spup-121.02 pre-alpha3 based on 13.37

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Tasgarth

#141 Post by Tasgarth »

Hi Mick,

Your answer came while I was writing the results of my tests
anyway I send what I did, even if it's obsolete.

1) My azerty keyboard with 12 keys (Horizontal):
&é"'(-è_çà)=
1234567890°+

azertyuiop
AZERTYUIOP

qsdfghjklmù*
QSDFGHJKLM%µ

<wxcvbn,;:!
>WXCVBN?./§

And with AltGr Key :
¹~#{[|`\^@]}
æ«€¶ŧ
Last edited by Tasgarth on Sun 08 May 2011, 19:29, edited 2 times in total.

MinHundHettePerro

#142 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:MHHP

Make a you a deal.

I'll do my best to fix the se bug if you fix permissions on your kernel source sfs :wink: {permissions on sfs is a common problem)

Cheers! :)
Seems fair enough :)!

And to emphasise how important my diacritically decorated Swedish letters are to me, I'll even offer another compilation of K2.6.37.6, version -p1, including the kernel headers. Same kernel, same .config (see the readme-file ...).
Since I don't need it myself, there are no additional 3rd-party firmware modules, other than the ones that come bundled with the kernel sources :oops: ...

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

scsijon

ouch!

#143 Post by scsijon »

folks, i'm running on a cobbled emergency system for a ?few days, so will be monitoring only at odd times.

we had a power spike and it's taken most of my systems out, 2 power supplies gone and another three noisy, 3 hard drives dead and two raid sets faulty, five dvd/cdroms and at least 12gig of ram deceised, 1 motherboard with no capacitors left and a couple of other motherboards are suspect. I am considering replacing the lot! I'm not the worst hit, thank god it happened in the early morning and the pub was closed down :roll: !

thank god for memory sticks and backups.

@ttuuxxx, strange size for full qt source as found one of slackwares with the compiled tgz (same revision code as yours) at about 54meg, I wouldn't ming getting a full set when i'm back up anyway. Your three libs is about right in size against my other revisions and I wouldn't worry about quick updates for them as most apps seem to be able to handle quite a number. Revisions are usually for speed improvements and the need for lib bugfixes seem to be rare with qt..

oh well, have fun folks
scsijon

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#144 Post by Lobster »

I am considering replacing the lot!
:cry:
in the UK we have a steady power supply,
I hear of the need for UPS and outages in other countries
and am very grateful. :?

I remember a time when about 5 HD went in a short time frame
and I was running Puppy multisession for a while without a hard disk.

I am not sure what resources are available to you
but DVD and SATA seem better (more reliable, faster) technology
The GPU can make a huge difference.
Mick is planning for 32/64 bit versions of Spup
- now might be the time to go 64 bit . . .

:oops: Gosh, getting quite excited about you getting new hardware :shock: I truly am a total Penguin geek . . .

Can only wish you good luck for the future :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#145 Post by 01micko »

Now, keymap issues.

This is still a dillemma. For the console (outside of X) Puppy reads the keymaps in /lib/keymaps. These are in the initrd.gz so when you assign a PKEYS parameter at first boot your $PKEYS.gz gets loaded with the appropriate console font. These are pre-compiled I'm guessing for speed. Maybe I can edit them with a hex editor but then I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing! This is a legacy bug i think and I will try to think of some decent work around.

Inside of X the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/$YOURMAP file is read and compiled with certain parameters, these are hard coded into Puppy (in our case using shinobar's method) which seems a little more successful than Barry's. This writes to xorg.conf so when there is the weak xorg.conf that we have then this tends to fail if you use a non us keyboard.

How Xorg does it now is with separate config files for each server section in a directory called /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, that is a separate file for keyboard, mouse, synaptics, elantech, monitor, whatever. Ok, so we need to make this more "Puppy" OR we can advance and take advantage of the newer way X.org is doing stuff. At the moment I'm going to take the easy way out and try to build a "proper" Puppy /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

To do this I need to develop some new tools.

One is to properly identify what driver xorg loaded at our automatic boot to X. I think I have that code.

Code: Select all

grep -E -i " connected|card detect|primary dev" /var/log/Xorg.0.log|cut -d ':' -f1|rev|cut -d ' ' -f1|rev|cut -d '(' -f1|tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'
For this it detects "nouveau" for me at pfix=ram. My running system now is with the proprietary nvidia driver and indeed that code returns "nvidia". Some results form some of you will be nice :) .

