corepup

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rockedge

#676 Post by rockedge »

nosystemdthanks First of all I read your post and I think it is well written and valid. I agree...in basic English.

do you use the script to download apps
the gui is not available
no i did not but that makes sense! and I will. Thanks for the tip.

concerning writing to /tce on the USB stick... there are other Puppies on the stick with save folders that work...and different versions including a Xenial custom built with woof-CE..I assumed it would have written to the /tce directory. This is occuring on the HDD as well.

Strange thing..... on my corepup-6 setup on a USB HDD I have 2 boot options setup with grub4dos...one that writes to /tce and the other is writing to /cde and both work...same over all frugal setup but booted those 2 different ways so in effect like to seperate save folders 2 different OS's all from the same setup......odd because I did this by accident but seems to work. I will look around to see if the one option for writing to the /cde folder is actually writing to a /tce and placing it some place else. I will check

my goal is to use corepup in some version to installZoneMinder and see if I can get it to run....I would like to beat my puppy ZM setups in how little of RAM the OS running ZM takes up. right now I am running corepup-6 in with palemoon running (installer won't work..yet) in about 70-80 megs of RAM. I would like to see how ZM will fair running on corepup compared to the Ubuntu's and other big distros.

nosystemdthanks

#677 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge: i would note that the corepup-8 my latest script produces works with the same grub setup and /tce folder as the other versions. if they are in /tce then the extensions are loaded.

i will also try wanderers standard corepup-8 and let you know if it works differently.

if the standard version works differently, then the latest corepup is whats causing the trouble, but if it doesnt then its probably the grub setup. its also very unlikely that using wanderers iso will be different, but i want to be sure.

wanderer wrote:hi nosystemdthanks

I note with great interest the advancement of your script
thanks. it still lacks some features i think it really needs, but the latest version can produce corepup-8 and i think corepup-7 as well (the previous version produces corepup-7.)

are you going to make an iso with it and post it ?
it produces the iso, and it takes about 30 seconds to run:

bash-4.4# cd /mnt/mcorepup && rm -rf *bps* *.deb ../mcorepup/usr/ logo.16 vcoreplusfs/ newiso/ mcorepup03.fig.py figu* dircmp.fig debian-binary data.tar.xz coreplusfs/ control.tar.gz ar*.fig alex23.py fs fig46.py dpkg-deb core ; umount coreplus/ ; rmdir coreplus/
umount: coreplus/: no mount point specified.
rmdir: failed to remove 'coreplus/': No such file or directory

bash-4.4# time fig46.py mcorepup03.fig ; time ./mcorepup03.fig.py

it produces a lot of text, but the relevant parts are:

translation complete. here's a python script you can run: mcorepup03.fig.py

real 0m0.317s
user 0m0.274s
sys 0m0.014s

5141 extents written (10 MB)

real 0m17.642s
user 0m2.420s
sys 0m1.478s

so that actually took about 20 seconds to turn CorePlus-6.4.1.iso into corepup-8.iso which is 1/8 the size. if you havent already downloaded the coreplus iso, it will take longer and download it for you.

given that this script:

1. lets you build your own versions of corepup

2. will let you add packages to the iso without isomaster

3. documents what is in corepup rather well

4. is based directly on a script that remasters debian, void, and originally puppy (librepup)

i would say the best thing to do with the script is have people run it. when a successful run takes 20 seconds, granted there is a little bit of setup (puppy may not have everything installed, but ally has run a script similar to this one many times) this isnt like a thing where you come back 2 hours later and have try again.

this allows so many small changes, that one less-than-100k script may be able to produce 3 (at least 2) different-sized isos.

instead of sharing isos, you can share the text file that makes them. of course, you can share the isos too if you want. but the iso this uses is the coreplus iso. if you can download that, you can produce new isos with this automatically.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

rockedge

#678 Post by rockedge »

nosystemdthanks

I want to run your script. best If I run this in corepup-6 ?
using the instructions in the most recent mcorefig.pdf or this

Code: Select all

# fig46.py mcorepup02.fig

# ./mcorepup02.fig.py 
a little guidance please. :)

nosystemdthanks

#679 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:a little guidance please.
im happy to walk you through it and answer any questions.

lets talk about requirements first:

i havent run mcorepup in corepup yet. i should try it, but the main requirements are:

1. squashfs-tools (this should be available in coreplus)

2. isohybrid (if you want to be able to dd the iso to usb. if youre not doing this, you dont need to install syslinux.tcz)

3. python.tcz (like it says in the pdf)

if something in the pdf proves to be wrong or out of date, please let me know.

