Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
xav795

#91 Post by xav795 »

Mike,
I have installed the "broadcom-5.10.27.14-k2.6.25.16.pet" and then have rebooted the pc, but there are messages when i ask with dmesg (the last lines)
b43-phy0 ERROR: PHY transmission error
printk: 17 messages suppressed.
printk: 3 messages suppressed.

lsmod gives me : (an extract)
crypto_blkcipher 19844 1 ecb
b43 141340 0
mac80211 129680 1 b43
cfg80211 18696 1 mac80211
ohci_hcd 25860 0
serio_raw 6788 0
wl 1071364 0
sdhci 17288 0
ohci1394 31792 0
ieee80211_crypt 5632 1 wl
mmc_block 12676 0
b44 25616 0
pcspkr 2944 0
mmc_core 46868 2 sdhci,mmc_block
ieee1394 89272 1 ohci1394
ssb 34436 3 b43,ohci_hcd,b44
mii 5504 1 b44

I dont know if this is the good thread to talk about this

Xavier

mikeb

#92 Post by mikeb »

Indeed...and looks like the b43 and ssb drivers have not been disabled as they should.

Start a fresh thread and there will be more help on your particular problem

regards

mike

Wolfgar

Newbies' Perspective

#93 Post by Wolfgar »

I just installed Puppy Linux (PL) a couple of weeks ago. I had already tried several other distros with mixed (but unsuccessful) results.

I bought a junk laptop (Gateway Solo 9500 - hotstuff several years ago), and I thought this would be my new toy. I consistently had trouble getting Linux to boot off the hd. I often had to hit the power button four or five times. Wifi never worked. The whole point was to have my toy on wireless. Finally I threw the towel in on the Solo (it's now a door stop).

On a whim, I put PL on my Dell B130 laptop. Bang! First time - every time, but still no wifi. I dredged the forums to find an answer, and switching to the B43 driver turned the trick.

The Dell is very fast on boot/shutdown in under 15 seconds. I have not solved the other problems I encountered yet, but things work well enough now.

I was an administrator on a Risc6000/AIX system twelve-years ago. I tried Linux in 1995, but I did not have the time or inclination to get it up an running. PL is a real piece of work!

I am in sympathy with the anti-MS line. Realistically, I could dump Windows and function normally with PL, but I have to overcome some other snags first. I'm not asking questions or for help with this note because I believe in sweat equity. The answers are there, and I'll find them.

My AIX past is coming back to me, and the more I work with PL the better things will be. At some point, I want to help out and contribute to the cause.

My neighbor tried Ubuntu, but he is a point -and- click guy and he would have been completely lost figuring any thing out. He quit the chase (he prophesied in '95 Linux would never last!).

I will try to get some other geeks I know to give PL a shot. Thanks for the effort Murga and the other marines have invested in this project. Good job on a monster project!

HeathenKaer

#94 Post by HeathenKaer »

About a month ago, I amputated Windoze and started using openSuSE on my old laptop (acerTM2420, 256mb RAM, 1.5 GHz Intel, ~35GB HD, came with XP-sp1). It worked, after a great deal of stripping and streamlining, but was painfully slow. When I queried their forums, it was suggested I try the Puppy or DSL.

I'm very happy to say that I have Puppy 4.2 Retro up and running on Frugal install. It is so smooth and sleek and fast!. I have had no trouble.

Everything I've tried thus far, from watching videos to web surfing has been quicker than even my girlfriend's 6-month-old Vista machine.

Linux is a new language for me, and I just don't speak it yet. I grew up on DOS (my first computer was a Tandy 1000 with DM1.0). I

'm so happy to see such a thriving community so willing to help. It's been a long time since I felt like a n00b, and I'm so glad you are here to make the transition easier.

I did have a time of figuring out where that darn menu.lst was. And I haven't rebooted since I changed it, so here's me crossing my fingers.

I'm off to go thank the guys on the suse forum for sending me here.

Ciao, y'all!

t-rek

#95 Post by t-rek »

I'm switched from windows to Puppy 3 days ago and I'am really satisfied with it. Well the installation wasn't really smooth but that is because the forums were down when i tried to install on my hdd. :D

I read the manuals and other other Linux tutorials too, and i would like to suggest you to make a tutorial about compiling source code, for beginners. It would be cool if you also use an example program, so we can follow your steps.
Thank U all

t-rek

lamama

#96 Post by lamama »

I have a PowerBook G4 with a 400 Mhz processor and 1 GB SDRAM...do you think I can install Puppy on it and it will work without problems? It's an old laptop, maybe I should buy a new one. Or maybe I'll get the jobs done with this one...
Last edited by lamama on Mon 10 Aug 2009, 20:51, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.keine-jobs.com/stellenmarkt]Stellenmarkt[/url]

RichAustin

#97 Post by RichAustin »

Personally I'm incredibly impressed with PL. I have installed it on two very old laptops (I overwrote one with Slackware today). The laptop I'm typing this on is a Samsung VM7000 64mb (yes, I said 64). It runs fine though there are some issues to do with myself not knowing enough about PL.

I think the support side really needs looking at. For a beginner, well, I don't know how they would possibly get an old PC to work with PL. Most of the documentation (I've only been using PL for 2 days to be fair) is poor and out of date. I can't say how well PL would deal with new hardware - haven't tried it.

Wireless information in particular is obscure and not too clear at all. It is frustrating when the "Wizard" tells you there is a connection (I found this in both USB and PCMCIA cards) yet refuses to connect! A tutorial for this would be brilliant.

I've been involved with computers since I was 14 (I'm 47 now - you work it out!). Working as a VB6 developer / support engineer currently. I'm happy to get involved with the project if someone want to message me and ask. austrch@aol.com

Rich

cthisbear

#98 Post by cthisbear »

RichAustin :

Maybe get involved here with jaapz .

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44726

///////////

Also of interest...ecomoney Seafarers cybercafe.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8&start=30

" Today I met with the Chairmen of the Board of Directors of the
Humber Merchant Seamans Welfare Association.
I gave him an update as to how the Project was progressing.

I explained such things as managers are interested in, such as
how long the computers would last, how much he would need to
pay and worry about legally in terms of liciences, along with
how much longer the Cybercafe was going to be available (uptime)
and how easy and cheap it would be to maintain. "

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8&start=30

Chris,

ecomoney

#99 Post by ecomoney »

RichAustin, hello and welcome to puppy linux. I too was a Professional VB6 programmer many moons ago, but my knowlege has been replaced now with knowledge of more reliable systems. The cybercafe('s) are in the process of being upgraded from XP to Puppy Linux at the moment, and wont be needing any windows programs in the future.

However, believe it or not, there is a definite job, much needed, for someone with your skills, in a very important new area for Puppy Linux. Seeker is currently working on a windows installer for Puppy Linux. It would be great if you would take a look in your spare time and offer him your assistance. Microsoft has put a big technical barrier in place to non-technical types who wish to experiment with alternative operating systems that needs someone with Windows programming skills to get around. Thank you for enrolling in the worlds largest voluntary project :D

The thread for the installer is here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44098

Im sure it would be of interest to many more of our recent influx of "Windows Refugees"...welcome :D
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Izac

OOK BEGGENERS WANNA HELP ME TO HELP YOU?????!!!!

#100 Post by Izac »

we all wanna know more about Puppy> Visit my New Topic at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45875

Why.. well.. i need any 1 to find a stable copy of linux Puppy 4+ Portable..
DO NOT REPLY HERE TO THIS>>> GO TO ^^^^^^^^ AND REPLY

nec

PLEASE HELP

#101 Post by nec »

pLease

1)give me link to download puppy with firefox only I HATE SEAMONKEY browser.

2) I am unable to download to my hard disk. too many linux terms i cant understand. Is there a user friendly puppy? i have puppy4 live CD with sea monkey.

3)my hard disk 20GB(actual usage 18.6) is partitioned as 3GB ext3 (free), 500MB linux swap, 350MB ext2 (free) and rest is FAT32 (microsoft windows). Is this right partition? i want to install pup on ext2

4)only problem is my computer is slow with 128RAM

i shall appriciate easy explanations step by step

thank you in advance

God bless you all

techloid

#102 Post by techloid »

Well, one thing I've noticed while using Puppy Linux is that sometimes the desktop will not load, and it's not very friendly to lower RAM computers (128MB or lower), a lot of the times programs will just close because there isn't enough space in the RAM. A version for lower RAM computers might be nice.

Other than that I think Puppy is a pretty cool piece of software.

Zek23

Browser....Gah!

#103 Post by Zek23 »

So, I'd like to start by saying I've been using Puppy for about half a year now, and it has been my introduction to Linux. I love Puppy's simplicity and flavor, and I find it to be a great distro for older computers in general.
However, NOT FOR WEB-BROWSING!!!! Puppy works amazingly well with limited tech, except when trying to load most web pages! When faced with any website that has banners etc. that can't be loaded quickly, Puppy just shuts the browser down! Why not have it load a little at a time until it's done? I used to use dial-up, and I don't mind waiting for a page to load, but I disdain having to re-login on pages, hoping the browser won't close!
This is my only real complaint, but it's major for me, as I enjoy the web and make its use a big part of my computing experience. Please, please, PLEASE fix this in the next iteration of Puppy! I'd really appreciate it.

Zek

P.S. If there is some way to fix this problem that I haven't found yet, please let me know. However, the forums are quite mum on the topic, so I wait with bated breath.

mikeb

#104 Post by mikeb »

P.S. If there is some way to fix this problem that I haven't found yet, please let me know. However, the forums are quite mum on the topic, so I wait with bated breath.
there is a lot of info on this subject but unfortunately since its on a forum it soon gets lost. :(

flash 10 is more stable than 9
puppy prior to 4.20 needs a gtk2 fix
flashblock helps but fixing the stability is better

mike

mystmaiden

#105 Post by mystmaiden »

I've just been glancing through this topic and noticed a couple of things - one poster said the documentation was out of date and would make it hard for relative newbies to install puppy on older computers. This has definitely not been my experience. I'm a rank newb and with the help of folks here I've already got it going on three computers... so maybe that's relative??

Also another complained of browsing being an issue. I have had no problems at all with browsing with seamonkey on the computers I've done an install on. One computer (running live) with not enough ram didn't much like browsing pages with tons of images, but that's been the extent of the trouble. I fully expect the 6 bucks worth of ram on its way to fix that. Otherwise, I've been able to browse quick and clean.

wishlist - sell me a usb drive with puppy already installed!

just my two cents..

myst

Zek23

Flash 10?

#106 Post by Zek23 »

Cool, so all I need is Flash 10... Is there a .pet for that? If not, I'm gonna need a little coaching. I've no idea what I'm doing as far as targz and command line are concerned. I am inclined to believe it is a software problem because I watch my RAM and CPU as I'm browsing, and it never gets near maxed out when the browser closes on me.

Tanx, Zek

James C

#107 Post by James C »

myst

check out /www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy

I've never had a problem with browser crashing either.

mikeb

#108 Post by mikeb »

puppyite

#109 Post by puppyite »

mystmaiden wrote:wishlist - sell me a usb drive with puppy already installed!
Your wish is granted. These vendors sell Puppy on USB:
OSDisc, Puppy 4.2 USB
On-Disk, Puppy 4.2 USB
I’ll wager it’s available elsewhere too if you prefer to shop around.

Edit: Upon viewing my reply I see James C has already answered your question. This can happen when a reply lands on a newer page (I didn’t read the whole thread, OOPS).

James C,

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy]http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy[/url]

mystmaiden

#110 Post by mystmaiden »

perfect! thanks folks!

myst