Two is to properly identify screen resolution and colour depth. This is difficult outside of X so I may put in a startup script that finds the colour depth and resolution with xwininfo. I wish I knew exactly how to do it before X starts.. hmm maybe from the log I'm getting the driver from would be better.... yes.. maybe this..

grep -E -i "pixmap format" /var/log/Xorg.0.log|cut -d ')' -f2|cut -d ' ' -f 2,3
Now res;

grep -E -i "Setting mode" /var/log/Xorg.0.log|rev|cut -d ' ' -f1|rev
Hmmm... that should be enough to sed into a preconfigured xorg.conf (I hope!). And that can be done before X starts.

Hummm... need to fix 'report-video' too, see attached and gunzip and place in /usr/sbin. (don't forget to set it executable). This one uses the above codings.

Have fun :)
Attachments
hacked-report-video.png
(6.2 KiB) Downloaded 1562 times
report-video.gz
(661 Bytes) Downloaded 279 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Tasgarth

#146 Post by Tasgarth »

an online virtual multiple language keyboard emulator :
http://www.gate2home.com/

01micko

#147 Post by 01micko »

French

Online version
²&é"'(-è_çà)=*
azertyuiop$
qsdfghjklmùwxcvbn,;:!
1234567890°+
AZERTYUIOP£µ
QSDFGHJKLM%
WXCVBN?./§
~
#{[|`|`\^@]}
¤

With my keys
²&é"'(-è_çà)= ................... (key for asterisk next row)
azertyuiop^$*
qsdfghjklmùwxcvbn,;:!
~1234567890°+
AZERTYUIOP¨£µ
WXCVBN?./§
¬¹~#{[|`\^@]}
æ«€¶ŧ

MinHundHettePerro

#148 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:Swedish

se+online
§1234567890+´'
åäöpyfgcrl,¨
someone is playing scrabbles blindfolded :shock:.
mine
§1234567890+
qwertyuiopå¨'
completely different :?
Yours looks correct, save for the dead key to the right of +, acute accent and (shift) grave accent, ... need to hit it twice. Apostrophe/asterisk to the right of ä on my keyboard, but that might just be the location of your key, my second row ends with oOœ,pPþ,åÅ,¨^~, <Enter>.

Anyway, se-layout works correctly in X, once the entry is made in xorg.conf.

Non-X console: has worked on and off through the various puppies, there seems to be at least three varieties of the Swedish keymap floating around in Puppy, one of which is correct, one missing some keys, and this one with sigmas instead of å. I used to just copy a correct keymap from an older Puppy, but I have forgotten which :oops:.... I don't think I had to include it in initrd, though ..... but maybe I just dropped out of X to the console, not testing another tty....... memories fading :oops:

hth :)/ MHHP

Iguleder

#149 Post by Iguleder »

Hey micko, would you like some conservative build for 5.3? We had a nice little chat about 2.6.32.x, which is probably one of the best kernel versions ever.

The benchmarks at Phoronix show that this kernel is a very good choice for a conservative build of 5.3, not necessarily a "retro" one.

I made a nice, minimal set of patches (BFS, some backports, fixes) and a build script that automatically patches the kernel to appear as 2.6.32 instead of 2.6.32.x. That's good, because third-party drivers can be built for the first kernel built this way and used later. Also, people who build third-party drivers won't have to recompile them for every kernel update. Neat stuff!

This kernel is supported by Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu 10.4 and many other distros, which means it will be supported for some time. It's good for Puppy's "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" agenda.

At the moment I'm working on the last piece in this "kernel builder", the configuration. It should be good for any 2.6.32.x kernel. :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

MinHundHettePerro

#150 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Iguleder wrote:......... and a build script that automatically patches the kernel to appear as 2.6.32 instead of 2.6.32.x.
Hi, Iguleder :)!
How do you do that? I'd very much like to know. Been thinking along similar lines - am running a RHEL-clone with 2.6.32-xx.yy.z.el6.i686, recently compiled 2.6.32.39 to use in an experimental woof-build, would be squeezey too :).
Care to share :)?

Cheers :)/ MHHP

Tasgarth

#151 Post by Tasgarth »

Hi Mick,
half success, but failure at the end: :(
Test :
I deleted all spups pupsave and sfs.
cd-Live (pfix=ram) > boot 'qwerty' > gunzip fr.gz OK > copy X11/xkb/symbols/pc/fr => it's OK

Personalize Settings (azerty, Europe-Paris, fr,Numlock checked UTC unchecked).....> azerty is OK (Geany) BUT ONLY if I don't restart X SERVER.
Time (Local) is bad.