4. fig (2.9 should work, im using 4.6. 2.9 is available as a .pet and 4.6 adds very little to the language itself.)

5. mkisofs.tcz, which is available in coreplus.

as root:

1. mkdir /mnt/mcorepup (you can use a gui)

2. cp mcorepup03.fig /mnt/mcorepup (you can use a gui)

# cd /mnt/mcorepup (you need to be in the term now)

# fig29.py mcorepup03.fig

# ./mcorepup03.fig.py

if the fig29 step (fraction of a second) succeeds, it will look like this:

[lots of output]

translation complete. here's a python script you can run: mcorepup03.fig.py

if mcorepup also succeeds (30 seconds or so, not including the one time it needs to download corepup) the bottom of the output will look like this:

5141 extents written (10 MB)

1. if it doesnt say "5141" thats probably ok. if it doesnt say 10 mb then pm me what output you can.

2. if it doesnt make it to the "extents written" line (where mkisofs is producing the iso) then the bottom 10-15 lines of output should be enough to figure out what happened, feel free to post that here. (or in the mcorepup thread.)

as complicated as this probably sounds, once you have the few basic utils installed that support this, every time i run this its very much like this:

1. press up arrow a few times to get to line that removes files and unmounts the iso, hit enter

2. press up arrow a few times to get to line that says fig46.py mcorepup03.fig ; ./mcorepup03.fig.py

when you have the utils installed and mcorepup in the /mnt/mcorepup folder, those two lines are pretty much all you need to worry about.

that... and that any modifications youve made to mcorepup03.fig are suitable. its designed to be run unmodified, but also so you can modify it if you want.

i run mcorepup from void linux mostly, it should work from puppy tahr, librepup, refracta, debian and ultimately coreplus.

most of it is python, then there are other other tools mentioned.

once you know how to set it up in one distro, it shouldnt be that much trouble to get it working just about anywhere.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

rockedge

#680 Post by rockedge »

I managed to get it to run all the way through using a Tahr 6.0.6 built custom from woof-CE..a corepup-8.iso was created but not correctly populated.Also many errors seemed to have occurred during the build
Attachments
corepup-2nd.png
(124.77 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
corepup-1st.png
(118.58 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

nosystemdthanks

#681 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:I managed to get it to run all the way through using a Tahr 6.0.6 built custom from woof-CE..
it looks like it translated fine, you shouldnt have to create mcorepup.fig.py again unless you change the .fig source.

a corepup-8.iso was created but not correctly populated.Also many errors seemed to have occurred during the build
yes, from the screencap it looks like it was successful. mcorepup 0.3 means thats 0.1 was the first version of the script to ever be adapted to corepup (july 2018) and 0.3 is the third (july 2018) and the output is still extremely verbose-- but everything actually looks normal from the screencap.

have you tried booting it? what did it do?

mcorepup 0.3 creates corepup-8, which is supposed to be that size.

personally, i think it worked. if not, i can give you some commands to try out to collect more information that we can use to figure out what happened.

mcorepup doesnt clean up after itself, instead it keeps everything in /mnt/mcorepup. the reason is that you might want those files before you get rid of them. note that it probably wont work a second time until you remove the files and unmount the coreplus iso.

but id make a copy of that iso, i believe it may have worked.

this isnt confidence, its experience. i could be wrong, but from here it would be good to have more information.

if you want to double check the mcorepup03.fig.py file (the translation, not the fig source) run md5sum on it and let me know the hash, that will probably let me confirm that it translated too.

thanks for trying this out and helping with this so far.

one thing that might help:

# mkdir /mnt/cd ; mount corepup-8.iso /mnt/cd ; find /mnt/cd | wc -l ; umount /mnt/cd # tell me what the number is

if your iso doesnt boot, and that number is lower than i would expect, then id remove the | wc -l part and replace it with | curl -F c=@- https://ptpb.pw # then post the url here. this may require you to install curl unless it is included in tahr. you could also > cdlist.txt instead and then attach it here.

