TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mistfire

#141 Post by mistfire »

@darry it is not advisable to use psync in tazpup but it has its own time settings and it has ntp daemon (disabled for the meantime).

darry19662018

#142 Post by darry19662018 »

Ok thanks Mistfire.

darry19662018

Uextract

#143 Post by darry19662018 »

I have made a tazpkg of Uextract works well in tazpup.

Remember to remove the gz extension.
Attachments
uextract-3.32.tazpkg.gz
(72.32 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

mistfire

#144 Post by mistfire »

Tazpup Alpha 7 released
* Fixed mime problem
* Puppy device initialization is added
* Fixed searching savefile on linux filesystems
* Menu fixed
* Persistence (snapmergepuppy) might fixed
* ntpd now enabled

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16TauS7 ... sp=sharing

NOTE: Build kit for this version currently unavailable.

wiak

#145 Post by wiak »

There is clearly a lot of interest in this hybrid pup. I'm not surprised - it's a breath of fresh air in developments that were somewhat dull owing to their dependence on bloated Debian/Ubuntu repositories for functionality. I'm not sure what the point is in using a pup for Debian or Ubuntu apps when you can use a similarly sized and featured dog, which has proper dpkg/apt package management. This tazpup project is different though; despite hamapelo's claims Slitaz is similar to original pups in that it builds its own nicely cut down app repositories and seems to have a stable development team doing that complicated build work. So tazpup approach let's us build a pup of size/speed of old whilst levering all the well thought out slitaz utility apps, including their clever use of midori for video playing generally. Ok, so sometimes we might want a more full-featured browser and then we can't avoid the size/resource baggage that brings, but that can be a bolt on sfs only needed when required. Yes, this is a slitaz distribution but with familiar puppy advantages. Its more than just a toy really and certainly really interesting to experiment with in terms of showing an alternative approach to move puppy developments forward. It is fair to say that, I believe it was Saintless, (Toni), explained roughly how to boot up debiandog using puppy kernel and init, which similarly should provide puppy save mechanisms to dogs but with dpkg/apt benefit too. So a dpkg/apt capable puppy could also be created via that approach. Actually, fredx181's dogs do a similar thing albeit using porteus distribution boot mechanisms, which provide save facilities similar to puppy, which straight Debian boot doesn't itself provide. I've personally always liked Slitaz for its elegant efficiency, but it has some issues with save persistence mechanisms and copying too much into RAM, so from my usage needs, I find Tazpup (and also potentially tazdog) a 'better' slitaz, though of course it is always possible to make any version of slitaz look more like a conventional pup. Hybrid is a nice way to go in terms of ultimate flexibility IMO.

wiak (writing from his 'sick' bed so particularly happy an interesting project like tazpup has suddenly appeared - I was already back playing with slitaz on Other Distros'thread so nice this option keeps things moving forward in that respect. Many thanks again mistfire. Which part of PH do you live in?

darry19662018

#146 Post by darry19662018 »

Hey Wiak,

Hope you're up and about soon. Thanks Mistfire for the new release.

mistfire

#147 Post by mistfire »

@wiak you're welcome and get well soon, I live somewhere in Laguna province (thats all my details due to privacy).

If the snapmergepuppy, loading of savefiles from linux filesystem, periodic save session, multisession save, and the buildkit works as well as the system clock. 80-90% were now heading to beta stage of tazpup

Marv

#148 Post by Marv »

Hi mistfire,

snapmergepuppy is working correctly with the full find now in alpha 7 (savefile only checked). Thanks, that makes a huge improvement in useability.

The save session .desktop which calls save2flash in alpha 7 works correctly when running as root. However; when running as Tux, snapmergepuppy does not have the requisite permission to remove /tmp/snapmergepuppyrequest when it has completed saving so it repeats once a second (check the loop in save2flash).

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

darry19662018

#149 Post by darry19662018 »

mistfire wrote:@wiak you're welcome and get well soon, I live somewhere in Laguna province (thats all my details due to privacy).

