How to install Puppy as the only OS on hard disk?

Booting, installing, newbie
mwelbourne

#61 Post by mwelbourne »

Brilliant, thanks for that. I did a new download of the .iso and used BurnCDCC and this new disk has booted up Precise.

It comes installed with SeaMonkey 2.19 browser - when I gave Youtube a try I got a message saying that Youtube no longer supports this browser

Will there be a browser that doesn't need SSE2 that will still work with Youtube?

Mike Walsh

#62 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mwelbourne:-

There's a version of PaleMoon (27.9.4) - the last of the 27 series - which was specially compiled against SSE-only. Watchdog did a .pet for it, which also included a built-in version of glibc 2.19 (from Tahrpup, I believe), that allows it to run in older Pups, like Lucid and Wary/Racy.

I took a cue from fredx181's 'portable' FF-Quantum, and turned watchdog's .pet into a 'portable'. This means that you can sit it in /mnt/home, by virtue of which it's not occupying 'Puppy-space'; i.e., it's not taking up space in your save-file.

All you have to do is download it, unzip the tarball, then place the resulting 'palemoon32' directory into /mnt/home. You start it with the 'plmn' script inside the palemoon32 directory. By using the script, it sets up your profile inside that directory.....and so long as you always start it with the script, it will always use the internal profile.

The beauty of this is that once it's set-up with profile and everything else, you can copy the palemoon32 directory to other Puppies if you want to, and it will run just the same there.

You can drag the 'plmn' script onto the desktop as a launcher; it's impractical to include a MenuEntry with the .pet, because not everybody will want to place it in the same location. I myself run it from a remote, auto-mounted partition, and it's shared amongst 8 different Pups.

If you're interested, you can find it here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mDsyL3 ... sp=sharing

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for extensions, since this is based on an older version of Firefox (pre-'Quantum'), it can't use the current Firefox extensions, which are now built using the WebAPI format. 666philb (the developer of Tahrpup, Xenialpup, and Bionicpup) found this 'classic' add-ons archive that's been specially put-together for PaleMoon:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 67#1021167

I think the archive's been further updated since Phil first posted about it, but you'll find it on the GitHub link in his post.

Hope some of that helps.

Mike. :wink:

sheldonisaac

#63 Post by sheldonisaac »

Mike Walsh (in part) wrote:.. turned watchdog's .pet into a 'portable'
..download it, unzip the tarball, then place the resulting 'palemoon32' directory into /mnt/home. You start it with the 'plmn' script inside the palemoon32 directory.
Please excuse, Mike Walsh:
I'm using musher0's Xenial 7.0.6 on this Dell E6410
I did as you said, and here's what happened.

Code: Select all

/mnt/home/palemoon32>./plmn 
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/palemoon32/launch: line 5:  1876 Segmentation fault      $LAUNCHDIR/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path $LAUNCHDIR/glibc219/lib:$LAUNCHDIR/glibc219/usr/lib:$LAUNCHDIR/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/X11R7/lib:$LAUNCHDIR $LAUNCHDIR/palemoon "$@"
I think I've seen that "Segmentation fault" previously, but don't know what to do about it.

Thank you,
Sheldon Isaac
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

mwelbourne

#64 Post by mwelbourne »

Thanks Mike Walsh. I'll give it a try. I might have to ask some dumb questions but I'll try and figure it all out myself first.

mwelbourne

#65 Post by mwelbourne »

I'm pleased to say I got it to work. The framerate on Youtube was quite poor though. Is there anything I can do about that (other than use a newer laptop)?

Also, can I add Precise onto the hard drive so it's a choice in the boot menu? Xenial is still on there. When I first shut Precise down I though it had added itself to the hard drive. Maybe I need to edit some text like I did before so that it appears as a choice.

oui

#66 Post by oui »

Gratutlation!

What did you do to success this goal (not all steps, only the main important ones)?

And can you mark the titel of your first message as [solved] please?

To your question:

- if you did install «frugal» you can add a number of different Puppys only limited by the size of your HD (*1

Procedere:

a- start in one Puppy
b- download the next ISO
c- create a new dir for the next Puppy, so as, you propose, /Zprecise
e- hit on the next ISO in rox
f- a new rox window oppens, select the files vmlinuz, initrd.* and all files ending with *.sfs
g- copy then with rox in the new dir, for ex. /Zprecise
h- got to you main menu of Puppy and activate the dos4grub settings routine (if you are using grub4dos) or do equivalent in your other boot loader

finish, restart and enjoy selecting the new Puppy to try it in the boot menu!

(*1 as Puppy works in RAM or reading the overleads on the hd but not have to use the hd to save somewhat, you really can full it really with new Puppy's "until the mouth"! only problem: if you will save data, you have to add for ex. an usb drive / stick / rewriting CD etc.

bigpup

#67 Post by bigpup »

The framerate on Youtube was quite poor though. Is there anything I can do about that
Could see if changing the quality setting of the video will help.
Set to a lower quality setting.

Access the setting by clicking on the video settings icon, on the right bottom of the video window.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mwelbourne

#68 Post by mwelbourne »

oui wrote:Gratutlation!

What did you do to success this goal (not all steps, only the main important ones)?
I downloaded the file as instructed. Clicking on it opened it in the default unzip program. I did 'select all' and extracted to /mnt/home location. I then browsed to that location and clicked on the 'plmn' file

Cant see how to change the thread title to include 'solved'

I will have a go at adding Precise to the boot menu as per your instructions.

And I'll have a go at altering the video settings in Youtube. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how I get on

Mike Walsh

#69 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mwelbourne:-

Glad to hear it worked for you. I've tried to make it all as simple as possible...

-------------------------------

To mark the thread solved, go to your first post of the thread, and click the 'Edit' button. In the editor, just add '(Solved)' to the thread title. Then 'Submit' again. That's the only way we have of doing this; no thread tools here, I'm afraid..!

Mike. :wink: