POLL: should we allow political topics in off-topic?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy

should we allow politics to be discussed in off-topic?

YES
52%
NO
31%
POSSIBLY / UNSURE / ABSTAIN
17%

Total votes: 29

learnhow2code

POLL: should we allow political topics in off-topic?

#1 Post by learnhow2code »

not required: consider describing what you think "political topics" does / does not include.

although my position on this is known, i have voted "abstain."

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

It seems some posters have a problem with any non-technical discussions (which would include politics). I think you should change the question accordingly to cover a wider spectrum.

learnhow2code

#3 Post by learnhow2code »

nic007 wrote:I think you should change the question accordingly to cover a wider spectrum.
i think a separate poll would be better for that-- i agree that such a poll would have its own merits, though this is the poll that most directly responds to the issue put forth in the other topic. this one does not stop anyone from creating a second poll (or ignoring this one.)

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Create a poll on the question whether you should change the question of this poll or not :wink:

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

A lot of these so-called political discussions are not political, rather talk about the world we live in. Brexit topic for an example. Britain wanted to leave the EU. How can that be discussed without mentioning the leaders of the countries? The leaders are politicians and therefore the topic could be considered political by some, although it is not.

The only one I know of who gets upset about so-called political is - nobody - no one at all.

gcmartin gets upset if Hillary or Barack get mentioned in a negative or critical way. Also, other topics that go against his extreme far left agenda.

Rather than say he is not going to tolerate any bad spoken about either of them, or his agenda, he causes a diversion falsely claiming we are not allowed to discuss the broader subject of politics.

Considering he is NOT even an American, or so he claims, what difference do the fine points of our problems even make to him?

As for me, the political nature of some topics do not register to my thinking as being anything sensitive, because I am not aligned with any party. I do not have a party agenda.

Pelo

Yes, but about french politicians !

#6 Post by Pelo »

Yes, but about french politicians ! Are you ready to debate ?
Sports would be of more interest, during Olympic games.

learnhow2code

Re: Yes, but about french politicians !

#7 Post by learnhow2code »

Pelo wrote:Yes, but about french politicians ! Are you ready to debate ?
i dont know-- what is your position on (a) french politician(s)?
Sports would be of more interest, during Olympic games.
whats the difference? :)

James C

#8 Post by James C »

I voted abstain as well.

I will note one pattern I've observed, most of the threads that have been deleted/removed have one factor in common...... and I don't even need to mention a username. :)

One other note, I assume that most of us here are adults, chronologically anyway.

Pelo

a meeting point between puppy Linux users

#9 Post by Pelo »

There are so many web sites for political debate, and sports too, keep The forum for what it is, a meeting point between puppy Linux roots, users. and passengers, Puppy Linux being the subject.

s243a

#10 Post by s243a »

I voted, "POSSIBLY / UNSURE / ABSTAIN". It't not that I would recommend the board censor it as I wouldn't since I do not like the feel of an overly moderated forum. It is simply that I get saturated with politics on facebook.

My feeling is that if the debate is good and the posts are well thought out then I'm certainly for discussing politics on this forum. However, we have a wider verity of ages on this forum and I suspect that many people here have not dug deeply into politics or political science.

As a consequence, the political discussions will be the last posts that I will put on my reading list here. At least they will be as long as it is Trump vs Hillary since the choice between the two of them seems like a joke. I was more engaged in the primaries since I found Bernie Sander's much more inspiring then either of the two current choices.

I do have some respect for both Jill Stein or Garry Johnston, but I don't see either of them inspiring the nation much at this point.

bark_bark_bark

#11 Post by bark_bark_bark »

It's called the Off-topic conversations for a reason, it's a place where people can discuss anything and everything. Say no to censorship!

drunkjedi

#12 Post by drunkjedi »

It's off topic.
I just ignore those that don't interest me.
Self censoring is best censoring.
Live and let live.
I don't understand politics much.
Sports yes I like.
And looks like time to click some interesting Photo to revive our old pic a day topic.

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

This is a name calling that attempts to pigeon hole me in HIS realm of cause.

This attempt to position, I will tell YOU AGAIN, this following characterization is not true.
gcmartin gets upset if Hillary or Barack get mentioned in a negative or critical way. Also, other topics that go against his extreme far left agenda.
I am on record for many years about dumping politics-religion-racism-sexism into the forum. I have never felt that a good item for the mission of the forum.

Its not a forum whose original concept was for those topics, IMHO. I do see this community working and continuing to work in a framework of common-cause for PUPPY LInux. It is diverse and expresses itself via the several different incarnations under the PUPPY nomenclature. These solutions and the areas of the forum are consistent with this forum's title. It is contributed to by a world-wide community of peoples from all walks of life who want to be a part, direct or indirectly, in PUPPY's use.

