tahrpup quit printing

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
dcc701

tahrpup quit printing

#1 Post by dcc701 »

Have been printing fine for 9 months.
BTW really been enjoying tahrpup on an old Dell Latitude laptop. It's been very useful and economical for me and family.
However, just today, can't print.

So I went to the CUPS page, the tab to "Administration", but when clicked it just goes to a "500 internal server error" or somesuch notification. Actually, most every link on that page does the same. My printer and its controls are nowhere to be found.

Rebooted as "puppy pfix=ram" and now the links on CUPS work, but everything is of course not set up as I have it on regular boot.

What can I do to repair printing on the regular boot?
Any advice appreciated.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#3 Post by 666philb »

yes some .debs ...specifically google-chrome and maybe googleearth mess with file system permissions

not sure if this is in the post that bigpup posted, but for a frugal in a terminal try

Code: Select all

chmod 755 /initrd/pup_rw
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

dcc701

#4 Post by dcc701 »

Hi 666philb and bigpup--
Thanks for recommendations.
Tried the chmod 755 /initrd/pup_rw in terminal. Nothing seemed to happen other than another root prompt after I entered.
Cups page links still had same 500 problem.

Also checked permissions in initrd/pup_rw as per bigpups link and they seemed in order.

I noticed in package manager that cups_1.7.2 is listed as being available and that I have cups-1.4.8-w5c. Would it help to load the new one?

If can't resolve, any strategy to revert to earlier save? I'm booting frugal off a flash drive on a laptop with no RAM.

Thanks.

666philb

#5 Post by 666philb »

try reinstalling 1.4.8 from the ppm.... it should let you.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

dcc701

#6 Post by dcc701 »

666philb--
Per your suggestion, just reinstalled 1.4.8 in ppm and rebooted. No joy, same 500 error. At same time also uninstalled chrome since that was mentioned as a possible culprit in the thread that bigpup sent.

I now understand that your chmod 755 /initrd/pup_rw did work.
I see now that it changes the permissions in the pup_rw to eliminate write privs for group and world, and removes the tick by "sticky".

However, I've just determined that every time I reboot, the group and world permissions are turned on again, as well as "sticky".

In any case, the same 500 error appears whether or not those permissions are on or off. It's impossible however to get a fresh boot with them off because they always re-appear on reboot.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Reinstalling CUPS will never fix this. Are you loading any SFS packages at bootup?

dcc701

#8 Post by dcc701 »

Hi rcrsn51--
In desktop's root file folder, I see two .sfs files:
google_earth_7.1.2.sfs
skype-4.3.0.37.sfs

Should I delete them to fix the CUPS 500 error?

Karl Godt

#9 Post by Karl Godt »

dcc701 wrote:Hi rcrsn51--
In desktop's root file folder, I see two .sfs files:
google_earth_7.1.2.sfs
skype-4.3.0.37.sfs

Should I delete them to fix the CUPS 500 error?
No, just fire up sfs_load GUI and select the google-earth.sfs to unload .
No need to delete, rename or move the .sfs .

dcc701

#10 Post by dcc701 »

Thanks Karl--
Tried that just now with SFS-Load On-the-Fly and also Boot Manager, however, the google earth sfs shows up nowhere on either interface, so I can't load it or unload it. The skype sfs shows up in the "Load" box, so it apparently has never been added to the load list anyway??

Why would the google earth sfs not be showing? How to get rid of it then?