Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#861 Post by bigpup »

Swap will get used if Puppy can find it at boot up.
Because of speed access ability, swap on a hard drive or ssd drive is best.

In pupmode 13 just know Puppy is setup to work and auto adjust how ram is used.

If everything new is only in the pupsaveramdisk and there is no more ram space to use, you get a low ram warning.
Swap would add to how much space RAM can use, but swap is slower than RAM.

If you have stuff going into the save only when you select to do it.
If you install something you want to keep, also tell Puppy to save by using the save icon on the desktop.
That clears out the pupsaveramdisk.

Just normally running programs, is putting very little, if anything, into the save.
It has to be something new that needs to be saved.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Ether

#862 Post by Ether »

bigpup wrote:Just normally running programs, is putting very little, if anything, into the save.
It has to be something new that needs to be saved.
Firefox cache can get very large during a long session of browsing and streaming video. Where does ff cache reside while puppy is running ??

mikeslr

#863 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Ether,

Have you read http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 066#974066? Among its instructions is the technique for moving the OLD firefox cache out of RAM to /mnt/home. As far as I know, fredx181's firefox quantum portable, and the portable palemoon, firefox-esr and seamonkey Mike Walsh published using fred's technique all direct cache into the profile folder within the respective web-browser's folder. As the web-browser is portable it can be used from /mnt/home; hence cache would be directed to a folder on /mnt/home.

Google-Chrome & Clones, as I mentioned, are run as Spot, a User with limited permissions from a folder named Spot, either in /root or in /home. Changes to both /root and /home take place in RAM. By default, therefore, Web-browser cache will accumulate in RAM. [It should be possible to create a folder at /mnt/home with the proper permissions to move cache to it and symlink it back.] But until I force myself to remember how --it was mentioned yesterday and is already a dim memory-- I use the Addon called "History Eraser". Among its setting are those which enable you to clear cache while keeping your current web-pages open. You just have to remember to use it periodically while surfing.

Puppy runs as Root=Administrator with permission to access anything part-of or attached to your computer and modify or delete any file. A SaveFolder and its contents are decompressed. You can directly change its contents. So can a hacker. A SaveFile is compressed and can not be modified except thru the Save mechanism or (1) mount the SaveFile either directly or using an application; (2) copy its contents to a folder; (3) make changes in that folder; (4) dir2sfs that folder and (5) substitute that folder for the original and (6) delete the original. I'm likely to notice a hacker doing either.

As far as I know, phishing applications, trojans, viruses and other malware are sophisticated programs. To become effective, you have downloaded all their components including the instructions which assemble them. Until a Save is executed, any components exist only in RAM. On shutdown, RAM is cleared. One of my recommendations was/is to only make changes immediately on bootup so that nothing beyond what I desire to change --including the crap I may unknowingly pick up while surfing-- becomes a permanent part of my operating system.

Keeping the SaveFile small: In theory, you can probably get by most of the time with a SaveFile of less than 100 Mbs if you forego the use of Google-Chrome and clones. It only needs to contain your (1) directions of which SFSes you want loaded on bootup, (2) your application settings; and (3) if you choose to create Menu pets to access the executables of 'Program Folders' without having to file-browse to them. From time to time, when you find a "must have" application which can not be run as an SFS or 'Program Folder' you can resize the SaveFile (if necessary), install the application, Remaster, boot into the Remaster and create a new, small SaveFile. If you do not intent to use the Remaster on any computer other than the one you create it on, one of the three components of nic007's Remaster Suite will do a remaster in a couple of minutes. After your 1 minute of input, you're just waiting for it to finish. nic007's other components and Shinobar's remasterX require a little more time from you at the beginning as you'll have more options to choose from.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Are gtkdialog3 gtkdialog4 broken in Bionic?

#864 Post by Lobster »

I am running GROWL which uses
gtkdialog4
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8ec#335216

The program runs BUT preceded by this when run from terminal:

Code: Select all

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyDrive'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 02:29:27.531: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyMount'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 02:29:27.531: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyShadowMount'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolume'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 02:29:27.532: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitor'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorGoa'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorGPhoto2'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorAfc'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorMTP'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 02:29:27.532: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-native-volume-monitor. Expected type is GNativeVolumeMonitor.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

williams2

#865 Post by williams2 »

mikeslr said
A SaveFolder and its contents are decompressed. You can directly change its contents. So can a hacker.
This is true.
A SaveFile is compressed and can not be modified except ...
This is not true. A Puppy SaveFile, in use by Puppy, or ready to be used by Puppy, is always uncompressed.

A SaveFile can be copied or moved and compressed as a backup, but the SaveFile needs to be not compressed for Puppy to be able to make use of it.

A compressed SFS (squash file system) read-only file can be made, so that the SFS will have the same files in it as the SaveFile file system, but the SFS file is not a SaveFile. A SaveFile will have a file system in it like ext2 or ext3 or ext4 and will be writable.

If you put a filesystem like ext3 in a partition, there will be bytes written to a block of memory on the hard drive.

If you create a SaveFile with a file system like ext3, there will be bytes written to a block of memory on the hard drive, exactly the same as the partition.

A SaveFile and an equivalent partition are, for all practical purposes, byte for byte identical.

The SaveFile is a little slower because it is being accessed as a file on a file system. NTFS is particularly slow. However, that is usually not noticeable. A SaveFile is easier to work with than a partition.

Otherwise, I agree with most of what you say. I have always used small SaveFiles. I'm running BionicPup64 at the moment, in ram only (no savefile), with my SaveFile copied to an adrv SFS.

vtpup

Touchpad problems

#866 Post by vtpup »

I've been testing BionicPup on the Acer R11 Chromebook with good results re. programs now, and the keyboard now works thanks to the inclusion of pinctrl_cherryview kernel module in the latest kernel compiles. Also the sound problem has effectively been worked around via a USB headphone dongle, but there remains a problem with the action of the touchpad.

The touchpad response causes the cursor to jump around at odd moments, and to rapidly cycle through the 3 desktops. It also has a tendency to overshoot whatever target you are trying to click on. This makes BionicPup very frustrating to use.

I have tried to adjust it via the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard, but no combination I've tried tames it completely. The above problems contiunue to occur when all touchpad scrolling and tapping are turned off. Also, attempting to calibrate the touchpad side limits crashes the M/K Wizard -- possibly a bug.

I've looked into things a little deeper and understand that the Wizard basically sets values in ~/.flsynclient -- which I believe was developed by Jemima for Fluppy. There are a lot of values in that config file -- some of which seem to be hard coded in and not either addressed by and/or affected by setting in the M/K Wizard.

For instance, there are hard coded coasting speed and a coasting friction values -- maybe these account for the cursor overshooting problems I'm seeing.

The problem is, I don't know how .flsynclient works -- what uses its values, what applies them to whatever controls the cursor. And also that the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard does not seem to be properly interacting with it.

I have been using Fatdog 64 - 800 series, and unlike Biopup it has perfectly smooth and reliable touchpad functions with this chromebook. I looked for flsynclient (to possibly copy its contents) on that OS, but it does not use it. I don't know what touchpad system it uses for control, but it works much better than the present Puppy version -- perhaps there are some clues there?

I'm basically at the limit of my troubleshooting ability -- hoping someone can help solve this, as BioPup is otherwise very viable on this Chromebook.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

Terry H

#867 Post by Terry H »

@vtpup

You mention you use a M/K Wizard, I'm not sure what that is, but there is an FlSynclient GUI. Menu > Desktop > FlSynclient.

On laptops this is the first thing I do to tame the touchpad. I normally reduce touch sensitivity and also disable all tapping. This generally works fine for me.

bigpup

#868 Post by bigpup »

vtpup,

Pup-Sysinfo>Devices>Input

Please post info for the touchpad.
YaPI(any iso installer)

vtpup

#869 Post by vtpup »

TerryH, thanks, yes I know how to do that -- you're just going by a different menu route to get there. I was using Setup>Mouse/Keybord Wizard>Touchpad.

Unfortunately the flsynclient GUI (or "Touchpad"choice in M/K Wizard) does not allow adjustment of some necessary touchpad parameters and also crashes when I try to use it for calibrating (for instance) the left side of the touchpad.

BigPup:

Bus=0018 Vendor=04f3 Product=002a Version=0000
Name="Elan Touchpad"
Connected to: 
Thanks!

vtpup

#870 Post by vtpup »

I'm now looking at the actual set parameters. If I run the "synclient: command in the console, I get a listing of all the set touchpad parameters. And these can be changed with synclient as well.

