Puppy, My First GNU/Linux Experience, So Amazing!

Promote Puppy !
albertox

Puppy, My First GNU/Linux Experience, So Amazing!

#1 Post by albertox »

Hi all,

Until two weeks ago, my only practical knowledge of GNU/Linux other than Android was limited to just a few virtual machine trials of some of the big name distros like Ubuntu, Mint, CentOS, and a few others. Actually, they are great and have many advantages over my long time current platform Windows, but I really didn’t have much enthusiasm or a compelling reason to leave my Windows comfort zone and start learning a completely different OS.

Well, that was until I met Puppy, and I’m so glad I did. At first, because of the name, logo and size, I erroneously imagined it would be a funny distro suitable for my children :) so out of curiosity I gave it a try. I started with Xenialpup, and oh boy! Was I in for a surprise? Frankly speaking, it’s not very impressive at first sight because of appearance. The desktop is cluttered with many unnecessary icons, the start menu sub-items are not well organized, and many have somehow annoying very long and even difficult to read names. I really think some serious makeover is needed here.

But shortly after, as I was going through the initial guided setup, I started falling in love with it. Not only it was setting up, but also explaining important things to the newcomer in a simple language. The speed and responsiveness are immediately noticeable as well as the abundance of apps and tools, which in spite of Puppy’s incredibly small size gives a reasonable quality out of the box experience.

Quickpet was of great help too, and there was always plenty of helpful tips and explanations particularly in critical areas in System and Setup. The auto-started step by step save-file procedure at shutdown was second to none. It’s so well explained, it made me realize that Puppy is actually teaching me the most important things a GNU/Linux user needs to know in a simple practical manner. It actually made me go back and restart Puppy and start installing additional software and making changes to my liking.

I became hooked, and spent all my free time during the past two weeks on Puppy. I have a bunch of old 500MB and smaller USB sticks and SD cards just lying in the bottom of my drawer, and all of a sudden they became useful again. Puppy is just perfect! There is a Pup suitable for each one of them, Tahrpup, Slacko, Xenialpup, Bionicpup, and even Slacko 5.3.3, the highest Puppy version that could fit on an ancient 120MB SD card :)

I think Puppy is the perfect place not only for GNU/Linux starters, but also for experienced users. It’s simple enough for the beginner yet packed with powerful tools and features for the advanced user. Although this is my first GNU/Linux experience, I was able to do all the various installations and setup without having to ask any questions. Naturally, there were some issues but I could always find all the help I needed on the website and wiki, in Puppy itself and in the forum.

I have really enjoyed the ride, and learnt quite a lot in the process, and for that I’m very grateful to Puppy’s developers, community members who provided help topics and answers to the various questions in the forum, and to those who asked them. I can’t possibly list all the names, but among others, I was particularly helped by posts and works of Mike Walsh and OscarTalks.

Thank you so much everybody for all your great work. You guys are awesome!
Last edited by albertox on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

Terry H

#2 Post by Terry H »

Welcome to the forum albertox, nice to know someone with little linux experience has found it so easy to get started. Seems like you're well and truly hooked with having tested all those versions so far.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

We are Puppy!
Resistance is futile!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

Welcome to the forum, albertox! :D
I have never before had a PC with Windows installed, I have used Linux for almost 20 years, and Mac before that. I was recently given an old laptop, and decided to keep the Windows 10 that was installed on it (more than 12 gigs??), at least for the time being. There is a program named Lick, which provide a multi-boot option on startup. You get the option to boot Windows, or one of many Puppys, see this thread: Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released. A reboot and startup takes only seconds, and gives an opportunity to very quickly check out differences between the Puppys, or just for keeping a Windows version, for the few times you need it
I installed Lick only a few days ago, and have installed several Puppys to find an update to my old Ubuntu Lucid based Puppy, my favorite so far is Dpup Stretch-7.5, based on the latest stable version 9 from Debian, see: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112125. But there are still many other Puppys to test. :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Puppyt

#5 Post by Puppyt »

Thank you, albertox, for taking the time to give such thoughtful feedback on your experiences in Puppy Linux. It's a great read, cheers! Reminded me of my similar revelatory experience, back in the day. I am sure Mike and OscarTalks will be chuffed to read that they have been notable help for you, as you followed the various trails of breadcrumbs through the forum to solve your issues.
I am afraid that you have now been "bitten". Stay out of the light of full moons now, lest ye start baying at the sight of discarded/"obsolete" hardware like the rest of us demented souls ;)

P.S. Check out the localities of your first-responders - Canada, South Carolina, Norway, Australia. It's a global contagion. Good Luck with the rest of your journeys in Puppydom, too, perhaps alongside us happy travelers.

+1 Dpup Stretch from radky, too - radky has made loads of inroads into streamlining desktop presentation and behind-the-curtains access for Puppy in recent years, before branching out with his own take on the Puppy lineage. I think he might have addressed a lot of your points regarding the lesser highlights of the Puppy layout you encountered.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

albertox

#6 Post by albertox »

Thank you all for your replies and welcoming me to the forum. I’m very happy to be here.

