installed BionicPup64 routinely loses vmlinuz

Booting, installing, newbie
ColinR

installed BionicPup64 routinely loses vmlinuz

#1 Post by ColinR »

I've just installed BionicPup64 on a 1GB USB stick as a temporary fix to get around overheating problems on a Win10 laptop.

I create a 512MB save file, using ext2.

However, every few times I reboot, I'm told that there's an error loading initrd.gz as the file bionicpup64/vmlinuz is not found. Thus, I'm supposed to load the kernel first.

That this doesn't happen every time suggests that I'm correctly installing in the first place - but that something then goes wrong.

Previous posts I've seen on this seem to suggest one-off problems.

Any ideas why this might be recurring, and how to solve it once and for all?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

How did you originally partition and format the USB stick.
Give detailed info!
How many partitions?
What format?

Or, was it already partitioned, with one partition, and formatted fat32?

If a fat 32 format.
Has Windows ever stored data on it before you installed Bionicpup?

Have you run Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates, rebooted and saved, so the new changes are being used?

Tried plugging into a different USB port?

Well, USB flash drives do go bad.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ColinR

#3 Post by ColinR »

thanks @bigpup

Here's my procedure:
1. boot into Puppy Linux from LIVE USB stick
2. Quickpet/Info/BionicPup updates
3. I don't reboot at this point because I'd lose the change
4. it seems that the update, though, updates my "install" option, allowing me to:
5. attach the second USB stick; select "install"/bootflash USB installer, from "this" (the LIVE Puppy) to sdc1 (the new USB stick)
6. once sdc1 has had Puppy installed on it, I reboot from it and then update
7. at some point, I shut down, and am asked about save options. I pick "administrator" and ext2.

I'm not asked how many partitions or what file system to use in step #5. (I think it's vFAT.)

In the past, the memory stick has been formatted in various ways, inc. (I think) NTFS and ext4. I don't know if I've ever used it for Windows data.

I've tried both USB ports as occasionally the stick won't be found in one of them.

Finally, I've been told - when Pup is autosaving during a session - that I don't have enough space and should delete files. I've not yet paid enough attention to this to note how it relates to the missing vmlinuz.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

1. boot into Puppy Linux from LIVE USB stick
2. Quickpet/Info/BionicPup updates
3. I don't reboot at this point because I'd lose the change
If this live USB is Bionicpup64
You need to reboot making a save on it to store these changes, so they are now part of the live USB.
I've tried both USB ports as occasionally the stick won't be found in one of them.
If you are having USB port issues.
That can cause the not finding vmlinuz.
In the past, the memory stick has been formatted in various ways, inc. (I think) NTFS and ext4. I don't know if I've ever used it for Windows data.
Do you know how to use Gparted to partition and format?
I would start over fresh.
Use Gparted to completely delete all partitions on the USB stick.
Make one partition using all un-allocated space.
Format it fat32 and flagg boot.

Now do a fresh new install of Bionicpup64.

Bionicpup64 has menu->Setup-> StickPup-USB stick installer
Could try using it to do the install.

With a 1GB drive and 512MB save. I can see getting messages about auto save, running out of space.

I suggest turning off auto save , so you can choose when to save.
menu->System->Puppy Event Manager->Save Session
Set save interval to zero(0)
Now it will only save at shutdown or if you have one. When you click on the desktop save icon.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

there is a manual method which is fairly easy to do.

boot up the LIVE USB of Bionic
insert target USB stick
start GParted
delete what ever partition is on target USB (#2)
create a partition and format it one of these -> ext2, ext3, ext4
set the boot flag to ON for that partition
create a new directory on #2 (for example "Bionic64")
copy the entire contents EXCLUDING a save file or folder if there is one from USB #1 and place the content in the directory you've created on #2
run Grub4Dos and allow it to only scan the target USB #2
let Grub4Dos run and answer okay to the prompts.
shutdown machine and remove USB #1 and reboot using USB #2

There is also a small alteration of the above process. ON USB #2 first create 2 partitions:
1. FAT32 boot flag on
2 ext2
place the new created Bionic64 directory into the ext2 partition and now run Grub4Dos allowing only the target USB to be scanned and let it see both new partitions.
Grub4Dos will find your Bionic64 and create the correct boot menu to access it.

Hopefully this is clear and helpful....ask any questions if you run into difficulty

Last edited by rockedge on Mon 01 Jun 2020, 02:33, edited 3 times in total.

backi

#6 Post by backi »

What about make/flag USB #2 bootable (Manage Flags) with Gparted ?

enrique

#7 Post by enrique »

Here we have a weird situation.

Now I do not know why all you guys are suggesting to reformat USB Memory.

Here is what I see. overheating problems on a Win10 laptop
Why this happen? Hardware Problem with the FAN? Have you open the laptop and verify that it is not clog?

Now if there is no Hardware problem, this suggest a software problem... Over heating can suggest many things including a Virus!!! That Virus or even Windows 10 Anti Virus program can end up infecting your Puppy files like vmlinuz and the anti virus of windows 10 deleting the vmlinuz...

Listen this is just an Idea I am not saying you have a virus. You can have a memory with bad sectors and many other things.

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

What about make/flag USB #2 bootable (Manage Flags) with Gparted ?
backi you are correct! Good you pointed it out, it is important.

I've added it the above post with the how to details.

@enrique I have a DELL INSPIRON 1505 E laptop that was originally a WIndows 7 machine that I upgraded to Windows 10. It run okay then heats up and gets hot. Starts to slow down to a crawl. All the Puppy's and Dog's run very cool in comparison.
It is worth it to look at a hardware problem as well. enrique's advice is good to check all the possibilities. Hardware does fail.

enrique

#9 Post by enrique »

I see Very OLD PC build for XP but running Win10. I should say no comment. But as we are here to help.

ColinR did not mention what are the Specs of the PC.
But people we can not run Win10 or even new Browsers viewing latest 4K videos on Old PC with Limited CPU resources and Limited Memory.

This like asking a 10 year old kit to do construction work. The poor kid soon will have his Cheeks RED and will soon need to rest.

We do not have to go far. Running Bionic and the latest Browser will make Puppy too to overheat if not fail. Well I do have an old Laptop that would not even boot new kernels for Bionic.

NOW, This is not the main problem for Puppy as I understood. On Puppy he have intermitent issues.
However, every few times I reboot, I'm told that there's an error loading initrd.gz as the file bionicpup64/vmlinuz is not found. Thus, I'm supposed to load the kernel first.
See problem is intermittent.
And I am not sure if I understand correctly. Vmlinuz do execute, but "there's an error loading initrd.gz"

If this where always, I would say he need a new Kernel as this suggest drivers for USB or HDD are failing!! But he seems to claim it is not always but "every few times".

ColinR

#10 Post by ColinR »

I have a guess about why my vmlinuz / kernel gets lost:

I occasionally reboot into Windows to see what I can do before the overheating problem shuts me down. When I did so now, I had kept the Puppy USB stick in; Windows scanned and "repaired" the USB stick. When I tried to boot from the Puppy stick, I got the vmlinuz/kernel error again.

Thus, I'm guessing that the Windows "repair" does the damage.

If so, is there an easy way of fixing this? (I'd rather not lose my pupsave file.)

To answer other questions: the laptop's fairly recent (6th gen Intel core i7); it's still under warranty, so a technician is coming to replace the heat sink, etc.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Make a copy of the old save and put the copy on some other drive, than the USB stick.

I assume you have to use Windows 10 to do the partitioning and formatting of the USB stick.
So, on the USB stick. freshly make one partition and format fat32.
Do a fresh install of Bionicpup64.
Boot Bionicpup64.
No need to do anything, but one thing.
Copy the save back onto the USB stick.
Reboot Bionicpup64.
If asked about making save. SAY NO! You already have a save.
Now you should have a good bootable Bionicpup64, using the old save.

Do not let Windows 10 do any changes to the USB stick anymore.

Also, do not shutdown Windows 10 in hibernation.
This causes boot problems, trying to boot anything, but Windows 10.
Do a full shutdown of Windows 10.
Last edited by bigpup on Tue 02 Jun 2020, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

enrique

#13 Post by enrique »

About hardware.

Since "(6th gen Intel core i7); it's still under warranty", I suggest you just wait for the warranty.

About Puppy.
You as most of people that come here for help do provide very little info. It is hard as many thing can result in similar issues. I give you an example: You maybe you have issues with UEFI? See you have said " I got the vmlinuz/kernel error again" But are the files gone or deleted?

I am not sure but I believe You can grab a UEFI hibrid ISO and Burn the CD, Please do it on a different PC. And even test that the CD is OK by running your new Puppy CDROM on another PC. Then try on that broken PC. Then enable Temp-monitors on Task bar or use conky to watch that Temperature.