Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#901 Post by bigpup »

Tell us what you did.
It may help others.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

paulh177

unable to run this pup

#902 Post by paulh177 »

I haven't read all 61 pages of the thread, so maybe this has already cropped up, but I've got big problems with this release on my usual machine.

First off, the boot is extraordinarily slow - it takes about 6-8 minutes to get from grub to a fully loaded desktop; It "pauses" at loading kernel modules and then again trying to run X for minutes each.

The fan runs at full speed at all times, and not surprisingly as udevd seems to grab the processor(s) and hang on like grim death - see attached screenshot.

Note that this machine can run Tahr and Xenial in both 32 & 64 bit variants with no problems, and Bionic in 32 bit is fine too.

Hardware:

Dell Inspiron 1545
4GB
Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
Display: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
Wireless: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01) ( Kernel Driver: b43-pci-bridge)

So, basically this is unusable for me at the moment, and I really need a late Ubu Puppy in 64bit for some stuff I'm doing at the moment
:cry:
Attachments
badbio.png
(86.73 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

bigpup

#903 Post by bigpup »

I would start by doing a fresh clean new download of the Bionicpup64 8.0 iso.
Make sure you do not download to a fragmented file system. ntfs, fat32 that has not been De-fragged.

A fresh new install to a fresh newly formatted partition on the install device.
YaPI(any iso installer)

paulh177

#904 Post by paulh177 »

bigpup wrote:I would start by doing a fresh clean new download of the Bionicpup64 8.0 iso.
Make sure you do not download to a fragmented file system. ntfs, fat32 that has not been De-fragged.

A fresh new install to a fresh newly formatted partition on the install device.
"Scorched earth" is a poor first step in resolving an issue that prima facie is an operating system problem. It kind of belongs to the 1980s (when disks often really did go bad in curious ways), and anyway doesn't address the possibility that other systems may exist already on the target hardware (which, in this case, they do).

Fortunately, rather than rushing in where fools fear to tread, I sat and thought a bit more about what to do, and instead booted the damn thing up again.

Then I looked at the system logs to see what they might reveal, and once I'd seen them, installed (from the same .iso) Bionic64 on a different machine.

The logs told me that there is a failure to find a suitable driver for the Broadcom 43x wireless card in the Dell, and that suggested a good further test would be to run it up on a machine with a different wireless card; and indeed, it booted perfectly.

So, the issue here is really that there's a very ungraceful handling of a problem with a driver module; Now all I have to do is track down a suitable B43x driver and I should be able to proceed.

No formatting, no reformattiing, no repartitioning, no concerns about NTFS or FAT, or fragmentation or other red herrings :D

bigpup

#905 Post by bigpup »

Think what you want.
But I have seen many problems like you describe, fixed by a new clean install.

I find it hard to believe, that a wireless device driver, is the problem, just getting a good boot.

Explain why I get a normal fast boot when there is no driver for a specific wireless device.
The device just does not get detected.
The boot up is still normal.

If the same exact install of Bionicpup64 8.0, booted on another device, with no problem.
Sure, the install is probably not bad.

So, something is wrong with the bad computer reading what is in the Bionicpup64 install.

Is this on a CD/DVD?
A USB flash drive?

CD/DVD drives can have all kinds of problems reading disks.
YaPI(any iso installer)

westwest

keyboard woes

#906 Post by westwest »

I've been trying to fix the keyboard and mouse settings issue in BionicPup64,
where those settings in the Wizard are periodically lost.
Having similar problems with other pups (xslackoslim notably), usually irremediable.

But after much fiddling around, installing xserver-xorg drivers for keyboard and mouse from the PPM and playing with xorg.conf,
I ended up plopping in the xorg.conf file from StretchPup in BionicPup64.

All is now well, keyboard and mouse settings stick accross reboots, and in between also.

bigpup

#907 Post by bigpup »

What is different between the two xorg.conf files?
YaPI(any iso installer)

westwest

xorg

#908 Post by westwest »

That falls beyond the scope of my modest expertise.
I could not modify the original xorg.conf to properly load the new drivers,
which i only installed following Phil's advice.

One other issue is bluetooth, i don't know if it got solved.
There was a two minute lag at boot that i fixed by disabling bluetooth in the bios.

trlkly

#909 Post by trlkly »

Am I not seeing something, or is the Puppy Font Manager not in the menus? I was able to open it by terminal (once I looked up the name), but I couldn't find it in the menu anywhere.

I find it quite useful. I can bump up the font DPI to 120, which is much better on my monitor.

I could have sworn it was always in under the same menu item as the Font Viewer, which is under Desktop. Those two kinda go together: you can install fonts with the Font Manager, and then view them in the Font Viewer.

I think it would be good to add the Font Manager into the menus, since it is installed. (Yes, I know how to do it myself, but I mean on the official release.)

Apologies if this has already been asked: I didn't see a way to search the thread.

fishmanluvslinux

My BionicPup64

#910 Post by fishmanluvslinux »

Here is my desktop thus far as I experiment. Thumbs up to PeeBee & Co.
I love green so this is what I have.

bigpup

#911 Post by bigpup »

The font manager is in the JWMDesk Manager
menu>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager>Screen Font

The font viewer has access in the font manager (view installed fonts button) or menu>Desktop>
YaPI(any iso installer)

ozsouth

#912 Post by ozsouth »

I've made a Zombieload mitigated 4.19.44 kernel for Bionicpup64.
See: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 23#1028623

Mike Walsh

#913 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ fishmanluvslinux:-

A word of advice to the less knowledgeable.

