Flash alternatives?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike Walsh

#41 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Semme:-

Nope. Just comes up as a blank page. Either that, or I keep getting error messages from anonymouse.org..... What is anonymouse.org, anyway; what does it actually do?

Had a free account for about 18 months, now.

Mike. :wink:

Semme

#42 Post by Semme »

Just a pseudo proxy. Here, do these all play if dragged into VLC?
Attachments
mikes_tunes.tar.gz
(605 Bytes) Downloaded 125 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#43 Post by Semme »

One more test. Go here, then paste >> http://listen.radiotunes.com/public1/up ... thjazz.pls

Do you get a chance to "save as?"
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#44 Post by Mike Walsh »

Scratch that last one! Sorted it. My own stupid fault: I was cobbling together what I thought was the URL I needed for UpTempo Smooth Jazz while I was waiting for you to get back to me. Got a "=" where I should have had a "-".....and then you posted back, and I saw I needed to add /public1, and .pls at the end.

It's working a treat!

Thanks ever so much for your detective work. I should be able to sort out any others I need now. Cheers, mi amigo!

I'll stand ya that beer if I'm ever in NYC..... :wink:

Regards,

Mike. :D :D

Semme

#45 Post by Semme »

:cool: Sounds good Mike. Happy to have been of service Mate.

Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

BTW, no need to 'drag & drop' those ya sent me. Just open VLC, navigate to the folder I've extracted them into, then Media>root>Downloads>Mike's Tunes, click to select, and 'Open'.

Works perfectly.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

Semme wrote::cool: Sounds good Mike. Happy to have been of service Mate.
Just to answer your previous question:-
Copy'n paste this line. Does it give you the chance to "save as?"

Code: Select all

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://listen.radiotunes.com/public1/rootsreggae.pls
I don't know about Firefox. Don't use it much. In Chromium, the page comes up blank.....but after about 5-6 seconds, the downloads bar appears at the bottom of the page, and there's yr PLS link.

Automagically saved for you... :lol:

Regards,

Mike. :D

PS: I shall have to research this 'proxy' business. Seen plenty of references to them over the years, but never really knew what they were for. First time I've ever seen more than one set of http...www's in a single URL. Very strange..! :shock:

Semme

#48 Post by Semme »

Ah, works, but, delayed --All good.

As for this proxy nonsense, these'll provide a quick overview:

https://www.cotse.net/

http://proxy.org/

Cause with JS enabled, your browser leaks all sorts of info >> http://browserspy.dk/

Mike Walsh

#49 Post by Mike Walsh »

One last thing I've noticed....another improvement over using FlashPlayer in the browser. When you play in the browser, every 20 minutes or so, you keep getting an interruption in the stream, where they try to 'encourage' you to 'upgrade' to the paid for, Premium account! Then you have to manually re-start the stream....(annoying).

Doing it this way, I don't appear to be getting any interruptions at all. I've now been listening for over an hour & a half...no loss of stream at all. In fact, I've discovered I don't even need to go near the web-site any more; having got the proxy links sorted now (with your help), straight into VLC & open the link.....sorted.

Nice one! BTW, had a quick butchers at browserspy.dk; man, that's scary!! Good to see, though, that with Linux, there's a lot of stuff they can't detect.... :lol:

Mike. :D

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

***POSTSCRIPT***

I am so glad we got this sorted. Not only is it working very well on the 'big' desktop Compaq, but I can now play music outdoors on the old Dell lappie.

She runs a P4. Now, despite the fact that P4's were designed to be very good at multimedia stuff (thanks for the info, Starhawk!), playing the Radiotunes website through FlashPlayer in the browser did have a tendency to make her run a wee bit on the warm side. This one (a 2.6 GHz non-HT) pulls close on 65W TDP. Add to that fact Dell's famously useless thermal solutions, and.....well; it's a recipe for a decent knee-warmer!

(I have it on good authority that Fossil finds it a boon for his 'rheumaticky' knees....)

Plus, Flash seems to gobble up the battery capacity like nobody's business. Running Radiotunes through VLC with the PLS streaming links uses less battery capacity, and she seems to run cooler, too. I use 01micko's pmcputemp; the fan usually cuts in round about 57/58 C. Flash makes her run round this point all the time; with VLC it sits a few degrees cooler....round the 48/52 C mark on average.

I'm well chuffed!

Regards,

Mike.

Pelo

Flashpepper is an alternative

#51 Post by Pelo »

see how flashpepper makes Our canadian friend happy ! Musher confirms that flashpepper works for You Tube. Clic the blue, please

s243a

#52 Post by s243a »

Is there an alternative to radiotunes? Perhaps something that plays public domain music?

learnhow2code

#53 Post by learnhow2code »

Pelo

Mp3 files are downloaded and played with Audacious

#54 Post by Pelo »

Mp3 files are downloaded and played with Audacious from Music bazaar if you desactivate flashplayer and set your media player in palemoon preferences. Only first minute of songs. Not full song.
Firefox, Slimboat, do it but with different process.
Attachments
nazareth.jpg
desactivate flashplayer to download your song via your jukebox
(85.05 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

flashplayer switcher, easy to use

#55 Post by Pelo »

see topic flashplayer switcher, easy to use. Whan flashplayer desactivated , songs fall in my jukebox (set as defaut audioplayer)