DebianDog - Jessie - Continued

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
spandey

#161 Post by spandey »

Thanks for looking into the issue. May be what I am doing is not right?

This old intel core2duo PC has 3 GB of RAM but mainly used for web browsing. I have put in a 250 GB SSD to speed things up. I noticed that firefox is writing a ton of cache and other stuff continuously.

So I thought of a using Puppy which will load to RAM and run from RAM. Nothing being written to disk/ssd. In the end of the session save if any changes done or exit without saving.

I looked at the modern puppies and zeroed in on Debianjog jessie. Can you please help me in putting the right parameter for this set up?

zagreb999

installation of VLC

#162 Post by zagreb999 »

dancytron , THANKS!

the problem is that gnome player
opens drives using Thunar.
VLC using /mnt/,
and I can not increase fonts in VLC...
look at screen!
Is it QT or something else...?

fredx181

#163 Post by fredx181 »

Hi spandey,
May be what I am doing is not right?
It is right but I think for what you want, you can do without the copy2ram.

Code: Select all

linux /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
The copy2ram is only needed in case booting from cd/usb to be possible to eject/unplug it.
With the EXIT: option changes are not written to disk , only when you choose so by clicking 'Save' at shutdown (then firefox cache and other changes will be saved/written to disk).

Fred

backi

#164 Post by backi »

Hi spandey !

I think the whole webbrowser working components like /root/.cache/mozilla and
/root/.mozilla are working anyway in ram , without the need loading the whole truckload/apparatus of Deb-Dog to ram .
Only if you save on demand /root/.cache/mozilla and /root/.mozilla it will be saved .
Else not saving during session keeps them in ram .....they will be gone if you shutdown without saving .As fred said there is no real need to copy2ram .

I tried this with my machine which only has 1 Gigabyte of Ram ......no good idea ....
if you have more it will work better.........but i can`t see no need for it ....
I do not often save to Savefolder ....when i do ....before i delete /root/.cache/mozilla and keep /root/.mozilla with all my Webbrowser plugins and configurations .They do work always in ram.

When using Deb-Dog from Usb-stick using the copy2ram option i did remove Usb-stick (my live/save is on this Usb-stick ) so there is anyway no chance anything could be written to something in my case Usb-stick .Don`t know if it did when not removing Usb. Never tried .

dancytron

Re: installation of VLC

#165 Post by dancytron »

zagreb999 wrote:dancytron , THANKS!

the problem is that gnome player
opens drives using Thunar.
VLC using /mnt/,
and I can not increase fonts in VLC...
look at screen!
Is it QT or something else...?
Sorry, I don't use VLC in Linux, so I don't know.

The windows version has skins, probably linux is the same???????

spandey

#166 Post by spandey »

Hi Backi,
No matter what combination I try firefox keeps writing to disk. Only option when firefox is not writing to disk is

linux /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ copy2ram
I may do it all over again and see?

BTW..do you know how to install firewall and libreoffice?

backi

#167 Post by backi »

Hi spandey !

The firewall i use is firewall-puppy from Synaptics.
LibreOffice can be found in Synaptics too .
Will give you some advice .....to get a libreoffice.squashfs ( which can be loaded on demand ......my prefered Method instead of installing such a big bloat like Libreoffice)

there is a quite cool tool ....here we go .....

Menu > Module Tools >AptToSfs.... start it ......
Choose the Place where you want to create the libreoffice.squashfs to ...
type in libreoffice .....type ok ......wait till everything is finished ......the result will be libreoffice.squashfs which can be activated or loaded .

For copy2ram .......cannot follow why you are so obsessed with this option .

I dont use it
Here is my menu.list entry :
title Debian-PorteusDog - changes to /live/ sysvinit
uuid f42926e6-cc2e-43d5-b998-39e1d5cb9380
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=EXIT:/live/ ramsize=100%
initrd /live/initrd1.xz

no savings to flash during session (except if i want to ).

spandey

#168 Post by spandey »

Hi Backi,
I am not obsessed with copy2ram. If I boot without this option whenever i visit a site in firefox the harddisk light starts blinking i.e. it's writing to disk.

I am booting from hardsidk not usb. Thanks for sfs tip. I guess we need better documentation for Debiandog...

backi

#169 Post by backi »

I dont know where to start .....(are you using inbuilt firefoxbrowser ?)