@bigpup
I really like your siggy. I remember seeing it during my forum searches, and I was amused by it. In fact, the first line used to come to my mind a lot whenever I struggled to find answers, and you’re right, sometimes indirect hints were the ones that helped me solve problems.

I wish I had noticed YaPI sooner, as I couldn’t use Puppy’s universal installer to install another Puppy’s ISO, and I was always going back to Windows to use my all time favorite ISO installer Rufus, which is in my opinion the best by far ISO installer on Windows. I’ll surely give Yapi a try on my next Puppy install. Does it work only for Puppy or other GNU/Linux distros as well?

@tallboy
Many thanks for your suggestions. LICK seems very useful. I have downloaded it and Dpup Stretch-7.5 and I think I will give them a try soon. Looks like my plans for the weekend have been set :D

BTW, sorry off topic, you say your laptop has Windows 10 installed in just 12GB! I think something is not right here. The absolute minimum space required just to barely run even 32 bit Windows 10 alone without any additional software or special drivers is probably no less than 15GB, and this doesn’t include any of the additional space required for paging file (swap), hibernation file (2-3GB) or updates.

@Puppyt
I’m afraid this is exactly what's happened, and I’m already beginning to feel the transformation :D

I’ve bookmarked your search links and I will try them for my next searches in the forum. I hope they will be better than the forum search. Funny, I used to get better search results from google than the forum search. You mentioned that others TBA, is it possible to make a search inside a thread only? I didn't find this option here, and it would be great if this can be done. I’ve seen this in the Android xda developers forum, and it is very helpful when searching certain keywords inside threads with a large number of pages.
Last edited by albertox on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

You guys are awesome!
We iz?

The learning of Linux through support from HH Barry Kauler and Team Puppy gave me the confidence to do astounding things, such as burst the Windows addiction ...

Long Live Puppy. Welcome and keep learning.
Puppy School needs new teachers. Learn and update ...
http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 04 May 2019, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

albertox wrote:BTW, sorry off topic, you say your laptop has Windows 10 installed in just 12GB! I think something is not right here. The absolute minimum space required just to barely run even 32 bit Windows 10 alone without any additional software or special drivers is probably no less than 15GB, and this doesn’t include any of the additional space required for paging file (swap), hibernation file (2-3GB) or updates.
I am not familiar with Windows at all, so I probably didn't get the size correct. But seen from a 231Mb Puppy, it is scary stuff anyway! :lol:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

6502coder

#9 Post by 6502coder »

albertox wrote:...is it possible to make a search inside a thread only?
Go to the first page of the thread. Go to your browser's address bar, where it shows the URL of the current page, and append "&ppage=1500" to end of the URL. Let the page reload: when it is done, you will have the entire thread on one page. Then you can use F3 to do a search. (credit to MochiMoppel for this tip)

albertox

#10 Post by albertox »

6502coder wrote: Go to the first page of the thread. Go to your browser's address bar, where it shows the URL of the current page, and append "&ppage=1500" to end of the URL. Let the page reload: when it is done, you will have the entire thread on one page. Then you can use F3 to do a search. (credit to MochiMoppel for this tip)
WOW! thank you so much for this tip. You're a life saver.

I just tried it on a thread with more than 70 pages and it works great. I thought it would take ages to load, but it took only few seconds. This tip should be placed on the forum index page, or at least on the search page. It would save many people a lot of time.

albertox

#11 Post by albertox »

Thank you very much for the Puppy School link. It's so informative and clear. I only read the first section "Linux for Absolute Beginners" and followed some of the links contained in it. This alone has given me so much information and cleared all the confusions I've had so far.

I can't imagine what will happen when I'm done reading the whole thing! Probably I will start my own puplet :wink:

Long Live Puppy,
cheers

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

Probably I will start my own puplet
Look forward to it. :D

You have to learn to bark before you run. Walking we are not so good at . . . Puppy is fast ... 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ albertox:-

Re: Search engines

There's this one, too. I don't know who actually set this one up originally, but watchdog put me onto it (I think). It's a Google Custom Search specifically set-up for Puppy-related stuff, with search priority given to this forum first.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0

Well worth bookmarking. Makes searching Murga-Linux easy-peasy.

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#14 Post by rockedge »

Hello Mike,

here is url to check out the little html script I set up using this same custom google search that the link you provided generates.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115721

or over the web -> https://rockedge.org/psearch/

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Ecosia - trees for Puppys

#15 Post by Lobster »

We can search it all ...
Thanks rockedge
Have added it here
http://wikka.puppylinux.com/PuppyLinuxS ... 2#comments

Any chance of doing one using Ecosia (more secure) comes with trees? Puppys need trees.
https://www.ecosia.org/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

rockedge

#16 Post by rockedge »

Hello Lobster

I just looked over Ecosia and wow! pretty neat stuff..

I will look it over and see how to build a custom search that does the same focused searches through Puppy Linux forums and then make the html web page to use it.

There is a chance it is not possible if Ecosia is itself a custom search of a bigger engine like Bing...but we will see