probably the best information i could ask for is the list of files that are on the iso. if theyre there, it probably worked. if ones missing, i can probably tell you how to fix it.

rockedge

#682 Post by rockedge »

the iso booted from a frugal type set up[ on the USB the tahr 606 is on that made it...grub4dos ...no gui..... reports corepup-8 I am messing with the tce package to load some tcz packages...seems to work....but O have a /LIVECD directory in the ISO and it is empty correct???.

anyway it is 2:05 in the morning I need some sleep. I will continue the testing later on this morning.

nosystemdthanks

#683 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:I will continue the testing later on this morning.
i appreciate that. heres what i think so far:

1. most importantly: this is about your setup. its not likely about the iso you produced, nor is it likely about the standard corepup-8 from wanderer. you could try running mcorepup 0.2 instead, it produces an iso with a gui.

2. when i started using corepup (the original, and i had similar experiences with my version as its very close to exactly the same) there were many occasions when i booted without a gui.

3. on every such occasion, it was my own setup, not the iso. every occasion.

4. i have tried both corepup-8.iso the original, and corepup-8.iso the output of mcorepup03.fig. both will boot with a gui if the extensions are in place for it and the setup (the bootloader config and tce folder) is as it should be.

5. my own setup works, and yours should too. whenever there is a problem, wanderer recommends making a boot usb or boot cd. we are both using grub.

6. ultimately our way (separate bootloader) is more practical for most people. when i started working on corepup, i got a new drive so i could repeatedly dd corepup to it and boot that way. that works. now i use grub, which means i can put other things on the drive (like more versions of corepup.)

7. but the problem youre having perfectly fits a bootloader configuration problem. thus i have encouraged you to focus on that (at your preference though) as it really is the most likely place this is going to get fixed first.

8. youve already given me more information than comes with most tech support requests. im grateful for this, and if you give me more, i will try to use it.

im basing everything ive said here on that information, as well as running these things myself in several different ways.

that said, im quite happy to continue examining this with you. you can run md5sum to check the python file (i dont recommend translating it again) and you can run other commands i gave you to help me check the iso.

for diagnostic and other reasons (i still think the iso you made is good) id love it if you emailed the rather small iso to ally, who could archive it as mcorepup-8.iso. (i recommend he add the m to distinguish it from the original.)

ally has run mkfigos many times for me, which mcorepup is based on. it would be very cool to have him archive mcorepup-8. i will download it from the archive and if it isnt exactly like it should be, i will let you both know.

for now, id just rename it to mcorepup-8.iso and that will prevent mcorepup.fig.py or other downloads from writing over it. you dont have to worry about emailing it to anybody if you dont want to.

by the way, the process for running mcorepup is the same for mkfigos and its predecessor refractahrpup. now that youve got fig installed, it can do all of these (fig was not even designed for remastering, mkfigos actually started as a program for comparing puppy isos.)

along with remastering antix, other things fig can do include creating the sphere graphic in this picture:

fig can also do 16-colour graphics without the pygame library installed... but for this one, youd definitely want pygame.

#### license: creative commons cc0 1.0 (public domain)
#### http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/
proginf = "doublespiral 2017 mn"
function rgbcolour r g b c
python
    figcgapal[c] = (r, g, b)
    fig
    fig

v 1
c 400
w 3.14159 divby 2
function radians a
    x a times 3.141592653589793 divby 180 return x
    fig
for r 490 110 -.50    
    e w minus 0.00413367105263 swap e w # 3.14159 / 4 / (490 - 300)

for p 1 360 .5
        e w cos times 380 divby 1 int
        rc r divby 2 int
        rd 256 minus rc rgbcolour rc 0 rc 11
        x p radians x times 2 cos times e plus c int
        y p radians y times 2 sin times e plus r minus 50  int
        m 6.28 plus 1.57 divby 108.503 divby 2
        now v plus m swap now v
        rc r #divby 4 int mod 2
        iftrue rc
            now v times 2 int mod 2 times 11 pset x y now
            y2 y minus 1 pset x y2 now
            fig

next

now display

next

now display lineinput

wanderer

#684 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks

am doing my thing
but following your script with great interest
I will test it out when I am up to speed

thanks for all your work

wanderer

rockedge

#685 Post by rockedge »

OK! I have my script made corepup-8 from above booting,co-exisiting with Puppy Linux and other corepups on an 8 gig USB flash drive (cheap promo give away kind)... and booting into a GUI desktop.

all I did was add the .tcz files into /cde AND I took the mydata.tgz from another corepup-6 and stuck it in there.

