VideoLAN 0.8.6 media player

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

MPlayer will play all known codecs and all known media types (including FlashVideo flv), but whether MPlayer can play video EMBEDDED in a browser is a separate issue.

Generally, MPlayer will play any video stream if you ask it to play the true mms/rtsp URL of the stream.

But browser-embedded video playback in Linux is a "black art". There is a good discussion regarding Mozilla/Firefox plugins for MPlayer here - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5836#85836
Even when we configure browser plugins to handle Windows .asx files, which are just "pointer" files to the true video stream, the website designers can (and do) write code which prohibits the stream from being played by anything other than WindowsMediaPlayer.

Similarly, FlashVideo files on Youtube can only be played within a browser using the Flash9 plugin.

Regarding extra codecs, the extra-codec packs available as dotpups are overkill in my opinion. The only common codecs not supported by MPlayer's inbuilt ffmpeg library are WindowsMedia9 and RealVideo10. These 2 codecs can be added for a size increase of just 1MB, and that's just what my MPlayer1.0rc1-nvidia.pup includes.

Regarding VideoLAN, I compiled it in Puppy 2.12. Puppy's libraries were significantly updated with Puppy 2.10, so VLC is likely to have problems running in Puppy versions prior to 2.10.

Regarding the LIVE libraries, the official build instructions say to compile them in-situ. Then it's difficult knowing which files can safely be removed. But if you don't want to play LIVE streams, then you can certainly remove the LIVE libraries to save space.

bobst

Re: VideoLAN 0.8.6 media player

#22 Post by bobst »

tempestuous wrote:Thanks to MU, this dotpup is hosted here - http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/VLC-0.8.6.pup
Link no worky. :cry:

Sit Heel Speak

#23 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

disciple

Broken VLC

#24 Post by disciple »

Uriens - in Puppy 2.13 if I delete /usr/local/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so then I get

sh-3.00# run-VLC
sh-3.00# VLC media player 0.8.6 Janus
starting VLC root wrapper... using UID 0 (root)
* Running VLC as root is discouraged. *

It is potentially dangerous, and might not even work properly.
[00000273] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main private error: interface "(null)" initialization failed

which is why I think it is wxwidgets related, although I guess it could be something else maybe. Do you still have this file? (it should have come from the dotpup)

I think there are also alternative gui interfaces for VLC that you could try if all else fails.

Uriens

#25 Post by Uriens »

Morning disciple,

I've got the file /usr/local/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so.
But you're right. The error is related to wxwidgets, because without the GUI everything works fine.
You're talking about alternative graphical interfaces. Can you give me an example, how to configure or start VLC with this kind of GUI?!

Thank and regards

disciple

#26 Post by disciple »

I just said that because there is a thing in the menu to "add interface" - I have never had a reason to try it. I had a look now and the only other gui interface is a "skinnable" interface.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php

It looks like it would be worth trying.

Try running this too:
vlc - v --reset-config --reset-plugins-mask - L | grep wx
I have no idea what it means but I think it could tell you what the problem is. You could always ask for help on the VLC forum too.

Canadianpride

#27 Post by Canadianpride »

Hi there. I can't seem to get sound to work when playing an flv file with VLC. I know the creater of this thread suggested starting it from the command line without a certain parameter but I don't understand how to do that. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...
Matthew.

This is what it says when I start VLC from rxvt

sh-3.00# /usr/local/VLC-0.8.6/run-VLC
sh-3.00# VLC media player 0.8.6 Janus
starting VLC root wrapper... using UID 0 (root)
* Running VLC as root is discouraged. *

It is potentially dangerous, and might not even work properly.

(.:1217): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'gnome-fs-home'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases
mdb:1, lastbuf:0 skiping granule 0
[00000355] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)

EdFromHouston

#28 Post by EdFromHouston »

For what it's worth I know Flash 9 .flv uses ALSA for sound. It says in the system requirements for Flash9 that other audio will fail. I know flash player isn't VLC but this may help you.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplay ... ystemreqs/

disciple

#29 Post by disciple »

What Tempestuous was saying is that if you click on the VLC entry in the menu, then it does the same thing as if you open an RXVT terminal and run:
vlc --alsadev=hw:0,1
So if you just run:
vlc
in a terminal, then you are doing what they suggested - trying it without the --alsadev=hw:0,1 option

Does your sound work for other files? You may just need to change the audio output device in the VLC preferences from OSS to ALSA.

Hmmm. I don't have VLC in this install because of the funny video, but I don't get any audio from Youtube flv files in Gxine or Mplayer. Maybe my ALSA is actually broken (like MPlayer claims), and I only have sound when programs try to use OSS, but flv files don't work with oss...

disciple

#30 Post by disciple »

I just tried in my 2.13 install, and the same FLV files play fine in VLC with OSS or ALSA output selected - although that's not to say that all FLV files will do the same :)

lvds

#31 Post by lvds »

Hi,

1. I have found that the red lines appearings when watching videos with VLC only come in Xvesa video mode for me, when i choose Xorg the problem disappear.
I remember having read somewhere there is a special setup for each Xorg or Xvesa so you have to tell VLC either with command line or with preferences settings in menus which display you use. I guess it is by default on Xorg mode, so when you use it under Xvesa you get "red lines" on screen.

2. Though desperate efforts i have not been able to have quicktime flows with VLC, i always get a black window ; does anyone know how to have quicktime videos in VLC ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

EdFromHouston

#32 Post by EdFromHouston »

lvds wrote:Hi,

2. Though desperate efforts i have not been able to have quicktime flows with VLC, i always get a black window ; does anyone know how to have quicktime videos in VLC ?

Best regards,
Laurent.
I had this problem so I installed the newest FFmpeg discussed here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14213

It helped on some Quicktime videos like these:

http://www.linspire.com/products_linspi ... patibility

lvds

#33 Post by lvds »

...Thanks, i will do it, will i need something more for playing DVD films or FFMPEG does all ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

EdFromHouston

#34 Post by EdFromHouston »

I don't know that much about it other than when I installed the newest FFmpeg it worked better.

I think the thing with VLC is that it doesn't use most codecs but uses the FFmpeg library instead when it can and this new one has a better library.
I guess if it didn't it would be another Mplayer.

I'd try backing up the save file using a live cd and then make changes because if you do it using a hard drive install something may go wrong if you have problems with the new FFmpeg and then I wouldn't be able to help much as I'm no wiz at this stuff.

disciple

#35 Post by disciple »

I get the vertical lines with Xorg :(

evil

VLC streaming

#36 Post by evil »

I have VLC setup on 2 different PCs running Windows. One PC has a webcam connected and I have set this PC to stream from the webcam (capture device) to the other PC running VLC. I can view it and It works great.

HOWEVER: I read on the following link that Direct Streaming is only possible with Windows (and not Linux):
http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-h ... l#id300488

Is this still the case for linux? Has any one tried it with Puppy linux? Is it possible now?

Many thanks for any answers.....

goncal

VTC on Puppy 2.16.1 and 1.5

#37 Post by goncal »

Hello Tempestuous

A big thank you for providing a dotpup for a media player that now lets me use Puppy 2.16.1 on my PIII 1GHZ 256MB RAM living room laptop for Internet TV and listening to BBC Radio and other stations without any problems - gxgine just did not work - I removed 0,1 from run-VTC as you suggested and it works great.

I have not been brave enough to try and install the VideoLAN dotpup on my P4 computer, which has been happily running Puppy 1.5 for some time now (it must be over two years) thanks to you, Rarsa and many other very helpful forum members - I tried upgrading but links and traditional directories were moved or disappeared so I went back to my old v1.5 pup1 file. I even installed a Labtec camera, Mercury, and so on, so that my machine would be as capable as a WinXP PC. (Now the only problem I have is with new Flash versions that I cannot install due to Puppy 1.5's older libraries.)

Will Puppy 1.5 support your VideoLAN dotpup? My fears are, installing it, and then further on finding out there is something else that stopped working.

Thanks once more

Goncal

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

This pup will work on 2.12 and later..I tried on earlier versions but failed miserably.
There is a debian package of the previous version but with little webtv support as it needs windows codecs and the linux vesion cannot use them.

You could try mplayer (108 or unichrome)...only problem I had was the ffmpeg version is buggy and on some soundcards will fail for webtv (sound) formats ...it may be fine for your setup...the workaround is to force the use of the win32 codec eg -ac wmadmo ....confused me at first as on the machine I compiled the live cd it worked 100% but crashed on the machine it was destined for.

As for using a later version puppy could you not save your data then add it to a fresh install ... I find the pup_save update scripts to be a bit hit and miss especially if you have added software....there are major structure differences from series 1 puppies to 2.10

hope this clarifies

mike

disciple

#39 Post by disciple »

Oops, this wasn't supposed to go here :(

goncal

VideoLAN puppy 1.0.5 etc

#40 Post by goncal »

Hello mike

Thank you for your reply. I will stick to gxgine on 1.0.5 then which works OK for most of the time with the extra codecs.

I stick to puppy 1.0.5 as it is a very light distro and has proved to be extremely stable, boots very quickly, etc. I have also installed Mercury, Wine, and many other apps (some of those are actually included in newer Puppies) and since I do not have much time to myself (I manage my wife's Windoze / Mac computer networks, have a daughter, travel for business, etc) I just use it happily.

You are right anyway, I should migrate slowly to newer Puppies whilst using the older one - I can always have two _save files on my VFAT HD.

Having said that I installed puppy 2.16 on an ext2 partition on my PIII 1GHz 256MB laptop and since it does support my USB WiFi card (Thompson ST121 or something) now I use that laptop for watching WebTV in the living room on the bigger TV screen.

Cheers goncal