pup save files

Booting, installing, newbie
z4un2008

pup save files

#1 Post by z4un2008 »

first of all... i am grateful for any reply.... 72 yo disabled veteran (mostly mental skips and forgots) :roll: ...

50+ years computers, been using puppy linux for years but getting a bit weary and tired... just use tahrpup for my daily news, research, sports, like a "browser pup" version would be fine with me...

SO... a couple of things i still do not get... WHAT in the world is pup save files saving and WHY does it just keep getting bigger??

For me, all i need is for tahrpup coming up and my browser working... good... like tahrpup still knows my hdw (acer aspire) & clean boots from my flash drive... that's all good...
BUT I HATE PUP SAVE CONTINUES TO GET BIGGER SO... IF IS REDO MY INSTALL AND NOT SAVE THE PUP SAVE FILES... DOES IT MATTER???

BETTER YET, CAN I DO SOMETHING KEWL IN THIS SETUP LIKE MAKE A PHONY PUP SAV FILE AND I WAS TOLD I WILL BE ASKED AT SHUTDOWN WHICH PUP SAVE TO USE... I CAN CHOOSE THE EMPTY PUP SAV

forgive me yall for the wordy post,,,, but i don't have S&&& to do

p.s.thanks for being here... i seldom use your help, but once every couple of years!!!! :shock:

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
The save file contains any changes you made to the system.
It also contains your browser cache and history and downloads.
Clearing the cache and history will help considerably.
Deleting the ever-increasing user database files helps too.
Moving the entire browser folder out of the savefile to mount home and linking it back will solve the problem.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

1. Normally...
I set up my Puppies so that...
They never autosave during the session, and...
At shutdown/reboot they ask if I want "to save or not to save" [that is the question].
Hence...
My pupsave normally never changes...
Unless I CHOOSE to save...
e.g. By clicking the "Save..." icon on the desktop.
However...
The necessary tweaks can be a little tricky to complete.
So....

2. A simpler alternative:
Banksy 3.
Read about the impersonator feature.
QUOTE:
"I have added the new "grab all" script via a desktop icon which I have called the "impersonator".
"the impersonator script is for grabbing all personalisations so that the new iso "impersonates" exactly what you were already using"
i.e. No pupsave is used.
Instead, a remaster is as easy as a single click [double click if you stay with the default] on the "impersonator" link.
All you do is tell it the kind of optical disk you have in the drive.
The rest of the process is hands-off until the disk is completed.
Then you just close all the windows/dialogs.
And reboot.

By-the-way, I'm only a few years younger than you.
Last edited by Sylvander on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 17:12, edited 5 times in total.

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

pupsaves are either ext2, ext3, or ext4.

If you choose ext2, that save grows without over-writing the old information. It is better to use ext3, that will over-write the save as it changes adding only what is changed.

One doesn't really need to encrypt the save file using ext2 if things like the browser and puppy itself get security updates. In the case of browsers, even old ones that are configured are just as good if not better as keeping up with the latest browser set to default.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'll second puppyluvr with regard to browser caches.....especially if, as you say, that's where you spend most of your time. FireFox is easy to limit; Chrome/Chromium take a bit more finding out where the settings are, but it's astounding just how big the cache can get, extremely quickly!

Mike. :wink:

rufwoof

#6 Post by rufwoof »

Sylvander wrote:1. Normally...
I set up my Puppies so that...
They never autosave during the session, and...
At shutdown/reboot they ask if I want "to save or not to save" [that is the question].
Hence...
My pupsave normally never changes...
Unless I CHOOSE to save...
e.g. By clicking the "Save..." icon on the desktop..
I do the same using DebianDog Jessie http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99460 - very easy to set up. Debian is very stable and whilst the program versions aren't usually the latest the versions provided are also stable. Updates are also great. Periodically the first thing I do after initial booting is run
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get clean
and if any new updates were made then I click the save desktop icon (that runs save2flash). Otherwise I more usually don't bother saving (store all data/docs separately).

I still however have Firefox EDIT, PREFERENCES, ADVANCED, NETWORK Override automatic cache management setting ticked and Limit Cache set to 10MB (on a fast internet connection so any re-downloading isn't a problem). Otherwise even during a single session the cache can become heavy.

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

My dad is going on 82 now, he too is also just using the computer for the odd internet browsing and sometimes watching photo's etc. He is running puppy in RAM only, so no save file. I set up the initial configuration for him and did a remaster. I know using a save file will just complicate matters for him as he is mostly computer-illiterate and does "silly" things sometimes which will definitely mess up a savefile. So now, whatever happens, he can just switch off the machine and start afresh. In fact, I too also run puppy just in RAM with no savefile. If you have enough RAM, running in RAM only, is to be recommended in my opinion.

buckaroo50

Re: pup save files

#8 Post by buckaroo50 »

z4un2008 wrote:first of all... i am grateful for any reply.... 72 yo disabled veteran (mostly mental skips and forgots) :roll: ...

50+ years computers, been using puppy linux for years but getting a bit weary and tired... just use tahrpup for my daily news, research, sports, like a "browser pup" version would be fine with me...

SO... a couple of things i still do not get... WHAT in the world is pup save files saving and WHY does it just keep getting bigger??

For me, all i need is for tahrpup coming up and my browser working... good... like tahrpup still knows my hdw (acer aspire) & clean boots from my flash drive... that's all good...
BUT I HATE PUP SAVE CONTINUES TO GET BIGGER SO... IF IS REDO MY INSTALL AND NOT SAVE THE PUP SAVE FILES... DOES IT MATTER???

BETTER YET, CAN I DO SOMETHING KEWL IN THIS SETUP LIKE MAKE A PHONY PUP SAV FILE AND I WAS TOLD I WILL BE ASKED AT SHUTDOWN WHICH PUP SAVE TO USE... I CAN CHOOSE THE EMPTY PUP SAV

forgive me yall for the wordy post,,,, but i don't have S&&& to do

p.s.thanks for being here... i seldom use your help, but once every couple of years!!!! :shock:
If you move the hidden files that grow, such as .mozilla, .thunderbird, .thumbnails outside of the save area and then link them back to the original place it will reduce your savefile quite a bit.. also inside of the hidden .cache are mozilla and thunderbird that can also be moved and linked back - don't move and link the entire .cache because some things may act funny (especially with deleting files).. anyway most files that grow can be moved and then linked back... moving them to where you can see your installed files (xxxx.sfs) and your saved file (xxx.4fs) will be fine...

Or you can put them on a different partition/drive, but you will have to automount the partition/drive... for things to work correctly... If your automount is still in the Startup folder you may have to restart X once your desktop shows... I moved my automount to the /etc/rc.d folder so it automounts the partition/drive prior to the desktop loading... I had to edit a couple script files for this to work..

You can download bleachbit.x.x.sfs load it, run it and then unload it (this can clean out a lot of stuff...

Good luck

puppyluvr

#9 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Sent you a few PM`s.
8)
And yes, /root/.thumbnails applies as well. (dot)thumbnails)
It can get big.
Try it with /root/downloads as I explained to see how linking works.
Inside of Puppy the directory will now appear with an arrow on it.
Clicking it opens its real /mnt/home location. Neat huh?
When comfortable with the process do the suggested directories.
Then reboot.

PS If you like me don`t see so well, try this:
control/shift/+ and control/- to change font size in the browser...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

buckaroo50

pup save files

#10 Post by buckaroo50 »

You may be interested in saving to a folder instead of a file...

Greyhound Puppy has that feature available... It is an XFCE desktop with the menus slimmed down to more practical use and less geek stuff...

Ease of use and convenience were the goal on the remaster...

A wbar and top (hidden) panel for ease of use to frequently used stuff...

Some screenshots are here:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/buckaroo39/ ... reenshots/

The download is here:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/buckaroo39/ ... ey-008.iso

mikeslr

Stunting SaveFile's Growth

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi z4un2008,

See my post here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 755#898755 -- about midway down it has as "options" what simion85 could do to keep a SaveFile small. simion85 told us he was running precise 5.7.1. You haven't told us which Puppy you are using.

Precise 5.7.1 uses a "Save2flash" file --it's just a bash script-- which Barry K wrote. Shinobar made some changes to that script eliminating much of the hassle of tricking Puppies which run from a hard-drive into thinking they are running from a USB-stick. That's why I told simion85 to install shinobar's pet.

Many new Puppies come with shinobars version of Save2flash already built in. Among those Puppies are Slacko 5.6/5.7, Carolina Vanguard, Tahrpup and every Puppy which used one of those as its base; for example the lxPups and the x-pups. If you're running one of them you won't need to install shinobar's pet. If you're not sure, installing the pet can't hurt. On the other hand, if you're running any Lupu, racy or wary shinobar's pet will be necessary.

If you're running a "4 series" Puppy or earlier, I think you'll have to work your way through jpep's entire thread to learn how to avoid having automatic saves. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 326#662326

Moving files out of /root --which is within your SaveFile-- into a folder (such as 'mystuff'-- on /mnt/home will work on any puppy. see my post to simion85 for further details.

By the way, with a Puppy set to not AutoSave you can just turn off the computer. One of the things which corrupts SaveFiles is loss of power while a Save is taking place. That can't happen when Puppy isn't set to automatically Save periodically or at shutdown.

Other advantages of running Puppies as I suggest are:

Your data files you create or modify are saved outside you SaveFile by the applications which create or modify them. Loss of your system for whatever reason doesn't result in loss of your work. And the size of your SaveFile doesn't limit the size or amount of your work/datafiles. Only the size of the partition sets that limitation.

You can test applications without committing to them. When you "install" a pet, deb, or other, it only exists in Random Access Memory until you manually perform a Save. You can, however, restart-X (or Graphical Server) to "register" that application on your system: see if it works, has missing libraries, or conflicts with any essential application. If you decide not to continue with the application, you can just shutdown/reboot your Puppy without Saving, thereby clearing the application from RAM.

One last suggestion from someone who also finds it difficult to remember "new things". Within your /mnt/home/mystuff folder you can create a my-notes folder. When you run across some post you think has information you may later have use for you can take a graphic snapshot, give it a meaningful name and save it to "my-notes". Similarly, many web-browsers have addons for saving entire webpages as pdfs. And those which don't usually will allow you to save an entire webpage as a pdf by "clicking" print and then selecting CUPS-PDF.

Hope this helps.

mikesLr

Sylvander

#12 Post by Sylvander »

Does anyone know how to change a pupsave file into a pupsave folder?

I want to do this in Slacko-5.7.0-pae.

scabz

#13 Post by scabz »

@ Sylvander

you could create a fresh install with a save folder and then mount your savefile and copy all contents into the savefolder and then reboot, i never have tried this method i just thought about it. there is prob a better way though.

Sylvander

#14 Post by Sylvander »

scabz wrote:...you could create a fresh install with a save folder...
Problem is...
Slacko-5.7.0-pae is an older distro, and doesn't offer the option of making a pupsave folder. :(

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

I think this is the files that add this option to Slacko 5.7.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 368#809368
Read down from here for some more versions.

There is also this:
savefile2dir 1.6 - Convert savefile to savefolder
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96472
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 673#855673
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)