[SOLVED] How to make Deadbeef the default audio player?

Booting, installing, newbie
fjd

[SOLVED] How to make Deadbeef the default audio player?

#1 Post by fjd »

Is there a way to make DeaDbeef the default audio player?
Last edited by fjd on Sat 21 Mar 2020, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please post this kind of request for help under the Beginners or Users section.

Open the folder /usr/local/bin.

Right-click on "defaultaudioplayer" and open it in a text editor.

Change the "exec" line to the player you want.

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Ditto rcrsn51.

If, as recommended, you've done a Frugal Install; and, if you shut down without executing a Save, YOU CAN'T BREAK ANYTHING..

Puppy has always sought to be User-Friendly. It's had over a dozen years to respond to User Requests. Assume that if you can think of something which should be easy, someone has already requested it and someone has already implemented it. It just may not be where you expect to find it. Take the time to open every application on the Menu. See what they do.

"Is there a way to make DeaDbeef the default audio player?" Menu>Setup>Default Application Chooser.

Edit:
@ fjd -- Although the above advice is good, I realize it may have come off as 'heavy handed'. Blame it on the following. This is the first thread I read today. The 2nd was your advice to Mike Walsh --that put you in a better light. The 3rd was MochiMoppel's advice regarding Universal File Viewer being along the same lines as mine: explore before posting. Seems some of us are grouchy today. I, at least, should have had breakfast before replying.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mikeslr:-

Mike, I'm 101% certain we all get days like that. Especially the older we get....."grouchy", I think, comes with the territory after a while. I know I get days when all I want to do is growl at everyone & everything..... :lol:

You're in good company, mate! :D

Mike. :wink:

davids45

Set Default Applications (Chooser)

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day Peter,

You can also change or select some default applications via the right-click Menu.

In the Setup menu, click Default Applications Chooser which will offer a window having a range of application types with installed programs likely to do the job in drop-down lists.

I hope Deadbeef is in there in StretchPup under the Multimedia button as well as the '+' for all applications.

Helps to see just how many in-built applications are in Puppies. Extras you install should show up, or if not, just type in the binary, or path to it, for any "missing" program of yours you'd like to pick as default for a particular application category. Unfortunately, Wine-based apps are often complicated to get right, but not impossible :? .

Hope you're having fun :D .

David S.
Attachments
SetDefaultOptions.jpg
should be similar in StretchPup
(130.29 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

You always, always, always need to tell us the exact Puppy version you are using???????
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

fjd

DeaDBeef

#7 Post by fjd »

Hiyall,
We're all grumpy old men, it seems. I come from Linux Mint where the new users seem to start at the rate of 50 a day. The amount of repeat questions is staggering. Whilst I am new, I pitch in where I can.

I spent most of yesterday learning how to use Dpup Stretch 7.5 which is my very first Puppy.

davids45 and I have made physical contact (elbows only) as he lives about a 15-minute drive from me He has been enthusiastic, helpful and reassuring.

I'm getting mixed messages people. One person advised me to post only on Dpup Stretch 7.5 page, others are saying to post in the newbies page. Coming from the very orderly world of Mint, I believe that all users of Dpup Stretch should use that page. Others can be directed to their own OS. I assume each OS has a certain uniqueness otherwise we'd all be on Windows 10!

BTW, thanks for the headsup on DeaDbeef. All good now. :D
2011 ASUS Eee PC, 1011PX, 32-bit, Atom N455, 1667MHz, 2Gb RAM, 240Gb SSD - [color=red] BionicPup 32-bit [/color] frugal + USB stick install

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

I would only use the Dpup Stretch thread if the question/topic is really only Dpup Stretch related. Mostly questions and topics are related and apply to all versions of Puppy.

fjd

#9 Post by fjd »

but how would a newbie know?
2011 ASUS Eee PC, 1011PX, 32-bit, Atom N455, 1667MHz, 2Gb RAM, 240Gb SSD - [color=red] BionicPup 32-bit [/color] frugal + USB stick install

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

In that case I would post in the beginners section until more experienced users suggest otherwise. Our moderator, Flash, also moves threads to other sections sometimes. You will find that this is generally a very friendly forum and regular users show lots of patience and "empathy" with newbies. All of us went through a learning curve (and are still learning).

OscarTalks

#11 Post by OscarTalks »

I am not a Moderator so they may tell you differently, but I think the advice is:-

If you are using DpupStretch and want to attract the attention of other users and developers of that specific Puppy, best to post in the DpupStretch thread, rather than starting new threads in the "Puppy Projects" section for each question that arises.

If you are starting out with Puppy and have general "newbie" questions, best to post a new thread for each issue in the Beginners section of the forum, BUT in this case, always specify the Puppy version and include as much other information as possible. Your forum signature can help with this. Questions in this section are more likely to be seen and answered by more people. Some long-time users still like to post questions in this section.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

nic007 wrote:In that case I would post in the beginners section until more experienced users suggest otherwise. Our moderator, Flash, also moves threads to other sections sometimes. You will find that this is generally a very friendly forum and regular users show lots of patience and "empathy" with newbies. All of us went through a learning curve (and are still learning).
^^^ + 1!! Absolutely have to agree with this. With Linux in general (and Puppy in particular) there's always something new to learn.....no matter how many years you've been using Pup. :)

Never be afraid to ask what may even seem an utterly stupid question. You can pretty much guarantee that somebody, somewhere, will have probably asked the very same thing; we're here because we like chatting about, and helping people with, Puppy. The only thing we ask is a small degree of forum etiquette.....probably no different to the Mint Forums, and most of which is plain common sense anyway.

Be polite & courteous; help where you can, and the "golden rule" - One thread, one subject! It may seem easier to ask everything at once, but trust me, it gets very confusing, very fast.....and it creates a nightmare for anyone trying to track down specific issues in the Forum's 'back-pages'....

Loooong time since I frequented the Mint Forums.....! :lol:

fjd

#13 Post by fjd »

Mike,
Golden Rule: same in Mint and also the same in life. You are preaching to the converted.

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

fjd wrote:Mike,
Golden Rule: same in Mint and also the same in life. You are preaching to the converted.
@ fjd:-

Glad to hear it! It's amazing how many folks don't consider it, though... :roll:

Welcome again to the 'kennels'.