DebianDog - Jessie - Continued

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
oui

#121 Post by oui »

Is the new ISO a way to Stretch or to SID?

Is it possible to remaster and hold it updated as ISO (*1 for the each daily actual SID version?

In this case I would find wrong to continue the discussion in this thread on the actual DEBIAN stable!

We already was in that situation a long time ago to be confronted to both Jessie and Stretch in the same thread...

I would be better to distinguish really well in the name of the thread:

DebianDog - old stable 32 bit

DebianDog - actual stable 32 bit

DebianDog - Debian candidate for new stable 32 bit

DebianDog - SID 32 bit (*2

depending of the real stuff!

(*1 = I recommand the Remaster Suite from Lazy Puppy's as it is so easy to rename correctly each part used in it (SID become fast not compatible to old SID stuff - remaster SID moment installation is not future extensibility but only for the use "as it is actually" and you need precision in giving names to your old stages of installation! The only one faculty not able in that very performant Remaster Suite is that it uses only one compressions mode and don't permit the other ones)

(*2 = probably the most interesting DebianDog if possible to create and maintain so...

backi

#122 Post by backi »

Hi oui !

Think you`re right ..........else there will be too much confusion .......and everyone is getting off track .

backi

#123 Post by backi »

Hi !
What i did ......installed grub4Dos with Synaptics .....(in Deb-Dog Jessie )
tried to apply Grub4Dos to an Usb-Stick ....but failed to work as it it used to do .

I blamed it on the Grub4Dos from the Debian Repos.

dancytron

#124 Post by dancytron »

backi wrote:Hi !
tried to apply Grub4Dos to an Usb-Stick ....but failed to work as it it used to do .

I blamed it on the Grub4Dos from the Debian Repos.
I noticed the same thing when I installed Grub4Dos from the Debian Repo's.

The grub4dos that is inside the Debian Dog installation file program works correctly (remember to change the directory names so they aren't the same as the installation on your hard drive or you'll screw up your save folder/file).

backi

#125 Post by backi »

So it`s correct to blame it on the Grub4Dos from the Repo.

fredx181

#126 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, oui,
backi wrote:Hi !

I blamed it on the Grub4Dos from the Debian Repos
What exactly didn't work as expected?
For me it works, well.. not how I would like it finding DD installs, but it finds puppy installs.
Anyway I found a mistake I made, so uploaded new version grub4dosconfig_1.8.9b
Install with synaptic or "apt-get update && apt-get install grub4dosconfig"
Maybe the small fix makes the difference for you.
oui wrote:Is the new ISO a way to Stretch or to SID?

Is it possible to remaster and hold it updated as ISO (*1 for the each daily actual SID version?

In this case I would find wrong to continue the discussion in this thread on the actual DEBIAN stable!
Hi oui, Depends what you mean with "new ISO" (indeed here begins the confusion :wink: ) If you mean the Stretch ISO, well it is based on Stretch and can be easily upgraded to Sid (and make a remaster from that).
My intention was to make a preview of what might become the next stable DD next year (I admit it's very early, but I was curious about which problems possibly needed to overcome)
I agree with you it's better to keep this thread for DD Jessie stable only.
I have already 3 threads to check and it's enough for me, so I won't open new separate thread for Stretch in the near future.
So if there are any updates for DD-Stretch I will edit the post here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 862#931862
and not make any further posts about in this Jessie thread anymore to avoid possible confusion.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean exactly, didn't try Remaster Suite from Lazy Puppy's, did you test it on DebianDog?
Edit: Oh, maybe you refer to what I wrote about Snapshot Debian, for Sid (daily snapshot) it can be like this:
Edit sources.list like this (the "snapshot.debian.org" line to today's date):

deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20161116/ unstable main contrib non-free

And uncomment Acquire::Check-Valid-Until "0"; in /etc/apt/apt.conf so becomes this:

Acquire::Check-Valid-Until "0";
Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

debiandog with antix linux kernel

#127 Post by zagreb999 »

great job is debiandog

debiandog with antix linux kernel
is much faster

ram usage is 1gb

with debiandog kernel only 600 mb

lenovo ideapad 1 gb, hdd 150 gb
regards

backi

#128 Post by backi »

Hi fred !

