Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile       

The time now is Tue 11 Aug 2020, 03:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 34 [507 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2020, 12:55    Post subject:
Subject description: Iron

quirkian2new wrote:
I can't run Iron78 browser, even that portable one from Mike Walsh.

Dont know what libs missing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Posting from Mike's Iron78. Use the attached .pet.

Will do an update to ISO soon.
chrome_libs-0.1.pet
Description  libnspr4.so libplc4.so libplds4.so
pet

Download 
Filename  chrome_libs-0.1.pet 
Filesize  126.36 KB 
Downloaded  100 Time(s) 
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 19:17    Post subject: Update #4  

I've just uploaded precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4.iso.delta - 34Mb - md5sum 76beaa3ac825311d4014fbb658c463e3

If you have Mk2.0 just download the .delta and:
jrb wrote:
Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal. Cool
Whats fixed:
    The three missing libs mentioned in the previous post are included
    MtPaint-Snapshot for screen capture now has an icon in the jwm tray.
sindi

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr 2020, 12:54    Post subject: HP Mini 110 Precise Light 5.7.1 no ethernet wifi or install
Subject description: Cannot find ethernet or wifi and Grub4DOS freezes

2008 (2009?) HP Mini 110 netbook with 1.6GHz CPU, 160GB SATA drive, and 1GB maximum recognizable memory. Came with working Win7 but unusably slow (takes 5-10 sec to load a program or respond to typing a URL). I disabled all the antivirus and everything possible from startup and downloaded oldest Ccleaner and ran it and defragged overnight.

Then attempted to run Precise 5.7.1 Light from flash drive, which works except no network cards are found by Peasywifi or SNS.

I tried to download XP drivers from HP but their website OS chooser goes off the bottom of the 1024x600 page.

Linux Mint supposedly has the drivers.

I shrank sda1, made extended partition and sda5 and copied Precise to it.
(I use 5.7.1 because 5.7.2 had problems such as not printing - 'sleep', and noPAE kernel 3 because it has 1GB RAM).

I tried to configure Grub4DOS and it chose to install to the MBR (sda) but got stuck at the Installing message. I rebooted and it went to Win7.

I was going to simply replace the wifi card but I cannot even install linux.
Where did I go wrong?

The netbook has non-glare screen (albeit extra-wide) and would be nice for playing Youtube news in the kitchen. The latest youtube-viewer PET and SFS work well on other Precise laptops from 2004, 2006 and 2007. The latest Palemoon 28.9.1 prints labels via Paypal (previous one did not so I dragged out this netbook to print with Windows).

Precise installed fine to a Toshiba and an Acer netbook from 2008, but they both stopped working shortly after. (An ebay purchaser managed to update the ACER BIOS and fixed the noboot problem, and the Toshiba intermittently stops recognizing internal or external keyboard and mouse).
jrb

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr 2020, 22:18    Post subject: Re: HP Mini 110 Precise Light 5.7.1 no ethernet wifi or install
Subject description: Cannot find ethernet or wifi and Grub4DOS freezes

sindi wrote:
2008 (2009?) HP Mini 110 netbook with 1.6GHz CPU, 160GB SATA drive, and 1GB maximum recognizable memory. Came with working Win7 but unusably slow (takes 5-10 sec to load a program or respond to typing a URL). I disabled all the antivirus and everything possible from startup and downloaded oldest Ccleaner and ran it and defragged overnight.

Then attempted to run Precise 5.7.1 Light from flash drive, which works except no network cards are found by Peasywifi or SNS.

I tried to download XP drivers from HP but their website OS chooser goes off the bottom of the 1024x600 page.

Linux Mint supposedly has the drivers.

I shrank sda1, made extended partition and sda5 and copied Precise to it.
(I use 5.7.1 because 5.7.2 had problems such as not printing - 'sleep', and noPAE kernel 3 because it has 1GB RAM).

I tried to configure Grub4DOS and it chose to install to the MBR (sda) but got stuck at the Installing message. I rebooted and it went to Win7.

