Puppy FTP server can't hold much data due to save-file limit

Booting, installing, newbie
sixshots

Puppy FTP server can't hold much data due to save-file limit

#1 Post by sixshots »

Hello, Does anyone know if there Is a version of Puppy Linux that has the FTP server but does not have a save-file size limit?
The reason I need this is that it seems to be necessary in order to load the "FTP Share" folder because files placed in the "FTP Share" folder cannot be larger than the folder's capacity to hold data, and that limitation seems to be just over 1 Gb. ( which seems related to the size of the save-file.)
The Puppy version I am using at this time is Puppy version 4.3.1 .
When I shutdown Puppy Linux the first time, after installing it to my hard drive (full install), it gave me the option to set the save-file size and I opted for the largest size I could pick.
I have some large drives and would like to get the most out of them using Puppy's FTP server..

Is there some other way to set the save-file size besides using the initial setup screen displayed after shutting Puppy down after first use?
If that procedure allows for utilizing much larger save-file sizes, that might solve my problem.

Thank you.

neerajkolte

#2 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi sixshots,

I don't know if this will help you, someone more knowledgable will confirm this.

In many puppies, you could boot from dvd and create savefile back on dvd in multisession mode.

Fatdog64 takes this one step further, you could create multisession savefile on harddrive too.
So at end of each session changes in ram are saved as new small savefile with date and time in it's name.
If you messed up in one or some sessions, you could disable loading of last n numner of savefiles by simply giving an boot option at next boot and deleting them afterwards.

As in this method savefile has no predefined size, only thing limiting is your ram and swap. (that's what I think, somebody will correct me if I am wrong.)

See if this helps.
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Ray MK

#3 Post by Ray MK »

Hi sixshots

Menu / utility / resize - should do it for you.

You will need to re-boot the system for the resize to take effect.
In theory, this action can be repeated ad-infinitum.
One of our developers used 4.3.1 with save files of many Megabytes.

A save-file sitting on a NTFS file system is susceptible to corruption as a result of fragmentation. A linux file system, ext2,3,4 is usually safer.

Hope that helps - regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

neerajkolte

#4 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi,
Yes, you can resize anytime, but having large savefile tends to slow down boots and shutdowns.
I know this because I once created 6Gb worh savefile. (Then again mine is not full install but a frugal one).

Also can anyone tell if running entirely in ram is affected when having savefile larger than ram.

Thanks.
- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

mcewanw

DebianDog with porteus boot method has save to folder

#5 Post by mcewanw »

As far as I know, DebianDog was the first Puppy-like system described on this forum which allowed users to save to a folder rather than a file. The folder can grow to whatever space is available. DebianDog is full Debian compatible (and hence tons of apps available from Debian repos for it), but, by default, has the look feel and size of any traditional Puppy system. Like any Puppy, it runs also as root user by default, but has the additional advantage that it is also fully multiuser capable. It uses Debian official apt-get/Synaptics as package manager, but can also load and unload squashfs (sfs) files (such as those created for more traditional Pups). Note that DebianDog has alternative boot methods which provide the option of using save file instead of save folder.

DebianDog: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225

Slacko Beta and probably some others of the newer Pups also now offer a save to folder facility (which is also now their recommended save method).

Slacko Beta: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94328

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Mon 25 Aug 2014, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

Do a personalised remaster and use a very tiny save file afterwards for personal settings (if you like tinkering all the time). Your system will be faster, you will save disk space and you will be saved from corrupted save files. I use no save file most of the time. Alternatively: Use sfs-addons instead of installing programs to your save file and keep your save file small. There is absolutely no advantage in keeping a monster save file which could turn into a corrupted mess at any given time. BTW - can't the ftp content be saved to another location ie. Outside the save file eg /mnt/home? What is the current location of this ftp save file/folders? Move it to mnt/home or another partition and symlink it back to its original location.
Last edited by nic007 on Mon 25 Aug 2014, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

neerajkolte

#7 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi mcewanw,
Fatdog64-700a also has save folder option, but I haven't used it yet. Thanks for the info.

@nic007 won't a remastered puppy still need a big savefile to load big ftp folder.
thanks.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

neerajkolte wrote:Hi mcewanw,
Fatdog64-700a also has save folder option, but I haven't used it yet. Thanks for the info.

@nic007 won't a remastered puppy still need a big savefile to load big ftp folder.
thanks.

- Neeraj.
what is ftp folder and where is it located? How does it work? A remaster will/can include everything in the save file

neerajkolte

#9 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi nic007,

I haven't used ftp yet. but @sixshots was having problem mounting ftp share folder, probably on lan.
please see first post.
Thanks.
-Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

neerajkolte wrote:Hi nic007,

I haven't used ftp yet. but @sixshots was having problem mounting ftp share folder, probably on lan.
please see first post.
Thanks.
-Neeraj.
Don't know anything about it either but if data is going to be saved/kept in large proportions in some file/folder which seems to be located in the save file (perhaps somewhere in/root of the running system?) wouldn't it be possible to move or symlink this share/storage/data file/folder to a location outside the save file (see my previous post)? Forgive me if 'm totally off track, I'm here to learn too.

chiron²

#11 Post by chiron² »

Yes, symlinking would be my method of choice. Copy or better yet move the folder in question (e.g. /root/ftp) to your home partition, and then create a symlink to it in it's original place. That way you can also have access to the data from outside of the given puppy instance.

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Every puppy has the option of using a ext2/3/4 partition as a save ...this gives a full partition of space.
Save folder has been added recently though I have had a save folder option added to puppy 2 and later.... neena neena :D

But anyway the save partition will give you what you need.

Mike

sixshots

Is a version of puppy that has unlimited save-file size?

#13 Post by sixshots »

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them all.
I'll get to working on trying them and let you know how I made out.

Update:
I found out I had a couple of other things going-on.
They were not apparent in the 80 Gb test hard drive but on a 3 Tb drive they became apparent.

For one, partition size limitation is 2 Tb as per Nixcraft unless I recompile the Kernel for GPT.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/fdisk-una ... r-2tb.html

Thanks again.