If the snapmergepuppy, loading of savefiles from linux filesystem, periodic save session, multisession save, and the buildkit works as well as the system clock. 80-90% were now heading to beta stage of tazpup
Wow great mate, just to advise the time issue seems to be fixed on my machine - Dell Studio 1555.

mistfire

#150 Post by mistfire »

@darry I think system time worked correctly if tazpup was online. If you have spare time, can you please test the following:

* Create and load savefile in ext2/3/4 partition
* Persistence in flash memory
* Persistence in multisession cd

mistfire

#151 Post by mistfire »

@Marv I traced now the problem on save2flash. pup_event_frontend_d started at non-root level if the user acccount is not root. So I add sudo to run pup_event_frontend_d at root level for non-root user.

Marv

#152 Post by Marv »

mistfire wrote:@Marv I traced now the problem on save2flash. pup_event_frontend_d started at non-root level if the user acccount is not root. So I add sudo to run pup_event_frontend_d at root level for non-root user.
Good. I'm currently running as root chasing suspend stuff and a save to my EXT2 savefile on my fat32 boot partition is occurring every 30 minutes just as it should with the default event manager settings.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

darry19662018

#153 Post by darry19662018 »

mistfire wrote:@darry I think system time worked correctly if tazpup was online. If you have spare time, can you please test the following:

* Create and load savefile in ext2/3/4 partition
* Persistence in flash memory
* Persistence in multisession cd

I have installed to a ext 3 partition and it is working well with savefile so this is working running frugal.

I'll create the flash memory scenario and get back to you.
Sorry no can do multisession CD.

wiak

#154 Post by wiak »

mistfire wrote:@wiak you're welcome and get well soon, I live somewhere in Laguna province (thats all my details due to privacy).

My wife comes from Leyte.

By the way, the slitaz iso I am using is from http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/rolling/slitaz-rolling.iso, I think...

However that contains rootfs1.gz up to rootfs4.gz and I 'think-but-may-be-wrong' your build script, for unlzma use, needs to either specify extension with unlzma -c -S .gz $1 or to use unlzma -c <$1 (not simply unlzma -c $1).

Either that or I did something wrong in my test (I wasn't actually running your script; just doing my own similar build).

wiak

mistfire

#155 Post by mistfire »

@wiak try to use the slitaz-rolling-core iso. Thats the slitaz iso that I used when I build a tazpup. It has a single rootfs.gz file

You can found that here http://mirror1.slitaz.org/iso/rolling/

On my latest experiment presudo commands is no longer hard-coded to tux. It is now applied to any non-root user accounts.

wiak

#156 Post by wiak »

mistfire wrote:@wiak try to use the slitaz-rolling-core iso. Thats the slitaz iso that I used when I build a tazpup. It has a single rootfs.gz file
Ah, I see, you are using the full desktop version, whereas my experiments are with 4-in-1 (split into 4 rootfsx.gz parts).

Nevertheless, I imagine if you modify your build script to use unlzma -c <$1 instead of unlzma -c $1, it will work more correctly (since rest of your script seemed to assume possibility of several rootfs parts mistfire).

wiak

mistfire

#157 Post by mistfire »

the extract function in the tazpup builder is the same command that I used on extracting rootfs.gz. Adding support for splitted rootfs.gz is better I think or just stick to rolling-core edition.

rg66

#158 Post by rg66 »

Mistfire, can you please do delta as well as ISO? Not all of us have cheap, blazing fast unlimited internet. Also, md5sum would be helpful.

Cheers
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

mistfire

#159 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 I have a very limited access to the internet too. if the tazpup was stable enough. That iso file will be a good starting point and the delta files will be release. MD5 checksum will be also released on beta stage.

Few tweaks to go and the tazpup went beta. It will formally announced on puppy projects section of this forum.

rg66

#160 Post by rg66 »

I noticed that the main sfs doesn't have /etc/DISTRO_SPECS, I'm pretty sure a lot of the puppy scripts need this.

Edit: Never mind, I see the new ISO has it.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]