I was going to simply replace the wifi card but I cannot even install linux.
Where did I go wrong?

The netbook has non-glare screen (albeit extra-wide) and would be nice for playing Youtube news in the kitchen. The latest youtube-viewer PET and SFS work well on other Precise laptops from 2004, 2006 and 2007. The latest Palemoon 28.9.1 prints labels via Paypal (previous one did not so I dragged out this netbook to print with Windows).

Precise installed fine to a Toshiba and an Acer netbook from 2008, but they both stopped working shortly after. (An ebay purchaser managed to update the ACER BIOS and fixed the noboot problem, and the Toshiba intermittently stops recognizing internal or external keyboard and mouse).
Where to start? Confused
Here are some hopefully useful links:
How to boot Puppy from USB in HP mini 110 netbook?
Wifi modem driver HP-Mini Netbook running Puppy 4.2.1 needed
Broadcom fix integration into puppy - experiment-8
HP Mini 110-1125RN Reinstall windows 7
EasyBCD 2.4
/EasyBCD /NeoGrub
1) The first thing I would do is change kernels on the boot usb. I know that the b43 wifi card has been a real pain but people have made it work.
2) Next I would reinstall win7 and immediately turn off updates. I know Microsoft tells people updates are essential but in my experience they cause more problems than they cure.
3) I have had very good luck with EasyBCD for dual booting. You install it and set up your linux boot while running Windows. It sets up a menu.lst just like Grub4dos's. A little confusing but after a couple of attempts I got it. Once in place you can modify the menu.lst directly, say while running Puppy from usb. I'll attach a picture.
EasyBCD_menu.lst.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   90.43 KB
 Viewed   1010 Time(s)

EasyBCD_menu.lst.jpg

sindi

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2020, 15:36    Post subject: HP Mini 110 problems continued
Subject description: will try EasyBCD and kernel 4.4

I have no way to reinstall Windows 7 except the non-genuine version and I already turned off automatic updates.
Windows is working properly. No reason to reinstall. It is just absurdly slow.

I will try EasyBCD to dual boot Windows and Precise-Light.

My notes say that Precise-Light has similar problems on the ASUS EEEPC 1000HE (10").
The 4.1 kernel cannot see the ethernet or wifi hardware. Kernel 3.14.56 can see eth0 but not wifi.

Precise Light (5.7.1) will not boot from flash drives with kernel 3.14.56 so I boot it with 4.1.

I have not yet tried with 4.4 (which solved a problem on ASUS 5000M from 2003 with ipw2200).
Maybe that will let grub4dos work.

I got the newer kernels from Xenial 7.06 and 7.5. I needed noPAE 4.4 for the 2003 ASUS.

Racy 5.5 on the ASUS netbook works with both ethernet and wifi.
It may boot from flash drive and let me install Precise files to the HP.

I will get back to these netbooks eventually. Thanks for the ideas.
sindi

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2020, 16:40    Post subject: Tahr works on HP mini 110; grub4dos works  

I had forgotten to make an ext2 partition after shrinking Win7.

Racy and Wary flash drives have bad boot sectors, but Tahr 6.05 booted (3.14.56 kernel).
It reminded me to use gparted to make the ext2 partition. (Precise just froze up.)

SNS found the wifi card but could not connect. Frisbee connected.

Tahr grub4dos found both Tahr and Precise-light (with the Tahr 3.14.56 kernel).

Precise-light booted. While I was setting the time and date, the mouse froze.
(I could still use arrow keys to adjust time).

I have not therefore connected to the router via wifi or ethernet with Precise.
On another laptop changing kernels fixed the freezing mouse problem, which I think was related to wifi.

I will try kernels 4.1 and maybe 4.4. Wifi/ethernet were not found from flash drive 4.1.

I could just use Tahr but it has a save file instead of a directory.