I don`t .........i did downloaded a Palemoon.tar.bz2 .....extracted it as a folder on my Usb-Stick symlinked the /palemoon/palemoon to my /root from where i do execute it ..
when executing Palemoon (without copy2ram ) there is access to my Usb where this whole extracted Palemoon folder is located ......to execute it ....it must have read access to Usb ( results in blinking )

/root/.moonchild produktion (equivalent to /root/.mozilla)
and
/root/.cache/moonchild produktion (equivalent to /root/.cache/mozilla ) are loaded to ram
there is no writing to my Usb during session .....except i want to .
When shutdown without saving .....all my surfing and session activities are lost .

I watched the blinking of my Usb stick while surfing the web with Palemoon ......there are indeed sometimes some activities (blinking ) when surfing web .
So i think this are just reading activities from Webbrowser located on my Usb .
Never encountered any unwanted writings to Usb .
As i said ....maybe this blinking to your Harddisk are just reading activities......
Could be wrong .
Maybe anybody else can explain better .Rufwoof is expert on this .. i think ....
Last edited by backi on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

The Flying Cat

#170 Post by The Flying Cat »

open conky config. which is '.conkyrc-port' or '.conkyrc-live'. copypaste:

${color}${diskiograph_write 10,45 ff5722 f44336 -t -l}$alignr${color}${diskiograph_read 10,45 8bc34a 4caf50 -t -l}
after 'TEXT' line. press Ctrl+S. no reload usually needed. it reloads automatically.
this is read/write indicator - left 'red' is write, right 'green' is read.

${diskio_write}$alignr${diskio_read}
will give info about read write speed, somewhat useful for benchmarking

Moat

#171 Post by Moat »

@ spandey - I always set up my Firefox to run in RAM (and empty it's cache on closing the program) according to this article - might be worth a try to see if that quiets the disc writing/reading going on...

http://lifehacker.com/5687850/speed-up- ... k-required

Bob

backi

#172 Post by backi »

Isn`t /root/.cache/mozilla and /root/.mozilla anyway working in Ram and shutting down without saving will not leave any trace to your live/save folder nothing ....except those settings and content you did save in earlier sessions .........

Another case would be if .cache/mozilla and .mozilla would be on your Hardrive or Usb-Stick and sym-linked back to /root .Then any changes would be written immediately back to your home on HDrive or Usb while surfing the web ....noway to prevent writings to your Hardrive or Usb .

When you are using boot entry like this Porteus Boot :
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=EXIT:/live/
initrd /live/initrd1.xz

There are no writing to live/save during session in this option except when save2flash.

i am quite confused.....why so complicated?

fredx181

#173 Post by fredx181 »

Yes, as backi says, when using EXIT: every file that's new created will be in tmpfs (=RAM) no matter what, if it's firefox cache or copying files to e.g. /root or installing a program, so nothing will be saved to disk until you choose so by Save at shutdown or running save2flash (in terminal) during a session.
The fact that changes are in RAM makes the system running so fast !! :)

Fred

backi

#174 Post by backi »

Yes ...that makes The Dogs so outstanding..... (plus some other goodies )

Fast as hell......solid as a Rock.... almost indestructible (if you backup your save folder )
you can fool around like crazy ......no risk .... just fun :) :D :D

backi

#175 Post by backi »

Another Question fred ...spandey is complaining about some blinking of his Hardisk while surfing the web ......found it also sometimes on my Usb-Stick while surfing the Web .
I interpret this as read activities,because there is no possibilty something will be written to Hdrive or to Flash ........do you know more ?

LazY Puppy

#176 Post by LazY Puppy »

Usually while browsing the web there is something written to / or read from the browsers cache.

This might cause the HDD or USB flash LED flashing.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rufwoof

#177 Post by rufwoof »

If you have a swap file/partition then there may be disk activity even though running in ram.

spandey

#178 Post by spandey »

Hi Rufwoof,
In free command I can see no SWAP use. Can you please elaborate what other type of disk activity if I am running from Partition ?

backi

#179 Post by backi »

Hi spandey !
I am not quite sure if "free" is the appropriate tool to check some swap .
What about conky or Htop .
What do you want to accomplish,what to avoid .
Could you please elaborate further ,what you are afraid of .
And finally how is your menu.list looking ..........is there anything written to disk during session or not .
In think your main goal ,as far as i understand , is no unwanted saves during session .
Last edited by backi on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

Pulseaudio activated

#180 Post by zagreb999 »

Pulseaudio activated
From synaptic install
Pulseaudio
Pavucontrol
After that in synaptic again
Type pulseaudio
Right click on it
See mark recommanded and install all files

After that open terminal and type