Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

Voilà bien la différence, une ISO toute prête

#621 Post by Pelo »

Voilà bien la différence, une ISO toute prête ou une ISO à bâtir
Something strange we can download release candidate, bêta if you like, and downloading of final release would not be possible ?
Dancytron is in my way of thought, i let him argue.
I should not have give any opinion, that was an error. Just use what i find in ally's stores, whatever the name , released or bêta, but ready for use.

Pelo

SSR simplescreenrecorder

#622 Post by Pelo »

Weav, Wex in menu multimedia for screencast, but people used to SSR simplescreenrecorder can use it too (synaptic for install) . Sfs Xvidcap from Puppy stores will run DebianDogs
video lovers informed , for tutorials too.

dancytron

#623 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:

For some time I've been thinking that it wouldn't make sense to open new thread with new ISO release, since it's so easy now to build your own.

But yes, I'll think about it.
Maybe 32 and 64 bit release of the Open Box XFCE-JWM version in one thread with added a (64bit) chrome version (you have suggestion for that, maybe?)

Fred
I don't know if you need a separate ISO for Chrome, since it is so easy to install. Maybe add a .deb to your repo with the two scripts, the .desktop files and whatever setting file adds it to pcmanfm run as menu.

fredx181

#624 Post by fredx181 »

Made a small change to quick-remaster GUI:
- When checked "Merge currently loaded modules e.g. .squashfs or .sfs also into the remaster", the 'extra' .squashfs module(s) in the 'live' folder will be renamed to .squashfs.bak (disabled this way)
The extra modules are not needed anymore, because already merged in the main filesystem.squashfs, so might as well be deleted.
Install from synaptic or from terminal:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install quick-remaster # will install version 1.1.1
EDIT 2017-09-30 : bugfix, do not remove /etc/rc.d from cleaning section in script.
Removing /etc/rc.d would break peasywifi and peasyfwmon
Install from synaptic or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install quick-remaster # will install version 1.1.2
EDIT: And FileFinder added to repositories (thanks rcrsn51 !)

apt-get update
apt-get install filefinder
@rodiontw
Thanks !!
And... Welcome !!

Fred
Attachments
new-quick-remaster.png
Merge will disable 'extra' modules
(9.89 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.

rodiontw

#625 Post by rodiontw »

Fred, could you please upload an ISO of DD Stretch? An ISO upload here for the users in general would be very nice, specially for those who do not have the time or possibility of making their own ISO, since you probably already have some ready ISO`s for use.
Thanks.

saintless

#626 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:For some time I've been thinking that it wouldn't make sense to open new thread with new ISO release, since it's so easy now to build your own.

But yes, I'll think about it.
Building iso image with this script will make different iso versions even if the configuration is the same with some packages updated or outdated depending on the time of building.
It will be best to have same base for testing and bugs fixing with the same md5sum. After Squeeze, Wheezy and Jessie there is nothing wrong to have DebianDog-Stretch version. In my opinion 32-bit and 64-bit in separate threads is better instead both in one thread.

Toni

backi

#627 Post by backi »

We had earlier some discussions about to make a separate section for the "Dogs " on the Forum because Topics and Threads becoming more and more chaotic .
Just want to remind again on the discussion from here :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=15

Somehow the discussion went into Nirwana .Would be nice to keep the Idea alive .

Regards !

fredx181

#628 Post by fredx181 »

rodiontw wrote:Fred, could you please upload an ISO of DD Stretch? An ISO upload here for the users in general would be very nice, specially for those who do not have the time or possibility of making their own ISO, since you probably already have some ready ISO`s for use.
Thanks.
Well, if I'm going to upload an ISO it will be not here, but in dedicated Stretch Dog thread, sorry.
But if someone else want to share a build, it's okay for me, of course.
There is a Stretch Dog beta version here, btw (in case you haven't seen):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 770#959770
It's pretty stable from what I tested.

@belham
P.S. Fred, quit stealing my gif, lol! Wink That's my 'got-to' gif when I am at the limit and can't take it anymore.
No!! It's mine now, but you can borrow it maybe if you ask me v-e-e-e-e-ry polite :lol:

Fred

mikeslr

Debian 9 Stretch minimal ISOs would be appreciated

#629 Post by mikeslr »

rodiontw and especially saintless +1

@ backi, the Forum uses an old version of phpBB. As I understand it, there are significant limits to how much it can be modified. While it would be nice if 'the Dogs' had their own SubForum, that's up to the Maintainer and Moderators.

mikesLr

fredx181

#630 Post by fredx181 »

@rodiontw
fredx181 wrote:There is a Stretch Dog beta version here, btw (in case you haven't seen):
Not so stable, forgot to mention about a (big) bug:
Booting from FAT32 using porteus-boot doesn't work with that version.
Fixed now for when making a new build though.

Fred

rodiontw

#631 Post by rodiontw »

fredx181 wrote:@rodiontw
fredx181 wrote:There is a Stretch Dog beta version here, btw (in case you haven't seen):
Not so stable, forgot to mention about a (big) bug:
Booting from FAT32 using porteus-boot doesn't work with that version.
Fixed now for when making a new build though.

Fred
Thanks for mentioning. It`s also happening with the TrinityDog.

fredx181

#632 Post by fredx181 »

rodiontw wrote:Thanks for mentioning. It`s also happening with the TrinityDog.
Yes, of course, thanks, I was too much focused at this project, see here for fix for TrinityDog, which also works with StretchDog32 :
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 201#969201

Fred

rufwoof

Re: Debian 9 Stretch minimal ISOs would be appreciated

#633 Post by rufwoof »

mikeslr wrote:the Forum uses an old version of phpBB. As I understand it, there are significant limits to how much it can be modified. While it would be nice if 'the Dogs' had their own SubForum, that's up to the Maintainer and Moderators.
Gone way beyond a simple modification. Easiest option might be to just rebadge (forum header) as a "Linux Discussion Forum". Moderators and Maintainers for whatever reasons opted to permit the current arrangement, such that its increasingly a tumbleweed Puppy forum with many having moved on.

Pelo

Devs are searching a quiet place to work

#634 Post by Pelo »

Linux devs are going to come and take the place. They do that everywhere. Puppu luvr had to prohibit them entering Puppy Linux Facebook.. These guys have they own fora, Ubuntu, Debian, Antix..
Dogs are different.. They are here to be helped by ideas from our Speedy Puppy to get Debian light for CDs. It could not be a Brexit, Debian now provides all of packages needed by Puppy. It would be unfair.
However, if Dogs 'aficionados' post on Puppy topics, they must welcome Puppy passengers as Pelo when he feeds back that application is working very well, or working bad (rare)

You want to develop quietly, without disturb. Some develop at home, alone. A forum (latin word) is not a place to work it's a place to meet together, Vendors, buyers, and customers, and visitors.
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :!: Il will delete Linux, me, personnally, because people believe it's a Linux school ! It' not because my car is a Ford that all Ford employees can enter it.

Personally never i asked somebody to get away, because the world is done of people not similar. Only dictators try to kill the differences. Some of you are trying to get their own law applying here. But their laws are different between them, and it's a boxing area. Not between passengers, frightened by the high Linux level, but between devs, who are more and more.figting their colleagues projects. You can look, i taste without considering who is the cooker, i need applications for my computer, how they are made, i don't care.

stretchystretch

#635 Post by stretchystretch »

I have a problem with Nvidia driver (340xx). When I add it to the firmware list, X is unable to start and all I can see is black screen after boot. When I build the ISO without it and try to install it later, Synaptic can't find and update initramfs, so the driver can't work. Any thoughts on that?

fredx181

#636 Post by fredx181 »

Hi stretchystretch
I have a problem with Nvidia driver (340xx). When I add it to the firmware list, X is unable to start and all I can see is black screen after boot.
I can't test with nvidia, but what you can try is booting with 'live-boot' (initrd = initrd.img) and see if that works
(probably a shortcoming of the 'porteus-boot' option, don't know if you tried that only)
When I build the ISO without it and try to install it later, Synaptic can't find and update initramfs, so the driver can't work.
To build new (updated) initramfs after installing nvidia driver, in terminal:

update-initramfs -t -c -k $(uname -r)
Then you'll find it in /boot , rename to initrd.img and copy to frugal install 'live' folder and reboot (again, use the 'live-boot' method).

Hope this helps, otherwise someone else who knows more about drivers (than me) may help ?.

Fred

rodiontw

#637 Post by rodiontw »

I'm sticking to DD Jessie with Trinity Desktop on my PC and the ChromeDog in my laptop for now. On the Stretch DD's my PC's USB WiFi adapter is not working properly -which is sad because I really enjoyed the xfce-jwm desktop- although I downloaded the firmware squashfs (it says that the driver is not able to request connections), but in the Jessie Dogs it's working perfectly (yay!).
Thanks a lot for your work Fred, and everyone else involved in this project.

zagreb999

Xubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark)

#638 Post by zagreb999 »

regards...

why not to create
Xubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark)?

...as xenialdog...

thanks.

fredx181

#639 Post by fredx181 »

Support is only until July 2018
Support lifespan

Ubuntu 17.10 will be supported for 9 months until July 2018. If you need Long Term Support, it is recommended you use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS instead.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes

Fred

rufwoof

#640 Post by rufwoof »

rodiontw wrote:I'm sticking to DD Jessie with Trinity Desktop on my PC
Remember that have been able to do similar in native Debian for a long time (for instance http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 6ef#p93201 or https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175592616/). Part of the appeal of Debian is that you can source from just their Main repository and if your hardware supports that then that is very stable and secure. Running browsers or other internet facing programs as root isn't a good policy, as user you can't even mount drives let alone corrupt or reformat them. I use pure Debian Jessie along with jwm and pcmanfm and configure that to be much like Puppy and all based on Debian Main repositories only. Whilst I have live-boot installed I tend more nowadays to boot as though a full install, but where I can make a sfs of that installation and boot it puppy frugal style if I so desire (useful for testing purposes and not saving the session). mklive is just a hash of what is already provided/supported by Debian along with puppy type scripts added in to the options of things that can be installed ... and that installs bad security practice (running as root).

As part of puppification of Debian you can set it to 'trim the fat' as per puppy (locale-purge), and only install required dependencies (and avoid installing recommended). When setup that way the sizes of pure Debian or DD's is comparable (similar to Puppy Linux), at least when measured on a like for like basis.