TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
darry19662018

#241 Post by darry19662018 »

For those interested Tazpkg manual available here.
http://doc.slitaz.org/en:start

wiak

#242 Post by wiak »

darry19662018 wrote:For those interested Tazpkg manual available here.
http://doc.slitaz.org/en:start
You have to hand it to them... Slitaz has pretty good documentation, well-organised website, and quite reliable package management. Puppy is like anarchy in comparison! ;-) Some like that.

Luckily Puppy has this still active forum, which, to some extent, compensates for relatively sparse documentation, albeit at the cost of huge amounts of user how-to-do-it searching time. At least the continuous question/answer methodology of the forum eventually creates tons of Puppy 'experts' who are on here most every day. I sometimes think there are too many, often differing(!), answers to questions though... One thing for sure, a forum like this is certainly a bit less boring than straightforward docs...!! :-)

Drawback is that Slitaz provides many nice wee utils of its own that often duplicate what Puppy users are used to. It's a drawback in the sense that Puppy experts don't know these alternative tools often, so unnecessarily will install Puppy equivalents. No harm in that of course, but in terms of running, TazPup is really Slitaz, so people adopting this 'Pup' are really adopting Slitaz since the underneath Puppy bootstrap booting/saving facilities are pretty much hidden and irrelevant to the user. But nothing wrong with Slitaz or learning it (similarly for Dogs and debian of course) - a bit mind-broadening never harmed anyone I'd say.

I would like to see Puppy itself becoming a bit more organized though because development of a distribution is probably better via some kind of leadership team, or is Puppy development basically complete and just a matter of adding new variants to woof-CE or via remastering??! Yet another test for Puppy in terms of branding and unique signature... a nice development for Slitaz though. I could see me adopting tazpup as my small system Linux, that or tazdog - depending how they develop. But then I'll end up packaging for tazpkg and debs (for the full-power Dogs); what about pets? - re-packaging apps for different distributions is actually a lot of extra work!

Oh well, I like this new product anyway. Just makes me wonder whether to give up on traditional Puppy itself to save already short time. Or is 'hybrid package management' work going to be developed for Slitaz too - problem being diverging too much from pristine Slitaz?

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Wed 23 May 2018, 06:57, edited 5 times in total.

hamoudoudou

Minis distros

#243 Post by hamoudoudou »

Topic Minis distros tazpup added pour les francophones. (Mini Linux). only for translated feedback

Puppy Linux in Hungary has its own topic,and Tazpup HU 4.4
Slitaz 5.0 linux alapu Puppy nagyon kicsi 80MB LXDE ablakkezelővel by pfeco. Mistfire lit the fire :!:
the brains are on hot coals. Dogs join the race..
Attachments
tazpup4.4-lxde.jpg
(49.48 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

wiak

Re: Minis distros

#244 Post by wiak »

hamoudoudou wrote: the brains are on hot coals. Dogs join the race..
Well, HamaPelo, I don't think fredx181 considers tazdog part of any race. And the dogs have used some major Slitaz components now and again in the past; wifibox for a while (and all the Slitaz config files that requires), till it was realised peasywifi was better... tazpanel, and similarly a small mplayer and dabbled with Midori too... I've also expressed my interest in Slitaz itself for a long time and most recently, pre-dating tazpup development, here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 157#990157

In fact I pointed to that link in the second post of this tazpup thread when mistfire asked this:
mistfire wrote:I learned that someone in the forum was combining tiny core linux and puppy. I wonder if someone was attempting to combine slitaz and puppy?
It's not any race that matters, it is the quality of the end result and tazpup is very promising. Hopefully its development wakes up traditional Puppy development a bit too. I certainly haven't seen so much interest in a new development for a long time - tazpup certainly seems to be attracting a lot of active attention for some reason or other... Perhaps it will replace traditional Puppy for many? I'm still waiting on sc0ttman's new package manager to hopefully revitalise Puppy developments since a distribution is only as good as its package management system at the end of the day.

wiak

darry19662018

rar

#245 Post by darry19662018 »

Noticed rar is missing from the repos when try install it and is needed by xarchiver - though xarchiver will work without it.