Installed new Grub4Dos ........everything is running fine :)

fredx181

#129 Post by fredx181 »

Ok!! thanks backi

Added to Changes and Fixes Information (6)

Fred

spandey

#130 Post by spandey »

Debiandog Jessie shows time incorrectly. How to display the local Time not UTC time?

dancytron

#131 Post by dancytron »

spandey wrote:Debiandog Jessie shows time incorrectly. How to display the local Time not UTC time?
Try this. Open the file /etc/adjtime . Change where it says UTC to LOCAL (or visa versa). Then run timezone setting program from menu.

This problem is because Windows wants the hardware clock set to local time and Debian Linux wants it set to UTC. If you have more problems, a google search for "debian time zone problem" or something similar will give a detailed explanation.

belham2

#132 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred,

Can you take a look at this pic, from when I was doing some updates, and look at the part where it says it is installing "Firefox-45.5.0-ESR"? What's going on there? Anything I can easily fix??
Thanks!
Attachments
pic1.png
(217.25 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

rufwoof

#133 Post by rufwoof »

My /usr/bin/x-www-browser is a link to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser binary file - which is sym link to /usr/bin/iceweasel. Similar for gnome-www-browser (sym link to /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser, which is then another sym link to /usr/bin/iceweasel). /usr/bin/iceweasel is then a sym link to firefox /lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr. Perhaps you have another default browser or a prior firefox that wasn't installed from the Debian repository? The Firefox-45.5.0-ESR is the current stable Debian version so the update attempt was correct (mine upgraded from 44 to 45 a few days back). Just to highlight however that I'm running a frugal install of Debian Jessie not DebianDog Jessie

I suspect that the upgrade you posted will have corrected things (so as to reflect the Debian repository) and will work fine going forward. Not so sure about the man pages however (from a quick look for man x-www-browser and man gnome-www-browser I don't get any man pages being shown).
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

belham2

#134 Post by belham2 »

rufwoof wrote:My /usr/bin/x-www-browser is a link to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser binary file - which is sym link to /usr/bin/iceweasel. Similar for gnome-www-browser (sym link to /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser, which is then another sym link to /usr/bin/iceweasel). /usr/bin/iceweasel is then a sym link to firefox /lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr. Perhaps you have another default browser or a prior firefox that wasn't installed from the Debian repository? The Firefox-45.5.0-ESR is the current stable Debian version so the update attempt was correct (mine upgraded from 44 to 45 a few days back). Just to highlight however that I'm running a frugal install of Debian Jessie not DebianDog Jessie

I suspect that the upgrade you posted will have corrected things (so as to reflect the Debian repository) and will work fine going forward. Not so sure about the man pages however (from a quick look for man x-www-browser and man gnome-www-browser I don't get any man pages being shown).
Hi Rufwoof,

Thanks for replying. I checked everything you wrote, and sure enough, I am missing '/usr/bin/iceweasel'. Not sure if I should try to create a link there so that it links back to Firefox, just leave it as it is, or delete all these symlinks & reset them up manually myself. On Fred's OS here, I've only used the included repositories, so I am not sure how things ended up like this. But knowing me, lol, with the way I fool around inside directories, who knows what could've happen.

I do notice that everything seems fine, as you note. 45.5.0 was ultimately installed, and I notice nothing untoward and/or not working correctly. I was just wondering how to get rid of those errors I saw in terminal as things installed.

