Scanning A3 documents - which printer?

Using applications, configuring, problems
greengeek

Scanning A3 documents - which printer?

#1 Post by greengeek »

I would like to scan A3 documents so I am looking for an A3 scanner or an "all-in-one" printer that can scan A3.

Some "A3" printers only have an A4 scanner so they are not suitable.

I don't really need to print in A3 - it is just the scanning function i am looking for.

Has anyone achieved A3 scanning on any puppy? I mostly use Slacko 5.6 but any puppy/printer combo will do as long as it is known to scan A3.

cheers!

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Ian, are these AutoCAD DWG files you're looking to scan?

How about A4 scanning to A3 batch conversion? Convoluted, huh?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

Semme wrote:Ian, are these AutoCAD DWG files you're looking to scan?
No, they are newspapers and hand drawn technical stuff.
How about A4 scanning to A3 batch conversion? Convoluted, huh?
I have an A4 scanner and can scale up as required with MtPaint etc, but some of the stuff I want to scan in one hit is larger than A4 (some of it even bigger than A3 to be honest...) and I am sick of trying to stitch together partial scans done on the A4 scanbed.

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

Thanks for the links Chris - wow, hard to believe a Fujitsu A3 scanner can be worth $14k !!@#%!

Unfortunately the A3 printers in my price range seem to only have A4 scanners so not suitable - and of course if I do find a suitable printer then there is the need to confirm whether or not it is Puppy compatible.

I am starting to think one of the "book scanners" might be worth a look - although maybe even just a camera or cellphone held above the page will suffice if I can solve the fisheye problems inherent in a small lens.

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

Hi Semme, that scanbox idea is so simple and clever. Also lead me to the "ScannerBin" idea shown in pic below.

I tried it in DIY form myself and to be honest it's not a bad option if perfect text clarity is not required. Perfectly suitable for many newspaper articles.

Unfortunately with my smartphone I could not quite get enough font detail as I wanted to do some OCR work so i needed to look for better clarity.

Ended up purchasing a second hand A3 printer with A3 scanbed - a Brother MFC-6510DW inkjet printer.

Not a fan of inkjets - but Brother do very well supporting Linux drivers and what i really needed was scanning more than printing.

Anyway - i also bought a type of continuous ink refill system to make sure it doesn't run out of ink (the bane of all Bother inkjets...) and then stop scanning.

So far so good.

I have attached the scan pet i made for Slacko 5.6 usb connection for the Brother MFC-J6510DW.
(Make savefile backup before using)

Seemed to be necessary to do a Black&Whte scan before doing a colour scan- otherwise the xsane window closes. Don't know why.
Attachments
ScannerBin.jpg
(45.03 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
BoxScanner.jpg
(92.56 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
MFC-J6510_BrScan_b3gg-0.2.pet
Please backup save file before testing any .pets
(90.33 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

p310don

#8 Post by p310don »

android app called "Office Lens" is a great scanner. It's a microsoft product that I learned about when I had a windows phone, which felt dirty using, but was actually a great phone...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_AU