Available here: Originally Debian package: https://ayera.dl.sourceforge.net/projec ... 0-1.tazpkg

hamoudoudou

but i prefer full Hamoudoudou

#246 Post by hamoudoudou »

wiak people can call me 'Doudou', my short name in civil life.. but i prefer full Hamoudoudou which has a meaning.. many people can understand what it means. It is not a strange name, as Peter is not strange in GB. Sure even avatar are English here.. Pelo is an avatar too. It means 'no named guy' 'people from nowere' in gipsy languages.. don't try to understand foreign languages.. it's a very long way.. foreigners will learn English.. let things as they are..
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 23 May 2018, 10:28, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

Re: but i prefer full Hamoudoudou

#247 Post by wiak »

hamoudoudou wrote:wiak people can call me 'Doudou', my short name in civil life.. but i prefer full Hamoudoudou which has a meaning.. many people can understand what it means. It is not a strange name, as Peter is not strange in GB
Oh, okay, fair enough... I'll just refer to you as Doudou then. Sounds fine to me.

wiak

mistfire

#248 Post by mistfire »

I noticed something weird on installer page of tazpanel. When pristine slitaz is booted the installer page works. But in tazpanel of tazpup does not work, is shows only MESSAGE CORRUPT. I need some help here to fix the /var/www/tazpanel/installer.cgi file

fredx181

#249 Post by fredx181 »

mistfire wrote:I noticed something weird on installer page of tazpanel. When pristine slitaz is booted the installer page works. But in tazpanel of tazpup does not work, is shows only MESSAGE CORRUPT. I need some help here to fix the /var/www/tazpanel/installer.cgi file
I found that it's caused by the symlink sh to bash in /bin
Symlink sh to busybox again and the installer works. (but probably that has other (bad) consequences, I know).
I tried to workaround the problem by changing to #!/bin/ash on top of the installer.cgi script, but that didn't work... :?

Fred

wiak

#250 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:
mistfire wrote:I noticed something weird on installer page of tazpanel. When pristine slitaz is booted the installer page works. But in tazpanel of tazpup does not work, is shows only MESSAGE CORRUPT. I need some help here to fix the /var/www/tazpanel/installer.cgi file
I found that it's caused by the symlink sh to bash in /bin
Symlink sh to busybox again and the installer works. (but probably that has other (bad) consequences, I know).
I tried to workaround the problem by changing to #!/bin/ash on top of the installer.cgi script, but that didn't work... :?

Fred
And this is an other example of the ugly Puppy fudge of forcing sh to link to bash rather than designing base system around Posix-compliant shell only. That is also a problem with Puppy and its bash/gtkdialog app creations generally relying on export -f function exporting whilst gtkdialog uses whatever underlying sh is (so sh has to link to bash for these Puppy apps to work so non-portable...). Gtkdialog apps are tricky to write without that fudge unfortunately and I'm lazy about that too.

Pristine Slitaz, tiny core Linux, and pure Debian all have it right - system sh is not having to be bash (whether bash is otherwise installed on system or not).

wiak

darry19662018

#251 Post by darry19662018 »

Hi Mistfire and all,

I have created a Wiki page for Tazpup here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/TazPup

Gobbi

#252 Post by Gobbi »

I used the last builder , the siltaz-rolling-core .iso and LxPupSc to create a custom-tazpup.iso . I used it under Qemu in Fatdog64 721 , got network working with eth0 wired interface . I even installed some packages ... Nice project !
Big thank's to mistfire and all who contributed to make this new Pup :!:
Attachments
tazpup.jpg
(107.81 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

mistfire

#253 Post by mistfire »

A big thanks to @wiak, @smokey01, @fredx181, @darry19662018, @Terry H, @s246, @don570, @Marv, @hamoudoudou, @peebee, @rg66, @keef, @ally and others for finding bugs and fixes, producing packages, as well as archiving files (right now my google drive free disk space hit at 50%, and for the better continuation of this project the tazpup build kit must be also archived to other repo)

This will prove that puppy can combine with other linux distro.
Last edited by mistfire on Thu 24 May 2018, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

rg66

#254 Post by rg66 »

Builder also worked for me with slacko-6.9.9.9, will test over the next few days. Nice job mistfire!
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

don570

#255 Post by don570 »

I am checking devx from precise puppy 5.7.1
with alpha7
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... _5.7.1.sfs

Report: perl language seems to work....
terminal output....

Code: Select all

slitaz:~# perl -v
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 2 (v5.14.2) built for i686-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int
(with 56 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2011, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

python won't work, but it's not needed....

# python -v
python: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by python)
python: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by python)
python: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by python)

cmake needs some dependencies....

cmake: error while loading shared libraries: libarchive.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root@slitaz:~# which cmake
/usr/bin/cmake
root@slitaz:~# ldd /usr/bin/cmake

/usr/bin/cmake:
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7f2c000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7f23000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7f10000)
        libarchive.so.12 => not found
        libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => not found
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7e48000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7e30000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7cba000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7c9f000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-2.14.1.so (0xb7f2d000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7c71000)
------------------------------------------

gcc seems to work. I compiled mtpaint a day ago

root@slitaz:~# ldd /usr/bin/gcc

/usr/bin/gcc:
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7eed000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7d73000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-2.14.1.so (0xb7eee000)

s243a

Re: puppy_tazpup_4.4.sfs

#256 Post by s243a »

don570 wrote:Modify puppy_tazpup_4.4.sfs

I was able to modify the sfs file in fatdog64 linux using the instructions
that I got from fatdog64 site. This allowed me to add scripts and apps to tazpup without the need of an installer app
but I need to use a version of linux that has mksquashfs.

Get the puppy_tazpup_4.4.sfs from the disk image as explained previously.

Extract the puppy_tazpup_4.4.sfs by issuing this command.
It will create a new directory called squashfs-root containing all the files inside puppy_tazpup_4.4.sfs in the current directory.

unsquashfs puppy_tazpup_4.4.sfs

Modify other files/scripts/configuration files as needed.

Re-pack (re-generate) the sfs by issuing this command:

mksquashfs squashfs-root puppy_tazpup_4.4.sfs -comp xz -Xbcj arm -noappend

Speeking of unsquashfs, Uextract (tazpup version) requires unsquashfs to unsquash an sfs file. It also requires liblz4.so to unsquash squash files.

I did squash in the package manger and installed the related packages. To get the other dependency do a search for lz4 in the package manager.

Terry H

#257 Post by Terry H »

Currently running tazpup alpha 8. Working well, installed deadbeef via tazpkg. I am also running palemoon 27.9.1 from /mnt/home.

My only issue isn't about tazpup itself, but with Midori. I've tried to use Midori over the years, but find it still has too many errors in rendering pages that I may visit to make it usable.

This is just a sample of a couple of websites I've tried recently with Midori/TazWeb Browser which have errors:

cnn.com - This is severe error, locks up when at about 90% loaded and I have to kill the process or wait for non-responsive message.

cbc.ca - This renders the page as unusable.

TazPup is still a great initiative I'm enjoying using, so thanks mistfire. Looking forward to using future releases.

mistfire

#258 Post by mistfire »

Thanks @fred for your suggestion I made a symlink of sh to busybox-pup and the slitaz installer page in tazpanel works. Also puppy core apps still working.

In my latest experiment, pfix=nox boot parameter now works.

mistfire

#259 Post by mistfire »

@Terry H the problem on midori was not on the browser itself but on the webkitgtk engine. It was extremely difficult to compile a new webkitgtk.

rg66

Re: puppy_tazpup_4.4.sfs

#260 Post by rg66 »

s243a wrote:Speeking of unsquashfs, Uextract (tazpup version) requires unsquashfs to unsquash an sfs file. It also requires liblz4.so to unsquash squash files.
I mentioned that here, it obviously got missed. A reminder never hurts.

Edit: Just noticed I was talking about squashfs not unsquashfs, sorry. Anyway, they both need to be added.
Last edited by rg66 on Thu 24 May 2018, 03:01, edited 2 times in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]