Thanks again.

rufwoof

#135 Post by rufwoof »

Iceweasel was the default stable browser for Jessie but has subsequently reverted to using Firefox. My guess is that the repository/updates just accounts for that legacy and as such can just be ignored.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

fredx181

#136 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,
Can you take a look at this pic, from when I was doing some updates, and look at the part where it says it is installing "Firefox-45.5.0-ESR"? What's going on there? Anything I can easily fix??
First, note that these are just warnings, not errors.
I've seen it a few times before, and never had any troubles afterwards, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have to be fixed.
The reason for these warnings is that the install script from firefox-esr expects some symlinks in /usr/share/man/man1/ but instead finds just files (link group broken).
This is because of what the remasterscripts do (replace by 0 bytes files),clean up some space in man and doc directories to keep the ISO as small as possible.
So remasterscripts should skip symlinks while cleaning the man and doc directories, it's easy fix, I'll make soon. And also in the next ISO the symlinks should be included to avoid these warnings.

These commands give the same warnings as you had:

Code: Select all

update-alternatives --config gnome-www-browser
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
(for choosing another browser as default, if installed)

The fix is to create the missing symlinks:

ln -sf /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1/gnome-www-browser.1.gz
ln -sf /etc/alternatives/www-browser.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1/www-browser.1.gz
ln -sf /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1/x-www-browser.1.gz
Then the warnings should be gone when running the above update-alternatives commands.

Edit: for info, fix for remasterdog, quick-remaster, and quick-remastergui should be to just comment out the lines containing "type l"

zerosize usr/share/doc -type f -size +1c
 # zerosize usr/share/doc -type l
 zerosize usr/share/man -type f -size +1c
 # zerosize usr/share/man -type l
 zerosize usr/share/info -type f -size +1c
 # zerosize usr/share/info -type l
 zerosize usr/share/gnome/help -type f -size +1c
 # zerosize usr/share/gnome/help -type l
 zerosize usr/share/gtk-doc -type f -size +1c
 # zerosize usr/share/gtk-doc -type l
But again, the "update-alternative" type warnings are harmless, but just doesn't look nice :wink:

Fred

fredx181

#137 Post by fredx181 »

Packages remaster-scripts, apt2sfs and quick-remaster are updated to a newer version.
Install with synaptic or apt-get (first 'apt-get update' to update the package lists)
Fix is that the scripts will skip symlinks while cleaning files in /usr/share/man and /usr/share/doc

Not a complete fix though, in next ISO release I will include the man and doc symlinks (if not located, apt-get show the (harmless) warnings (see also above post)

Added to Changes and Fixes Information (7)

Fred

zagreb999

quick remaster

#138 Post by zagreb999 »

quick remaster does not include new customization of cursor, setup of audio mixer...

dancytron

Re: quick remaster

#139 Post by dancytron »

zagreb999 wrote:quick remaster does not include new customization of cursor, setup of audio mixer...
If by audio mixer you mean the audio setup program in the menu, I don't think the settings even survive a reboot. I've been meaning to report it.

I'll double check it again tomorrow.

belham2

#140 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Packages remaster-scripts, apt2sfs and quick-remaster are updated to a newer version.
Install with synaptic or apt-get (first 'apt-get update' to update the package lists)
Fix is that the scripts will skip symlinks while cleaning files in /usr/share/man and /usr/share/doc

Not a complete fix though, in next ISO release I will include the man and doc symlinks (if not located, apt-get show the (harmless) warnings (see also above post)

Added to Changes and Fixes Information (7)

Fred
Hi Fred,

Installed all three updates, all seems fine here (haven't done a remaster yet, so can't confirm zagreb999's findings). Thanks for all the hard work you do keeping this up....for ease of use and update-ability, still by far the best pup and/or pup-related distro on murga :D

Hope you are well.

P.S. I know you probably saw yesterday. I really tried hard with Toni, but he isn't in a place where he can let things be (no matter what happened or didn't happen in the past). Backi actually tried too. I think Toni--deepdown--is a good person, but somehow (as Backi noted) this all spiraled out of control for him. His anger (whether justified or not) grew past his ability to stop it and well, there's nothing that can be done. Hopefully, one day things will change. But until then, there's nothing any of us can do nor should we try. I just wanted to say thanks for not jumping into that mess yesterday. Once I read William's post, my heart fell because I knew I was going to be too late in trying to reach Toni and see if there was a way back.