How to install Puppy as the only OS on hard disk?

Booting, installing, newbie
mwelbourne

#31 Post by mwelbourne »

Has this done a Frugal install then?

ITSMERSH

#32 Post by ITSMERSH »

Ok, this looks good.

I want you to edit the menu.lst now.

Duplicate that entry:

title Puppy xenialpup 7.5 (sda2/Xenial75)
uuid 08ed6c75-9bc2-497b-bf31-641ab6f74209
kernel /Xenial75/vmlinuz psubdir=Xenial75 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /Xenial75/initrd.gz

In the duplicate make the bold marked change:

title Puppy xenialpup 7.5 RAM only (sda2/Xenial75)
uuid 08ed6c75-9bc2-497b-bf31-641ab6f74209
kernel /Xenial75/vmlinuz psubdir=Xenial75 pmedia=atahd pfix=ram
initrd /Xenial75/initrd.gz

Store the menu.lst.

Try rebooting.

I'll explain that change after you'd successfully rebooted.

Edit:

Yes, this is a frugal install.

mwelbourne

#33 Post by mwelbourne »

OK. Rebooting :D :D :D

mwelbourne

#34 Post by mwelbourne »

I powered off, took out the USB, powered back up and I'm back on. Yeay :D

So, I assume Puppy will now remember language, location, keyboard and wifi key every time now.

ITSMERSH

#35 Post by ITSMERSH »

Ok, so you are running Xenial booted from internal HD?

Good.

Probably you had done this already on the usb flash drive...

When rebooting/shutdown you'll be asked to create a save file / save folder. I would recommend to choose save folder, so there's only the 36GB limit for savings.

The pfix=ram let's you boot without to use the save folder, just as if you would have made a new install. Then you could e.g. create a new save file / save folder at reboot, to have e.g. two different saves for two different users / purposes / what ever.

Try reboot and creating the save folder...

mwelbourne

#36 Post by mwelbourne »

OK, this is another bit of Puppy I wasn't clear about - this saving when you close. I've always said 'no' so far. I should be able to figure it out though.

This laptop is a Dell Inspiron from 2004 with a 1.3ghz Celeron M and 1GB of memory. Puppy has bought it back to life. I bought it for my parents to learn how to use the internet but they never really used it much.

I've also got an old Packard Bell with an AMD Athlon XP-M. That one didn't have an option in the BIOS to boot from a USB, but now I have the .iso on a CD I can give it a try on that one as well (not tonight though)

Thanks so much for all your help this evening, you are a very nice person and you time and patience has been greatly appreciated :D :D :D

mwelbourne

#37 Post by mwelbourne »

Hmmm. No, I don't get the save thing. Should a named version of Xenial appear in the Grub boot menu. It's asking for my country etc again

ITSMERSH

#38 Post by ITSMERSH »

There's no option to choose to create a save file / save folder at reboot / shutdown?

That's weird.

Try reboot using the pfix=ram boot menu entry and then try to reboot again to see if the save option appears.

ITSMERSH

#39 Post by ITSMERSH »

title Puppy xenialpup 7.5 (sda2/Xenial75)
Can you tell me what's on sda1?

ITSMERSH

#40 Post by ITSMERSH »

I've also got an old Packard Bell with an AMD Athlon XP-M. That one didn't have an option in the BIOS to boot from a USB, but now I have the .iso on a CD I can give it a try on that one as well (not tonight though)
Ok, time to go to sleep. I will look at this topic tomorrow again.

I can offer a .iso file of Plop boot manager. With Plop boot manager one can boot from CD and then choose to boot either from HD, USB flash etc.pp. which is provided options of Plop boot manager.

But I'm sure, you will manage to install Puppy to its HD as well by now.

So, just a small additional info:

let's assume you want to try or to install another Puppy to the 36GB partition. Let's also assume it will be Tahr Puppy 6.0.6.

Just create again a folder e.g. Tahr606, click the downloaded .iso file so you will have a new opened window offering the content of the .iso.

Copy the files over into the Tahr606 directory.

Edit the menu.lst. Duplcate those entries from Xenial and change the Xenial75 to Tahr606 within the duplicated entries. Save the menu.lst.

Now you should be able to boot two different Puppies from this single HD.

That way I have six different Puppies to boot from internal HD plus 33 different Puppies from USB HD. Plus four USB flash drives with at least two different Puppies to boot from.

Just a mean additional info:

Now, that you are using Puppy, let me tell to you that you are now using the very best GNU/Linux Operating System available! Trust me, I'm a Puppy user since 2009, joined the forum 2011 (RSH, LazY Puppy) and am using Puppy exclusively on all my machines. I had a XP machine still available, though still using Puppy on this machine.

If you would click my signature you'll find my Youtube channel. All those videos presented on my channel are created in Puppy Linux. All the Music was composed/recorded in Puppy Linux.

Exception is the Helix Research Out house Live video. Its audio tracks was recorded 24 tracks using Ardour 5 under Windows and mixed down using Ardour 5 under BionicDog.

