Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 00:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
TazPuppy Beta 35
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 66 [985 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 64, 65, 66 Next
8Geee

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 17:06    Post subject: A little late but  

I popped Slitaz into my Asus eeePC-900a. Booted right up no problems. I see that the UTC clock "feature" has already been noted, but I can confirm. My guess is that might cause problems with time-stamp for sfs/saves.

At 81Mb quite the potent little pup. Programming Languages quite substantial. Desktop OK, nothing fancy, and I note scalable icons (?). Tossing in even my FF27-configured would substantially raise the iso over 100Mb.

For those who code this is quite nice.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
darry19662018

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 17:10    Post subject:  

I found installing ntp seemed to solve the issue for me?
darry19662018

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 18:01    Post subject:  

I have had more real fun this morning getting some Debian and Pup packages working they are Dejan's Simple GTKradio, gtkam from debian and old Gimp from Puppy(an sfs) tried to get dogradio working but it wouldn't run.

So sorry Hammy/Pelo this distro is a very usuable fun system to use and explore.
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 18:11    Post subject:  

@Marv thanks for reporting the solution on broken snapmergepuppy. I will try to look for a full version of find command. It seems were heading to beta stage. I need to fix the system time issue and the tazpup builder.
darry19662018

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 19:18    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
@Marv maybe your right about time stamp issue on saving session. I noticed that initrd uses localtime, when slitaz run, its uses UTC. So I put a script temporarily which sets the clock to localtime before slitaz environment run. But I need a permanent solution

Hi Mistfire.

Is it possible to put psync from puppy in the next revision as long as gtkdialog is installed this program can be used to alter the time to the correct one?
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 19:58    Post subject:  

@darry it is not advisable to use psync in tazpup but it has its own time settings and it has ntp daemon (disabled for the meantime).
darry19662018

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 20:00    Post subject:  

Ok thanks Mistfire.
darry19662018

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 20:02    Post subject: Uextract  

I have made a tazpkg of Uextract works well in tazpup.

Remember to remove the gz extension.
uextract-3.32.tazpkg.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  uextract-3.32.tazpkg.gz 
Filesize  72.32 KB 
Downloaded  83 Time(s) 
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 20:32    Post subject:  

Tazpup Alpha 7 released
* Fixed mime problem
* Puppy device initialization is added
* Fixed searching savefile on linux filesystems
* Menu fixed
* Persistence (snapmergepuppy) might fixed
* ntpd now enabled

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16TauS73tXdJRmIowWEXV_Wydc9uXIIyK/view?usp=sharing

NOTE: Build kit for this version currently unavailable.
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 21:03    Post subject:  

There is clearly a lot of interest in this hybrid pup. I'm not surprised - it's a breath of fresh air in developments that were somewhat dull owing to their dependence on bloated Debian/Ubuntu repositories for functionality. I'm not sure what the point is in using a pup for Debian or Ubuntu apps when you can use a similarly sized and featured dog, which has proper dpkg/apt package management. This tazpup project is different though; despite hamapelo's claims Slitaz is similar to original pups in that it builds its own nicely cut down app repositories and seems to have a stable development team doing that complicated build work. So tazpup approach let's us build a pup of size/speed of old whilst levering all the well thought out slitaz utility apps, including their clever use of midori for video playing generally. Ok, so sometimes we might want a more full-featured browser and then we can't avoid the size/resource baggage that brings, but that can be a bolt on sfs only needed when required. Yes, this is a slitaz distribution but with familiar puppy advantages. Its more than just a toy really and certainly really interesting to experiment with in terms of showing an alternative approach to move puppy developments forward. It is fair to say that, I believe it was Saintless, (Toni), explained roughly how to boot up debiandog using puppy kernel and init, which similarly should provide puppy save mechanisms to dogs but with dpkg/apt benefit too. So a dpkg/apt capable puppy could also be created via that approach. Actually, fredx181's dogs do a similar thing albeit using porteus distribution boot mechanisms, which provide save facilities similar to puppy, which straight Debian boot doesn't itself provide. I've personally always liked Slitaz for its elegant efficiency, but it has some issues with save persistence mechanisms and copying too much into RAM, so from my usage needs, I find Tazpup (and also potentially tazdog) a 'better' slitaz, though of course it is always possible to make any version of slitaz look more like a conventional pup. Hybrid is a nice way to go in terms of ultimate flexibility IMO.

wiak (writing from his 'sick' bed so particularly happy an interesting project like tazpup has suddenly appeared - I was already back playing with slitaz on Other Distros'thread so nice this option keeps things moving forward in that respect. Many thanks again mistfire. Which part of PH do you live in?
darry19662018

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 21:10    Post subject:  

Hey Wiak,

Hope you're up and about soon. Thanks Mistfire for the new release.
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 21:16    Post subject:  

@wiak you're welcome and get well soon, I live somewhere in Laguna province (thats all my details due to privacy).

If the snapmergepuppy, loading of savefiles from linux filesystem, periodic save session, multisession save, and the buildkit works as well as the system clock. 80-90% were now heading to beta stage of tazpup
Marv

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 21:25    Post subject:  

Hi mistfire,

snapmergepuppy is working correctly with the full find now in alpha 7 (savefile only checked). Thanks, that makes a huge improvement in useability.

The save session .desktop which calls save2flash in alpha 7 works correctly when running as root. However; when running as Tux, snapmergepuppy does not have the requisite permission to remove /tmp/snapmergepuppyrequest when it has completed saving so it repeats once a second (check the loop in save2flash).

Cheers,

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc and upupee for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
darry19662018

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 21:26    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
@wiak you're welcome and get well soon, I live somewhere in Laguna province (thats all my details due to privacy).

If the snapmergepuppy, loading of savefiles from linux filesystem, periodic save session, multisession save, and the buildkit works as well as the system clock. 80-90% were now heading to beta stage of tazpup

Wow great mate, just to advise the time issue seems to be fixed on my machine - Dell Studio 1555.
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 21:35    Post subject:  

@darry I think system time worked correctly if tazpup was online. If you have spare time, can you please test the following:

* Create and load savefile in ext2/3/4 partition
* Persistence in flash memory
* Persistence in multisession cd
Page 10 of 66 [985 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 64, 65, 66 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: