EmSee-Ultra-2016-iso

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#21 Post by stemsee »

standard puppy user=root password=woofwoof

slavvo67

#22 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Stemsee:

I think that I'm missing something, here. Shouldn't your first post have the link to EmSee-Ultra? The other links you provided further down did not work for me, either. I'm looking forward to trying it, once I find it. LOL

Best,

Slavvo67

stemsee

#23 Post by stemsee »

Hi slavvo67

The link works fine, i just tried it. Select the entire link line then right click and go to

Puppus Dogfellow

#24 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

EmSee-Ultra mirrored.

will hopefully try this in a two gig asus netbook--is there anything particularly unpuppy-like about it (size aside) or does it more or less set up like a regular pup? it's technically debian wheezy? so, does it use apt-get or the ppm or both or...?

do you recommend full or frugal?

i could also try it out on a 64 bit 1.8 gig tower with twice the ghz rating--do you think there'd be much performance difference between the two?

this one's got the same music programs loaded as the earlier releases?

sorry for the inquisition/thanks in advance

l0wt3ch

#25 Post by l0wt3ch »

Dang it!

I meant to download EmSee-Ultra, but accidentally got EmKay-Ultra instead, and now I'm a mind-controlled sex slave for the Illuminati.

infromthepound

#26 Post by infromthepound »

I downloaded and tried today.
When I got past the login, it went to a blue screen with a mobile curser.
There seems to be no way to get any further. Amy clues?
Jb

stemsee

#27 Post by stemsee »

@I0wt3ch
lol...

@infromthepond

that is the correct screen, then it should load another puppypin with icons. try ctrl + Alt + F3 and login root woofwoof then run xorgwizard.

Or even try 'rm -f /root/.jwm'
or 'rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf' followed by xwin openbox or xwin jwm

good luck!

What specs your machine?

stemsee

#28 Post by stemsee »

@Puppus

Thanks for hosting.

It does have apt-get but it would want to install a lot of stuff before it is stable. ppm is better. I only ever used it as a frugal (my favourite for portability). Should full-install fine! Try it and report back.

"between the two."? What is the other machine?

Yes, same audio progs! It is basically an update, but with some of the base system updated, and added apps listed in first post, as well as updated kernels and scripts here and there tweaked. I am actually really loving using Popcorn-Time on it, and chrome-cast to bigger monitor. It can also receive chromecast vids from phone. Android unified remote works great too. Just install same to android phone.

Do you think I should remove the audio apps?

sonny

#29 Post by sonny »

I logged in, then i got a black screen with a cursor. But, my computer was locked up at that point. I got the same results 4 or 5 times. :(

stemsee

#30 Post by stemsee »

hi sonny

what graphics chip is your system?

sonny

#31 Post by sonny »

I've used some of your other spins with success. My hardware is old. Its a 2.4 Intel p4 with a gig of ram. I used puppy installer & unetbootin to install to a 8gb usb sandisk. I don't have any blank dvd's, that might work. Hopefully someone else will report a successful install...

Puppus Dogfellow

#32 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

stemsee wrote:@Puppus

Thanks for hosting.

It does have apt-get but it would want to install a lot of stuff before it is stable. ppm is better. I only ever used it as a frugal (my favourite for portability). Should full-install fine! Try it and report back.

"between the two."? What is the other machine?

Yes, same audio progs! It is basically an update, but with some of the base system updated, and added apps listed in first post, as well as updated kernels and scripts here and there tweaked. I am actually really loving using Popcorn-Time on it, and chrome-cast to bigger monitor. It can also receive chromecast vids from phone. Android unified remote works great too. Just install same to android phone.

Do you think I should remove the audio apps?
will hopefully try this in a two gig asus netbook [...]i could also try it out on a 64 bit 1.8 gig tower with twice the ghz rating--do you think there'd be much performance difference between the two?
the tower's a gateway that reads about two hundred meg ram fewer, but it's got a clock speed of 3.40 to the 32bit asus's 1.6 or so. the tower's older, but they're both duo cores or dual cores--they've got two cores and i don't know who owns what term or if that's an issue--got rid of stickers when i switched to puppy, but i think one's intel and the other amd. anyway, too lazy to go to one, can't get to the other at the moment, but i'm sure they've both got fairly old and creaky graphics hardware and sound cards. also some shattered plastic and a lot of dust.

if the audio apps question was in fact directed at me at not l0wt3ch, yes, you most definitely should keep them.
:D

your audio stuff was what attracted me to your releases in the first place, but since that asus is old and about to implode (it shrieks and wails at times, squeaks when at rest) or at best soon wear out its welcome (fan drowns out the squeaking, but i'm the only one fond of that noise), i figure making it a movie machine and throwing it in a drawer may be an option down the line, so now i have even more of a reason to try one of your releases.

i'm planning on upgrading all my machines and am at the moment set on using this and april64 on two of the four. thing is, the longer i wait, the better the upgrade choices seem to get. development keeps marching on and i'm not particularly dissatisfied with the stuff that's old and in hand.

:?

anyway, as usual, your spin seems really promising and completely packed with goodies.

infromthepound

#33 Post by infromthepound »

stemsee wrote:@I0wt3ch
lol...

@infromthepond

that is the correct screen, then it should load another puppypin with icons. try ctrl + Alt + F3 and login root woofwoof then run xorgwizard.

Or even try 'rm -f /root/.jwm'
or 'rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf' followed by xwin openbox or xwin jwm

good luck!

What specs your machine?
Thanks, Stemsee.
It worked, I obviously had not left it long enough.
The computer is one I had given AMD 245 with 1G RAM and no hard drive,
JB

gcmartin

#34 Post by gcmartin »

Test Emsee-Ultra. I like the many multimedia tools and useful subsystems in this distro. Reduces a lot of search time with many OOTB packages.

Before beginning, let me say, that I found this message to be of concern. I think this is trying to link to your personal profile. You may want to investigate. This occurs after initial boot and attempt to open Chrome. In my case I abandoned opening Chrome for fear of making an inadvertent access of something.
Here's my results after download and burn
  1. Booted EmSee-Ultra and running from its DVD
  2. Setup FirstRUN
  3. Setup LAN
  4. Setup a folder for Sharing content to the LAN

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75
Memory		: 3782MB (952MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: EmSee - Ultra
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Tue 31 Mar 2015 08:07:19 PM EDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Unknown
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Sleep Button
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 Video Bus
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 ENE eHome Infrared Remote Receiver
 MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (ene_ir)
 HP WMI hotkeys
 PC Speaker
 N-Trig Pen
 N-Trig Touchscreen
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
 HP Webcam
 N-Trig Pen
 N-Trig Touchscreen
-Printers (CUPS)-
Canon_MG3200_series		: <i>Default</i>
CUPS-PDF
-SCSI Disks-
ATA TOSHIBA MK5055GS
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20L
Generic- Multi-Card
One issue is with SAMBA that can be seen if you review the following commands

Code: Select all

# samba -V
# smbclient -U% -L localhost
There is some discrepancy with version numbers. And, the following exhibit further issues. SAMBA current security release is version 4.2+
Hope info is useful. If any additional needed, ask.

Excellent distro and features.

stemsee

#35 Post by stemsee »

Seems the remaster wasn't thoroughly clean or set to neutral! I forgot to delete my google chrome profile! Nevermind I changed all my passwords. Thanks for the heads up.

stemsee

#36 Post by stemsee »

Presently I am running an updated version of Emsee-Ultra, with GPPtP, Telegram Messenger, slocate-GUI, SRS-5.1, Nicons-3.7, Blender-2.74, kernel-3.19.3

The iso is triple boot: 3.19.3-pae, 64 and nopae/smp.

azami

#37 Post by azami »

Login????
Password?????

stemsee

#38 Post by stemsee »

standard puppy user=root password=woofwoof

stemsee

#39 Post by stemsee »

I am tempted to release an update with kernels 4.0 pae & 64

azami

#40 Post by azami »