First Puppy Project pointers request. WoofCE, remaster..?

Booting, installing, newbie
bark-woof-fetch

First Puppy Project pointers request. WoofCE, remaster..?

#1 Post by bark-woof-fetch »

I want to Puppy'fy a minimal debian or *buntu and use openbox as WM (with configs and themes from https://crunchbangplusplus.org) and bspwm or i3 as a TWM option alongside.

I'll be switching between diff laptops and netbook and frugal install on at least one of them.

What's the simplest method to get started with?

Am struggling to understand the methods discussed around here:
WoofCE
Firstrib / Weedog
BusterDog / DebianDog
Underdog / Sanderdog chroot

Have only tried Fred's BusterDog builder https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/Re ... erdog.html so far which makes a fine DebianDog from scratch.

snoring_cat in IRC today recommended remastering vs. Woof and mentioned that
The ability to easily change DE/WM is something PuppyLinux kind of lacks. TinyCore and Porteus allow you to load modules on boot up for say JWM, XFCE or Cinnamon.
The relatively beta Corepup is working on that issue, in some aspects
Is it at all possible to puppy up another distro including its DE/WM configs? So you don't have to bother setting up DE/WM and other basic environment.

If not then I'll be asking for help on how to switch DE/WM on a bionicpup (running from USB).

re. remastering a Puppy or DebianDog it seems a bit clumsy to peel off though Virtualbox snapshots could make it sort of easy to save step by step progress without too much repitition.

Quite confused as you may gather, pointers in any direction are appreciated.

Galbi

Re: First Puppy Project pointers request. WoofCE, remaster..?

#2 Post by Galbi »

The ability to easily change DE/WM is something PuppyLinux kind of lacks.
Quite the contrary!!!

In Puppy Linux, once you've installed another WM (trough the PPM), let's say one I like a lot: IceWM, you kill the graphical server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and then with:

Code: Select all

#xwin icewm
the new WM starts.

Replace IceWM, for Fluxbox, i3, dwm etc.

Despite of that, I still prefer DebianDogs, just for the apt-get way of installing apps and resolving dependencies.

I think you have all you need in BusterDog. With apt-get you install another WM, and the changes are are saved in folder named... changes
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi bark-woof-fetch,

I can't give specific advice about your objective. But I thought it best to clear up what may be a misunderstanding. Puppies & 'Dogs' and 'WeeDog' are different genera (not even just different species). And Underdog / Sanderdog chroot (as I understand it) is module which when run from a Puppy enables you to make use of the applications installed into an entirely different operating system.

WeeDog is constructed from the the binaries of Void Linux using a build script named FirstRib. With proper modifications, the FirstRib scripts can also build operating systems using Arch Linux binaries.

All 'Puppies' are built from the binaries created by Major Distros using an application/system known as Woof. There are several variations of the Woof applications available. [In that sense, FatDog is a 'Puppy' except that it uses binaries the FatDog Team compiles using the 'Linux from Scratch' system].

The DebianDogs are true debian operating systems. They begin by employing debian netinstall.

When the build of any application runs under both a Puppy and a DebianDog without modification it's a coincidence. That such coincidences happen frequently is because the applications, themselves, may have been built using the same 'nuts & bolts'. Ubuntu, while maintaining its own repos, often use components also (and originally) found on debian repos. Puppies and debiandogs, consequently, often have the same components for the same applications.

Yes, as far as I know, there's no easy way to change the Window Manager under Puppies. It can be done. You'll find several published on the 'Desktop' Section of the Forum. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=59. But these are labors of love, usually only usable under a specific Puppy Version. [Galbi, who posted while I was typing, corrects this].

It's best to ask about how easy it may be to modify FirstRib so as to end up employing a different Window Manager.

My suggestion is that if you want to develop and use different Window Managers your best bet would be under the DebianDogs. These are true debian systems, accessing debian or Ubuntu repo employing apt & synaptic.

bark-woof-fetch

Re: First Puppy Project pointers request. WoofCE, remaster..?

#4 Post by bark-woof-fetch »

Galbi wrote:
The ability to easily change DE/WM is something PuppyLinux kind of lacks.
Quite the contrary!!!

I think you have all you need in BusterDog. With apt-get you install another WM, and the changes are are saved in folder named... changes
excellent, happy breaking news (and not entirely sure what he meant by that in the chat anyway, maybe he misunderstood me)

My 1st BusterDog is up now after a few crossbreeds that never jumped or walked by themselves. Fred's mklive script is great. The .conf file is straightforward, no need to fire up vagrant or ansible (yet :) maybe worth it for cookbooking .config setup of WM and apps)

BusterDog seems like the perfect mix between SLAX (apt as well plus .sfs like modules, FAT or EXT) and antiX (apt, no compressed modules, all changes saved in one squashed frugal home and/or root pool file on FAT/EXT/NTFS).
Attachments
1smallstepf4man.PNG
(70.1 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

bark-woof-fetch

#5 Post by bark-woof-fetch »

mikeslr wrote: ....My suggestion is that if you want to develop and use different Window Managers your best bet would be under the DebianDogs. These are true debian systems, accessing debian or Ubuntu repo employing apt & synaptic.
Thanks a lot Mike, I really appreciate the write-up and clarification you put into it. Strikes me I should have asked a few days ago already instead of just stumbling around the forum but so be it.

I won't be needing any Puppy or half related beast to develop WMs, just need the freedom to switch around now and then without cluttering / with loads of deps and libs.

If that's not possible by .sfs (as per snoring_cats IRC msg) I'll see how required that usecase is after all. Maybe just switch Dog and use the same frugal files for both and boot per session as needed, no need to 'multitask' between WMs and DEs anyway.