Puppy in the "press"... Experts on distroes

Promote Puppy !
Atle

Puppy in the "press"... Experts on distroes

#1 Post by Atle »

Copy paste from article...

5. Puppy Linux

When it comes to turning ancient PCs into something usable again, there is nothing better than a fresh installation of Puppy Linux. I've personally had Puppy Linux running on a Pentium II before. On something with a bit more in terms of resources (for the browser), Puppy Linux is screaming fast. If you have a computer with 1 GB of RAM, you'll never look back.

Puppy Linux is based on Slackware, but you can also install a version that relies on an Ubuntu base if you prefer. Both versions come with the JVM window manager, though OpenBox also runs great on Puppy if you prefer.

At a cool 200 MB or less, you can run Puppy on just about anything. Puppy Linux also runs very well from a USB flash drive or a CD. This means a full installation is left completely up to the end user. If however, you want to run with a CD/USB copy but need to store permanent configuration files, Puppy will allow you to pick a storage destination just for that purpose. Speaking for myself, I always opted to simply install Puppy Linux since I found that once it's installed, I had no need to take it with me anywhere else.

Like many modern distributions today, Puppy Linux allows its users to install software one of two ways. Either from its repositories or via "pet" packages. It's worth noting that Puppy also supports txz and sfs packages as well.

Now for the downside. While Puppy Linux does come with a great firewall application, it also lacks a root password. On top of that, it lacks an automated means of applying security updates. To be clear, they do release security updates for the distro – I've applied updates via their tools in the past. The problem is there isn't an automatic tool for doing so without thinking about it.

On the flip side, according to my research, there is still "some" security through obscurity provided. First, Puppy Linux uses a unionfs/aufs stacking file system. As a result, they've setup Puppy to keep all but the most recent files in a read only state. Again, not perfect...but not as bad as it could be, either. At the end of the day, Puppy Linux to my knowledge has never-ever been hacked by anyone in a malicious manner. That said, it's high time we see their website upgrade to a proper SSL certification since they are asking people to download an operating system from their website.

Source: http://www.datamation.com/open-source/b ... ros-1.html

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

That said, it's high time we see their website upgrade to a proper SSL certification since they are asking people to download an operating system from their website.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

+1

NO SSL2, SSL3 or TLS1.0. get serious. Considering the other posts about D/L a 'corrupted' OS by a bad-guy, the man-in-the-middle version can bee mitigated by a secure D/L.

However, there are sources such as archive org that will do this, it need not be placed on the pupy website servers. In fact, I would support NO D/L at puppy website: redirect to a secure D/L site.

JMHO
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Formulated writing to give postive and negative parts, so SSL age on a website used for downloads ( shared by dozens of other projects ) was the negative? It was a weak review even if based on reviews of reviews a decade ago with a fresh look.
Wish a true user could write reviews I can gives pages of negatives but still can't find a linux or community of users l like better.

Atle

#5 Post by Atle »

As one of the usual suspects in puppyland, I was a bit shocked reading this as it really did not reflect realities.

Usually when i DL a puppy its from Nluug or similar. No https there.
But given that that was the negative side, its not so bad.

There is not one single headline with "puppy" if you search newsnow.co.uk /Linux

So puppy hardly makes it to the news, and maybe its good and maybe its bad.