Precise terminal font is not using fbcon.
sindi

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2020, 17:31    Post subject: 19 Precise not usable yet on netbooks  

Kernel 3.14.56 connects to router (frisbee, wifi) but touchpad freezes.
Kernel 4.1 and 4.4 have no ethernet or wifi.

Tahr 6.05 works, with wifi and youtube-viewer. I will use it for Youtube.
HP mini 110 sound is very faint - maybe that is why it was given to us.
gychang

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2020, 11:55    Post subject:  

delete.
sindi

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2020, 12:26    Post subject: Precise works best on Thinkpad T41 from 2003 (noPAE)  

Tahr works on this laptop but SNS and Frisbee did not. Youtube-viewer at 720p was out of sync, with 90% CPU. Precise SNS worked and Youtube was in sync at 720p with 80% CPU. Lupu 2016 also works but not with recent browsers.

Palemoon 5.7.1 works. 5.7.2 does not - e3pi segfaults (I know there is a replacement version), X freezes (it may be related to wifi) and 5.7.2 does not print ('sleep') on any of my laptops (all 2007 or older).
jrb

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2020, 13:00    Post subject: Re: Precise works best on Thinkpad T41 from 2003 (noPAE)  

sindi wrote:
Tahr works on this laptop but SNS and Frisbee did not. Youtube-viewer at 720p was out of sync, with 90% CPU. Precise SNS worked and Youtube was in sync at 720p with 80% CPU. Lupu 2016 also works but not with recent browsers.

Palemoon 5.7.1 works. 5.7.2 does not - e3pi segfaults (I know there is a replacement version), X freezes (it may be related to wifi) and 5.7.2 does not print ('sleep') on any of my laptops (all 2007 or older).
You should give Quirky7-light 32bit a try. If it runs it may require a bit more setup but it will run all current browsers. All the tahr packages I have tried have worked so far.
sindi

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2020, 19:43    Post subject: quirky7-light where Precise does not work  

I took a quick look at Quirky7 and I think it is aimed at newer computers than mine.
Quirky 6 (2014) may be a better option, with kernel 3.16. Newer than all my hardware.

Precise has so far worked with all my laptops 2003-2010 (I prefer the 2003-6 for their matte and non-wide screens) except
for two netbooks, which can use Tahr. Almost none of these has UEFI boot, or more than 2GB RAM. Most have 512MB RAM (in
an ASUS M5000 proprietary). I see no need for 64-bit kernel or programs for email, browsing, and Youtube viewing.

The 2003-4 laptops are no-PAE and mostly have 855GM or similar video, which is a challege for lupu, racy and wary and
sometimes also for Tahr. So far they all work with the latest Pale Moon and youtube-viewer package (CDE).

Tahr calls for more RAM but I can kill lots of unused processes and use it anyway.

I do not know why on my HP netbook Tahr works and Precise does not, with identical kernels.

A 2005 or 2006 DELL B130 works with DebianDog Jessie (though it will not save bookmarks) but has various problems with all
Puppy linuxes that I tried - video, wifi. Intel 900 graphics, DELL 1470 wireless. Lynx won't work but elinks will.
Precise also failed.
sindi

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2020, 10:56    Post subject: quirky-142-BABY 2006 HP dv5000
Subject description: Works with youtube-viewer but recent Pale Moon and Firefox need libs

Quirky 1.42 with 2011 kernel 2.6.32.28 plays youtube videos with the youtube-viewer PET 3.7.4 at 360p, or at higher resolution with audio and video out of sync and 93% CPU usage, on a 2006 HP dv6000.

Pale Moon 28.9.1 (and other 28's) needs libdbus-glib-1-so.2, libdbus-1-so.3, liblgpllibs.so and libmozsqlite3.so. Firefox68 ESR also needs libatomic.so.1, libmozgtk.so, and libmozwayland.so. Lynx 28.9 needs libtinfo.so.5. Is there a package containing these?

I may try borrowing them from Precise 5.7.1

Wifi worked perfectly (b43, SNS or Network Wizard) as did sound. Comes with Abiword.
Page 34 of 34 [507 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: