Vivaldi-portable - for 'modern' Puppies

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#21 Post by Mike Walsh »

Right, boys & girls. Now then.....

I've followed watchdog's tutorial above, to the letter. Installed the current 'stable' .deb to DPup Stretch. Modified /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi to add the '--no-sandbox' switch. You must then either start Vivaldi (to create a profile), or create /root/.config/vivaldi, and copy the contents of an existing Vivaldi profile into it.

If you don't have a profile, the update scripts will hang.....because each script writes a small text file to your profile which confirms the upgrade to the browser. If already running, close Vivaldi while you run the update scripts; if you've copied a profile, run them before starting up.

Start Vivaldi.

Go to 'chrome://components', and Widevine shows as up-to-date. Close the tab. Go to NetFlix, sign in, and try to watch something. You'll get the usual 'Can't find Widevine....', etc. Close the tab. Go into 'chrome://components' again, and click on the Widevine 'Check for updates' button. It'll say 'Component not updated' (because it already is), but the act of doing so now means that Vivaldi will see it, because it creates a text file in your profile which tells the browser it's been updated.

Go back to NetFlix again, wash, rinse & repeat. All things being equal, everything should now be working.....

---------------------------------

I'll be releasing the new version of Vivaldi-portable soon, this time using the update scripts, albeit in a slightly different way. With the portable, if you try running the scripts from their normal location inside the /vivaldi directory, it'll overwrite your existing profile & create a new one.....which is rather annoying, 'cos you'll lose all your bookmarks, etc. Don't ask me why this happens; I'm not enough of a 'script-jockey' to fully understand what the script is doing, but I've found a way that'll work with minimal messing around. It just involves running the scripts from an unrelated location, followed by manually re-locating two files.

Stay tuned.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 07 Mar 2020, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

Right, kiddiwinks. Here are the new 'portable' versions of

Vivaldi 2.11.1811.47

Both versions (32- & 64-bit) are now fully functional. We're using the 'update-ffmpeg' & 'update-widevine' scripts, but in a slightly different way.

Attached to this post is a miniscule .pet (just a few kb) that simply installs the two 'updater' scripts, in a directory, in /root for ease of access. To use, do as follows:-

Open your 'portable' Vivaldi directory, and open the 'vivaldi' directory inside. Leave this open.

Now, open a second filer window on /var/opt. Leave this open, too.

Enter /root/Vivaldi-media-updates.

1. First, run the 'update-ffmpeg' script by clicking on it. You'll see a 'vivaldi' directory appear in /var/opt. Open this, and there is 'media-codecs-xxxxxxx' (this version number will change periodically). Leave this window as is for now.

2. Second, run the 'update-widevine' script by clicking on it. A 'WidevineCdm' directory will appear beside the 'media-codecs-xxxxxxx' one.

3. Open the 'lib' directory inside the portable's 'vivaldi' directory. Delete 'libffmpeg'. Open 'media-codecs-xxxxxxx' in /var/opt/vivaldi, and copy the new libffmpeg across in its place.

4. Now, delete the existing 'WidevineCdm' directory in the portable's 'vivaldi' directory. Copy across the 'WidevineCdm' directory from /var/opt/vivaldi in its place.

All done! You can now close all windows.

-------------------------------------------

Remember to go into 'chrome://components'. Down the bottom, it'll tell you the Widevine module is 'new', and up-to-date, but you still need to click on 'Check for updates' to register this fact in your profile, and make the browser aware of it.....even though nothing appears to happen. NetFlix, Spotify, Hulu, Amazon Prime, whatever.....anything that is DRM-controlled should now work.

Somebody who's better at scripting could probably make these scripts install these items into the correct location to start with, without them interfering with anything else. It's a wee bit above my 'pay grade', I'm afraid..! So, I've resorted to a slight 'bodge'... (a-hem!) :oops:

It would be hard to implement anyway, I would think, since it's all going to depend on exactly where the user decides to run their 'portable' from.

-------------------------------------------

Downloads:-

32-bit - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNZ3wf ... sp=sharing

MD5 - 939a878516c2d646204b49861d2de462

Sha256 - 144498de6f606c9c99406d74412f7dcbb9f702a8d70d2e9fec89a4e52bec61cf

64-bit - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LWSmYf ... sp=sharing

MD5 - 29cf01c8f790383d707f4e600c19a6d5

Sha256 - ae5f624712f9bf178f4a9c7cf5e16eb2f0ead254937a56c133ca70394325393e

Mesdames et messieurs.....enjoy.