Please don't post such wide, high-resolution images in future. For those of us viewing the forum on older, lower-resolution monitors, it means lots of sideways scrolling simply to view the item. On top of which, it then distorts the rest of that particular page to the same degree, so that sideways scrolling becomes necessary just to be able to read any of the messages on that page.....

It's not necessary to show everybody your desktop in all its enormous, full-size glory! :roll: :)

Could you limit the width of future images to around 650-700 px wide, please? Thanks.

Mike. :wink:

charlie6

jwm buttons themes customised «BuntuMac»

#914 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
and again thanks to 666philb for this BionicPup64 8
Attached a pet to get an extra jwm buttons theme called "BuntuMac"; made on this distro. (only have coloured the grey buttons.)
Enjoy
ps: did not find which jwms thread to place this post as there are so many now; so I leave it here.
Enjoy and Best regards
Charlie
Attachments
jwm_gnome_buttons-BuntuMac.pet
(8.64 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
term(1).png
Yeah!... bluetooth icon present on this shot....but not yet working =-/ ...won't connect!
(16.34 KiB) Downloaded 807 times

charlie6

#915 Post by charlie6 »

Hi paulh177,
paulh177 wrote:...Now all I have to do is track down a suitable B43x driver and I should be able to proceed.
Here got also no wireless connection due to B43 driver missing (here running BionicPup64 8 on an HP2530p laptop).
I meanwhile could connect to ethernet via a cable; and aftrwds got the wireless connection after having installed the «broadcom_sta-6.30.223.271_k4.19.23_amd.pet» wl drivers pet suggested in the Quickpet/Driver section (click on the Quickpet Desktop icon ). It worked here OOTB =-) !
I also added «intel_iommu=off» to the kernel boot parameters as explained here by forum member 666philb: (just follow the many links given by the authors!)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 991#972799
and here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 991#972804

menu.lst syntax should look like (here example for xenialpup64 frugal session on hd0,3)

Code: Select all

title Puppy Linux XENIALPUP64_7.0.8.6 frugal in sda4 dir xen64
  root (hd0,3)
  kernel /xen64/vmlinuz psubdir=xen64 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck intel_iommu=off
  initrd /xen64/initrd.gz
HTH
Charlie

last edited:
1. after testing, intel_iommu=off addition is not necessary;
2. after bootup, it takes a long time to get wifi connected; I have to click on the network tray icon to open the SNS dialog bow, and click again on the «Connect Now» button to get the wifi connection; hopefully, no need for new WPA code entering.

charlie6

#916 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
charlie6 wrote:... long time to get wifi connected;
Browsing this thread, I found forum member rerwin some posts starting here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 63#1009363
which lead to a Simple Network Setup new version 2.2.1. on bottom this thread here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 876#952876

BionicPup64 8 iso comes with embedded SNS 2.2 version;
last edited:
SNS 2.2.1. does not fixes the network setup on my HP2530p EliteBook (B43 Broadcom wifi adapter) ( tons of thanks to Richard !)
But rerwin's rc.network.gz given here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 63#1009363 fixes the issue.
As far as I could check it, this rc.network differs from the one present in SNS version 2.2.1.

HTH
Charlie

rerwin

#917 Post by rerwin »

I am working with charlie6 to diagnose the issue.
Richard

linuxcbon

#918 Post by linuxcbon »

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
when I click a ".rar" file in ROX, xarchive launches.
I extract it with xarchive, but it extracts an empty file (size 0).
I dont know if it happened to you too.

escucha

#919 Post by escucha »

Yes I found also this issue since I use rar decompression in .cbr and .cbz comics archive packs.
My surgical solution was deleting this file: 7z-wrap.sh
You can found this wrapper navigating to: /usr/lib/xarchive/wrappers/

I know is a drastical solution but it works for me.
[size=75]Trying Fossapup 64bit. Still daily work in Bionic64.[/size]

RetroTechGuy

Re: simple_network_setup possible unexpected behavior

#920 Post by RetroTechGuy »

rerwin wrote:Simple_network_setup 2.2 (SNS) can misbehave the first time it is used after first boot-up or after using another network manager (network wizard, frisbee, peasywifi). The problem is that it may not correctly identify itself as the current manager, so that :
- starting a new connection may fail.
- Re-connection may not occur after a reboot

Even if neither malfunction occurs, starting SNS and immediately Quitting it will prevent or resolve the issue. That need be done only once after first boot-up or changing from another network manager.

The bug has been fixed in woofCE but too late for BionicPup 8.0. To avoid exposure to the bug, pet package simple_network_setup-2.2.1 is available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 876#952876

Also at that link is network-wizard-2.1.1. (Ignore the other packages there.) Both of those packages change the "current manager" only if a connection is configured, started or stopped. That way, merely viewing their main pages does not terminate a connection started by another manager.
Richard
Running Xenial 7.5 64-bit.

I've tried loading and quitting sns a couple times, but my eth0 doesn't automatically connect (in fact, I pull up sns, and it appears that I need to delete the saved configuration, and redo the connection to get it to connect.

Running sns from the command line reports this:

Code: Select all

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

tunl0     no wireless extensions.

EXIT="EXITNOW"
Why is it looking for wireless extensions on eth0?... Did I break something during my install (I really don't want to go through that whole routine again to get my various packages working again)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]