This area, in the past, has addressed, usefully, many asking questions about electronics, sound, repairs, and other such which are outside of Puppy Linux directly, but within the scope of items related to technology understanding, technology operation, and some on repairs and fix-up solutions. Heck, I even gotten a good solid solution on Motorbikes, here in Off-topic. Further, indirectly, I can use my technology while enjoy that solution.

I believe it is right to evaluate what is happening. And to, momentarily, focus our concerns to framing:
  • whether we agree with PUP's mission
  • Or feel the mission should be changed to open up for politics-religion-race-sex.
I never saw this as drawing the line as I have believed that the topic and forum title has always been clear. This poll is more about undrawing a line,IMHO. So that it can be changed to encourage topics which steer members into divisive territories as what happens when peoples discuss these things.

On the name calling or the attempt at painting a picture for which I am not, I say again to that person; "Cut the crap! Stop the name calling, too." And, though I appreciate him finding my words so compelling, let see him try to express something, if he finds a need to attack further, without quoting me or others.
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

scabz

#14 Post by scabz »

funny thing i left puppy for a bit to get my life strait now that i am all good i was about to come back and try to contribute but i see no reason to now. if post gets deleted for no real reason then i shall not post or contribute any work i may have.

Thanks puppy was fun.

learnhow2code

#15 Post by learnhow2code »

gcmartin wrote:I am on record for many years
and somebody please fix that record! or at least give it a beat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvvhDngERXo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfEkMLaEOEI

gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

@Scabz, I am not sure that this is a good caracature. I am not a moderator nor do I speak for any. But, I do think that if this is done, there is probably some good reason. For example, imagine a thread which has NO attempt at any solution. Imagine a thread which got derailed from its opening topic. Imagine a thread which is attacking very specific items where no path to any solution exist, except to prolong a fight.

Further, you mention contribution. Unless a "contribution" thread become derailed, I cannot remember any time otherwise.

If you contribute a distro or if you contribute a solution or if you contribute a question seeking an answer or if your "contribution" is part of a thread which got derailed, we may have never have seen or noticed such.

This community, IMHO, remains one of the best examples of a community of contributors, helpers, testers and users that has ever existed on the Internet. And I have seen others which do NOT compare with this community, at all. Some do not exist anymore.

Our job, as members, is to continue to make it so.

And please ignore the prior poster's distraction. BUT remember it is his thread! So, he has the liberty to steer it any way he chooses. After all, it is his ball and he can choose to play or ...

learnhow2code

#17 Post by learnhow2code »

gcmartin wrote:And please ignore the prior poster's distraction. BUT remember it is his thread! So, he has the liberty to steer it any way he chooses. After all, it is his ball and he can choose to play or ...
or... i could just ask if you voted for or against the ability of the person you just replied to, to say what HE wants to say here.

you see, HE just said there is no point contributing if he is stifled by censorship. (thats my interpretation and hes welcome to correct me if i got him wrong.)

to which you replied in a way that entirely missed what he was saying: "oh, thats not a fair caricature of me..."

why dont you just say you voted for his right to talk? you did vote for his right to talk, didnt you? (you did, right?) im sure he can get to the REAL YOU based on that, without my help :) i abstained, which was probably a mistake. for that i hope i didnt let anyone down.

scabz

#18 Post by scabz »

you see, HE just said there is no point contributing if he is stifled by censorship. (thats my interpretation and hes welcome to correct me if i got him wrong.)

to which you replied in a way that entirely missed what he was saying: "oh, thats not a fair caricature of me..."
exactly "hit the nail on the head"

Sailor Enceladus

#19 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Bruce B wrote:A lot of these so-called political discussions are not political, rather talk about the world we live in. Brexit topic for an example. Britain wanted to leave the EU. How can that be discussed without mentioning the leaders of the countries? The leaders are politicians and therefore the topic could be considered political by some, although it is not.

The only one I know of who gets upset about so-called political is - nobody - no one at all.
I disagree. :twisted: I kinda liked the Brexit thread because I didn't even know what it was and got some interesting insight about it. The American Election... however, is something that would fall into the category of "a topic that makes me upset existing". :twisted:

learnhow2code

#20 Post by learnhow2code »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:I disagree. I kinda liked the Brexit thread because I didn't even know what it was and got some interesting insight about it. The American Election... however, is something that would fall into the category of "a topic that makes me upset...
as usual, i have no retort for sailor-- what he puts forth here is impeccable. :)