I won't miss my Puppies (published a few and using my own creations now) and I don't want to use any other operating system anymore. I'm addicted to Puppy as I'm totally convinced of it - or is it revers? :wink: :lol:

And besides you are now using the best OS ever, you are also a member of the best forum/community ever! :D

mwelbourne

#41 Post by mwelbourne »

Update: Booted the laptop up yesterday morning and it asked me to load my save. I actually have two saves because it didn't work the first time, so when I closed the next time it asked me to save it said there was already a save file with that name so I have 'michael' and 'michael-1'. I'm sure I can just delete the -1 file

foxpup

#42 Post by foxpup »

mwelbourne wrote:Update: Booted the laptop up yesterday morning and it asked me to load my save. I actually have two saves because it didn't work the first time, so when I closed the next time it asked me to save it said there was already a save file with that name so I have 'michael' and 'michael-1'. I'm sure I can just delete the -1 file
Do you not choose one of the 2 pupsaves when it asks you to choose at startup?
It will give you also the choice to startup without any pupsave (in RAM); if you choose that, Puppy will ask if you want a new pupsave to save your session.
If you choose 1 of the available pupsaves, you can delete the others if you don't want them anymore. On shutdown your session will be added to the chosen pupsave
(if you want, it is also possible to set Puppy to ask if you want to save the session).
If Puppy only finds 1 pupsave it will use it without asking anything (unless you boot with pfix=ram).

mwelbourne

#43 Post by mwelbourne »

Deleting the -1 file didn't do what I expected. It was asking me to agree to delete all the files within that save. I spent ages clicking OK but I wasn't sure how much longer it would take so I canceled.

As for the Packard Bell, it didn't seem to want to boot from the CD, but I think it's because I haven't done the CD correctly. I don't think copying the .iso onto the disk is correct?? I used Rufus to do the USB stick so there's obviously more to it then just sticking the .iso on the USB.

What do I do with the .iso to make a bootable CD?

ITSMERSH

#44 Post by ITSMERSH »

What do I do with the .iso to make a bootable CD?
Just burn it onto a CD.

Though, not as a file!

Use option to burn .iso (ISO)

In Puppy there is pBurn to do that.
Deleting the -1 file didn't do what I expected. It was asking me to agree to delete all the files within that save. I spent ages clicking OK but I wasn't sure how much longer it would take so I canceled.
I'm not in Xenial Puppy, though I think it has JWM window manager and ROX file manager. When deleting there's a checkbox plus a button titled Still (in German language, don't know the EN title). They are on the lower right corner. So, just click that Still button.

It should remove the directory in complete without to ask again and again.

foxpup

#45 Post by foxpup »

ITSMERSH wrote:When deleting there's a checkbox plus a button titled Still (in German language, don't know the EN title). They are on the lower right corner. So, just click that Still button.

It should remove the directory in complete without to ask again and again.
In english it is Quiet.

mwelbourne

#46 Post by mwelbourne »

I can't seem to put the .iso onto a CD so that it works. Can someone please confirm that burning a boot disc is not the same as simply copying the .iso onto the disc? I'm getting very muddled with all this at the mo. Thanks

mwelbourne

#47 Post by mwelbourne »

Right. forget that last request. I've made a bootable CD and I've got Xenial running on the Packard Bell. However, the Pale Moon browser will not open. When I click on the Palemoon updater it says that Pale Moon requires a processor that supports SSE2 instruction.

I've tried installing Firefox and that won't open either. Is that because Firefox need SSE2 as well?

Bernhardiner

#48 Post by Bernhardiner »

ok, deleted

ITSMERSH

#49 Post by ITSMERSH »

The processor Athon XP-M in the Packard Bell seems to be build from 2001 to 2005. Probably Xenial and its kernel, browser etc. is just too new?

Trying Tahr Puppy also by 666philb or a version of the massively updated Lucid Puppy by rerwin will fit?

Since you had successfully installed to internal HD and successfully burnt a .iso to a bootable CD, you might be able to try the above mentioned Puppies?

Just a suggestion...

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mwelbourne:-

RSH has got the right idea for your situation.

If the Packard Bell is running an Athlon XP-M, you've either got the 'Thoroughbred' or 'Barton' cores. Both of these only had SSE instructions; current Palemoon, as downloaded from the Palemoon site, is compiled to need an SSE2-capable CPU. SSE2 is pretty much the required minimum for the majority of modern web browsers.

As things stand, in my estimation, Xenialpup is asking a bit much for that old girl. Our general recommendation is usually to try the newest Puppies first, then if that proves too much for your hardware, to work backwards until you find one that will work OK with it.

Personally, I feel that the next older one, Tahrpup, may also prove a bit much. It's a brilliant Puppy, no doubt about it, but my old Dell lappie - an Inspiron 1100, from 2002, with an SSE2-equipped Pentium 4, did 'struggle' a bit with it. My recommendation would be to try 'old faithful', Precise 5.7.1. This is fast becoming accepted by the community as being the recognised 'standard' for hardware of that vintage. It's what I run now in the Dell lappie.....and it works great.

Lucid may also be worth a try. I'd recommend you try the 'Sulu-002' variant.

You can find the Precise 571 ISO here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/

.....and the main thread for Lucid can be found here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Follow the links for downloads from Richard's MediaFire a/c.

If you have a need for older drivers, such as for modems & the like, try Precise-5.7.1-retro; it's built with an older kernel. Otherwise, standard 571 should work fine.

Precise & Lucid should both install in exactly the same way as Xenialpup did.....sounds like you're now getting the hang of things..!

-------------------------------------

As for a version of Palemoon that will work with your CPU, you're in luck; we've got you covered there, as well. Forum member watchdog has put together a number of Palemoon packages, compiled for SSE-only CPUs, and incorporating a built-in glibc 'upgrade', too. You can find that here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#973676

Scroll down to the bottom of the post to find the newest version, 27.9.4. If that should prove too much, perhaps try one of the earlier versions? (Forum member keniv has reported success with 27.9.4; he runs a Pentium III - also with SSEs only - it was the Athlon's main contemporary at the time of release.)

If you decide to try this route (which I feel would work better for you), let us know how you get on, please?

Mike. :wink: