Slacko32/64 700 BETA 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

#301 Post by Billtoo »

gcmartin wrote:@01Micko. If you have a HDMI TV, would you test a boot to it? Video has worked on the few test TVs, but, seem to be an issue with sound. Are you and anyone else experiencing sound issues over the HDMI cable to the TV's speakers?
I couldn't get sound on the tv speakers in Slacko64-6.9.6.1.

I have Slackware64-14.2 installed on the hard drive and sound is
working on the tv speakers.
Attachments
sound1.jpg
(45.04 KiB) Downloaded 1351 times
sound2.jpg
(38.81 KiB) Downloaded 1336 times

Billtoo

Slacko32/64 700 ALPHA 3

#302 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 32gb SDHC card, pc is a macmini.

The computer is connected to a 32" TV, the cable is has a DVI connector
on one end that is connected to an adapter on the computer, the other
end of the cable has a HDMI connector plugged into the TV.

Sound is working from the TV speakers.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko64 Puppy, version 6.9.6.1

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod fbdevhw glx kbd mouse present

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Attachments
soundcard.jpg
(42.83 KiB) Downloaded 1289 times

zigbert

#303 Post by zigbert »

The 32-bit version has become my daily os. This alpha is the best Puppy produced for me.

Thank you Mick

Sage

#304 Post by Sage »

...32-bit version has become my daily os
Agreed. 32bit is the most utilitarian as it runs on (virtually) everything. Perhaps not the news micko wants to hear?!

escucha

64bit my deal

#305 Post by escucha »

recent kernel, but no default pdf works, tried Evince install from ubuntu repos.
problem says libs are not in usr/libs or not found, so can't read any pdf nor visualitze cbr, cbz my preferred comix files.
any solution?

Sailor Enceladus

Re: 64bit my deal

#306 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

escucha wrote:recent kernel, but no default pdf works, tried Evince install from ubuntu repos.
problem says libs are not in usr/libs or not found, so can't read any pdf nor visualitze cbr, cbz my preferred comix files.
any solution?
The /usr/share/examples/ps-pdf/puppy.pdf works for me with the included Evince in 32-bit, but if you remove Firefox, mozilla-nss, or replace the browser with something else it can give me /usr/lib errors too. Are you saying the ubuntu version works better?

Sailor Enceladus

#307 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Got around to trying the official Slacko64 6.9.6.1 on my dad's Core2Duo laptop today. This is the first Puppy for a while (since Tahr64 6.0.5 I think) where wireless shows up right away on it, looks like the b43 fdrv is working. :D On this laptop the battery icon actually shows color too, I guess it shows gray on mine with 32-bit because I removed the dead battery and run it plugged in - heh. I tried clicking on the puppy.pdf on a vanilla Slacko64 install and it did display in evince without the red error message.

Sailor Enceladus

#308 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

dead link
Last edited by Sailor Enceladus on Sat 08 Apr 2017, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

i agree that 32 bits is still a good choice

#309 Post by Pelo »

zigbert wrote:The 32-bit version has become my daily os. This alpha is the best Puppy produced for me.
Thank you Mick
Ah, zigbert opinion interest me. The best Puppy of all times.. NO ! TOO BIG ! :D 32 bit MAIN ISO (265MB) Thin Slacko 5.3.3 remains number one.
However i agree that 32 bits is still a good choice, with all existing apps.
I use alpha 2, translated in french Slaxen 6.3.2. Much better than 6.0 which had too many bugs, at least in its french version.
There are at least 70 mbs of useless libs (i;e 15MB in the ISO), for which no application is usable for Puppy, to-day. See what Mistfire has deleted to make his Puppy Slim (not barebone, it's not the same).Of course if your computer has more thaan 512MB ram and four processors, don't care, last slacko will run as a Puppy, full in Ram. The challenge is for our computers, with 512MBs. Last Puppies should care about thousands of poor users, typing on old computers (xp) saved from trash.
I would bet that among the 120.000 downloaders of Slacko, 90.000 still use Puppy on a 512mb computer. To Check.
Just an opinion.. don't care, we can use old ISOs. :idea: ... and old apps, but tiny.

A question, why some applications are not available in the PPM
and listed in woof packages (Gpicview .2.5 only as an example).
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 01:52, edited 2 times in total.

Sailor Enceladus

Re: i agree that 32 bits is still a good choice

#310 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Pelo wrote:
zigbert wrote:The 32-bit version has become my daily os. This alpha is the best Puppy produced for me.
Thank you Mick
Ah, zigbert opinion interest me. The best Puppy of all times.. NO ! TOO BIG ! :D Thin Slacko 5.3.3 remains number one.
However i agree that 32 bits is still a good choice, with all existing apps.
I use alpha 2, translated in french Slaxen 6.3.2. Much better than 6.0 which had too many bugs, at least in its french version.
There are at least 70 mbs of useless libs (i;e 15MB in the ISO), for which no application is usable for Puppy, to-day. See what Mistfire has deleted to make his Puppy Slim (not barebone, it's not the same).Of course if your computer has more thaan 512MB ram and four processors, don't care, last slacko will run as a Puppy, full in Ram. The challenge is for our computers, with 512MBs. Last Puppies should care about thousands of poor users, typing on old computers (xp) saved from trash.
I would bet that among the 120.000 downloaders of Slacko, 90.000 still use Puppy on a 512mb computer. To Check.
Yes, some of mistfire's changes look like they could be added back into woof-ce too, like the ability to open img files and pups. Maybe they will get a github account? You can now build slacko 5.3.3 with woof-ce also, but I don't think ext4 works? Slacko 6.x surprisingly works well for me on a machine with 512MB, the biggest killer is the latest Firefox and long youtube videos, having a difficult time finding a light up to date browser that doesn't piss me off :lol:, top choices for me are still Firefox 28 and links-2.13.

zigbert

#311 Post by zigbert »

The icon for Abiword seems wrong.
I guess I should have known how to fix this, but I don't know ... :oops:
Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
(25.24 KiB) Downloaded 691 times

Insomniacno1

Re: Slacko32/64 700 ALPHA 3

#312 Post by Insomniacno1 »

01micko wrote:Slacko and Slacko64 700 ALPHA 3

This is 32 bit and 64 bit version of Slacko built on top of the recently released binaries of Slackware(64)-14.2.

It is also using the very latest woof-ce experimental 'rationalise' branch.

DOWNLOADS

32 bit

MAIN ISO (265MB)

slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso

32 iso checksum

DEVX

devx_slacko_6.9.6.1.sfs

32 devx checksum

64 bit

MAIN ISO (a whopping 298MB :shock:)

slacko64-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso

64 iso checksum

DEVX

devx_slacko64_6.9.6.1.sfs

64 devx checksum

Changes
  • - new themes somewhat similar to the ones here.
    - new kernels: slacko64 4.1.32 : slacko 3.14.78
    - latest woof as of this morning (10 hours ago)
    - all iwlwifi firmware *should* be there
    - fdrv, which is only small, contains b43 and b43legacy firmwares (thanks to gyro, I cherry picked them from the sfs)
    - new wallpaper arrangement so icon and text is closer to centre
    - uses slackware util-linux (so encrypted saves wont work - but that is work in progress)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FEATURES
  • latest experimental woof with improvements to the init script from gyro as well as significant contributions to sfs_load plus many more 'under the hood' enhancements
  • new initrd statically compiled programs from jlist (aka wdlkmpx). These can actually be reproduced as part of the woof process.
  • numerous library and application upgrades from upstream including Firefox 45 ESR, CUPS-2.1.5, GParted and many more (see the Slackware changelog)
  • Many updates locally, including, but not limited to, htop, samba, pMusic (and friends form zigbert), peasy* apps (from rcrsn51), PupMates (from radky) and many more
  • Almost all apps have been recompiled against the Slackware64-14.2 toolchain for maximum stability
  • latest 4.1x LTS kernel compiled natively
  • UEFI boot capability is built in to the ISO image - turn off secure boot and fast boot first if running windows>=8.0
KNOWN ISSUES
  • B43 and B43 legacy firmware is not included. I'm looking for a way to better integrate this in woof - still brain storming that one EDIT: now if fdrv on the ISO
  • there is an SVG bug when using embedded images to do with glib/gtk - reported to upstream NOTE: as of 11/09/16 gtk+-2 is updated for a CVE. Dunno yet if it fixes the SVG bug
  • firmware is huge accounting for the size of the ISO image. Probably 30M of this could be trimmed, but I'll only do this on the i686 (32 bit) version
  • seems there is a bug with Puppy Apps not setting libreoffice as the defaultwordprocessor
  • old slacko64-6x packages are in the PPM; most of them will break so avoid them if you can, or try them and let me know what works. They will be removed in due course and replaced in the current repo with up to date versions as time permits
  • xsane is partially broken - sometimes works but of course that isn't good enough
  • 32 bit misses pure-ftpd so that is broken - fixed
  • 32 has less firmware
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be plenty of bugs in this.. it's a double alpha :!: - slacko and woof. As always all tests and feedback are appreciated.

Please whack this hard with sfs loading and various pupmodes (USB installs, save to CD/DVD installs and fulls if you dare). Qemu is in the package manager if you prefer to test that way.. don't forget to load the right KVM module for your processor!. (BTW, qemu was broken, now fixed in 32 and 64)

Enjoy!

NB: the chromium screenshot is @peebee's chromium64 sfs
Hi 01micko, your 6.9.6.1 slacko is the only puppy I got to boot all the way to the desktop on my tablet, any other ones end up in prompt asking to run xorgwizard - could you publish what it is that makes your puppy so special:)

Also, is it possible you could make one for me with Intel Atom baytrail Z3537E and Realtek rtl8723bs SDIO/rtk8723() + Realtek I2S Audio codec(VEN_10EC&DEV_5640) + Intel SST Audio device(VEN_8086&DEV_0F28&SUBSYS_80867270) firmware and blueman or bluez pre-installed. Plus an function to change the orientation of the screen from portrait to landscape, when needed?

https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/wik ... -GNU-Linux

https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723bs_bt

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2333979

Look at firmware below:https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... rs/rtl819x

https://www.google.dk/search?client=ubu ... +rtl8723bs

https://www.google.dk/search?client=ubu ... Brtl8723bs

I don't have virtual machine here, when I use this I have to hook up the tablet with an usb hub where keyboard and mouse are connected + usb wifi stick and I'm literally breaking my neck to see the screen as its tilted to the left. And frankly I have no idea how to do this.

Please, pretty please:)

JBJ

01micko

#313 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:The icon for Abiword seems wrong.
I guess I should have known how to fix this, but I don't know ... :oops:
It is probably because I upgraded shared-mime-info from 0.9 to 1.2 (same as FatDog's). I just have to find the right name of the symlink that is needed and create it in the Puppy Standard icon theme.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

Re: Slacko32/64 700 ALPHA 3

#314 Post by 01micko »

Insomniacno1 wrote: Hi 01micko, your 6.9.6.1 slacko is the only puppy I got to boot all the way to the desktop on my tablet, any other ones end up in prompt asking to run xorgwizard - could you publish what it is that makes your puppy so special:)

Also, is it possible you could make one for me with Intel Atom baytrail Z3537E and Realtek rtl8723bs SDIO/rtk8723() + Realtek I2S Audio codec(VEN_10EC&DEV_5640) + Intel SST Audio device(VEN_8086&DEV_0F28&SUBSYS_80867270) firmware and blueman or bluez pre-installed. Plus an function to change the orientation of the screen from portrait to landscape, when needed?

Please, pretty please:)

JBJ
What you ask is perfectly reasonable. I am not perfectly reasonable! (joke).

I will do what I can. I do have an Acer Iconia tablet (not UEFI) that I do have working with rotation and such but believe me it was one big mission!

The good news. We are still at alpha stage so there is a lot of room for improvement.

The bad news. I am but 1 and 1 only with limited time.

Be patient my friend. :)

-------

Hopefully by this weekend I can bring out beta with a vast array of improvements for ordinary desktop machines, laptops and tablets.

jlst

#315 Post by jlst »

Screentshots of the xorgwizard-cli you will find in the next release

Insomniacno1

#316 Post by Insomniacno1 »

@01micko, cool I will wait patiently(almost:) )

Any chance that this can be booted of NTFS or Ext2,3,4 partition so we can have larger than 4GB savefile?

@Jist, cool I really look forward to that:) Any chance you could get the Tahr and Lxpup people interested in that too, it might fix the issue of not being able to get to the desktop.

JBJ

zigbert

#317 Post by zigbert »

jlst
Looks really good - thumbs up!

Maybe it should be mentioned that vesa is the generic driver (the 2. screenshot)

zigbert

#318 Post by zigbert »

Suggestion:
The app-tray could benefit of a bit wider margin.
I have added a spacer (width 5) at both ends.
Attachments
Screenshot(2).png
(16.55 KiB) Downloaded 663 times

01micko

#319 Post by 01micko »

@zigbert - maybe next release I'll add margin as isos are just uploaded.

See main post

Sage

#320 Post by Sage »

slacko-6.9.6.3-uefi.iso
Download was defective first time but 2nd attempt OK.
Weird feature never seen before: PS/2 scroll mouse default shows USB in CP. Change and reload X. Default still USB. Wouldn't be an issue except scroll wheel doesn't scroll ! Scroll button OK. Works on other distros. Rather important for 32bit version as widespread adoption of USB mice tended to occur after introduction of 64bit machines.