Unable to set wireless or usb broadband.(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
plumtreed

#21 Post by plumtreed »

Twenty minutes ago, I downloaded 4.1.2 to a new disk. I got on the net via mobile broadband and downloaded the 'wl' pet which is described as for my bcm4312 interface. I put it in the root directory and caused it to activate. It reported back saying it was successful. I searched the Wizard's list to find that it had appeared on that list. :D

Only then did I make any attempt to turn on wifi. When I suggested that the Wizard should load 'wl', I was advised that....module wl not found.

There really is nothing in BIOS remotely close to wifi, wlan and so on????

I really appreciate your help because I want to get this running!

aarf

#22 Post by aarf »

Oh yes if you can get your Wifi working in Knoppix 5.3.1 then it probably isnt the madWifi driver that you need because my Wifi doesnt work in Knoppix but needs the madWifi driver to work in puppy. Other puppians will have to tell you which driver you do need.

tempestuous

#23 Post by tempestuous »

plumtreed wrote:When I suggested that the Wizard should load 'wl', I was advised that....module wl not found.
This may be a fault with the way that the Network Wizard handles newly installed modules, or it might just be that you forgot to reboot.
In any case, load the new module manually -

Code: Select all

modprobe wl
then run the Network Wizard and it should show a new network interface, ready to configure.

plumtreed

#24 Post by plumtreed »

Initially I didn't reboot but it did strike me as being a requisite, thinking back on the days of Windows.

I tried your terminal suggestion Tempetuous but I got the same result.....Fatal, module wl not found!

Have I installed the module incorrectly? Do I need to copy it to a certain place?

tempestuous

#25 Post by tempestuous »

plumtreed wrote:Initially I didn't reboot but it did strike me as being a requisite, thinking back on the days of Windows.
A reboot is explained in the forum post where the dotpet is attached.
plumtreed wrote:I tried your terminal suggestion Tempetuous but I got the same result.....Fatal, module wl not found!
Have I installed the module incorrectly? Do I need to copy it to a certain place?
I just checked the broadcom-5.10.27.6-k2.6.25.16.pet now, and it installs correctly, certainly when you click on it in ROX. There's no need to manually copy anything.
When you run this command -

modinfo wl
you should see this -

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko
alias:          pci:v000014E4d0000432Dsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d0000432Csv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d0000432Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d0000432Asv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d00004329sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d00004328sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d00004315sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d00004313sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d00004312sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000014E4d00004311sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:        ieee80211_crypt
vermagic:       2.6.25.16 mod_unload 486 
parm:           oneonly:int
parm:           piomode:int
parm:           nompc:int
parm:           name:string
If not, something serious is wrong with your Puppy installation ... or perhaps you don't truly have Puppy 4.1.1 - maybe you have Puppy 4.1.1-retro? Take note of the kernel version; 4.1.1 has the 2.6.25.16 kernel, 4.1.1-retro has the 2.6.21.7 kernel.

plumtreed

#26 Post by plumtreed »

I have only downloaded from the initial contact point on the Home page.

It appears to be 4.1.2 but considering your statement, I downloaded again. This time I copied to the disk at the slowest rate.

After booting this new disk, the first thing I did was download wl via the Mobile Broadband connection. After 'installing' the pet, I followed the Wizards steps to successfully get on to a wireless connection! Thanks for your help, patience and persistence.

Isn't there always a but? But, despite saving at every possible point, is it essential to install wl on every boot-up. It seems the Wizard needs me to install wl on each occasion. If I don't, I get the 'module not found message'. After clicking the pet for wl I am warned. that it is loaded
However, if I load it again the Wizard will get on with the job and put me on the net :D

I half expect to find both Eth0 & Eth1 'preregistered' on the Wizard after going through the process and saving once.

Any advice? BTW very much appreciate your efforts!!

[/u]

plumtreed

#27 Post by plumtreed »

Very pleased to say that I now have wireless coming up available on boot-up!

Many thanks for your guidance everybody, especially Tempestuous, who, despite his name, was very patient.

rjbrewer

#28 Post by rjbrewer »

Plumtreed

What were the final steps to get it to boot wifi?

Would be nice if you went to your initial post, click edit,
and add "solved" to end of post subject.

Thanks

rjb

plumtreed

#29 Post by plumtreed »

I looked for a 'Solved' bullet but in the end I just typed it in. :?

I would find it difficult to provide anything as formal as a 'How To' but since I wanted to boot from a memory stick/dongle I used the 'Install' icon and followed the steps.

When the 'Flash Drive' booted up I downloaded the wl pet and followed the process to get to a wireless connection. I then shut down and saved to the 'Flash drive'. At the next boot-up via the 'Flash', I found that the wireless Wizard had stored the interface Eth1 and only required the usual steps.

I had previously had to click on the pet to install wl every time I wanted wireless. Sorry, I can't provide anything more specific.