Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 03:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Recording wav files from LPs
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Brian Prewett

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 07:29    Post_subject:  Recording wav files from LPs  

Hi All, I am new to Puppy and I like it.

I have been working through my LP collection and saving them to wav files using Windows. Is there an app in the standard Puppy that will record a wav file from Line In on my Creative Xi Fi sound card ? I am not sure about installing extra apps yet.

Thanks in advance . . .Brian
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 08:40    Post_subject:  

The standard command line audio recorder in linux is "wavrec."
A google search will provide the greatest amount of info.

Wav files can be played by dragging the file to the player (gxine?).

If playing back with "wavplay", they can be stopped with "killall wavplay".

A little help from within Puppy:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=5938#5938

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

davesurrey

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 10:10    Post_subject:  

Hello Brian,
Welcome to Puppy!

Over the last few years I have converted my Vinyl, Philips compact cassette, RDat and MiniDisc collections plus over 1200 CDs and the one thing I learned was to plan ahead.

It takes a great amount of time and you want to get it done right first time, eg what format to rip to and what if any compression to use. But I guess you know that already.

I see that you say you are not sure about installing extra apps yet. You didn't say what version of Puppy you are using but if it's the latest official version then there doesn't seem to be any GUI based app as standard. So using the command line and wavrec may be your only option.

I'd have a quick look to see if that's what you feel comfortable with perhaps by going to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=5938

Alternatively, if like me you want to rip, convert to WAV, and then edit and perhaps clean up the recording for noise and clicks, then you may need something more like Audacity.

I have to say I've never used it on Puppy but if you are interested then you will have to download the required pets...much easier than you may think.

Again I suggest you have a look at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35225

If you feel this is a lot of trouble then please remember that IMHO (and a lot of other folks') one of Linux's weaker parts is multimedia. But it does have so many other strengths that make it worth sticking with.

HTH
Dave

EDIT:
Just seen a new version of Audacity which may be simpler for you to install if you go down that route.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35225
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 22:12    Post_subject:  

Attached is a 'simple as yer get' gui recorder script...will record as wav or mp3...make sure the mixer is set up first...space bar sets the capture input
Extract and click on it to run....
mike

edit
added fancy version
recorder.tar.gz
Description  Newer fancy version with vu meter and non refreshing gui
gz

Download 
Filename  recorder.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.09 KB 
Downloaded  173 Time(s) 
simple_recorder.tar.gz
Description  original version
gz

Download 
Filename  simple_recorder.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.1 KB 
Downloaded  277 Time(s) 

Edited_time_total
davesurrey

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 07:01    Post_subject:  

Very nice script Mike. Is it yours?

Not sure what it's using but I see it stops at 196kbps highest bitrate. If I dived into the script and added to the selections 256 and 320kbps do you think anything would stop that working?

Cheers
Dave
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 13:03    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Not sure what it's using but I see it stops at 196kbps highest bitrate. If I dived into the script and added to the selections 256 and 320kbps do you think anything would stop that working?

probably.....whatever lame will handle..I think I just chose some common values that we use

mike
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 06:51    Post_subject: arecord ... | lame .... not working on Puppy 4.3.1  

mikeb wrote:
Attached is a 'simple as yer get' gui recorder script...will record as wav or mp3...make sure the mixer is set up first...space bar sets the capture input
Extract and click on it to run....
mike

Not sure if it is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong, but I couldn't get this program to work on Puppy 4.3.1

I wondered if you have tried it there.
I set up alsamixer okay (and confirmed it worked by installing sox and using the utility 'rec' provided sox to record). But with your recorder script I just received a terrible noise! I also tried piping alsamixer through lame (various options for different bit rates etc) at the commandline, but still just the ... noise...

arecord try.wav

on its own works fine, so I'm left wondering if Puppy 4.3.1 lame is functioning correctly.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 06:57    Post_subject:  

I have now taken the okay try.wav and tried:

Code:

lame -V2 try.wav try.mp3

Then

aplay try.mp3

but again the result is just terrible noise.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 09:55    Post_subject:  

Have you tried mhWaveEdit (I don't remember where I got it and I don't have time to research it. I think it's available from Puppy's package manager. If not, you might find it in the Additional Software section.)
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 09:59    Post_subject:  

Terrible noise usually means endidness....ie the bytes are the wrong way around....cdr uses one way wav uses the other...there are options for this ...look up arecord --help...I'm guessing the default behaviour has changed in a newer version so I may not have specified it....lame expects little endian I believe..eg wav .
My script is very simple ..I'm sure you will see what it is doing....and no I havent tried 4.3 yet...too many other things to do Smile

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 10:23    Post_subject:  

hmmm I did not add -t wav when piping to lame but its a raw output anyway and -f cd is used.....and your test suggests the problem is in lame too.

From lame --longhelp

-r input is raw pcm
-x force byte-swapping of input

may need specifically setting now

mike
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 18:38    Post_subject:  

mcewanw wrote:

aplay try.mp3

but again the result is just terrible noise.

Sorry, my mistake... I was dreaming... aplay doesn't play back mp3 format! (I was momentarily confusing aplay with sox's "play", a program which does play back mp3 files if sox is compiled for that).

Your recorder script works fine under Puppy 4.3.1 (played back with Aqualung). EDIT: only if I remove the -D option though (see my next post)

Edited_time_total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 19:15    Post_subject: -D hw:$CARD,0  

@mikeb: On second thoughts/try: actually your record script doesn't work on my Puppy 4.3.1 system (a Dell laptop CPx) without a modification (lame works fine though).

I can make it work, but have to remove the following option to arecord:

Code:

-D hw:$CARD,0

I've tried:

-D hw:0,0

and every combination of 0 and 1 for -D hw:x,x

but no go.

Your record script works fine if I simply delete that option altogether.

Running arecord -D hw:0,0 at the command line comes back with the error message:

Quote:

Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
arecord: set_params:974: Access type not available

mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 21:32    Post_subject:  

Ah ha...well perhaps that -D option has changed with the latest alsa...1.0.20 in puppy 4.31. I do remember it was a bit fiddly to get working originally...I will investigate.......its only used to give the option of selecting a second sound card such as a usb one.

I have updated alsa on my notebook so will test out on there.

thanks for the feedback and when I find a universal answer I will post it up.

regards

mike
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 23:19    Post_subject:  

I've used mhWaveEdit to record audio tapes in Puppy, I think from the Line in but it may have been the Mic input, I forget. I saved the recordings as mp3, but as you can see, mhWaveEdit can save them in just about any format you can think of.
mhWaveEdit Save options.png
 Description   
 Filesize   53.96 KB
 Viewed   1032 Time(s)

mhWaveEdit Save options.png

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum