What is 'nox' option really mean?

Booting, installing, newbie
mikprog

What is 'nox' option really mean?

#1 Post by mikprog »

As I used a bunch of Puppy installed in frugal and native mode on several machines I noticed 'nox' boot option have different action to his description.
If 'nox' used on boot than ssh server dropbear will not start and samba server will not start too.
Is it normal 'nox' action? I just want to boot puppy without graphic inerface having all services up

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

"nox" means the X server isn't started. That means /root/Startup doesn't get processed.

If you run an instance without X, use rc.local to start your required services: https://www.simplified.guide/linux/auto ... ia-rclocal

mikprog

#3 Post by mikprog »

"nox" means the X server isn't started.
I know this fact. And this is not answer to the question "why other services not started too?" Really why other services (they are not X server dependent) from /etc/init.d are will not start if 'nox' specified?

Dry Falls

#4 Post by Dry Falls »

Really why other services (they are not X server dependent) from /etc/init.d are will not start if 'nox' specified?
They should be started. In older pups anyway, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit tells the system to start the scripts in etc/init.d. by this time, /etc/profile should have run. The init script stops just prior to running xwin (or startx).

Tell us what system/pup you're running and maybe someone will be able to help further.

df

williams2

#5 Post by williams2 »

All that pfix=nox does is create a file in /tmp named bootcnt.txt

If /tmp/bootcnt.txt exists, then /root/.profile will not run xwin.

Read jafadmin's post.

enrique

#6 Post by enrique »

I think what is missing of the explanation is the following.

We all agree nox = NO X-Server

Then the possible reason as why a particular app may not start may be if that app use GUI or is dependent of another GUI app. Since you have no X-server no GUI app can start.

So you may need to find a version of the particular server you want that is designed to run as server and no GUI.

Hope it helps.
enrique

mikprog

#7 Post by mikprog »

Solved. I found my own old script over every of my puppys that stops init.d processing if nox specified (just like ram option). "Me so stupid! Mmmm. Mmmm" (C) ZZ