I get ' azerty' if I don't restart X server and again it's bad if I reboot.
Impossible to get again 'azerty'. :cry:
Only numlock stays good.

01micko

#152 Post by 01micko »

Hi Tasgarth

I'm pretty sure this is because of the skinny xorg.conf, this is what I'm working on right now.

I'm posting the woof 0setup script I'm using that has bugfixes for slackwares PACKAGES.TXT conversion, mainly for safe keeping. It is mainly of interest if you use woof as it is already in the /root/.packages/ folder in spup-120.
Attachments
0setup.gz
(7.27 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

Iguleder

#153 Post by Iguleder »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:Care to share :)?
Sure, once it's ready! At the moment I'm doing the first kernel build. I've got EZ-Woof lying somewhere close, I'll build a 5.2.5-conservative with this kernel to see if it works :)

The script is quite smart now, it creates a directory named "sources" with a patched, clean sources tarball of the kernel, a directory with all vanilla sources and a directory with all patches used. Users who want just to compile some extra driver can use the patched tarball - the patches and the vanilla sources are for those who wish to learn how things are done :)

The build script creates 3 patches automatically - it resets the version number to 2.6.32, reduces the number of consoles (the kernel default is 8, but Puppy uses only 3 - wastes memory) and reduces the verbosity of the kernel (traditional Puppy hack).

Here's a teaser:

echo "Resetting the minor version number"
cp Makefile Makefile-orig
sed -i s/'^EXTRAVERSION = .*$'/'EXTRAVERSION = '/ Makefile
diff -up Makefile-orig Makefile > ../dist/sources/patches/extra-version.patch
rm Makefile-orig
EDIT: here's a blog post which explains my view and why this is a good idea :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

ttuuxxx

#154 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi Mick

Just wondering when the next release might happen? Since this was was a pre-alpha and with all the fixes/updates already made lol next one should almost be a beta :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

01micko

#155 Post by 01micko »

Hi ttuuxxx
just wondering when the next release might happen?
Hmmmm.. hopefully some time today :) (likely tonight)

I'm posting from the draft for the next right now, and I'm 4/4 for boot to desktop on my machines.. 1 nvidia, 2 intel laptops (one of these a eee-701sd and both with synaptics touchpads working and recorded in a full xorg.conf ootb) and 1 desky with intel brookdale troublesome chipset. 2 to go, old p3 with Vanta graphics and oldish athlon 2100+ SiS onboard graphics.

Also working on if your machine wont boot to desktop then it drops you into xorgwizard instead of the prompt. Still testing that.

And no, it wont be anywhere near beta, as beta implies almost there! (I reckon). There is still plenty to do.

EDIT: Now 5/5... the athlon box (SiS) booted to a desktop but the res was weird, but xorgwizard worked and fixed it :) . I found out why ppp isn't working, libpcap was missing, now I'm online on my 3G modem, so hopefully that fixes aarf's bug.

Now onto the P3.. but when I turned it on (at the mains) my power got knocked out! Hoping it's only the monitor, I have some spares, maybe a spare PSU too.. we'll see.

mavrothal

#156 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:1 nvidia, 2 intel laptops (one of these a eee-701sd and both with synaptics touchpads working and recorded in a full xorg.conf ootb) and 1 desky with intel brookdale troublesome chipset. 2 to go, old p3 with Vanta graphics and oldish athlon 2100+ SiS onboard graphics.
.... :cry:
:D
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#157 Post by 01micko »

Crying because of no Xo mention mav? :cry:

Well now I think xorg is close to sorted (upcoming version) I will do an XO spin in the next week, we'll see how it goes. :D

01micko

#158 Post by 01micko »

Second pre-alpha is out, see main post

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#159 Post by Lobster »

8) Alpha 2 - congratulations, I am in

I used the 'Puppy pfix=ram,nox' option and used vesa and the recommended resolution. It was slow to get in but I have a working desktop. Just to let you know Mick :)

Puppy Linux
Alpha dogs welcome
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#160 Post by Béèm »

This time the 120 didn't run OOTB as the 100 did.
Reboot/poweroff after 1st run did bring me to a black screen and blinking cursor whereas I should have gotten the proposition to create a save file.
The same for CTRL-DEL-BACKSPACE where I didn't get the X prompt.

I took the precaution to run report-video and saw the driver was vesa.

So I did the trick to start with nox.
I could run xorgwizard and the driver chosen was radeon

So for the moment I am up and running.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slack Puppy, version 120.50

Chip description:
oem: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500

Driver used by Xorg:
radeon

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "1024x768"  Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]