VideoLAN 0.8.6 media player

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
lvds

#31 Post by lvds »

Hi,

1. I have found that the red lines appearings when watching videos with VLC only come in Xvesa video mode for me, when i choose Xorg the problem disappear.
I remember having read somewhere there is a special setup for each Xorg or Xvesa so you have to tell VLC either with command line or with preferences settings in menus which display you use. I guess it is by default on Xorg mode, so when you use it under Xvesa you get "red lines" on screen.

2. Though desperate efforts i have not been able to have quicktime flows with VLC, i always get a black window ; does anyone know how to have quicktime videos in VLC ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

EdFromHouston

#32 Post by EdFromHouston »

lvds wrote:Hi,

2. Though desperate efforts i have not been able to have quicktime flows with VLC, i always get a black window ; does anyone know how to have quicktime videos in VLC ?

Best regards,
Laurent.
I had this problem so I installed the newest FFmpeg discussed here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14213

It helped on some Quicktime videos like these:

http://www.linspire.com/products_linspi ... patibility

lvds

#33 Post by lvds »

...Thanks, i will do it, will i need something more for playing DVD films or FFMPEG does all ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

EdFromHouston

#34 Post by EdFromHouston »

I don't know that much about it other than when I installed the newest FFmpeg it worked better.

I think the thing with VLC is that it doesn't use most codecs but uses the FFmpeg library instead when it can and this new one has a better library.
I guess if it didn't it would be another Mplayer.

I'd try backing up the save file using a live cd and then make changes because if you do it using a hard drive install something may go wrong if you have problems with the new FFmpeg and then I wouldn't be able to help much as I'm no wiz at this stuff.

disciple

#35 Post by disciple »

I get the vertical lines with Xorg :(

evil

VLC streaming

#36 Post by evil »

I have VLC setup on 2 different PCs running Windows. One PC has a webcam connected and I have set this PC to stream from the webcam (capture device) to the other PC running VLC. I can view it and It works great.

HOWEVER: I read on the following link that Direct Streaming is only possible with Windows (and not Linux):
http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-h ... l#id300488

Is this still the case for linux? Has any one tried it with Puppy linux? Is it possible now?

Many thanks for any answers.....

goncal

VTC on Puppy 2.16.1 and 1.5

#37 Post by goncal »

Hello Tempestuous

A big thank you for providing a dotpup for a media player that now lets me use Puppy 2.16.1 on my PIII 1GHZ 256MB RAM living room laptop for Internet TV and listening to BBC Radio and other stations without any problems - gxgine just did not work - I removed 0,1 from run-VTC as you suggested and it works great.

I have not been brave enough to try and install the VideoLAN dotpup on my P4 computer, which has been happily running Puppy 1.5 for some time now (it must be over two years) thanks to you, Rarsa and many other very helpful forum members - I tried upgrading but links and traditional directories were moved or disappeared so I went back to my old v1.5 pup1 file. I even installed a Labtec camera, Mercury, and so on, so that my machine would be as capable as a WinXP PC. (Now the only problem I have is with new Flash versions that I cannot install due to Puppy 1.5's older libraries.)

Will Puppy 1.5 support your VideoLAN dotpup? My fears are, installing it, and then further on finding out there is something else that stopped working.

Thanks once more

Goncal

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

This pup will work on 2.12 and later..I tried on earlier versions but failed miserably.
There is a debian package of the previous version but with little webtv support as it needs windows codecs and the linux vesion cannot use them.

You could try mplayer (108 or unichrome)...only problem I had was the ffmpeg version is buggy and on some soundcards will fail for webtv (sound) formats ...it may be fine for your setup...the workaround is to force the use of the win32 codec eg -ac wmadmo ....confused me at first as on the machine I compiled the live cd it worked 100% but crashed on the machine it was destined for.

As for using a later version puppy could you not save your data then add it to a fresh install ... I find the pup_save update scripts to be a bit hit and miss especially if you have added software....there are major structure differences from series 1 puppies to 2.10

hope this clarifies

mike

disciple

#39 Post by disciple »

Oops, this wasn't supposed to go here :(

goncal

VideoLAN puppy 1.0.5 etc

#40 Post by goncal »

Hello mike

Thank you for your reply. I will stick to gxgine on 1.0.5 then which works OK for most of the time with the extra codecs.

I stick to puppy 1.0.5 as it is a very light distro and has proved to be extremely stable, boots very quickly, etc. I have also installed Mercury, Wine, and many other apps (some of those are actually included in newer Puppies) and since I do not have much time to myself (I manage my wife's Windoze / Mac computer networks, have a daughter, travel for business, etc) I just use it happily.

You are right anyway, I should migrate slowly to newer Puppies whilst using the older one - I can always have two _save files on my VFAT HD.

Having said that I installed puppy 2.16 on an ext2 partition on my PIII 1GHz 256MB laptop and since it does support my USB WiFi card (Thompson ST121 or something) now I use that laptop for watching WebTV in the living room on the bigger TV screen.

Cheers goncal

Juggz

Puppy 3.01 Install

#41 Post by Juggz »

I just installed it in my grown up Puppy 3.01, he just grew from 3.00 as of yesterday. :)

It's working so far, as I am using it now! :D

Same ol' VLC that I have been satisfied with for years playing stuff on PC's, Mac's, & now Linux!
In the words of the most wise Scrappy Doo, "PUPPY POWER!!!" :D

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

There is a slackware package of 0.8.6c available here
http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slackwa ... lc/0.8.6c/

which works fine with puppy.

libhal and libdbus are needed from here
http://packages.debian.org/sid/libhal1
http://packages.debian.org/sid/libs/libdbus-1-3

and libraries for codecs and the wxwidgets libs not already in puppy..ie those in the dotput in this thread.

This package includes pvr and tv card support, goom and skins2 support plus about a dozen skins and other output modules..ie the complete vlc.

Package size could be reduced but removing unwanted plugins/libraries/skins.....the wxwidgets support is the main reason for the size of vlc and is still needed for menues/preferences even if skins2 is used.

The package installation does not conflict with the dotpup package so can be evaluated alongside it.

mike

edit... the wxwidgets libraries are compiled into this package so the external ones are not needed :)