Attachments
Vivaldi_multimedia_updates-0.1.pet
Media-codecs-updater .pet...
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 28 Mar 2020, 12:24, edited 4 times in total.

jrb

#23 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote: All things being equal, everything should now be working.....
:D Congratulations Mike and thanks to watchdog. Job well done!

Cheers, J

watchdog

#24 Post by watchdog »

I understand that the procedure about the Vivaldi_multimedia_updates is intended only for the 32 bit portable. The 64 bit portable should work as it is without the need of installing the Vivaldi_multimedia_updates. I trust you that I could watch Netflix now even with 32 bit because I have not at the moment an account at Netflix. Thanks.

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

watchdog wrote:I understand that the procedure about the Vivaldi_multimedia_updates is intended only for the 32 bit portable. The 64 bit portable should work as it is without the need of installing the Vivaldi_multimedia_updates. I trust you that I could watch Netflix now even with 32 bit because I have not at the moment an account at Netflix. Thanks.
Watchdog, you're very welcome.

The 64-bit version ought to work in any case, because all I did was to copy the WidevineCDM directory across from the newest Chrome.....rather than relying on that sym-link to /opt/google/chrome. Not everybody has both browsers installed, nor do they want them.....and if you're using the Chrome-portable, it's not occupying the normal locations.

I thought it just made sense to replace the sym-link with the real thing, that's all.

@ jrb:-

Are you happy, mate? Will that do you? :D (Y'know, I only opened a NetFlix a/c in response to a query from somebody else around 4 years ago. Now I can't do without it.....and for the GBP £6 a month for a single 'screen' (one item being streamed at a time), it's hardly breaking the bank.

I just never realised how much decent stuff they had on there..and if Mama and I both watch something together, it goes through my Firestick, plugged into the back of the main TV in the front room. That way, it still counts as a single 'screen', y'see...)

Honestly, the stunts we pull for the sake of 'entertainment', eh?? :lol:

WoodLark

#26 Post by WoodLark »

I tried Vivaldi (64 bit) about a year ago. Once I got used to it, I liked it, However, without any warning (and for no known reason), it suddenly deleted ALL of my saved logins/passwords.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

WoodLark wrote:I tried Vivaldi (64 bit) about a year ago. Once I got used to it, I liked it, However, without any warning (and for no known reason), it suddenly deleted ALL of my saved logins/passwords.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Hm. That's not something I think I've ever experienced with any browser, with the exception of a very flaky version of Internet Exploder - many moons ago! - back when I was just starting out with XP, around 2002/3.

Certainly not with any halfway modern Chromium-based or Mozilla-based browser.....even as far back as the Firefox 17↔25 or Chrome 10↔20 kind of era.

Silly question, perhaps, but are you certain you didn't accidentally delete things by mistake? (I've had absent-minded 'brainstorms' before now and done things that I wasn't really aware I'd done until later.....sometimes, much later as it turns out.)

The 'joys' of growing older....huh. (In addition to which, my short-term memory's getting dreadful. You wouldn't believe the number of notes I write to remind myself of things-to-do, etc.....)

Or, there again, p'raps you would..!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 28 Mar 2020, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

WoodLark

#28 Post by WoodLark »

It could be something I did, although I didn't think so at the time. My memory is probably worse than yours (I'm 78).

WoodLark

#29 Post by WoodLark »

Mike Walsh: I'm going to give your Vivaldi-portable a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike Walsh

#30 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ WoodLark:-
WoodLark wrote:Mike Walsh: I'm going to give your Vivaldi-portable a try. I'll let you know how it goes.
Okey-doke. I await your feedback with interest! Browsers are one of those very 'personal' choices, yet there's such an enormous variety of the things available nowadays that it's rare for most people not to be able to find something they can 'live with'....

WoodLark

#31 Post by WoodLark »

Mike Walsh:

I tried out Vivaldi-portable. The is a lot to like about Vivaldi. However, I encountered one really strange deal breaker.

The UI of Vivaldi is different from what I am used to, but I could accept that. When I installed Vivaldi-portable, it offered to import my setting from Firefox, and appeared to do so without incident. I set Vivaldi up to automatically login to saved sites. However, (this is bizarre) it entered the wrong passwords when I tried to login to some of the saved sites. I have never seen this kind of behavior before, and I have never seen any reports of anyone else having such an experience.

You are correct that browsers are a very personal thing:

I started out many years ago using Netscape, so I am somewhat bias toward Mozilla based browsers.

My personal favorite is Seamonkey. However, the latest versions will not accept some of the plugins that I like to use.

Pale Moon suffers from the same issue, and my bank will not accept logins from Pale Moon even if I try to fool them by changing the user agent..

I tried both Chromium and Chrome, but did not like either one.

In the end, I usually end up returning to Firefox event though I am not particularly fond of the direction the user interface has been going .

Sorry, I just had to vent!

mmmrr

#32 Post by mmmrr »

hello,

google drive says...

Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.

Make sure that you have the correct URL and that the file exists.

wanted to try vivaldi64 portable on precisepup 571

cheers, mm

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

mmmrr wrote:hello,

google drive says...

Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.

Make sure that you have the correct URL and that the file exists.

wanted to try vivaldi64 portable on precisepup 571

cheers, mm
@ mmmrr:-

Sorry about that. I did some re-organising in my Google Drive, and had to reset a number of links. Obviously, this one must have snuck 'under the radar'.....and got 'forgotten'.

All fixed now; you'll find the correct link in post # 1.

-----------------------------------

Hang on, hang on. Precise 571 is a 32-bit Puppy. You can't run 64-bit applications under a 32-bit OS, unless the tech world has drastically changed in ways I'm not aware of...??!?

watchdog

#34 Post by watchdog »

There is a Vivaldi-portable 32 bit:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 54#1052054

It does not start in Precise light 5.7.2 for missing extralibs. I was not able to find a working libatk-bridge-2.0 32 bit for precise.

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

watchdog wrote:There is a Vivaldi-portable 32 bit:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 54#1052054

It does not start in Precise light 5.7.2 for missing extralibs. I was not able to find a working libatk-bridge-2.0 32 bit for precise.
@ watchdog:-

Couple here you could try. I rescued one from my old 571 save-file; the other, a newer version from DPup 'Stretch', where I'm running 32-bit Vivaldi ATM.....

Attachments
lib-atkbridge2-stretch.tar.gz
Lib-atkbridge 2 from Stretch
(67.53 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
lib-atkbridge2-571.tar.gz
Lib-atkbridge 2 from Precise 571
(53.83 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

watchdog

#36 Post by watchdog »

Code: Select all

# cd /mnt/home/Vivaldi-portable_32
# ./LAUNCH
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Vivaldi-portable_32/vivaldi/vivaldi-pup: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: atspi_set_main_context
# 
Bad news. Precise has an old dbus-1 which should be upgraded for Vivaldi to work. I have already tried libatk-bridge-2.0 from Stretch and I had a symbol error about dbus-1. I have tried to compile libatk-bridge-2.0 from source but it requires a later dbus-1.

mmmrr

#37 Post by mmmrr »

oops, hello mike, thanks

checked with grep etc, have 64bit cpu

checked with uname etc have 32bit operating system

remembered that when i was given this computer,
4 or 5 years ago, it was running a 64bit os on an imac.
i'm a long time puppy fan , the mac os did not appeal,
used precise pup 571 on a dvd while trying to find a 64bit
puppy that would boot / run the way i liked. after a while
i realised that the 32bit pup on the dvd was well suited to
me, so i installed it.

i'll take a look at portable 32bit vivaldi and opera.

cheers, mm

jrb

#38 Post by jrb »

watchdog wrote:

# ./LAUNCH
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Vivaldi-portable_32/vivaldi/vivaldi-pup: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: atspi_set_main_context
# 
Bad news. Precise has an old dbus-1 which should be upgraded for Vivaldi to work. I have already tried libatk-bridge-2.0 from Stretch and I had a symbol error about dbus-1. I have tried to compile libatk-bridge-2.0 from source but it requires a later dbus-1.
Hi watchdog, The latest precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso only needs these libs to run Vivaldi, portable or otherwise. I had them linked in from Palemoon when I did the 3rd update and only discovered yesterday. libatk-bridge in Precise-light is from Tahr-605 and requires fewer dependencies than more modern ones.

I am about to post precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4.iso.delta which will update the original ISO and contains everything needed to run Vivaldi (I'm posting from it now with no savefile) and other Chromium based browsers.

Mike Walsh

#39 Post by Mike Walsh »

watchdog wrote:

# ./LAUNCH
# 
Mm-hm. D'you remember back to that version of dbus from Debian Jessie (or was it Wheezy) that you offered me a couple of years ago when I was attempting to get the newer Thunderbird 60 running? Is that one too old?

Here's an 'assortment pack' of libdbus-1's from a few various Pups; your Jessie/Wheezy one, Tahr's, Xenial's, Stretch's, and Slacko 6.3.2. Give 'em a try, see if they're of any use, mate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/184zRZH ... sp=sharing

watchdog

#40 Post by watchdog »

jrb wrote: I am about to post precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4.iso.delta which will update the original ISO and contains everything needed to run Vivaldi (I'm posting from it now with no savefile) and other Chromium based browsers.
I can confirm: precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4 run Vivaldi-portable_32.