PupFlux, PupFluxLite & now PupFlux421

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gawth_slacker

Apologies

#101 Post by gawth_slacker »

I am embarrassed. I just read up some and noticed I did post something similar to this last one.

I will look for the Fluxbox pet pkg and see if I can get barebones to work with it. I think the rox desktop is messing with conky and pcmanfm when I tried it earlier this evening. I dont have alot of time to donate to my research in learning how to configure my own distros so I do ask for help here and there. I was a Slackware user for years but now I am really hooked on Puppy, but love fluxbox from my past usage of it. I will try and keep an eye out for any new PupFlux versions to come out. Thank you very much for your reply and look forward to more of your work! Cheers!

steve_s

Re: Apologies

#102 Post by steve_s »

gawth_slacker wrote:I am embarrassed. I just read up some and noticed I did post something similar to this last one.

I will look for the Fluxbox pet pkg and see if I can get barebones to work with it. I think the rox desktop is messing with conky and pcmanfm when I tried it earlier this evening. I dont have alot of time to donate to my research in learning how to configure my own distros so I do ask for help here and there. I was a Slackware user for years but now I am really hooked on Puppy, but love fluxbox from my past usage of it. I will try and keep an eye out for any new PupFlux versions to come out. Thank you very much for your reply and look forward to more of your work! Cheers!
nothing to be embarrassed about...

Please keep us posted if you do come up with a fluxbox for 4.2.1.

I am considering it but, as always, have a few things going on right now...I am always impressed how this thread still gets attention and I'm pleased that others like fluxbox.

A friend asked me why fluxbox...size? No, not really, as jwm is about the same size. It is more that when i really feel like going into full Linux mode, fluxbox has that kind of feel. I know, that is more in my mind than anything else, but I guess it's just due to past experience...

...I digress. I'll post back if 4.2.1 PupFlux comes into existence...thanks.

**Edit: ok, I'm inspired...I'm starting on 4.2.1 with fluxbox right now...I'll post back with results...

8)

steve_s

#103 Post by steve_s »

Ok, keep an eye out: I've got 4.2.1 set up and running well with fluxbox. I've also already stripped it down somewhat.

...it helps to have already encountered most of the problems when I set up the previous versions of PupFlux. :wink:

Give me a couple of days to clean it up (although I have the menu most of the way that I want it right now), check it for bugs (why did the pegboard do that?!) and refine it.

But I should be posting PupFlux4.2.1 very soon.

8)

gawth_slacker

PupFlux 4.2.1

#104 Post by gawth_slacker »

Awesome! I am excited to hear that you are already and just about done making a new release of PupFlux from 4.2.1. Maybe, if it is not too much trouble, make a stripped down version with no common apps on it such as I suggested a couple posts ago? Screenshot is kewl to have and the same terminal app, the puppy setup menu, etc...but like web browsers gone, chat clients gone, office apps gone, etc. I wonder how small PupFlux would be with just the small convenient apps and no major ones installed. Just a thought but either way, I am on it when 4.2.1 comes out! Thanks and definitely keep moving forward!! I LOVE THIS DISTRO!

steve_s

#105 Post by steve_s »

Ugh!

Well, I've got it refined like I want, got rid of some of the programs via pet-be-gone, went through and tracked down some of those pesky random remaining files after getting rid of those programs, fixed an issue with changing and retaining the wallpaper and have remastered a few times (3 or 4?) but I just haven't gotten it lower than 105 mb...

Man, jwm and icewm are really integrated this go round, so there are some really weird things that have occured that I didn't encounter on the other remasters...got most of those straightened out, though.

So now I think I'm going to have to remove some of the bigger dogs (at least in puppy mind-set) like gnumeric and abiword....

I'll post back...

8)

gawth_slacker

#106 Post by gawth_slacker »

Awesome...I agree, get rid of abiword and gnumeric...blah! Who needs JWM and IceWM anyway at that. Keep it up!

steve_s

#107 Post by steve_s »

PupFlux421

Okay, I have screenshots, but I'll have to post 'em tomorrow, as I gotta go to sleep... 8)

But I wanted to get the iso posted for you folks that are awake while I'm asleep.

95mb's. Moderately stripped down. Puppy based on 4.2.1 but using the fluxbox window manager.

Here is the temporary file, posted a la sendspace:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7laio9

Once again, if one of you is able to and have the bandwidth, would you please help out and post/mirror this iso.

I got all the odds and ends worked out, it seems...icewm and jwm were integrated much more with this version, it seems.

I had an issue with pmount, couldn't get it to work right; please feel free to figure it out for us...I have no problem mounting stuff the "old school way" but some like pmount....

Like I said, screenshots coming tomorrow...everyone have a good night... 8)
Attachments
pupflux421-iso-md5sum.zip
(223 Bytes) Downloaded 456 times
Last edited by steve_s on Fri 24 Jul 2009, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

steve_s

#108 Post by steve_s »

As promised, here are screenshots for PupFlux421

...all wallpapers that come from a friend of mine that happened to take some great shots of the Washington state area...in addition, thanks to forum member Lemonade_Jo for the great Puppy wallpaper (from the Puppy Wallpaper thread).
Attachments
rusty-lake.jpg
(42.79 KiB) Downloaded 1563 times
mean-puppy.jpg
(43.11 KiB) Downloaded 1536 times
coastal.jpg
(75.64 KiB) Downloaded 1540 times

brymway

#109 Post by brymway »

Looks great. I too am playing with fluxbox. It is nice to be free of the windows and mac look. I don't understand why people have vista and xp themes on Linux. Keep up the good work.
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

steve_s

#110 Post by steve_s »

brymway wrote:Looks great. I too am playing with fluxbox. It is nice to be free of the windows and mac look. I don't understand why people have vista and xp themes on Linux. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! 8)

brymway

#111 Post by brymway »

Here's my latest Flux desktop.

steve_s

#112 Post by steve_s »

brymway wrote:Here's my latest Flux desktop.
...nice!

You know, when i first encountered fluxbox I was like, um, there's nothing there! But the desktop has such a unique look all tied into the wallpaper that you don't really encounter with any other window manager...over the years I've seen some really cool stuff done with fluxbox...

...forum member trapster is another big fluxbox person and he (? probably...) is always throwing out some good desktops...

Anyway, nice work!

brymway

#113 Post by brymway »

I like that it's so easily configurable. The language on the menu script is simpler than jwm. Lots of options in the menu without having to open up a control box. And it's not a windows clone.

brymway

#114 Post by brymway »

Trapster where did you get the Fluxbox wallpaper?

trapster

#115 Post by trapster »

I can't remember exactly. Try http://www.deviantart.com and search fluxbox.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

gawth_slacker

posting visible screenshots

#116 Post by gawth_slacker »

I dont usually do forums and this is the most I have ever involved myself in a forum but this forum is something I really feel drawn to. If someone would like to just explain to me how to post visible screenshots like the ones Steve did for his FluxPup 4.2.1 I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!!

steve_s

Re: posting visible screenshots

#117 Post by steve_s »

gawth_slacker wrote:I dont usually do forums and this is the most I have ever involved myself in a forum but this forum is something I really feel drawn to. If someone would like to just explain to me how to post visible screenshots like the ones Steve did for his FluxPup 4.2.1 I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!!
there is an mtpaint screenshot capture program under graphics. It even lets you delay for a set amount of time. You can then create the picture and do whatever you want to it. The ones I posted are 600x400 and I think that is the max size for them to show up like I did.

Also, this thread here is one for posting your pretty shots of cool stuff, overall. If you just want to harp on the fluxbox'edness (is that a word? :wink: ) then you can post in this thread, but the true picture comparisons are done on that one... 8)

steve_s

#118 Post by steve_s »

Oh, and just fyi: I have used MANY other linux's out there, but this forum is one of the main reasons I've stayed...the people here are just great. 8)

steve_s

#119 Post by steve_s »

Okay, since there has been at least a little interest (or so it seems) in the latest version of PupFlux I wanted to at least ask one more time: is anyone able to mirror this? If so, please help by hitting that temporary link that I posted above and downloading from there...

...just don't know how long that site holds links and am worried that it will expire and that someone will ask me for this...

...okay, I've done my part and at least asked. Thanks 8)

James C

#120 Post by James C »

I downloaded PupFlux 421 a few days ago and you did another great job.

A lot of people use Fluxbox so I hope someone helps with mirroring your puplet.