aspire one puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
thermophilus

#61 Post by thermophilus »

Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

girello

#62 Post by girello »

No, it doesn't work, I have already try twice or three times. Or to be more precise it works in a very strange way: the fan stops for 5 second, then starts again at the maximum speed (and noise) but only for 1 second, after that stops again and so on. It is impossible to work like that, I think it depends on the bios' version: when will there be an upgrade/modify on acerfand??

Haggis-AOA

#63 Post by Haggis-AOA »

Bring up a Terminal window and then
Type su - and your password when prompted.

Now type cp /home/user/Downloads/acerfand /usr/local/bin , assuming /home/user/Downloads/ is where your files were downloaded to.

Now type cp /home/user/Downloads/acer_ec.pl /usr/local/bin

Next, in Terminal still, type chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/acerfand

Next type sudo geany /etc/rc.local , replace geany with your text editor.. add /usr/local/bin/acerfand at the end of the file, then go to File then Save then close it down.
Reboot your Acer.

arvacon

#64 Post by arvacon »

iscraigh
PostPosted: Yesterday, at 12:21 Post subject:
Ok here it is

ftp://puppy:puppylinux@ftp.servage.net/ ... 410-27.iso
Hello friend,I tried to download your file,but the link doesn't work.Can you upload this again?

thanks

PS. Do you know which is better file system for the puppy, ext2 or ext3?
I am using a compact flash card for ssd,so it is faster than the clasic ssd,but I dont know what file system is better for this..

girello

#65 Post by girello »

Haggis-AOA thanks for trying to help me. I did all you wrote in your last reply but it still doesn't work. It simply doesn't work. Probably because of the bios's version it looks as if acerfand is not able to recognize and control the fan at all. Once I tried to modify the acerfand file with my text editor, gedit, and changed the values of the bios' version, replacing everywhere "3304" with "3307", of course my version: only in that occasion I noticed that acerfand seems to work but with the strange behaviour I described before.

:shock:

tempestuous

#66 Post by tempestuous »

As well as acerfand, there's a second approach using perl scripts. See my comments about the Aspire One's fanspeed control here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 716#254716

Also note Ted Dog's comments (2 posts further down) about some versions of the AAO having very loud fans. It sounds to me that early versions may have had heat problems.

nitrobanshee

#67 Post by nitrobanshee »

Great work I got my wireless working with the pci=noacpi on a USB drive, but what confused me was you said to replace acpi=off with pci=noacpi. The acpi=off was not there so I just added the pci=noacpi line and my wireless works now. As far as the fan issue, My fan sounds normal as if I was running winblows. I quess that this is a issue with a older AAO and not the newer ones.

tofi

Still no WEP

#69 Post by tofi »

...but I'm sorry WEP encryption is still not working on the new iso.

iscraigh

#70 Post by iscraigh »

strange I have tested wep on 2 routers. Can I get some feedback....
Wep working or not
WPA working or not

Craig

tofi

#71 Post by tofi »

My Network is found after scanning, but its quite impossible to connect after inserting the WEP key.

iscraigh

#72 Post by iscraigh »

My Network is found after scanning, but its quite impossible to connect after inserting the WEP key.

Just to verify, you have changed the tick box from open to restricted under security?

Craig

tofi

#73 Post by tofi »

Tried both open and restricted under security, but neither works.
Plus: "running dhcpcd" and gets an ip address, but no connection is made.
But connecting to an open network (with no key) works.
Also connecting to network via cable works.
I have to add that Pupy looks very nice and works fast pn the AAO.
It is a kind of Slackware, isnt it?

Haggis-AOA

#74 Post by Haggis-AOA »

WPA2 works iscraigh
EDIT:
Just edited using WEP so something must be wrong with your network setup tofi

tofi

#75 Post by tofi »

Very strange. Causethe wireless works in Ubuntu on AAO and on my other laprop.

In Puppy also trying to set up from command line gives error:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 key 12345
Gives this error message:
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) invalid argument "12345"

iscraigh

#76 Post by iscraigh »

I don't think a wep key can be that short.
Are you sure it is not wpa?
12345 could be used to generate a wep key try the hex equivilant

Perhaps puppy cannot use the ascii paswords

Craig

tofi

#77 Post by tofi »

My Key in fact is in this form: 1abcd (one number and four letters)
and it sure is WEP, because I use it when I connect other computers to the network, as WEP.
Could this be something specific for Puppy, that it doesn't accept five characters in the WEP key?

Alley

Thanks

#78 Post by Alley »

Thanks Craig. That took care of much of it. You might want to edit that info into the post with the download link.

I'm still getting the major CPU overuse; which means this thing's running really hot as well. Is that a side effect of the Cairo Dock? If so, can it be disabled?
I also get a crash if I try to add anything manual to the Cairo Dock - it locks up when I click the browse/find file button. Any suggestions? Can I add them manually through a config file?

With NoACPI won't things like CPU scaling be disabled in Puppy? is that why the CPU is thrashing?

200 seems to work for the click setting, thanks.
WPA and WPA2 work perfectly.

Tofi, that short format you're referring to is the ASCII passphrase. Puppy needs the long hex key that was automatically generated by that passphrase. If you can't find that on your router this web site might help you:
http://www.wepkey.com/

TedDog, about $380 for the 160 gig/6 cell, had to order through my CDW rep to get the higher end unit and wait a few extra days. On the other hand, the 120 gig/3 cell version I've seen in clearance at Walmart locally for $245...

tofi

#79 Post by tofi »

Thanks for the tip, but I tried converting to HEX, but it made no difference.

iscraigh

#80 Post by iscraigh »

A wep key must be 64 bit or 128 bit
IE: 10 characters or 26 characters

My conversion was a straight hex conversion
using the wepkey.com site 12345 would be E235485511 or 292BB51BCC etc

WEP was confusing to home users because of the various types of keys vendors used (HEX, ASCII, or passphrase) and because home users mix and match equipment from multiple vendors, all using different types of keys. But WPA-PSK employs a consistent, easy to use method to secure your network. This method uses a passphrase (also called a shared secret) that must be entered in both the wireless access point/router and the WPA clients. This shared secret can technically be between 8 and 63 characters and can include special characters and spaces. The WPA preshared key should be a random sequence of either keyboard characters (upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and punctuation) at least 20 characters long or hexadecimal digits (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F) at least 24 hexadecimal digits long. The more random your WPA preshared key, the safer it is to use.

It would appear your router is one that can use ascii, what model of router is it?
With the correct 10/26 character password you should be able to connect.

Craig