help docs for gimp

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

help docs for gimp

#1 Post by muggins »

following this post, from henry:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14901

i've gotten the gimp docs down from 6Mbytes to 400k+ , using Stephane Peter's makeself utility, to create a self extracting archive, which uses dillo as the default browser.

you have to extract it to / , then start up gimp, select File->Preferences->Help ,then select Web Browser, then make the path point to:

/usr/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/docs

Pressing F1 should then open up the help docs in dillo.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Just a note that the above will work with gimp 2.2.11, but not with 2.3.10. If you've installed gimp 2.3.10 CVS, (see here :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 074&t=9626 )

then instead the two files, docs & gimp-help.xml, have to be extracted to :

/root/my-roxapps/gimp_cvs/share/gimp/2.0/help/en , then the preferences

Web browser to use: changed to:

/root/my-roxapps/gimp_cvs/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/docs

kchance

not working for gimp 2.2

#3 Post by kchance »

This isn't working for me. I extracted the files to / and adgusted the browser as described. On F1, DillO opens and I get a page that says web site can't be found.

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

kchance,

which version of gimp are you using?

the method of extracting to / doesn't work with the latest version, as it installs to:

/root/my-roxapps/gimp_cvs/share/... , rather than:

/usr/share/gimp...

so if you're using version 2.3.10, and you've extracted it to
/, then you have to move the directory folder

/usr/share/gimp/2.0/help to

/root/my-roxapps/gimp_cvs/share/gimp/2.0

( just to check that the wrong path is the only problem, if you extract it to /tmp & then go to /tmp/usr/share/gimp/2.0/help/en & click on the file docs, does that bring up the help docs in dillo?)

kchance

gimp help

#5 Post by kchance »

I extracted gimp-help.tar.gz to /. I pointed the web browser in gimp to /usr/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/docs.
I am using version 2.2.11

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

just a few questions, if you open rox filer, and change directory to /usr/share/gimp/2.0/help/en & then click on docs, does this open the help-file in dillo? also is the other file gimp-help.xml in the same directory?

thirdly, if you right click on docs, select permissions & make it executable, does that make any difference? (i don't know why, but i've sent executable, gzipped scripts, via email, which lose permissions when ungzipped?).

lastly, when dillo pops up with nothing displayed, is it actually dillo, or phv or gtkmoz, because in some pupversions, if you look in /usr/local/bin, dillo is a link to one of these.

kchance

gimp help

#7 Post by kchance »

When I click on 'docs', DillO opens up the same page about can't find web page. gimp-help.xml is in the same directory.

Making it executable does not change anything.

In /usr/local/bin, dillo is a symbolic link to gtkmoz - it looks just like dillo.

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

try downloading & installing mu's dillo pup, & see if it works then:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/Dillo-0.8.6-i18n.pup

if it still fails, pm me & i'll modify the script to use defaultbrowser instead of dillo, & i'll email it to you.

the reason i prefer dillo, to say mozilla or firefox for displaying html docs, is it's quite zippy in comparison.

just as a test, i modified the docs file, using either phv, or gtkmoz, as the internal browser. both only increased the file size by 8kbytes, but unfortunately gtkmoz would give me the same errors you're getting, whereas phv doesn't display the graphics!
Last edited by muggins on Thu 08 Feb 2007, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

kchance

gimp-help

#9 Post by kchance »

OK, I re-installed Dillo.
Now DillO opens but with an error "can't start dpid daemon!"
I wonder if something got broken when I installed firefox.

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

so in /usr/local/bin, you should have dpid, dpidc, dillocfg & dillo, which shouldn't be a link to gtkmoz anymore...is this right?

kchance

gimp help

#11 Post by kchance »

That is correct.
When I start Dillo and start browsing, it disappears (crashes?) after about 20s.

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

if you run dillo on a commandline, in a rxvt console, what messages does it give? also did the directory /usr/local/lib/dillo install ok?

i can't think of anything else at the moment??? firefox shouldn't have anything to do with dillo's operation. you could use Start-->Setup-->Package Manager to highlight dillo, and remove it, then do the same process & select dillo to install & download dillo again from ibiblio...perhaps the first install got broken somehow?

kchance

gimp-help

#13 Post by kchance »

dpid.c:354: register_all: Fatal error :
- Can't find the directory for dpis.
Segmentation fault
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 1
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 2
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 3
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 4
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 5
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 6
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 7
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 8
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 9
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 10
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 11
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 12
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 13
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 14
Capi_dpi_conn_timeout:: try 15
dpi.c: ERROR, can't start dpi daemon

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

there's this, in the dillo FAQ:
Q: After the upgrade I got: "ERROR: can't start dpid daemon!"
The old dpid and some dpis may still be running. Just:

ps aux | grep dpid
dpidc stop
kill <dpid PIDs>
ps aux | grep dpi
kill <dpi PIDs>

kchance

been there

#15 Post by kchance »

Yeah, I saw that but doesn't help. None of those processes are running. Rebooting doesn't help either.

muggins

#16 Post by muggins »

did you try using pup package manager to remove dillo, then to re-install it using either ibiblio, or nluug?

kchance

gimp help

#17 Post by kchance »

Dillo 8.6 from ibiblio failed in the same way. So I tried 8.5 and it works.Thanks!

Is there any way to install the context sensitive help?

muggins

#18 Post by muggins »

because puppy is a sleek, tiny, creature, it often minimises "fat" by leaving out help files for certain programs. when gimp is looking for context help, it's looking for a proper, installed help, (which would be of the order of 4Mbytes+), rather than the gzipped 600k+ file i've uploaded.

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

but i have to say, that it's a good outcome that you finally got it working. i never even considered that it wouldn't work for some people because they didn't have dillo installed, but a link to gtkmoz instead!

i also find it strange that dillo 8.6 doesn't work, but 8.5 is OK.
(for the record i just did dillo -v & got Dillo 0.8.6-i18n-misc as result?)

miriam

#20 Post by miriam »

Muggins, this is a really neat solution. A problem though, is that it loses context sensitive help capability. No matter what you are doing when you ask for help it seems to always start at the front page. Is there any way to pass the appropriate decompressed page?

It should also be mentioned that the complete Gimp help also includes about 900 images which bulk the total size out to around 50MB!!! Removing those often doesn't have much impact on the information in the help, but some of the pages, like those on convolution matrixes, rely fairly heavily on the diagrams to convey meaning (just in case people find themselves stumped at the empty bits in the pure html files).
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]