that Puppy cannot be all things to all men (or women !). What is needed is a very stable, good looking, functional BASE from which people can EASILY build puppy up to their own specifications by adding on modular packages (much as Slax does) that can be dowloaded by PetGet (and can be easily removed again).

That means no Abiword, only basic browser (Hv3?), no games, no chat, no duplicate functions etc. I want a lean, mean, PuppyMachine.

Reading many of the posts, I think most people share this opinion.

nuff said,

GRAY

klhrevolutionist

#14 Post by klhrevolutionist »

You got a fellow who wants some unity & all we can do is argue ? The fact is puppy cannot do everything for everybody, true. The point is and this is my guess is that amish wants to please the community.

If what amish & possibly others are wanting is a true community edition one that is not controlled by a few I will be pleased to participate. I see that as a step forward from what we have come to expect & accept. Not only can we teach, we can also learn from others.

PuppyLinux-Foundation.org
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

WhoDo

#15 Post by WhoDo »

klhrevolutionist wrote:If what amish & possibly others are wanting is a true community edition one that is not controlled by a few I will be pleased to participate. I see that as a step forward from what we have come to expect & accept. Not only can we teach, we can also learn from others.
Gee, Kenny, that's what I thought we were doing with Puppy 2.15CE Standard and Office editions? :?

There is not one single opinion that hasn't been absorbed, digested, considered and dealt with appropriately. And it doesn't stop there. Alpha has now been uploaded and I'm keen for the community to try it out and make their recommendations. I most certainly DO listen.

That said, I am a project coordinator (I even balked at project "leader" because I'm more of follower of community wishes in this case). I have not been pressured to do or not do anything, with the possible exception of Lobster making sure I don't slack off. No-one is actually "controlling" this project but the community itself! :shock:

Bottom line, though: I don't expect the new edition to please everybody. That would take a miracle and I still can't turn water into wine, as much as I'd like to be able to do that before anything else! :P

Please, please people. Contribute, criticize constructively, and Puppy 2.15CE will deliver a true community edition. The only community members who have been excluded are those who have excluded themselves by choice and offered nothing. That's okay, too, but by doing so they also give up the right to criticize the results, don't they :?:

Cheers

amish

#16 Post by amish »

wow, this thread exploded!

that gives me hope.

i haven't had a chance to catch up on it today, but it means a lot to me and i will, but let me address one thing that caught my eye and i'll be through later...

guys fighting: this is the OPPOSITE of the idea behind this thread. i understand that people need to respect each others wishes, and i understand a lot of people feel marginalized lately. one thing that's becoming marginalized (apparantly) is the need to keep puppy small and fast like it always was up to this point.

as much as i am in favor of muppy, grafpup deluxe (a large inspiration for this thread in fact,) and other bloaty derivatives for faster newer machines, i don't think they should become what puppy is all about. after all, puppy's size is half of what makes it unique. puppy's feature's also make it unique, as there are many barebones distros, and dsl is very popular, but they aren't as much FUN as puppy. so puppy is special for balancing TINY and FUN... and it accomplishes this feat like none other, not even feather (feather is a decent runner up imo, but it's not puppy.)

let me be clear on something i support whodo - i appreciate what he's trying to do, i'm glad someone is trying to revive CE, i think that's important, and i trust his INTENTIONS to the utmost degree!

what i don't support is a 200mb ce edition. i don't and i won't any year soon. but let it strike out and fail, and let people learn from it. and don't take it out on whodo! puppy is bloated because people really are asking for bloat- that doesn't mean it should be and it doesn't make it a good idea, but it's worth noting.. puppy is bloated because puppy's creator wants to experiment with bloat. and i hate to say it's his right to do so, but it is- and, it doesnt require us to be bloaty, that's the best part!

so be it! look, don't take it out on whodo. 2.15 ce may (or may not) be a lost cause, but i refuse to believe that one person is to blame, and i refuse to blame one person.

this really is about trying to figure out how to bring unity again. let's not point fingers at people "messing things up" but take advantage of that fact that puppy is becoming more flexible and open, and size it down again for the sake of everyone. not by making whodo into a bad guy, but by setting an example and talking about what's important.

then the next time ce comes out, maybe MANY people will call for something lighter. and i find it very hard to believe whodo will respond: "screw you guys, i want bloat."

okay?

there's a lot of people that weren't responded to here, and i promise to pay this thread much closer attention today. happy weekend, folks. don't forget we're a community. let's work on that. seriously.

whodo: don't worry about it.

guys: don't worry about it. let's just work on specs for now, ideas, leave some wiggle room for thought. we can always put the crucifix back up later, eh?

and i wish this hadn't been moved to "suggestions" where it will quickly become obscure. i thought it would be moved to howto, but i feel it is at least worthy of "misc" or something like that. i wanted a discussion, not a suggestion. this is not a suggestion at all, any more than running out into the streets naked and screaming is a "suggestion" this is a manifesto, and the beginning of a new derivative of puppy - i hope.

