tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
SFR

#641 Post by SFR »

LazY Puppy wrote:Can't connect to the Web via my GPRS USB Modem
666philb wrote:there's an option in the connect wizard for 'wireless GPRS modem' .. is this not working?
SFR@[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=810261#810261[/url] wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:3.) can't connect to the internet using my GPRS Mobile USB-Modem (it is detected and ready for use - as the messages say; menus are updated but nothing else happens after this; no menu entries, no option to connect - works always in Lucid and Precise)
PGPRS' files have been lost in action. ;)
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... issues/498
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

scabz

#642 Post by scabz »

666philb wrote:
scabz wrote:@666philb

I finally got around to compiling Qt5, this is for testing purposes and doesnt include Qtwebkit. Qtwebkit requires ICU for Unicode and will not compile or run with out it if you can include ICU as a bugfix or something then i can recompile with Qtwebkit. Really ICU should be included anyway.
hi scabz,

i would include all dependencies in the .sfs including ICU as the .sfs is mainly for people who want to compile qt5 apps.

there is something missing from your packages. qt5 has some cmake configuration files that install to /usr/lib/cmake... if you grab qtbase5-dev and extract it you'll see what i mean. each qt5 component has it's own cmake config files.
yeah i removed the cmake files didnt know they where needed, i am planing to recompile with qtwebkit anyway and will include the cmake files.

rerwin

#643 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy wrote:Can't connect to the Web via my GPRS USB Modem!

Is this a new feature of WoofCE built Puppies to not longer supporting GPRS USB Modems?

Met this already in Slacko 593...

By the way: Tahr 6.0 CE
The old pgprs depended on files kept in the "all-firmware" directory which is apparently not included in tahrpup. I assume that is intentional. However, there is a new version of pgprs that does not rely on all-firmware files.

When I updated frisbee to version 1.2 I also created pgprs-1.5 that used an architecture similar to my implementation of gprs access in frisbee-1.2. Both of those are available at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#757398
although there is a later frisbee (1.3.1) here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 962#780962

Please consider trying pgprs-1.5 in your tahr pup. I think it should work there. If it doesn't, I would like to know why/how and perhaps to fix it for tahr and other recent pups. I need your help to test it, because I still do not have a mobile/wireless modem for testing.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

DutchPuppy

no WiFi

#644 Post by DutchPuppy »

Good day everyone. I can't get my WiFi working on my ProBook 6570b with Tahr 6, I just updated it to 6.02 by the cabled connection, but still not work. If i connect an old Linksys WiFi usb adapter that one works, but would like to have the internal Wifi work!
Does anyone know the solution? Thanks!

LazY Puppy

#645 Post by LazY Puppy »

Please consider trying pgprs-1.5 in your tahr pup. I think it should work there. If it doesn't, I would like to know why/how and perhaps to fix it for tahr and other recent pups. I need your help to test it, because I still do not have a mobile/wireless modem for testing.
Tested pgprs-1.5 and didn't work.

PGPRS Setup appears and modem is recognized (icon on desktop), but all the entry fields are empty. After entering my modem device /dev/ttyUSB0 and the APN internet.t-d1.de it doesn't connect to the web.

I did try to use the entries from Lucid's PGPRS Setup, which has all the entry fields filled with presets, it doesn't also connect to the web.

Usually I'm just entering the modem device and the APN and keep all the entry fields filled with presets as they are. It connects fine then to the internet.

Image shows Lucid's PGPRS Setup.

Looks like WoofCE isn't a that good idea... :lol:
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(32.3 KiB) Downloaded 682 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

bigpup

Re: no WiFi

#646 Post by bigpup »

DutchPuppy wrote:Good day everyone. I can't get my WiFi working on my ProBook 6570b with Tahr 6, I just updated it to 6.02 by the cabled connection, but still not work. If i connect an old Linksys WiFi usb adapter that one works, but would like to have the internal Wifi work!
Does anyone know the solution? Thanks!
Any chance there is a Wifi on/off switch on this?

ProBook 6570b manual:
Wireless button Turns the wireless feature on or off but does not establish a wireless connection.
Have you run the Network Wizard to do a wireless setup?
menu->Setup->Internet Connection Wizard->Wired or wireless LAN->

This is a good guide to follow:
Illustrated Guide to setting up a wireless network connection.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65346
Follow this guide.
If you get to a step that does not work.
What step?
What do you see?

You could just be doing something wrong.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

melon688

#647 Post by melon688 »

tahr-6.0.2 TAIWAN edition

download
http://bit.ly/1HYT3rv

rcrsn51

#648 Post by rcrsn51 »

DutchPuppy wrote:I can't get my WiFi working on my ProBook 6570b with Tahr 6
There are lots of ways that something fails to work. What have you tried? Please be specific.

From the command line, run: lspci -nn

Look in the Network Controller section. Is this a Broadcom device?

DutchPuppy

#649 Post by DutchPuppy »

rcrsn51 wrote:
DutchPuppy wrote:I can't get my WiFi working on my ProBook 6570b with Tahr 6
There are lots of ways that something fails to work. What have you tried? Please be specific.

From the command line, run: lspci -nn

Look in the Network Controller section. Is this a Broadcom device?
I have tried to press the WiFi button but no effect, it stays orange, seems not loaded.

In network setup i only see my wired ethernet, no wireless one.
If i use an old linksys usb WiFi stick i do get a wlan0 and i can connect with that one, (RT73USB) But it is not stable as well, connects and disconnects again, also trouble...

I ran lspci -nn the output is:

root# lspci -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller [8086:0154] (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:1e31] (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1e3a] (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1503] (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1e2d] (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20] (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1e10] (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:1e12] (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 [8086:1e14] (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 [8086:1e16] (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1e26] (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller [8086:1e59] (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:1e03] (rev 04)
23:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: JMicron Technology Corp. IEEE 1394 Host Controller [197b:2380] (rev 30)
23:00.1 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller [197b:2392] (rev 30)
23:00.2 SD Host controller [0805]: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller [197b:2391] (rev 30)
24:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]

So it is Broadcom. I hope that i have been more specific now.

rcrsn51

#650 Post by rcrsn51 »

Type the command: rfkill list all

Is your WiFi blocked? If so, run: rfkill unblock wifi

If it is unblocked and still doesn't work, then you may need the "wl" Broadcom driver. I believe that it is available in the Tahrpup repo.

666philb

#651 Post by 666philb »

there a link to the wl driver on the first post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178

make sure you get the right one there's PAE and noPAE also different ones for the original 6.0 and new 6.0.2 iso (if you've installed any service packs.... you need the 6.0 drivers as you are using the original 6.0 iso)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

DutchPuppy

#652 Post by DutchPuppy »

666philb wrote:there a link to the wl driver on the first post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178

make sure you get the right one there's PAE and noPAE also different ones for the original 6.0 and new 6.0.2 iso (if you've installed any service packs.... you need the 6.0 drivers as you are using the original 6.0 iso)
rcrsn51: It seems nothing is blocked

I have tried the drivers from the directory mentioned above, I tried all the no pae ones (laptop got 4 Gig) but the wifi adapter isn't loading...
Do i need to run something from the command line?

peebee

#653 Post by peebee »

DutchPuppy wrote: 24:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... ed_devices
shows that 43228 is only supported in 3.17+ kernels with the b43 driver

Which version of tahrpup have you downloaded and installed? 6.0ce or 6.0.2ce, pae or no-pae? all will run on a 4g system.

You do need to use the wl driver on a k3.14.20 system like tahrpup - but you do need the correct pet for your version of tahrpup.

What is the output from:

System -> Pup-Sysinfo -> Sys-specs - Distrospecs and kernel?

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

DutchPuppy

#654 Post by DutchPuppy »

peebee wrote:
DutchPuppy wrote: 24:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... ed_devices
shows that 43228 is only supported in 3.17+ kernels with the b43 driver

Which version of tahrpup have you downloaded and installed? 6.0ce or 6.0.2ce, pae or no-pae? all will run on a 4g system.

You do need to use the wl driver on a k3.14.20 system like tahrpup - but you do need the correct pet for your version of tahrpup.

What is the output from:

System -> Pup-Sysinfo -> Sys-specs - Distrospecs and kernel?

Cheers
peebee
It is Tahrpup 6.0 right now.
And the kernel 3.14.20

This Puppy looks very nice but maybe its just easier to go back to the 5.7 one ! ;-)

edit: i tried the broadcom 3.14.20 pet (no pae) just now, but the WiFi adapter won't activate unfortunately....

rerwin

#655 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy wrote:Tested pgprs-1.5 and didn't work.

PGPRS Setup appears and modem is recognized (icon on desktop), but all the entry fields are empty. After entering my modem device /dev/ttyUSB0 and the APN internet.t-d1.de it doesn't connect to the web.

I did try to use the entries from Lucid's PGPRS Setup, which has all the entry fields filled with presets, it doesn't also connect to the web.

Usually I'm just entering the modem device and the APN and keep all the entry fields filled with presets as they are. It connects fine then to the internet.
LazY Puppy,
Thank you for that report. Yours is the first I have seen about pgprs-1.5. It has been in both of the latest lucid pups 5.2.8.6/7 and downloaded itself many times. It either has worked or no one cares to report a problem with it. I assume, then, that the difference is in the tahr pup environment, somehow.

To avoid highjacking this thread for our effort to resolve your situation, let's pursue this by PMs. So that I have something to work with, could you send me some information obtained after your attempt to connect using the inputs similar the ones you posted from lupu? The main evidence is the /var/log/messages file. If that turns out to be insufficient, I will ask you for a "pdiag" file, to see the broader picture. I have a supplemental debug addition to pdiag if we need it.

So, let's start will the 'messages' file as an attachment to a PM to me. We can continue that way and report the outcome here when we have one. Thanks for helping me with this.
Richard

peebee

#656 Post by peebee »

DutchPuppy wrote:It is Tahrpup 6.0 right now.
And the kernel 3.14.20

This Puppy looks very nice but maybe its just easier to go back to the 5.7 one ! ;-)

edit: i tried the broadcom 3.14.20 pet (no pae) just now, but the WiFi adapter won't activate unfortunately....
Hi

We still don't really know which version you are running - please confirm the exact name of the iso you downloaded.

Precise5.7 will probably be working as it came with the wl driver built-on

TahrPup needs it to be added - but it must be the correct version to match the iso - I can only advise which to load if I know exactly which TahrPup you are running.

Also - you must reboot after installing the pet.

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

LazY Puppy

#657 Post by LazY Puppy »

LazY Puppy,
Thank you for that report. Yours is the first I have seen about pgprs-1.5. It has been in both of the latest lucid pups 5.2.8.6/7 and downloaded itself many times. It either has worked or no one cares to report a problem with it. I assume, then, that the difference is in the tahr pup environment, somehow.

To avoid highjacking this thread for our effort to resolve your situation, let's pursue this by PMs. So that I have something to work with, could you send me some information obtained after your attempt to connect using the inputs similar the ones you posted from lupu? The main evidence is the /var/log/messages file. If that turns out to be insufficient, I will ask you for a "pdiag" file, to see the broader picture. I have a supplemental debug addition to pdiag if we need it.

So, let's start will the 'messages' file as an attachment to a PM to me. We can continue that way and report the outcome here when we have one. Thanks for helping me with this.
Richard
You are asking for the /var/log/messages from Tahr,
after I've tried to connect to the Web,
or for the /var/log/messages from Lucid after
I've successfully connected to the web?

I will check this also in SuperLucid (sulu_004.sfs)
which I've downloaded some time ago.

However, this might take a bit of time (need to reboot
another OS on each testing done to get connected to
the web). Since you are building Puppy using WoofCE,
please lead the WoofCE builders/creators to a point
where they will again include the PGPRS functions by default.

PGPRS (to connect to the web by a GPRS USB Modem)
is NOT legacy stuff
, so why in the hell do they
force me to not to use Tahr 6 and Slacko 6, since I can't downloadanything by the package manager e.g.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Note @melon688

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES IN YOUR POST ABOVE !!!

You might not know this, but scrolling horizontally to read posts contents is really incomfortable or just saying: this S..s !!
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Sat 14 Feb 2015, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rerwin

#658 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy wrote:You are asking for the /var/log/messages from Tahr,
after I've tried to connect to the Web,
or for the /var/log/messages from Lucid after
I've successfully connected to the web?

I will check this also in SuperLucid (sulu_004.sfs)
which I've downloaded some time ago.
Sorry for being ambiguous. I need the info from your tahr setup. But a run with any of the lupus 5.2.8.6-20140321 or 5.2.8.7 would confirm whether pgprs-1.5 actually can work for you. However, the tahrpup's message log file is the main one I need. No need to delay it by waiting for a sulu log file.

BTW, does pupdial work for your wireless modem? It should.

LazY Puppy

#659 Post by LazY Puppy »

Files from Tahr and Precise sent by PM.
RSH

DutchPuppy

#660 Post by DutchPuppy »

peebee wrote:
DutchPuppy wrote:It is Tahrpup 6.0 right now.
And the kernel 3.14.20

Hi

We still don't really know which version you are running - please confirm the exact name of the iso you downloaded.

Precise5.7 will probably be working as it came with the wl driver built-on

TahrPup needs it to be added - but it must be the correct version to match the iso - I can only advise which to load if I know exactly which TahrPup you are running.

Also - you must reboot after installing the pet.

Thanks
peebee
thank you for your patience. I used Slacko 5.7 before that ran out of the box with almost everything.
The iso i downloaded: tahr-6.0.2_noPAE.iso
I ran it from CD and installed it on a usb flash disc.
Booted from that flash disc.
Then i downloaded: broadcom_sta_v6.30.223.248_x86_32-k3.14.20_nopae_tahr.pet and installed it.
After that restarted, but the WiFi adapter is still not alive.