Next step to arrange the packages into the correct spot

color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
#splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Puppy xenialpup 7.5 (sda1/XPup32)
  uuid 7c0c8c85-da6f-4699-8bd2-6dfa6feae012
  kernel /XPup32/vmlinuz   psubdir=XPup32 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck forcepae
  initrd /XPup32/initrd.gz

title Puppy tahr 6.0.5 (sda1/Tahr605nopae)
  kernel /Tahr605nopae/vmlinuz   psubdir=Tahr605nopae pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /Tahr605nopae/initrd.gz

title Corepup-8 openbox
  find --set-root uuid () 7c0c8c85-da6f-4699-8bd2-6dfa6feae012
  kernel /Corepup-8/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sda1/Corepup-8/tce/ desktop=openbox waitusb=5
  initrd /Corepup-8/boot/core.gz

title Corepup-8 icewm
  kernel /Corepup-8/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sda1/Corepup-8/cde/ desktop=icewm waitusb=5
  initrd /Corepup-8/boot/core.gz

title Corepup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sda1/Corepup/cde/ desktop=corepup-jwm waitusb=5
  initrd /Corepup/boot/core.gz

title Corepup icewm
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sda1/Corepup/tce/ desktop=icewm waitusb=5
  initrd /Corepup/boot/core.gz      

Attachments
corepup-8-500px.png
(158.32 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

nosystemdthanks

#686 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:OK! I have my script made corepup-8 from above booting,co-exisiting with Puppy Linux and other corepups on an 8 gig USB flash drive (cheap promo give away kind)... and booting into a GUI desktop.
alright! tell ally, he will be happy to know that mcorepup works from tahr.

ok, i just did. couldnt be happier about this, love the screencap.

wanderer

#687 Post by wanderer »

very cool

wanderer

rockedge

#688 Post by rockedge »

I need to install the library libnss.so to get the Vivaldi browser to run and I think I will need it later for zoneminder.....any tips? I could take and Ubuntu/Debian version and make it a tcz perhaps........ OR does tinycore have such a package containing this lib already ?

actually getting vivaldi to run is just a side thing..main thing here is this library comes up as a dpendecy on other packages I will need down the road.

nosystemdthanks

#689 Post by nosystemdthanks »

so wanderer and i are both working on ways to manage that sort of thing.

mine will probably not be tcz based at first, but i agree thats better and wanderers probably will start out that way. it will be very easy to add a few lines to that script and create a new iso that has libnss included. less wonderful is that i havent gotten the core to modify properly (busy with other stuff lately.) so if it doesnt go in a tcz, id have to find a clever place to put it.

ive done that lots of times with other distros, that had the whole thing in a squashfs but not in the initrd-- corepup (and coreplus) have that stuff in initrd or tcz.

which means id need to get one of those working (to do the job for you, at least. you can always make a tcz.)

im surprised libnss isnt available though, have you tried tce-load -wi nss.tcz

rockedge

#690 Post by rockedge »

tce-load -wi nss.tcz
This did work....somewhat.
After having to install libcups.tcz this error now occurs:

./vivaldi: /usr/local/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.22' not found (required by ./vivaldi)

nosystemdthanks

#691 Post by nosystemdthanks »

this is not surprising, but you tried the easy option first-- that was the best thing to do.

so you want a version of libnss that corepup doesnt have, and its even possible that you want a version of libnss that corepup cant run. before you make it a tcz, id recommend getting the debian version (like you said) and trying that.

coreplus at least, and based on what im typing now also the version of busybox that comes with all versions of corepup (wanderers and mine) include ar-- this is very relevant to getting debian stuff working in non-debian-based distros. code from mcorepup:

# wget 'http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/m ... 4_i386.deb' ; ar x dpkg_1.18.24_i386.deb ; tar -xvf data.tar.xz ./usr/bin/dpkg-deb

now you have dpkg-deb in your path, and you can download .deb files and open them like this:

# dont do this: dpkg-deb -x libnss.deb /

first youll have to go to packages.debian.org and get the url for the .deb you want, then either download it with your browser or use wget before using dpkg-deb.

note the / is the path to unzip the .deb to, and (since this isnt a debian system) youll probably want to do this instead:

mkdir ./libnss ; dpkg-deb -x libnss.deb ./libnss ; find ./libnss

before you add all those files to your running filesystem.

corepup has /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib, one could be a symlink, we dont know if the files you want in the libnss are going to go to the path you need them to.

but since you already installed an older libnss, you can probably find / | grep libnss for a hint as to where to put the newer one.

once youre satisfied that libnss works as you need it to, the fun part is making it stay that way. the obvious method is to create a tcz. the not-so-obvious method (for the moment) is anything else...

in most distros youd just put something in /etc/rc.local or the equivalent of that. for figos, i actually modified the live cd to look for /etc/.figos-local on 4 partitions (mounted read-only) and if the file contains "1" then it runs the /etc/rc.local on that partition.

this is a cheap and easy way to have a live cd that looks for settings on other drives.

i probably either need to modify the initrd (the core) or create a tcz builder as a feature of mcorepup to accomplish either of those things.

whats really cool is-- if you found a third way, i could do more things with mcorepup a little sooner. but i should probably use this as a reason to work on either the tcz builder or the code that remixes the core.

getting libnss working-- probably easy, try using dpkg-deb like i said. getting libnss to stay in your setup... without a tcz or changing the core, neither wanderer nor i have likely tried that yet.

youll probably want to make a tcz, to get this working today. if you do, posting what you did will likely help (we can all make a tcz, im very confident of that, but its not something ive read the instructions for yet.)

your corepup skills are fast approaching what i would compare to wanderer and myself. which means always feel free to ask, but we can nearly gain from your corepup experience now, as much as you can gain from ours. and dont think its not appreciated, it definitely is.

wanderer

#692 Post by wanderer »

hi all

just an update

it looks like nosystemdthanks script
is pretty comprehensive and can do more and more
and I will try to use it this weekend to build a corepup

also I intend to try to make a tc 9 set of corepups
like the ones I made for tc 6.4.1
also this weekend

this of course in addition to looking at the
jwm-menu script
tce-load script
and import-sce script

a lot of fun

keep the faith

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#693 Post by nosystemdthanks »

itll be a lot better when it can make changes to the core.gz, but thank you.

rockedge

#694 Post by rockedge »

I am having success using Tahrpup to download and extract packages such as the
nss-3.36.0-1.0.fc28.i686.rpm Fedora 28 package that may fix my little problem. And then
using Tahr to have the set of extracted pieces ready to br placed in the corepup file structure. I am expereimenting with methods for having the changes be persistant.

looking for the 3rd method and the main goal of getting the latest Vivaldi browser to run. I feel like this goal is close to being achieved.

nosystemdthanks

#695 Post by nosystemdthanks »

while it will be extremely simple, the tcz builder in mcorepup will make it very easy to build things like this into the iso, with the option to include the resulting tcz or leave it out. if it leaves it out, it wont create it either.

for example, you could have a section that instead of including everything from corepup-full, would just leave out the stuff for wifi if you didnt want it.

though in this instance i was referring to tczs that dont already exist-- it will grab files from online, stick them in a file hierarchy and then produce a new tcz from it, which then gets included (optionally) in the iso.

as far as talking vs doing goes, ive already set the script up to produce three different corepup isos. im going to do the tcz thing--

when i do that, i can also make it take the mods file that wanderer works on and incorporate that into the iso as a tcz.

but i dont know if that will be this week or not. we have at least three guys innovating corepup now, i love that. if rockedge finds a non-tcz way to save things, that will be really cool.

with corepup im running sudo find / -type l | xargs ls -l to try to find a way to have stuff automatically load when the iso does. i should be looking in the startup scripts too. corepup already has these features, theres got to be a way to use them from the filesystem.

otherwise we will need an rclocal.tcz or something to add this functionality, which i would be happy to produce. but i dont want to make tczs manually if i can setup the way i want to create them with mcorepup.

the mcorepup way will allow mcorepup to create tczs automatically. wanderers script-- which will probably be better, will be for users to create tczs. unless he gets there first and i decide to just use that with mcorepup somehow. thats cool too.