and if it all works out, then we'll have barry, and john murga, and klh, and jeff, and even whodo, to thank. that is, if we can stop killing each other for a minute. that would be awesome. yeah, yeah. i'm still an idealist, god help us all.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

amish

#17 Post by amish »

Quote:
could a puplet help bring people together?
It may bring "some" people together while another pupplet will bring some other people together.
rarsa, it's no good replying point-for-point when you haven't read enough of the post to get the context of what i said. i appreciate (totally) that you looked at my post and didn't have time to read it all... i don't mind, but if you didn't read it, you're not replying to *what i said* you're just replying to words.

some people might think words and what's being said are one in the same. that's a lofty gaol to aim for, but you're no idiot and i know you know better.

so i'll clarify the words in question: i wasn't talking about bringing SOME people together. i was talking about something that could bring More people together, vs bringing more people apart.

and my memory is very long. it's not perfect, but i don't think anything just "goes away" things don't just get resolved and then everyone's happy. i try really hard to keep an eye on who's happy, because when i recommend puppy to someone, i try to recommend the one that is going to help them the most. grafpup 104 for some, watch for grafpup 2 if you want multiuser...

puppy 107 if cdrecord doesn't work or if you want it in dos, or 2.11 or 2.12. use rarsa's wizard if you can't get online. so some of the feelings around here are real, and some i imagined.

but yeah, i do watch. and i wouldn't say that any of the issues of the last few months are in the past. they are... like your truly excellent tcl and other apps that help make puppy great, and like puppy, these issues are works in progress. and just like you find new ideas for tweaking software, we find new bugs and new solutions in the community. you can't just say "okay, release version!" in the middle of a beta stage. that's a big part of it. and if you can, consider version 2 or 3- so to speak.

Yogi

#18 Post by Yogi »

IMO the perfect flavor (for me) already exists - that is Puppy 1.0.9 CE. It's only 63 MB and I probably only use 15% of its capabilities. But I am still learning Linux and appreciate the fact that I have room to grow within this distro alone. We should all be grateful that there are quite a few flavors of Puppy that range in size to suit everyone's ideal. After all, the one thing Linux affords us is choice. I would just like to take a moment to thank all those members who have given to the rest of us their "labors of love" so that we may choose for ourselves. Big or small, thanks to all. Keep up the great work!

Nathan F

#19 Post by Nathan F »

Hey gang, can I play too?

Seriously now, I read the entire first post with rapt attention. There is definately a lot of thought going into what Amish is saying. A lot of it I agree with, a lot of it makes me blush a bit :oops: , and of course there are a few things that I take exception to a little bit. But overall thanks for the very good read.

A few clarifications. Amish's 'ultimate wm' from Grafpup-2.xx is Openbox, with lxpanel providing the desktop panel. The default theme was hacked from the Human theme, originally ported over from Ubuntu. I also included the ubuntulooks gtk engine and both Human and Human-blue gtk themes. I can provide the themes and source packages to anyone who is interested, however the binaries were compiled against differing base libraries and are unsuitable for use in Puppy.

I want to respond more fully to the package management issues. Many of us are aware of the problems with package management in Puppy over the last several releases. I agree that petget has become somewhat unstable and definately slower for a while. The trend has reversed somewhat in 2.14 and it now seems to work both more reliably and faster. However I still feel there is room for improvement.

If you want to install software on the command line there is an alternative, although it is not part of Puppy as of right now. I hacked together a CLI package manager called pkgtool which has now seen several releases and can be seen in action in Grafpup-2.xx, or can be downloaded via svn or from the post in the additional software section on this forum. I also have begun wrapping a gui around the application. The results I believe are in most ways a radical improvement over petget but nowhere near as complete at this point. Check it out please, and report how it works for you so I can improve it.

This also brings up another point that was made, which is a bit touchy. Barry does listen well if the point is made in the right way, and you do as much of the legwork as possible for him. I don't PM him about a bug unless I supply a patch, and he has included several of them in Puppy now. I do see that a lot of things fall through the cracks and that is a big problem, a trend that I would like to see reversed if possible. Remember to give the guy some credit though. Speeking from more experience than a lot of you, what Barry does is amazing.

At one point in time we toyed around with setting up a bug tracker, but it never did get used much and has since fallen into total obscurity. We really need to reinstate this, to collect all of the real bugs in one place so they can be kept track of and not forgotten. I'm talking bugs here, not more requests for mega-application dotpups or the endless request for a Puppy facelift.

For the time being if you encounter a bug I would suggest this. Collect as much information as possible about the bug before you so much as mention it on the forum or on Barry's news blog. If you have the technical knowhow, by all means create a fix before you submit a bug report. Only send Barry a PM if it is a critical bug, and then provide everything possible for him to get it fixed right away.

The worst thing you can do is just turn up on the forum and say 'XYZ application doesn't work. What the hell kind of project are you guys running here?' That will automatically alienate your best sources of help by sounding a bit rude, and it provides absolutely no background to help with identifying the underlying problem. Barry (and some others here) give a lof of their time so you can use Puppy. The least you can do is give a little of your time to help identify the actual problem.

Amish also mentioned MP being missing in Grafpup. It's not an oversight but a design choice. I didn't include Geany either. Grafpup comes with two editors, leafpad for graphical usage, and mcedit, which is the builtin editor that comes with MidnightCommander. It's not as nice as MP but it's functional, and I highly recommend using it if you have to muck about on the command line. You will find it infinately easier to learn than vi, mainly because it is nowhere near as complicated.

Now I want to speak a litle bit on the splintering concept, because being who I am I have to take this one a bit personally. I am the guy who has created and maintained the most ambitious puplet out there. I'm not going to claim it's the most successful because that is totally subjective, but nobody else maintains their own website complete with news blog, supprot forum, bug tracker, package repo, and image gallery specifically for a derivative of Puppy. On the one hand it might be viewed as selfish and taking away from Puppy's glory, but I would disagree with that assessment and I will lay out my reasons.

The biggest thing I want to stress about this is that I try whenever possible to make sure that at least some bits of Grafpup are feuling development for Puppy. For instance 2.14 now contains my Grafburn cd burner. Also, while going through Puppy's scripts to make Grafpup multi-user capable I discovered one or tweo quite serious bugs in Puppy's core that I reported to Barry and together we managed to get them fixed. I'm not bragging here, the point is about to be made.

The point is that creating a derivative work can strengthen the original project if the developer(s) of the derivative work are able to communicate their enhancements upstream. Take a look at Ubuntu v. Debian. Ubuntu developers contribute as much as anyone as far as bug reports and patches to the Debian system. A lot of other distros, whether they are based on Ubuntu or Debian proper, are now running bits of code that originated with Ubuntu. Bear that in mind before you start criticizing Ubuntu, should you ever get that urge.

It is also important to properly credit and acknowledge Barry, Puppy, and the Puppy community at large if you intend to create a puplet or reuse the code in any way. Please always do this.

If you are running a software project that is derived from another software project and you encounter a bug, you are going to want to see that bug fixed upstream so that you don't have to keep applying the same patches to get your own project running, every time you sync the codebase. It wouldn't make sense to keep it all to yourself or horde it for your users because that just makes more work for you when it's time to update again.

So my point is that as long as someone's project is having a positive impact on Puppy in some way let's not call it a splinter but rather think of it as extended family. In the world of free software all projects are dependent somewhere along the line with something else, take a link out and you leave a hole. Someone will eventually fill the crack, but for a while functionality will suffer somewhere else. The diversity is one of free software's greatest strengths though, because we all tend to support one another (whether we know we're doing it or not).

Now briefly on to the size issue here. Puppy-1.xx was always right around 60-65MB, because it had to be to run right on low ram pc's. In Puppy-1.xx, all of the kernel modules included in the distro got loaded, unconmpressed, right into the ramdisk. This was a huge waste of space, and it also limited what could be included so far as hardware support goes. In Puppy-2.xx we only load what is absolutely required to get the system up and running into the ramdisk, and then load everything else from compressed files. In versions that came along after the zdrv file came into being, the rest of the modules don't even exist in ram but on the boot media or hard drive. So the size of the iso is not telling the whole story here, a Puppy-1.xx iso is by it's nature not as efficient with ram as Puppy-2.xx is. In other words Puppy-2.xx can be significantly larger in theory without sacrificing speed, all while offering better hardware support.

If you look at what is actually being loaded into ram here are the numbers. The initrd takes up around 1600K, about 1.5 MB. pup_xxx.sfs takes up about 65-66MB. In Puppy-1.xx towards the end of it's active release cycle we were loading usr_cram.sf at 52MB and image.gz, uncompressed, for an additional 12MB. Totaling up the numbers you get around 68MB for Puppy-2xx, and 64MB for Puppy-1.xx, for ram usage. The only other difference is the kernel size, which is a slight jump going from 2.4 to 2.6. So while Puppy-1.xx runs a little lighter it is not all that big of a difference, and one that could be closed with a bit of ingenuity. If you really want Puppy on business card sized cd the total size sucks now, but it's not running much heavier than before. Plus, things like Wireless Internet were a total pain in Puppy-1.xx. The 2.4 kernel does offer better support for a limited range of older hardware but 2.6 is steadily closing the gap, and is way better for newer stuff.

It is also for this reason I have been able to move Grafpup from around 80MB to around 100MB, although I want desperately to trim some fat off at this point.

So hopefully I have debunked one or two misconceptions and rumors here, and clarified my stance on a few key issues. I do want to express my wish that we all work together to make Puppy and Free Software in general better. My personal opinion at this point is that the best way to do that at this point is by supporting Barry's efforts in the long run, and in the short run let's make a good community iso, even if you feel slighted by certain decisions. Don't let hurt feelings or the perception that your opinion is being igneored get in the way, because by doing so you hurt yourself and the community at large.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

Nathan F wrote:...thanks for the very good read.
Amen to that, and to the sentiments in your post, Nathan.

Cheers