Recording wav files from LPs

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

Sometimes i think that between us loyal puppy users we cound come up with some neat applicatins. I'm a bit bogged down in truly unexiting business software but am looking forward to turning my attention towards more interesting subjects.

As far as mhWaveEdit is concerned it seemed to have a habit of leaving large temp files dumped everywhere...audacity is better house trained but I only get reliable performance out of the stable 0.2 series (pet needed).

from my experience bit of juicy scripting can produce wonders...a bit of polishing of my feeble attempt could be just the ticket .....linux runs on command line apps so connecting them with a gui world is worth the effort

mike

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

A picture of wiakrecord from its home site is here:

http://wiak.org
looks neat :)

Well I had a play on 4.12 with alsa 1.0.20 ...arecord gives the same version and still ok...odd...the command line you gave will fail as it is calling for a sample rate that the sound card may not support...the full line is ok....so still a mystery.

I did fiddle and add a pause function...seems to work ok...ignore the weird gtkdialog layout ...its the best I could get..I don't think it like markup too much :D

mike

ps forum notifications are erratic ... I keep missing replys.
Attachments
Simple Recorder with Pause Function.tar.gz
More crude scripting :)
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 225 times

PaulBx1

#23 Post by PaulBx1 »

I was going to try wavrec but got this error:

Device or resource busy:
Opening audio device /dev/dsp

Interestingly, I could record with that simple "recorder' script. Anyone guess why wavrec doesn't work? (The machine is a Sony VGN-C140G)

I am a rank newb at this. I'm also wondering how to set the appropriate input levels, to get the highest volume without clipping.

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

/dev/dsp will not work if anything else is using audio..a limitation of oss...alsa does not have this problem whivh is what the simple recorder uses.

As for levels...its trial and error unless you use an application with level meters.(or Spdif)

mike