LeftEdge                = 128
    RightEdge               = 3079
    TopEdge                 = 96
    BottomEdge              = 1695
    FingerLow               = 0
    FingerHigh              = 32
    MaxTapTime              = 44
    MaxTapMove              = 17
    MaxDoubleTapTime        = 24
    SingleTapTimeout        = 180
    ClickTime               = 100
    EmulateMidButtonTime    = 0
    EmulateTwoFingerMinZ    = 282
    EmulateTwoFingerMinW    = 7
    VertScrollDelta         = 73
    HorizScrollDelta        = 73
    VertEdgeScroll          = 1
    HorizEdgeScroll         = 0
    CornerCoasting          = 0
    VertTwoFingerScroll     = 1
    HorizTwoFingerScroll    = 0
    MinSpeed                = 0
    MaxSpeed                = 10
    AccelFactor             = 0.0001
    TouchpadOff             = 0
    LockedDrags             = 0
    LockedDragTimeout       = 5000
    RTCornerButton          = 0
    RBCornerButton          = 0
    LTCornerButton          = 0
    LBCornerButton          = 0
    TapButton1              = 0
    TapButton2              = 0
    TapButton3              = 0
    ClickFinger1            = 1
    ClickFinger2            = 3
    ClickFinger3            = 0
    CircularScrolling       = 0
    CircScrollDelta         = 0.01
    CircScrollTrigger       = 7
    CircularPad             = 0
    PalmDetect              = 0
    PalmMinWidth            = 10
    PalmMinZ                = 200
    CoastingSpeed           = 20
    CoastingFriction        = 50
    PressureMotionMinZ      = 30
    PressureMotionMaxZ      = 160
    PressureMotionMinFactor = 1
    PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1
    ResolutionDetect        = 1
    GrabEventDevice         = 0
    TapAndDragGesture       = 1
    AreaLeftEdge            = 0
    AreaRightEdge           = 0
    AreaTopEdge             = 0
    AreaBottomEdge          = 0
    HorizHysteresis         = 18
    VertHysteresis          = 18
    ClickPad                = 1
    RightButtonAreaLeft     = 1603
    RightButtonAreaRight    = 0
    RightButtonAreaTop      = 1468
    RightButtonAreaBottom   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaLeft    = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaRight   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaTop     = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaBottom  = 0

bigpup

#871 Post by bigpup »

vtpup,

I have a Chromebook that has a Elan Touchpad.
It has a 14" monitor.

It seems to be working OK for me.
I am using the standard official Bionicpup64 8.0 with all updates from Quickpet>Info>Bionicpup updates

My settings are different from yours.

Note:
TouchpadOff= 1 is because I have the touchpad turned off, to use a wireless mouse.
But it could be on (TouchpadOff= 0) and both would work at the same time.

My ~/.flsynclient has these settings:

Parameter settings:
    LeftEdge                = 132
    RightEdge               = 3168
    TopEdge                 = 106
    BottomEdge              = 1871
    FingerLow               = 25
    FingerHigh              = 30
    MaxTapTime              = 180
    MaxTapMove              = 169
    MaxDoubleTapTime        = 180
    SingleTapTimeout        = 180
    ClickTime               = 100
    EmulateMidButtonTime    = 0
    EmulateTwoFingerMinZ    = 282
    EmulateTwoFingerMinW    = 7
    VertScrollDelta         = 76
    HorizScrollDelta        = 76
    VertEdgeScroll          = 1
    HorizEdgeScroll         = 0
    CornerCoasting          = 0
    VertTwoFingerScroll     = 1
    HorizTwoFingerScroll    = 0
    MinSpeed                = 1
    MaxSpeed                = 1.75
    AccelFactor             = 0.052002
    TouchpadOff             = 1
    LockedDrags             = 0
    LockedDragTimeout       = 5000
    RTCornerButton          = 2
    RBCornerButton          = 3
    LTCornerButton          = 0
    LBCornerButton          = 0
    TapButton1              = 1
    TapButton2              = 3
    TapButton3              = 0
    ClickFinger1            = 1
    ClickFinger2            = 3
    ClickFinger3            = 0
    CircularScrolling       = 0
    CircScrollDelta         = 0.1
    CircScrollTrigger       = 0
    CircularPad             = 0
    PalmDetect              = 0
    PalmMinWidth            = 10
    PalmMinZ                = 200
    CoastingSpeed           = 20
    CoastingFriction        = 50
    PressureMotionMinZ      = 30
    PressureMotionMaxZ      = 160
    PressureMotionMinFactor = 1
    PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1
    ResolutionDetect        = 1
    GrabEventDevice         = 0
    TapAndDragGesture       = 1
    AreaLeftEdge            = 0
    AreaRightEdge           = 0
    AreaTopEdge             = 0
    AreaBottomEdge          = 0
    HorizHysteresis         = 19
    VertHysteresis          = 19
    ClickPad                = 1
    RightButtonAreaLeft     = 1650
    RightButtonAreaRight    = 0
    RightButtonAreaTop      = 1621
    RightButtonAreaBottom   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaLeft    = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaRight   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaTop     = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaBottom  = 0
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

SaveFiles Are NOT Compressed

#872 Post by mikeslr »

williams2 wrote:mikeslr said
A SaveFolder and its contents are decompressed. You can directly change its contents. So can a hacker.
This is true.
A SaveFile is compressed and can not be modified except ...
This is not true. A Puppy SaveFile, in use by Puppy, or ready to be used by Puppy, is always uncompressed...
You know, he's right. :shock: Figuring that an application was necessary to resize them, that to access the files contained within them they had to be mounted, and were mounted by Left-Clicking them which is the way you mount SFSes, and that the only way to directly modify them was by initiating the snapmergepuppy script but especially as Full Installs have been recommended for low RAM systems to speed up the booting and the loading of files, I had assumed that difference was a result of the need to decompress the files within a SaveFile but not from Full Install where the file-systems within an ISO are decompressed to a partition. Well, you know what they say about assumptions.

When confronted by an assertion contrary to my beliefs, I know of only one method to determine the truth: experiment.

So downloaded a LibreOffice pet which, using xz compression required 203 Mbs of Storage Space. UExtracting it created a folder which required 544 Mbs of Storage Space. Booted into Tahrpup pfix=ram and created a new 1 Gb SaveFile. Rebooted and opened PupSysInfo's base report which showed:
Total Size: 1024 MB
Free Space: 952 MB
Installed the libreoffice pet, executed a Save to the SaveFile and rebooted. Immediately on bootup I again opened PupSysInfo's base report which showed:
Free Space: 406 MB

952-406 = 546. Perhaps the 2 Mbs more than just decompressing it to the hard-drive has something to do with inodes created in RAM to the files in the SaveFile whereas no such inodes would have been created with respect to the files merely existing in the folder. Or maybe something else. But, at any rate there does not appear to be any compression of files written to a SaveFile.

rufwoof

Re: SaveFiles Are NOT Compressed

#873 Post by rufwoof »

mikeslr wrote:So downloaded a LibreOffice pet which, using xz compression required 203 Mbs of Storage Space. UExtracting it created a folder which required 544 Mbs of Storage Space. Booted into Tahrpup pfix=ram and created a new 1 Gb SaveFile. Rebooted and opened PupSysInfo's base report which showed:
Free Space: 952 MB
Installed the libreoffice pet, executed a Save to the SaveFile and rebooted. Immediately on bootup I again opened PupSysInfo's base report which showed:
Free Space: 406 MB

952-406 = 546. Perhaps the 2 Mbs more than just decompressing it to the hard-drive has something to do with inodes created in RAM to the files in the SaveFile whereas no such inodes would have been created with respect to the files merely existing in the folder. Or maybe something else. But, at any rate there does not appear to be any compression of files written to a SaveFile.
A save file is just a filesystem file, a file that contains a filesystem, that can be mounted and read/written to. Write operations prevent using compression. The filesystem file will contain its own directory entries and inodes - that take up space. A save file is no/more less secure than a save folder. The main benefit is that you can store a save folder (filesystem) on alternative formats i.e. a ext3 savefolder content on a ntfs or fat partition. Some say having a single file is better than a folder for saves as its easier to move around/copy. But if you use mksquashfs and unsquashfs you can relatively easily convert a save folder into a single (sfs) file.

In my EasyOS boot, I use save folder, but have it stored in a sfs that I unsquashfs as part of bootup, after having validated the checksum of that sfs, so I know its 'clean'. Mostly I don't save once things are set up, but when a update is required I boot, make the changes and then save to the save folder, and recreate a new sfs of that (and record its checksum).

Fundamentally save files are good for if you're using a non ext type storage location, otherwise save folder is more preferable IMO for the unlimited (available free disk space) save area space they provide.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#874 Post by rufwoof »

Storing your save folder/file in compressed form is useful for intrusion detection purposes. For instance I set things up so at bootup the system checks the mbr, grldr, vmlinuz, initrd, main sfs and save folder sfs copies haven't been changed/tampered. Most initrd's include support for tar so you can extend the init code to extract a tar image of the save folder before using that extracted image/folder, which if you use .tgz for that (tar cvzf savefolder.tgz savefolder to create, tar xvzf savefolder.tgz to extract) means that the save folder is already in a single file format ... ready for copying/backup/whatever. There is the additional overhead of having to create that .tgz each time a 'save' is made (and in my case record its checksum (md5)), but that's relatively trivial.

I don't actually check the entire files md5 sum, as the file is compressed, just checking the first 10KB md5 sum's matching is adequate enough to ensure it has been tampered with IMO. Which can make the intrusion detection test that much quicker to run through (compared to checking perhaps 300MB of md5 checksums).

When you know that each of the mbr (I like to run under old BIOS style), grldr, vmlinuz, initrd, the main sfs and the save folder are 'clean', that's as good as booting using a CD/DVD liveboot IMO.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

westwest

mouse and keyboard

#875 Post by westwest »

From the PPM i see that xserver-xorg-input-kbd and xserver-xorg-input-mouse are already installed...
Also, where and how should i add them as drivers in xorg.conf?

bigpup

#876 Post by bigpup »

Abiword has a newer version from the one that is in Bionicpup64 8.0.
https://www.abisource.com/release-notes/3.0.2.phtml
any reason not to update to the newer version?
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#877 Post by 666philb »

westwest wrote:From the PPM i see that xserver-xorg-input-kbd and xserver-xorg-input-mouse are already installed...
Also, where and how should i add them as drivers in xorg.conf?
hi westwest,

they may be showing installed when not so click on them again to install.
and then rename ...
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak
/etc/X11/xorg.conf-auto-pc to xorg.conf
after restarting X this should then use the kbd and mouse driver.

note that if it doesn't work you may have no keyboard or mouse! if that happens you can reverse the above from the command prompt, or boot in ram mode and edit the files directly inside the save.

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-auto-pc 
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf
xwin
Last edited by 666philb on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#878 Post by 666philb »

Lobster wrote:I am running GROWL which uses
gtkdialog4
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8ec#335216

The program runs BUT preceded by this when run from terminal:

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyDrive'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyMount'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyShadowMount'.

hi Lobster,
it runs clean in a terminal for me.
in a terminal try running ..

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/glib-compile-schemas usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas || true
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/gio-querymodules usr/lib/gio/modules || true
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

Re: Touchpad problems

#879 Post by 666philb »

vtpup wrote:I've been testing BionicPup on the Acer R11 Chromebook with good results re. programs now, and the keyboard now works thanks to the inclusion of pinctrl_cherryview kernel module in the latest kernel compiles. Also the sound problem has effectively been worked around via a USB headphone dongle, but there remains a problem with the action of the touchpad.

The touchpad response causes the cursor to jump around at odd moments, and to rapidly cycle through the 3 desktops. It also has a tendency to overshoot whatever target you are trying to click on. This makes BionicPup very frustrating to use.

I have tried to adjust it via the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard, but no combination I've tried tames it completely. The above problems contiunue to occur when all touchpad scrolling and tapping are turned off. Also, attempting to calibrate the touchpad side limits crashes the M/K Wizard -- possibly a bug.

I've looked into things a little deeper and understand that the Wizard basically sets values in ~/.flsynclient -- which I believe was developed by Jemima for Fluppy. There are a lot of values in that config file -- some of which seem to be hard coded in and not either addressed by and/or affected by setting in the M/K Wizard.

For instance, there are hard coded coasting speed and a coasting friction values -- maybe these account for the cursor overshooting problems I'm seeing.

The problem is, I don't know how .flsynclient works -- what uses its values, what applies them to whatever controls the cursor. And also that the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard does not seem to be properly interacting with it.

I have been using Fatdog 64 - 800 series, and unlike Biopup it has perfectly smooth and reliable touchpad functions with this chromebook. I looked for flsynclient (to possibly copy its contents) on that OS, but it does not use it. I don't know what touchpad system it uses for control, but it works much better than the present Puppy version -- perhaps there are some clues there?

I'm basically at the limit of my troubleshooting ability -- hoping someone can help solve this, as BioPup is otherwise very viable on this Chromebook.
hi vtpup,
have a look at this post about changing cursor speed https://askubuntu.com/questions/948373/ ... n-libinput

666philb

#880 Post by 666philb »

bigpup wrote:Abiword has a newer version from the one that is in Bionicpup64 8.0.
https://www.abisource.com/release-notes/3.0.2.phtml
any reason not to update to the newer version?
hi bigpup,

the newer abiword is gtk3 and was going to be included in the build, however i changed my mind as the font browser wasn't as good as the gtk2 version. give it a go and see. it should install fine from the ppm (even though it says it's installed)